A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes - A Solo Trip RE-DO (Dec. 2019) - and a Big Family Trip (Jan 2020) (Pre-Trip) Report (updated 11/03/19)

43 Days and Counting!!

As I mentioned, I ordered an upgraded Magic Band and got the notification that it had shipped this morning! I am a bit concerned because though I paid for the Stars & Stripes one, the photo in my profile is grey. I sure don't want a grey band! The postal service says that a label has been created, but there's no delivery date in the system yet.

In other updates since I was last here, I was able to push my FP on 7 Dwarfs on Day One (Monday, Sept 2nd) from the 12:35 to 1:35 window to a 1:50 to 2:50. While this is smack dab in the middle of parade time, I am grateful for the extra breathing room to get from the airport to ME to the resort.

I am not holding out for my room being ready early at all since I am checking in on Labor Day. However, I will probably claim my bag myself and take it with me on ME. This way, I can shove all my carry on items (lap top, trade big purse for tiny purse, etc.) so that Bell Services needs to only store one bag.

This, by the way, is a change from traveling with DH. He never wants to go into the parks until we are settled into the room and unpacked. And honestly, the last 2 years, we haven't even gone into the parks on Day 1, but instead just had a resort day. And while I, too, like to settle in, I won't let it keep me on this trip.

OK. So Day 4 is where I turn into a bit of a curmudgeon thanks to SWGE AND Disney's decision to change basically every single ride at DHS into Tier 1 FP attractions.

I have always enjoyed DHS. Here's Jan. 2018

Disney-Jan-2018-1.jpg

and March 2012
hollywood_studios_march2012.jpg

I enjoy walking around and checking things out. Sitting on the patio at the Brown Derby Lounge with a snack and a glass of wine has been something we both like doing as we watch the shows and the people.

On our last trip, I got SDD FP+ around mid-day. However, there were SO many people that as soon as we finished the ride, we left TSL and didn't explore or even attempt to ride Toy Story Mania or Swirling Saucers.

Right Now, here's my plans for Day 4 - Sept. 5th - which is my last full day.

• 5:35 to 6:35 - Slinky Dog
  • 8:00 PM - Spice Road Table
My thinking was to take the Friendship Boat over to Epcot...but in all honesty, this is still cutting it pretty close.... and though I am stalking My Disney Experience daily, I haven't been able to shift that FP for Slinky any earlier. I'd really rather it be before lunch time...

So, this is where the changes and the way FP+ works doesn't work for me.

The only fastpasses I can make and keep SDD is at Hollywood Studios. But, to be honest, there is nothing else at Hollywood Studios that I WANT to do to use a FP. Because most of the shows you can get into without a problem. Even when DH & I both go, the single rider line for Rock & Roll Roller Coaster is a good choice for us.

And, do I want to go back to Epcot for Illuminations for another late night? Especially if I have to rush?

I want to spend time at Food & Wine, but staying locked into my FP at DHS means I have no ability for FP at Epcot without sacrificing the DHS one.

And do I want to even attempt EXTRA extra Magic Hours at DHS since they begin at 6 AM? Knowing that I will have to take a bus or Minnie Van. And yes, I am a morning person, that's super duper early...

AND with the EXTRA extra magic hours at DHS only beginning on August 30th, I don't know if anyone here at The DIS or any of the other blogs I follow will have much of an idea what the crowds, flows, and strategies may be.

When I first began planning, I figured that unless it was super empty, I would just skip SWGE and love up the rest of the park. Because while I can manage crowds better than DH, this solo trip IS about relaxing and enjoying things at my own pace, whatever that may be. Sometimes, I move fast and other times slow. I had also hoped to spend a fair amount of time in Toy Story Land to soak it in. AND ride the other offerings there.

I also cannot forget that I will have little bits of work to do each day to stay on top of my business. Hopping back to the resort from MK is easy. And having a solid break from one park (like wrapping up mid day at AK) allows me to play a lot and work a little.

I don't want to complain, truly. Yet, I will say that my Day 4 plans feel pretty shaky.

What do YOU think about my Day 4 Dilemma?

