A Chef's Review of Disney Resorts

Joining in! Trying California grill for first time on our upcoming trip and can’t wait! Looking forward to your Le Cellierreview- never been!

I am even more excited for California Grill after reading your review!

I'm excited to hear about your Le Cellier experience as well. We will be there on our Epcot night, which is a Friday in Lent (where we observe an abstinence from meat.) Should be interesting!!

Sorry for the loooooooong gap, but Chorona got in the way, as wife is working from home monoplolizing the computer.

Le Cellier.
This review is for an experience in early December, and others may have had a different eperience since then, but here is ours. And we opted for lunch on this meal.

The Atmosphere
Its is a cozy man cave of a motif reminiscent of being in a niceky appointed wine celler (befitting its name). It makes a lovely venue for a couple celebrating a special occassion. My one critique is that the two tops are a little to tightly placed, and undersized. We had trouble fitting our drink, appetizer, and bread on the table at the same time. And a comment to whomever finished the tables, they look gorgeous, but they are way too slick for a restaurant table. They would make a nice surface for a tabletop shuffle board or possibly a summer practice curling deck.

The Food
Appetizers
I love mussles, especially fresh ones. So it is no surprise that I opted for the Winter Wheat Lager Steamed Mussles. They did not dissappoint. In fact I can honestly say they are the second best mussles I've ever had. They lost out to some I had while visiting Boston a couple years back, but beat my own. The bightness of the shaved fennel sets off the rich depth of the the broth in combination with the butternut squash. The mussles were so tender, and perfectly cooked, and combined well with the smoky flavor contributed by the chorizo and grilled ciabatta. The broth also does well with the pretzle rolls.

Here The Mrs. opted for the Seasonal Salad. It played well to her lactose sensitivity and here flavor palette. For her the high point with this appetizer was the inclusion of the butternut squash and roasted apples, which offset the sometimes bitterness that is endive. Everything sang together with the subtle port wine vinaigrette. The contrast of sweet and savory, with crisp lettuces and soft butternut squash, highlighted with the brightness of apple were a symphony on her taste buds.

The Main Course
As I've mentioned previously, my choice cut for steak is the rib-eye, and since Le Cellier is known for steak, steak it shall be. I was also recommended the rib-eye by many other sources, and with it being my preferred cut, the choice was obvious. The USDA Prime Rib-eye Steak it would be. As expected, a perfectly cooked medium rare, well marbled cut of the best rib-eye I've seen in many years st before me. I almost cried, and hesitated to cut into it, but my Pavalovian response was kicking in overdrive. The buttery richness of the meat was balanced out by the smokey flavor from the grill. But wait, what's this afternote? Is that maple? Yes, I believe it was. This steak had to have been brushed with a little maple syrup before grilling. That explained the extra charred bitts on the exterior, and the sweet maple flavor on the back end of the bite which pared well with the whole grain mustard. The potatoes were well executed, as was the wilted spinach. The spinach at least gave me the illusion I was eating a balanced meal. I wanted the brightness from the spinach after consuming the richness of the rib-eye. The whole entree was lovely.
The Mrs. Opted for the Le Cellier Filet Mignon, which aligned with her preferrences. After talking over her options with the server regarding her lactose concerns, she still opted for the mushroom rissoto (without any issues btw). She fell in love with her steak. And dispite all the richness on my plate, I absolutely had to dig in to some of the rissoto. This was one of my favorite side options (it may very well be in my top 5 to date). It was a lucious, mouthwatering, palaette coating, creamy earthyness, fork full of flavor. It linguered on the palette. The freshness of the aspargus tomato relish revived the senses by reawakening those tasted buds from the lullaby of the risotto.
Whoever designed the menu knew what they were doing in creating both entrees. Merci Monsieur, merci beaucoup.

