A couple questions-March 2019

limace

DIS Veteran
heading down for a split Universal and Disney stay March 9-16. We will be at Universal the 9th-11th and BWV 11-16. Haven’t been to Universal in probably over 20 years and hear a few things might have changed :). Probably will be 2 adults and DD13 and DS9

-Recommend the hotels with Express pass this week? Hotel prices seem high-RPR is 424 a night and the others are about $500. Does that seem typical? Which would you recommend?
-Is best deal for tickets-2 day, 2 Park- UT?

Hotel prices are about that amount during holiday periods

Spring break also created those high hotel room rates

Going in a busy time period and staying at one of the deluxe hotels allows free unlimited ep for all in the room

For me, it is worth staying at a deluxe for the free ep than to pay for them

I’m sure others could have different opinions

I am so spoiled by ep, I always want it, however if you have that many days, it will not necessarily be necessary.

There are also single rider lines on some of the rides.

However, if you are wanting one of the hotels, they usually offer an annual pass rate about 90 days prior to checkin date.

You could upgrade one of the tickets to annual pass. You just have to show it before you checkout of the hotel.

We are only at Universal 2 nights, so my guess is that we’ll want EP. I was thinking this would be before most of the Spring Break rush and it’s after Mardi Gras but I may be wrong about that...

Limace use the search button at the upper right hand side

Look up past threads of last year early March to see any threads about crowd levels
It might help you know read how crowd levels were then so you have an idea what you could face in March 2019

For sure it's Texas spring break that week. I think Ontario may be that week as well. And usually there's another biggish Disney-focused state that is about that time - maybe Missouri? So that is going to affect crowds / pricing.

Personally I'd want the EP myself and would consider the hotel accordingly.

College spring breaks and school springs are all staggered the whole of spring so prices will just be higher all March and April. You'll love not only the EPs but how close the onsite Universal hotels are to the parks. No need for a car or buses (and the 2 hotels that have buses are unlike the Disney buses- there's always one waiting to load). It's lovely!

Hi I have to agree with staying on site at a deluxe with ep. It could be busy and with only a couple of days I wouldn't go without it. It really is awesome and you will be spoiled by it! Undercover tourist from what I read on the boards is one of the best places to get tickets. I would stay away from any packages with Universal. The room only rates then tickets is usually better. The only packages I hear that are good are from Costco sometimes.

It sounds like a nice trip!

For sure it's Texas spring break that week. I think Ontario may be that week as well. And usually there's another biggish Disney-focused state that is about that time - maybe Missouri? So that is going to affect crowds / pricing.

Personally I'd want the EP myself and would consider the hotel accordingly.
Yup, it is Ontario that week. I know there was a poll somewhere on here (TPAS maybe?) about spring break weeks and I think that week was the third most common. Not super scientific, but it points to some crowds likely. Spring breaks are definitely pretty spread out this year so there may not be one insane week but instead s lot of very busy weeks.

We’re likely headed to Universal a few days that week too and are having the same dilemma. The current deluxe prices are really not in our budget, and Cabana Bay sounds so great, but I think we’re going to want EP...haven’t decided yet what we’re doing! Currently looking into doing just one night deluxe to get the EP for 2 days. Also torn because we were thinking of just 2 days at universal anyway, but the ticket promotion has us tempted to do more. But maybe we just do the one night/2 days with EP and then possibly use the other 2 days worth of tickets to pop over and just hit some highlights sometime during the week.

Last edited:
At this point, I’m thinking I’ll book a couple nights through hotels.comand then see about switching if AP rates come out and look good-sounds like it might be worth an AP upgrade

We are only at Universal 2 nights, so my guess is that we’ll want EP. I was thinking this would be before most of the Spring Break rush and it’s after Mardi Gras but I may be wrong about that...

That's one of the first weeks for the 2 month period making up Spring Break. Mardi Gras at Universal will still be occurring. It starts early, January I think, and ends way after actual Mardi Gras, usually late March.

It's only part of Texas. Most of Austin is actually the following week. That's when we are going. Some may even be the week after ours. However, generally, most of Texas is the 2nd or 3rd week of March.

Does anyone have a guess as to when March AP rates might come out? We arrive March 26.

Usually mid to late January.

Update: switched to HRH when AP rates came out as it was actually cheaper (and my daughter turns 13 the day before this trip and she’d probably love the theming). Question about which AP pass to buy-looks like the season pass is blocked one of our days, so the next one up?

And how do the concerts work? We’d have fun seeing Sean Paul, I think.

Concerts are free if you are in the park

Some acts draw more crowds than others

You can sit and wait on the concert area on the ground or just walk up nearer concert start time

For those in the park, they can view the concert on the large screens of the show

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!