Where do you stand on SWGE? SDD? The New Fast Pass changes? Skip DHS? Just go to Epcot or back to MK or AK?

The photos of you and your hubby are sweet. :flower3:

I think last day decisions are the hardest. They should be fun, memorable, but not exhausting because travel day looms. Me? I'd spend the most of the day at Epcot-and that goes double during Food and Wine.
There are Food and Beverage pairings that are fun to attend. Here's the link with info on the calendar, details. These can be booked online, which is nice.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/food-wine-food-and-beverage-pairing/
It's hard to tell how busy DHS will be with SWGE open. I agree travel time might be cutting it close, kind of hard to tell. On the other hand, it's easier when you are a solo to make quick travel and ride decisions, so that helps.

And just to add a bit, my husband is retired military. He worked in contracting and the government in the years after.
We enjoyed our years traveling (and moving) here and there.
He retired a couple of years ago. We moved to Nebraska and this is where we are happy to stay.
Three cheers for the Midwest! :flower:

💕DH sure is a cutie 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

This SWGE thing combined with the goofy Tier 1 changes sure does make planning challenging. I DO want to spend as much time at F&W as possible. One of the reasons I got the Dining Plan was because so many of the booth offerings are a snack credit 😊 I love the IDEA of the planning, but the only one I could make on this trip is Chicken & Beer and I'm not a big beer fan.

LOVE hearing about all the retired military folks. DH did 4 years at the Naval Academy + 26 years in the Navy. He went to the private sector for a few years, but took a job as a civilian when we moved from DC to Ohio. We LOVE it here and are happy that this is our retirement spot!!

29 Days and Counting!!

After ordering my Magic Band...it arrived GREY. A call to Customer Service and a sweet IT lady, we saw that while I had placed the order, and a hold had been put on my credit card, the order didn't go through. She re-set my account so that I could order the Magic Band I wanted and it arrived this week!

new-magic-band-e1564876131475.jpg

I also got my Magical Express information: my letter/ticket along with the luggage tags. To be honest, though, I am going to go ahead and collect my bag from the baggage claim and bring it with me. Though I know this will delay me a bit in getting to BLT and the Magic Kingdom, this will allow me consolidate anything I carry on into my suitcase and change out my travel purse - which is usually this ⬇⬇⬇ to either a tiny cross body.

BrooklynandPrairie-1.jpg

OR just stash everything in my pockets. Last year I discovered the freedom of not having to go to bag check thanks to a Magic Band and a small "card case" wallet that held my DL and a credit card. My smart phone fits in my back pocket, so if I have a full charge, I can manage a half day in the parks.

smartphonecrossbody-1-300x236.jpg

When Amazon had their "Prime" Days, I ordered one of those power banks that charges your phone.

⬅⬅AND I've done the test: if I do end up taking my tiny cross body, it hold my phone, a power bank, a cord, and all my necessary cards/IDs.

And I guess this brings me to the subject of WHAT TO WEAR.

I'm a very basic kind of gal. I am busty so not everything fits well. And I don't do big prints. So, my everyday world is made up of lots of solid colored shorts and mostly solid tees. And the kinds of tops a lot of ladies would wear with suiting to work, but fit me well.

The last two years, we've been in January. That has meant lots of layers and even jackets. But I know that September weather is FAR different. In the past, I probably would have gone with clothes I golf in: shirts with wick-able fabrics and simple skorts. However, I'd rather have the option to go bag-less which means I need POCKETS.

So, rather than overthink anything, I've decided to go with a basic uniform: denim shorts (in white and blue) with various tees. And, a few pair of white denim capris for any night I want to feel more dressed up for dinner. I know, especially, for my Monday Night "Highway in the Sky" I want to wear something dressier than shorts.

The other day, I had some time to kill before a doctor's appointment and popped into the Disney Store at an outlet, and picked up a couple of tees for only $12 each. AND since I know that I'll likely change clothes when I take my mid-day break (because I don't want to wear sweaty clothes all day). Besides, having a washer and dryer in my room allows me to cut down on what I bring.

As I'm sure many of you do, I've also been tinkering with my Fast Pass Plans and Dining Reservations....more on that later today or tomorrow.