Dessert
While I've heard rave reviews about the Maple Creme Bruleé, as a pastry chef, been there done that, maybe next trip. Not to mention richness was the theme of the entree, and didn't want something that creamy for dessert here (i mean it is lunch, and this is an Epcot day). I decided on the Warm Pecan-Butter Tart. It was the combination of flavors the called to me, between the whisky caramel, toasted pecans, and brown sugar anglaise. They did not dissappoint. Easily one of my favorite desserts on property. Not THE favorite, but a favorite none the less. A nice shortbread crust (no soggy bottom), halfway between pecan pie and a butter tart. Nicely executed and well matched with its accompaniments. The whisky flavor was very subtle. Maybe better pared with the specialy cocktail The Toronto than my iced tea, but it was a little too early for that.

My professed Chocoholic wife opted for what else but the the Duke Caboom's Favorite chocolate Nanaimo, despite not being a big coconut fan. She was significantly pleased with the combination of the maple meringue and brownie. The raspberry gave it some much needed brightness to recover from the chocolaty brownie (my opinion as well) since she opted to forego the ice cream (post risotto).

Service
Our service was top notch. She was obviously one of the best. A good balance of knowing how to read a table as to when she was needed and when not. Very informed about the food and preparation thereof. The meal was very well paced. And she was very warm and inviting. She was extremely helpful in helping my wife navigate the land of dairy that was scattershot through the menu. But what would you expect from the land of poutine, and cheese soup (Oh, Canada!) eh?

Overall
Pricy but very worth it. Especially if you are celebrating, and want a steak in Epcot. I would pick one of the lighter meal periods though. Opt for a late lunch/early dinner option here, because, as stated small parties a sat a little more tightly together than other spaces on property. This place is definitely one of our favorites. The atmosphere is enjoyable, staff can be very friendly (some a little too friendly from what we observed) and super helpful, and the food is excellent.

Last edited:
Nice to see you back. Hope that you are faring well in these crazy times. For me, the tight floor plan here unfortunately overshadows everything else. Agree the mushroom risotto is delicious and I'll never turn down the cheddar beer soup with pretzel bread. I'm just uncomfortable sitting SO close (like reach out and snag something off their plate close) to other parties. Will be interesting to see how they adapt their service given new distancing guidelines.

I am looking forward to finishing up some more reviews. Also planning a trip for our Anniversary in mid August. Can't wait to eat some more quality food. Hopefully wen will get reservations at the same places we had already set up before they got cancelled due to new reservation system.

Hello everyone. Just returning from a 5 night stay at Pop Century. Unfortunately, due to COVID, we were unable to dine as we usually would have owing in part to Disney canceling the DxDDP, and that many of the restaurants we were looking forward to eating at were not available. So we modified our dining accordingly. Even though Disney refunded our Deluxe Dinning Package we set that money aside to see how far it would stretch. Our usual method is Snack for breakfast, a1 credit ts for lunch (except for DHS we usually go to a QS, primarily a ronto wrap or Docking Bay 7) and a 2 credit ts for dinner. Our more frugal options on this trip included 3 Sigs, 2 Standard TS, 6 QS, 2 Dole Whip Stands, and 4 Food & Wine booths (7 snack credits worth). Keeping track of our food expences we spent an extra $300 in total above what we would have paid for a 5 night DxDDP (and we split a lunch at two of the QS locations). Mind you we would have been more extravagant in our food choices on the DxDDP and had more available options.

As many of you know dinning is very limted at WDW right now. We still ate at some very good places though, and were surprised by one location entirely. Here is a quick list of were we ate (in no particular order):

Everything Pop, Le Cellier, Topolino's, The Wave, Polite Pig, Ronto Roasters, Brown Derby, Sautuli Canteen, Oga's Cantina (no used for cost comparison to DDP), Pecos Bill's, Primo Piato, Captain Cooks, Homecoming, Food & Wine booths (Brazil, Funnelcake, American Pavillion, African/Refreshment Outpost), Aloha Isle, Tamu Tamu.

Don't worry we will be taking a deep dive into these locations in another posting.
But that will have to do for the moment.

TTFN

P.S. I apologize for any spelling/gramatical errors/incorrect verbage. We are self quarantining for 2 weeks, and The Mrs has commandeered the computer to work from home. So, I'm stuck using my tablet, and it likes to make random autocorrections.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!