A DLR Guide for WDW Vets

This is fantastic. I'm just starting to play with the idea of taking my wife to DL for our 10th anniversary and this an immense help.

9. Touring Plans

For those familiar with the Unofficial Guide by Sehlinger, there is also an Unofficial Guide for Disneyland (can be found on Amazon and elsewhere). Like the WDW version it has touring plans.

One of the things I dislike about pre-specified touring plans is it only includes certain attractions. Better would be a custom touring plan for the rides you want to go. This is what RideMax provides (www.ridemax.com). RideMax will create a custom itinerary for the rides you want to go and the day on which you visit. I have personally used RideMax at times and have found their customized touring plans to be quite good - especially on very busy days.

TouringPlans.com (the people behind the Unofficial Guide) has entered the DLR market over the last year. Like WDW, they have a smartphone app "Lines" for DLR which I use and really like. Their crowd prediction calendar that is so respected for WDW is not as respected at DLR. Their wait time data seems to be quite good. Also like, WDW they offer online touring plans. But I still prefer RideMax to the TouringPlans website when it comes to creating touring plans.

Any update to this section? Do you still prefer Ridemax over TouringPlans?

Thanks! Love this write-up. :)

Any update to this section? Do you still prefer Ridemax over TouringPlans?

Thanks! Love this write-up. :)

Truthfully I have not used either for looking at touring plans for several years now. So I cannot give any updated info on this. I have always liked how RM does things.

Last edited:
DH and I will be in Anaheim Feb. 17-24. We plan to visit DL & DCA 3 of those days, currently Thursday, Friday and Monday. I have 2 questions:

1) Will weekend crowds be such that we should go Tuesday instead of Friday?

2) For those dates in February, would there be much advantage in doing the dining package for either or both PTN/WOC?

TIA!

1) Will weekend crowds be such that we should go Tuesday instead of Friday?
Weekends have been fairly busy of late. While Friday will probably be busier than Tuesday, one thing to consider is that the operating hours are markedly longer on Friday (8-midnight at DL, 8-10 at DCA) than on Tuesday (10-9 at DL and 10-8 at DCA). PtN and WoC are being presented nightly right now, but Diamond Mad T Party is only on weekends (Fri to Sun, weather permitting). Additionally, Mickey and the Magical Map appears to be dark on Tue, Wed, and Thu. Depending on whether you're rope drop people or not, Fri is DCA's EMH morning and Tue is DL's EMH/MM morning.

2) For those dates in February, would there be much advantage in doing the dining package for either or both PTN/WOC?
The dining packages do always have the advantage of allowing you a prime viewing spot with less wait/stress (in theory). That being said, with the rainy weather they've been experiencing, it's a gamble if you want to purchase the package or not. In theory, they do not refund you or compensate you if the parade or WoC is cancelled due to weather. The parade will not be presented if it's raining. WoC will not be presented if it's really windy (so WoC is cancelled a lot less often than PtN). Personally, I would try to see PtN on the weeknight (Thu or Mon or Tue) or the second showing on the weekend and then I would get a FP for WoC on whichever night you aren't planning on seeing Disneyland Forever/PtN.

Thank you for this post! It has helped me a lot. I've still got a lot to think about to plan our trip, but I at least now know where to start!!!

While the dining pkg for WoC is fine, we opted out due to the cost and due to the viewing area not being as good as you can get if you simply wait in line, though you do have to get there an hour and a half or so early. We waited and got superb viewing area, and though we missed out on a more leisurely meal, we saved that money and got better views.

Is there a similar thread to this only in reverse? A WDW guide for DL vets? Thanks!

Is there a similar thread to this only in reverse? A WDW guide for DL vets? Thanks!

There is but I really need to update it. Hopefully some time this year. Click on the the link in my signature below on DLR tips.

One big change is that the TGM service is gone or virtually gone. A newer service that lots of people like is EasyWDW.

Another big change is the MDE - My Disney Experience - which covers multiple things including FP+ (advance FP reservations 30-60 days before your trip).

:wizard:

Great information! Thank you. I am thinking of going to DL inJune.
June 3-9. I was thinking of going to DCA on Monday and DL on Tuesday. We are not staying on site. What do you think? Or should I go DL on Monday and DCA Tuesday?.

Thank you for this thorough and informative information guide for WDW vets!

I just wanted to confirm if this is still true:

"3. FP Initialization for Both Parks – The ability to actually get a FP depends on the entrance media being initialized that day when you pass through the park turnstiles. When you do this at either DL or DCA, your entrance media are initialized for both parks at once. This means you can send FP runners to the opposite park you entered to get FPs for the whole group even though no one in the group has actually entered that park on that day."

Thank you for this thorough and informative information guide for WDW vets!

I just wanted to confirm if this is still true:

"3. FP Initialization for Both Parks – The ability to actually get a FP depends on the entrance media being initialized that day when you pass through the park turnstiles. When you do this at either DL or DCA, your entrance media are initialized for both parks at once. This means you can send FP runners to the opposite park you entered to get FPs for the whole group even though no one in the group has actually entered that park on that day."

First, yes that is still true. Just did it again earlier this month.

Second, I really need to update this thread. One of the things holding me back is that the new Disboards has a much smaller limit on thread size and it will mean not only updating the thread but breaking it up into smaller pieces. If it was not for that I would have updated it already. But now I am going to have create a new thread and break it up. And the hassle of it all combined with limited time has made me keep putting it off.

One of these days...:)

:wizard:

Thank you so much! I was so worried I wouldn't enjoy DL because I am so used to staying inside of the "Disney Bubble" but this is perfect!

Hello. I was wondering if they bridge discounted tickets when upgrading at Disneyland like they do at Disney World. TIA

Hello. I was wondering if they bridge discounted tickets when upgrading at Disneyland like they do at Disney World. TIA

No. Some people have gotten some pixie dust and had their ticket upgrades bridged, but the policy is that they don't do that.

Bob

Thanks - lots of great information and tips. We'll be going in a few weeks (under 60 days). We've booked our dining but the DL park schedule is only updated till early Nov. Does anyone know whether they have a different parades and fireworks schedule for early Dec or a thread that discusses this (i.e details about the holiday themed celebration)?

I just glanced at the calendar and it looks pretty sparse for much of November (i.e., not yet complete). The holiday season official starts on 11/10, so it's likely that some of the entertainment schedule will change at that point. The Parks Blog posted some information about what will be offered during the holiday season.

Thank you for this, great write up!

We are thinking of going for the first time 9/23-10/1

What are the chances that we will miss SM and HM ? I understand they take them both down possibly for Halloween overlays, but am hoping we're going late enough in September where it will be back up and running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!