What about YOU? What do YOU like to wear in the park? Do you bring a bag? Or stuff everything into your pockets?

24 Days and Counting!!

Time sure has flown! How is it that I am just three weeks away from being right smack in the middle of the magic? In most ways, of course, that's a good thing. However, on the flip side, DH has a business trip beginning Sunday for a week and then he will be heading to South America on Aug. 31st. On my end of things, that means ensuring he has all the right clothes ready to pack. (I match his shirts & ties for his suits 😉 )

20180105_163000-e1565372899421.jpg
AND I need to get to work to get some blog posts written ahead of time to post while I am playing with Mickey...as well as pre-schedule as many posts as possible on social media. (Thank goodness there's an app to help me manage Twitter, Facebook, and Linked In for work)

<== this Mickey is at Shades of Green

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I have been tweaking my plans a bit here and there. I'm sure I'm not the only one that does that.

On arrival day - Monday, Sept 2nd - I've made minimal changes.

My FPs are still for: 7DMT, Peter Pan, and Meeting Mickey & Minnie at Town Square. My flight arrives at 10:30 AM and my first FP is at 1:50 PM. This means I may not see the parade, but I have made space in my plans later in the week for this.

My last FP is for Mickey/Minnie at 4:10 to 5:10. That will give me time to head back to my room and unpack and maybe rest a little (since I will be getting up at 3 AM to make my flight!)

MK is closing at 6 PM and I have no plans to park hop anywhere else. I am still happy with my choice to do the Highway Dine in the Sky.

Especially since it begins and ends at my hotel area. And, since I didn't want to go to the Halloween Party necessarily, I still get to see the Halloween Fireworks as part of

On Day Two - Tuesday, Sept. 3rd - I've changed a few small things:

I will be partaking of EEMH beginning at 7 AM. And, rather than criss-crossing the park to do Fantasyland or Tomorrowland EMH, rushing to Frontierland for 2 FPs then BACK to Fantasyland for lunch, here's the new plan:

7 AM to 9 AM ==> EEMH - Tomorrowland and/or Fantasyland

9:20 - Breakfast at BOG replacing my lunch reservation (Since I am on the dining plan, this is a good use of a QS credit)

20180111_105102-e1565372775759.jpg

• 10:25 to 11:25 - 1st FP - Big Thunder
  • 11:25 to 12:25 - Splash Mountain

Grab a snack - like maybe a Dole Whip - and then find a spot in Frontierland / Liberty Square to see the Parade. I hear it's a little less crowded over there than on Main Street.

• 2:30 to 3:30 - Seven Dwarfs

THEN head back to the room to rest/change clothes/recharge.

Then, I will be heading over to EPCOT.

With all the construction, I am debating about just hopping a bus at the MK bus stop to The Beach Club and entering through the International Gateway rather than doing the Monorail. And maybe I can grab a last minute FP to Frozen Ever After (which I've never done. And I want to check out some of the booths at F&W.

I have an 8 PM dinner reservation at La Hacienda de San Angel, where the main draw is, of course, those Illuminations Views. There are EMH at Epcot in the evening, so I can take my time heading back to the monorail, maybe catching a ride / on Spaceship Earth and/or Test track.

Overall, I have realized that while I will be on my own...and more flexible. I also don't want to expend a lot of energy going back and forth. I am also reminding myself that while I grew up in Texas, I haven't had to deal with September Florida Heat & Humidity in a very long time. We usually go in January. So, a little less crossing back and forth seems smarter.

Most of My Day 3 Plans - Wed, Sept. 4th - have stayed basically the same

• AK in the morning. FP's to the Safari at 9:15 and FOP at 1:05. Lunch at Satu'il Canteen. Though I have an Everest FP at 2:10, I am hoping to tackle that before my Safari during EEMH + Single Rider Line.

Because I would love to, again, be wiser about my touring: Asia, Africa, Pandora, and then leave AK during the hottest part of the day.

Now, I'm considering the following:

Since Monday and Tuesday are both going to be LONG days - up early in the morning 3 am on Monday! and up late at night - I may need to just get some sleep. I had pondered doing a Desert Party that evening, but now I"m thinking it would be better to do on Thursday evening (my last day).

