A European Dream - Disney Dream Med 2023 5/20-5/27 - update 11/21

Just found this TR and am halfway through but I decided to stop to comment before going back to read. We just came back on Friday from a Med cruise (our 20th Anniv). Different itinerary and on Royal Caribbean but I am interested to see how yours turns out. We flew in to Rome and stayed 2 nights before our cruise and we went to Naples, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Marseilles and La Spezia (for Florence and Pisa).

I also have some experience with concerts being postponed multiple times due to Covid, We went to Paris in 2019 to see a-ha on their tour that eventually ended up with a few US dates after many years of them never coming over here and when I found out about those dates I got tickets right away. It was originally going to be September 2020, then the pandemic hit (they were in Australia at the time) so it got moved to May 2021 then April 2022 which we finally got to go to.

I have seen Elton John in concert once before during his Tour with Billy Joel, that was an awesome show.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip!

Just found this TR and am halfway through but I decided to stop to comment before going back to read. We just came back on Friday from a Med cruise (our 20th Anniv). Different itinerary and on Royal Caribbean but I am interested to see how yours turns out. We flew in to Rome and stayed 2 nights before our cruise and we went to Naples, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Marseilles and La Spezia (for Florence and Pisa).

I also have some experience with concerts being postponed multiple times due to Covid, We went to Paris in 2019 to see a-ha on their tour that eventually ended up with a few US dates after many years of them never coming over here and when I found out about those dates I got tickets right away. It was originally going to be September 2020, then the pandemic hit (they were in Australia at the time) so it got moved to May 2021 then April 2022 which we finally got to go to.

I have seen Elton John in concert once before during his Tour with Billy Joel, that was an awesome show.

Looking forward to reading more about your trip!
Welcome to our trip report! I was hoping to get the next update up last weekend, but that never happened… so far we haven’t even made it onto the ship in this report!

Your cruise sounds like a similar itinerary as ours, hitting the highlights of the Western Med. I wish we had gone to La Spezia. I would have loved to see Cinque Terre, but it’s just too far from Livorno.

Your aha concert sounds similar to our story! I would have loved to see them, too. They were my first album that I ever bought - back in the 80s!!

Your aha concert sounds similar to our story! I would have loved to see them, too. They were my first album that I ever bought - back in the 80s!!
We saw them in LA. The tour was a full world tour celebrating the original release of Take on Me and the first Album, Hunting High and Low that went all over Europe (both the 2019 and 2022 legs), Australia and NZ (in 2019) and then in 2011 went to South America, Mexico, and LA and NYC in the US.

Sorry I've been absent so long! I finally caught up with everything. Sorry for the quote dump.

Those of you who know Michael will realize how great this breakfast must have been when I tell you that he made sure to get up in time for it every morning!
Michael got up before noon?!?!?! :faint:

One thing I liked about breakfast was that they also had some local specialties like liver sausage and blood sausage.
This does not sound worth getting up early for.

BTW, to turn this back to Disney since we are on the DIS and the big news of late with WDW is the 2024 RETURN OF THE DINING PLAN, I can never understand how people can eat three table service meals a day -- or even three quick serve meals -- and have snacks and I am sadly obese these days. I just can't fathom consuming that amount of food in a day and it being enjoyable. Yes, that's why "someone" is suddenly talking about having our lovely travel agent book us some nights at Coronado Springs for next year with the dining plan added on!
:rotfl2:Do as I say, not as I do.

Ok, it seems that @jedijill has replaced @Captain_Oblivious here... I am sure Mark is happy to be out of the limelight.
Michael abuses me plenty via text message.

We went by tram and saw this highly interesting „Police-Tram“ at the tram stop. Not sure what it was about as it seemed to be a normal tram with passengers, I guess just some fun advertising for the police force?
I don't think the phrase "fun advertising for the police force" has ever been used in a sentence before. Congratulations!

The Funkhaus Cafe. Funk means radio in German - it was in the old headquarters of the area's public broadcasting station which was built in the 1950s and has a lovely high end 1950s design with wall paintings and such. Also, the food is delicious and so was the coffee that we had this time.
"Funkhaus Cafe" is more fun in English, then.

On the way back to the hotel we visited the Cathedral. It is very impressive on the inside as well. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and the largest Gothic Cathedral in Northern Europe. It has a very interesting history as it was started in the 13th century. By the 16th century they stopped and it wasn’t until the 19th century that it was finally completed.
Wow! Sounds like some of my home improvement projects.

It is now full of locks - Michael is always a bit scared the weight might make it collapse. It did happen to a bridge in Paris.
:scared:
Michael sounds like a clean freak!
Michael is a weirdo.

Michael was very disappointed about this as he doesn’t eat lamb (nor shrimp, veal, venison, fish and a few other things - but he does eat any bizarre vegetable on the earth).
Michael is a weirdo.

The concert was amazing. Did I mention that I hate Jill? I did? It's worth mentioning again. It might be love-hate, but there's a lot of hate there. I couldn't believe we actually were sitting there listening to one of the all-time greats of an era.
You saw the concert! Stop complaining!