Right now, I have a dining reservation at Kona Cafe for 5:25. I can do this by keeping that reservation for an early dinner at Kona and then heading back to the room. OR if I'm feeling energized after dinner, I can

• pop over to MK for a little while.
  • I can always hang out at the Poly after dinner for the fireworks
  • pop up to the California Grill Lounge for a cocktail and fireworks.

OR -

Cancel dinner, head to Epcot for F&W booths for snacks as dinner, and then back to the room in the evening to rest/cool off / do a little work.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Do my Tuesday plans look more thought out? What would YOU Do on Wednesday? Is there something I'm missing in here?

Back later with my plans on how I've decided to handle DHS, SWGE, and my last full day....

15 Days and Counting!

I am feeling a little blue in this lull....

There's not much to be planned for this trip - and we are still 80 days from our FP+ window for our big family trip in January. What to do with myself besides watch (obsess) YouTube's from The Dis, The Trackers, and Disney Food Blog? And stalk my favorite Instagrammers?

Well, while we were sitting on the porch just now, I floated the idea to DH that maybe we should do Disney for Christmas. He told me I was a little Disney Obsessed. But also didn't say a flat out NO. To be honest, since the Christmas Packages were announced, I have been wondering if this would be a good fit for us.....

Right now, we are due to check into our condo in Ft. Myers Beach on Dec. 27th. Our family time at the GF begins Jan. 2nd.

Ft. Myers Beach time is our family tradition for my MIL's birthday, which is New Year's Eve. Two of DH's sisters have places in that area as "winter/snowbird" homes.

We will leave Ohio on the 26th, drive to the FL/GA line, and then finish the drive to Ft. Myers on the 27th. I despise the drive. It makes for long days and we are worn out on our first evening in Ft. Myers Beach. DH isn't game to break it up over 3 days, though. And, since it looks like we'll be hosting one of DH's sisters, her hubby, and 2 boys, I'd love to not be so darned tired.

With leaving on Dec. 26th, we haven't put up a tree...and since it's just the two of us...and we have the time off....Why not look at the options? Especially if I can find a CL room at the Grand........

12 Days and Counting

I realized I never circled back around to share what has shaken out for Day Four - Thursday, Sept. 5th - since I did my initial planning.

Though, like many of you, I'm not exactly thrilled about the new tiers for Hollywood Studios, there isn't anything we can do about it. So, rather than complain, I'm just going to do my best to enjoy the trip without stressing out over things I cannot control.

Though I'm a morning person, I'm not yet sure if I want to attempt to be at DHS for 6 AM EXTRA extra Magic Hours. There's a big difference between getting up and walking to Magic Kingdom before sunrise (Because I've looked and Sunrise that week is around 6:50 AM) and being out at a bus stop more than an hour before sunrise.

I will be interested in reading what folks are finding as they face these early hours - in the park in general, in Toy Story Land, and in SWGE.

20190108_143531-e1566395878162.jpg

Most of my Day 4 Plans have shifted

Head to DHS before public park opening at 9 AM for sure. Just not committing to being there at 6 AM

I am hoping to explore Toy Story Land in the morning without it feeling insane. Back in January, we did our Slinky Fast Pass and got out of Toy Story Land as quickly as possible. It was just too crowded! And this was January. However, it was also later in the afternoon.

I was able to snag an Oga's Cantina "Breakfast" reservation for 9:05 AM. Though I'm not super interested in SWGE (just being honest here) I DO want to scope it out before our big family trip to see if it's worth doing with DH's nephews that are in 3rd and 4th grade. Because I DID make a reservation for 5 of us in January. If it's a fun place that I think the boys will enjoy, I'll keep the reservation for me, DH, one of my SIL's, and her two boys. IF not - or if I feel like going to DHS is going to take too much time for the trade off of rides with the boys, I'll first see if any of the older nieces and nephews (all in their 30s and 40s) want the reservation. OR post it to the ADR cancellation board here.

Exploring SWGE will need to take place before this - which will be just walking around for me. Unless it's a very short wait, I won't bother with Smuggler's Run. And have zero interest in light sabers or droids.

I have a 9:15 to 10:15 Star Tours FP - I will be interested in seeing how that has changed since the opening of SWGE as we noticed a difference in Jan 2019 VS Jan 2018. Or, who knows, maybe I will cancel it in order to do a show ;-)

I've been able to shift my SDD FP for this trip to 11:35 AM. Which is much better than that 5:30 PM. I'd still like to move it up a little earlier in the morning, though.

After I ride SDD, I will probably do the single rider line for RRC and then skedaddle.

My lunch plans: Food & Wine Booths! So, taking a friendship boat over to Epcot.

Once I'm there, I am hoping to snag some FP's in Epcot. I've never done the Frozen Ride, so that's a good option. And the last two years, we haven't gone to Spaceship Earth!

After a stroll around World Showcase, the food booths, and maybe a ride or two, I'll hop the monorail and head back to the hotel.

Then: rest, start packing, and do a little work.

Right now, I have a dinner reservation at the Grand Floridian Cafe for 6 PM.

And though I have yet to book it, yet, I am thinking of doing the AFTER Fireworks Desert Party in Magic Kingdom. That way, my food from dinner can digest and I can take a laid-back approach to leaving the park after fireworks. It feels like a much better ending to my solo trip than ending at Epcot.

Fireworks-View-from-Room.jpg

So, what do YOU think about my plans? Am I being too ambitions hitting 3 parks in one day? Am I overly optimistic about my plans in DHS? Or too pessimistic about SWGE?

I like the new ending on Sept 5th. I now enjoy ending with Happily Ever After. Back in the day I preferred ending with EPCOT, but I love that Magic Kingdom closer.

Four Days until Arrival?? and Feeling Pretty BLUE

If there is one thing I can say about my plans, they reflect Mary Poppins:

giphy.gif

Practically Perfect in Every Way.

I have lots of good dining reservations, all the Fast Passes I have been longing for, and 5 days in Disney with just ME, myself, and I. No one else to worry about. No one else's schedule or desires to coordinate around.....

And now....Hurricane Dorian

I have not yet made a decision around what I'm going to do yet. And am trying to wait until Saturday to do so. However, my gut is telling me that this oh-so-perfect trip is going to get cancelled.

My girlfriend said that the DVC points can be cancelled without penalty. However, the points still expire Oct. 1st. If I were to reschedule the trip to the last week of September - even if there was DVC availability at resort I want to stay at, it's incredibly unlikely to get anywhere near the Fast Passes and dining reservations I have now.

If I reschedule this trip to later in the year to not lose my Military Salute days - which means before Dec. 19th - I'd need to pay for a resort out of pocket. Which we could probably manage budget wise....but is there availability when I can sneak away from work?

Right now, my hopes are:

for Dorian to shift away.

If I have to cancel, that I can get a refund on the Dining Plan and cancel my other reservations without penalty

If I have to cancel, that I can either (a) turn my completely unused Military ticket into an Annual Pass - or find a time to go before Dec. 19th with enough time to re-plan this trip......

And the thing is, the whole reason I planned this trip is so that I wouldn't be stuck at home alone while DH went to South America for work......

Feeling pretty blue right about now.....

Stinkin' Dorian. I am sorry this weather situation has complicated your plans.
Sending good thoughts your way as you work through decisions.

Stinkin' Dorian. I am sorry this weather situation has complicated your plans.
Sending good thoughts your way as you work through decisions.

Thank you.

When some of my local favorite Disney Bloggers are planning to evacuate, I think that tells me what decision I should be making....

Regrouping

I am so sorry I abandoned this post. I will admit that after having to cancel my trip due to Hurricane Dorian, I had to take a break from ALL THINGS DISNEY. I was a little heartbroken - all my practically perfect planning and no way to enjoy the trip. I DID have to cancel. The airport was due to shut down on my day of arrival and though that shifted slightly, most of the fireworks were cancelled that week and parks closed early.

I know it was the *right* decision but it was Quite a Bitter Pill to Take.

giphy.gif

Overall, Disney was very accommodating. I was refunded my Dining Plan as well as my pre-paid "Highway in the Sky Dine Around". And surprisingly, my friend was able to rollover her DVC points for a year due to the hurricane. That was a pleasant surprise for her as she was originally told that the points would be lost even with the hurricane.

DH did indeed go to his work trip to South America - and the one thing I didn't want - another block of time alone while he was traveling - became inevitable. I allowed myself 2 days to pout and wallow and then I dug back into work.

Two things of note about the cancelled trip:

• I still have a 5 days of Military tickets that expire on Dec. 19th of this year. When I began planning for this trip, I had one day left from our Jan 2019 trip - so we purchased an additional 4 Day Stars & Strips Military Hopper for my trip. This is non-refundable. And, of course, non-transferable.
  • My girlfriend told me that since they were able to roll-over the points - and were not planning a trip until 2020 or 2021 with their points, they had more points than they would use.

Since then, I've tried to put the idea of a solo trip out of my mind.

giphy.gif

We are BUSY here and with 2020 around the corner, I have a lot of work to do for my business. AND we have the big, giant, four generation family trip that begins on Jan 2, 2020. Of which, we are paying for four rooms at the GF. Club Level. In the main building. AND despite all kinds of discounts being released 3 of the 4 are at rack rate. And 3 of the 4 are also Theme Park View rooms (you do the math).

Side note
: I now have a favorite WDW Travel Planner whom kindly checks for discounts every-time I think to call - which is about once a week and we are seeing HOPE that at least some of the rooms will be discounted before we arrive. I LOVE her. She is AMAZING (Her name is Amelia).

So about that big family trip.

Up until recently, everyone was "excited" about it but my emails about planning were mostly treated as a bother. Our Dining Window came and went with being basically blown off.

giphy.gif

But now, things are getting real. Our FAST PASS window opens on 11/03 which means there needed to be a final count of WHO was in what room for sure. AND everyone needed to BUY THEIR TICKETS. I ordered our tickets from Shades of Green along with tickets for DH's youngest sister and her 2 boys (3rd and 4th graders).

In fact, one day, I communicated with ALL THREE of DH's sisters - a miracle of sorts because usually I never hear from them except on rare occasion.

We were in Chicago last weekend for a birthday party and I was finally able to sit down with one of DH's sisters to talk about the INs and OUTs of WDW. She has 3 adult kiddos, 1 son in law, and 2 grandbabies going (3 and 1). This kind of got the ball rolling. Then, DH went to have lunch with his mom one of those days and talked to his other sister.

When we returned home, I spent an hour on the phone swapping folks around in the rooms. And as of THURSDAY evening EVERYONE HAD TICKETS!

giphy.gif

Granted, after everyone bought their tickets, I had to spend another hour on the phone with Signature Services to ensure that all of the tickets matched with people on reservations.

There are 23 of us in total. Yes, that is the right number 23 of us in total.

I am managing 2 of the rooms and got the Magic Bands Ordered. AND we have a couple of folks staying off-site and we wanted everyone to have a Magic Band, so I purchased 2 additional bands from Shop Disney.

Side note: if you want the Magic Bands to Ship ASAP, order at least ONE upgraded band. 😉 And 2 of DH's sisters needed to order theirs.

And despite thinking I was DONE until FP day, the calls and texts and emails just keep coming. I spent another 1/2 hour on the phone changing addresses on reservations from the Florida homes 2 of the SILs have to their Illinois addresses so they don't just *sit* in their mailboxes.

Last night I was feeling just DONE.

giphy.gif

So, I emailed my girlfriend with a broad range of dates I could go to WDW if there was availability in any of the DVC resorts.

Because, man oh man do I need me so Solo Time to prepare for and deal with this trip.

She told me she'd check later this weekend and see if I can resurrect a tiny little trip before my tickets expire on Dec. 19th....

STAY Tuned!

Last edited:
My girlfriend emailed me back this afternoon and there is no (reasonable) DVC availability in November or December. So, using DVC points is out. But I can't stop thinking about a solo trip.

And to be honest - in addition to getting away by myself to play - I keep thinking about trying out the things I've never done BEFORE everyone else is there - like Magical Express and checking out some of the changes since we were there last. Like how IS the construction at Epcot affecting the feel of the park? And how is SWGE affecting the park for little ones?

So, I talked it over with DH and send an email to the CM I've been working with on our big trip to tell her I want to chat tomorrow about a solo trip the concludes before Dec. 20th.

And we have lift-off: A Last Minute Solo Trip is a Go

giphy.gif

It's been a few days since I've been back to this little pre-trip report, but man, oh, man have I been a busy bee these last few days.

I am heading to Walt Disney World for a quick 3-night trip beginning Sunday, Dec. 15th

giphy.gif

Though there wasn't anything in DVC, there seemed to be a lot of availability the week of Dec. 15th. I spoke to my favorite vacation planner at Disney World earlier this week and she was able to find me a room with a Military Discount at the Yacht Club.

In many ways, that choice was made due to being budget-minded. While the Grand Floridian was available, it was $330 more for the trip than the Epcot area resorts. (and the Poly was even more.). And based on feedback here, though the BC was the same as YC - and BW was just a few dollars more, the Yacht Club was the best choice. I DID choose "Standard View" as compared to my Theme Park View rooms the last three years.

But the goal is simple and two-fold: RECON for our trip. AND to PLAY.

The downside: I booked my trip with only 46 days til arrival

giphy.gif

So, rather than a perfectly planned trip like I had planned for September, this one will be more haphazard. I have been unable to find a FP for Slinky. And the only FOP FP is for arrival day in the evening. Securing DINING Reservations is challenging as most of them are booked.

So, right now, I am thinking about throwing more caution to the wind and planning on the fly. Going in with the goal of simply enjoying the atmosphere and BEING.

More soon on my solo trip.

As to the BIG family trip - our FP window opens on Sunday, Nov. 3rd. There are 23 of us in total and we're exchanging texts, emails, and phone calls about priorities, desires, and who is going to book whose FP's.

I have never in the last ten years talked to my SILs as much as I have in the last few months.

I am not sure if a sane person plans for two trips in a 30 day period.

Just saying. I am thinking of little else outside of M-I-C-K-E-Y. M-O-U-S-E.

I am tweaking plans, trying to get premium fast passes, and hoping for more Extra Magic Hours for my solo trip, the Fast Pass Day for our big family trip was TODAY?

To be honest, I didn't sleep well last night. Has anyone else had nightmares the night before Fast Pass day?

It was the worst heffalumps and woozles dreams EVER. Full blown nightmares, all eventually coming to issues with making fast passes.

giphy.gif

After 3 AM, I was waking up every thirty minutes or so. And at 5:30 AM, I finally just got up. Though DH is usually a sleeper on the weekends, he was up by 6:45.

After making a pot of coffee, it was the constant refreshing of my phone and the WDW website on my laptop.

Though there are 23 of us in total, I was only responsible for making FP for 5 of us. And, by 7:20, I was done. Well, mostly done.

I secured FPs to 7 Dwarfs, Big Thunder, Buzz, Toy Story Mania, and Star Tours. NO Slinky or FOP for the big trip. But then, everyone beyond DH and I will only have 3 days in the park. We are coordinating with a 3rd and 4th grader -so 2 days at MK and 1 day at HS - with hopping to Epcot and/or AK on the HS day.

NONE of my SIL's, nieces, or nephews did any FP's this morning.

Yep, here I am with nightmares. And the first sign I saw of FP activity for them was around Noon!! 🤷‍♀️.

giphy.gif

After the others began making plans, I did adjust ONE of our FP's - from Space Mountain to Big Thunder around the time everyone else had. One of my SILs wants us "all to do everything together" so this is the closest I can get.

I am worried there will be disappointments. AND I am also stressing out that what I've carefully scheduled will be shot to pieces in an attempt to do more together.

But DH is the voice of reason - it's HIS family and I've shared plenty of information on FPs, what's hard to get, and when our time frames are. He keeps quoting Elsa and telling me to LET IT GO

giphy.gif

I am trying, but it isn't easy. Ya know?

So....

Everyone else leaves around 2 PM on Sunday, Jan. 5th. So, I DID get a FOP and Everest for the day after everyone leaves. We have a DAH at the MK that night, but we can pop over to AK for a couple of rides during the day and still rest up for DAH.

And, I will be honest, I am happy about how parts of my solo trip are shaping up. But more about that later.

For now: have you ever been on a big family trip? What were your takeaways? What advice do you have for me?

Ok. Ok. I confess. I am a bit of a control freak. I want to HELP some of DH's Family. And as my therapist often reminds me HELP often === CONTROL.

But here's the deal.

Of the 23 of us traveling in January - and the fact that our FAST PASS WINDOW opened TODAY - not very many of us have made FP reservations.

So, call me crazy, but I began making Fast Passes for other family members.

A part of me is like =WHY? And yet, a part of me is like = WHY didn't you just do this first thing this morning??

So, rather than approach it en masse, I made Fast Passes for each little family grouping. That way, when they do log in and decide to add to or make changes, they can deal with their own family but not have to mess with the plans of other sub-groups in the family.

But seriously. There are 23 of us. 3 of us managed tickets. 9 of us are managing people. It's becoming a bit insane.

I must add: Disney Signature Services has been a GODsend.

Now that I've shared some things about the BIG family trip, let's dig into my solo trip.

My dear friend, who is also a therapist, was right: planning a trip just for ME is a good thing when I make peace with the fact that no matter how hard I try, I cannot make the Family Trip perfect for everyone.

Nor will planning - even to a modicum of perfection - make me more lovable or accepted by the extended family.

My solo trip begins on Sunday, Dec. 15th - and I am staying at the Yacht Club.

giphy.gif

I arrive at MCO just before 11 AM. I plan to retrieve my own bag so that I can stash my carry-ons into the big, checked bag for storage.

Though I was able to snag a FOP Fast Pass, it wasn't until the 7 PM Hour. And, if I were to be honest, after getting up at 4 AM to catch my flight, I doubt I will be at my best that late in the evening. Especially in a park I am not familiar with. So, I ditched it for a FP to 7Dwarfs followed by a FP to Peter Pan - all before the park closes for the Christmas Party.

On my Practically Perfect Solo Trip, I had a lot of dining plans. However, this trip is more challenging due to the last minute nature of it. So, at this moment, I have a dinner reservation in Mexico at San Angel Inn timed to see the new Fireworks.

Here's the plan: When the MK closes, I plan to either hop the monorail to Epcot. OR a bus to the Yacht Club.

To be honest, I may skip Epcot Forever for a dinner reservation either closer to the International Gateway OR closer to my resort for a decent bedtime.

We will be there the same time! We arrive on 12/13-12/18. I have managed to snag a few good FP's, my main concern being Flight Of Passage, but I was not able to get Slinky Dog Dash:( I was up and ready at 6:30 AM on my 60 day out window but they were ALL taken already. I was so happy to at least get FOP & TSM.

SO many changes since I was last here!

When you're planning a trip with less than 60 days notice - especially around the holidays - the dining reservations and fast passes are fairly picked over. So, then, it became an exercise in managing what I want to do at my leisure VS what I want to explore as a part of our family trip VS what experiences can I secure in a way that feels nourishing.

First of all - it's important to know that I changed the hotel for my solo trip. Rather than staying at Yacht, I switched to the Poly so that I could be at a MK Resort

giphy.gif

Yeah. Yeah. I know. It's a tad more expensive. (around $50 more per night)

My first FP's upon arrival are at the MK. I have a PPO reservation at Be Our Guest on Monday. And before today - I had a fireworks dessert party booked at MK as well as a VIP Tour that began at MK.

So, it made the most sense.

Besides - I want to explore everything GF has to offer during the holidays, see what the MK resorts have easily available to tour for my MIL, and get super clear on how our family can get from place to place.

But then, an amazing thing happened today: an Internet Friend messaged me with an offer: she had a Plaid booked for Monday, Dec. 16th. And they had ONE spot available in their group for a 7-hour tour that will hit at least 3 of the 4 parks - ending at MK for HEA.

giphy.gif

Cannot wait to tell you more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!