They somehow had charged our lovely breakfasts to the room even though they were supposed to be free. That was 72€ for two people for every day!!!
They'd better come with a TV if they cost that much!

Finally, it was time to head to security to go to our gate. Just as we get to security and I pull up our boarding passes on my phone I get an alert that our flight was delayed - of course because of the delay of the incoming airplane!! It was supposed to leave 70 minutes later now. This led to us sitting around a long time, in the end the plane left two hours later, but made 30 minutes up in the air.
Good thing you got there early!

I am still bitter about Delta forcing me to hand check my luggage because supposedly all bins were full and then I board and there is no single piece of luggage above my seat!
Airlines are awful. They all hate their customers.

Yes, when it comes to AC, Spain is a modern, civilized country ... unlike ... well, Germany!
:laughing:
Just bizzare 'modern' design.
They definitely let the architect go a little too nuts with the room.

IMG_8007-XL.jpg
This is beautiful, though!

This made me very grumpy (I might have started to get hangry at this point).
I'd be panicking. When Julie gets hangry it's a sign to evacuate.

Fun little street there!

I truly enjoyed our visit there and can absolutely recommend it. It really made me want to plan a trip to Spain to see more of this beautiful country!
Barcelona looks like a beautiful city.

I always thought they were too pricey, but said friend said 'If you can afford Disney, you can afford Oceania.'' I've since done a fair amount of looking into them, aided by the fact we seem to get weekly brochures in the mail, and, indeed, they are quite comparable to Disney on many cruises, although, decidedly, higher-end.
What if you can't afford either?

I was also impressed with the amount of public recycling stations - especially the one for your fish skeletons!
I had no idea that was such a common problem.

Starbucks knows it can't survive in a coffee rich place like Spain by giving the same product it does in the USA (or Germany), so it has stepped up its game. That's typical of many US brands abroad.
That's annoying.

Taco Bell in Spain is NOT Taco Bell in the USA. Similar in some ways/menu items, different in others ...
Same diarrhea, though?

Yes, we did some traveling this summer.
I heard about all the struggles. Sorry it was a rough time! Hope the foot has healed.

So, if you can afford say a Club 33 membership or 17 kids or any DCL cruise, you likely can buy it and be Spanish theme park royalty.
Having 17 kids and being able to afford 17 kids are two different things.

Yes, because it was right about this point that I started to develop tummy trouble (no, not the cute 1990s Roger Rabbit short, but the kind that makes you turn green and desperately need a toilet. It was horrible.
Ah, so Taco Bell IS the same over there after all.

Obviously, the first stop was for Michael who needed a bathroom. The first option was in group sales courtyard and he came quickly back because he did not want to get into a long line of teenage boys. He decided to try to find another one. In front of the park is this lovely fountain:
DON'T USE THE FOUNTAIN, MICHAEL!!

The park is a weird mix of top theming in places, huge coasters, kiddie rides, flat rides and shows. Not a lot in the middle.
That sounds a lot like Universal, actually.

Basically, it's Cookie Day and someone (you can figure this out even if you're from Delaware!) stole the world's largest chocolate chip cookie and your job, should you wish to accept it, is to search for clues with your flashlight that lead to discovering the dastardly perp.
It's got to be Big Bird.

Sorry I've been absent so long! I finally caught up with everything. Sorry for the quote dump.
Don't worry - I have been absent far too long myself...
Michael got up before noon?!?!?! :faint:
Yes, he is capable of it!
This does not sound worth getting up early for.
The breakfast was really wonderful - something for everyone. No one forced you to eat liversausage there! ;)
:rotfl2:Do as I say, not as I do.
Yes, and he quickly came to his senses when he realised that two nights in a moderate with dining plan came to over 1000 $. Owning DVC we really are privileged to not have to deal with WDW hotel prices!
Michael abuses me plenty via text message.
Sorry for that... :scared:
I don't think the phrase "fun advertising for the police force" has ever been used in a sentence before. Congratulations!
Hey! I have won a prize for originality then!! :banana::banana::banana:
"Funkhaus Cafe" is more fun in English, then.
:thumbsup2
Wow! Sounds like some of my home improvement projects.
Yep, our project of painting a couple of rooms every year got stuck after 2022 and nothing happened in 2023...
Michael is a weirdo.

Michael is a weirdo.
Tell me something new...

You saw the concert! Stop complaining!
It's Michael. The world would stop turning if he stopped complaining! ;)

Airlines are awful. They all hate their customers.
I am starting to believe that that is true...
This is beautiful, though!
The hotel was odd, but had some amazing aspects. I really ended up liking it much more than expected!
I'd be panicking. When Julie gets hangry it's a sign to evacuate.
Yes, same caution should applied to me.
Barcelona looks like a beautiful city.
It is! Unfortunately like so many places today it is a bit overrun by tourists...

I heard about all the struggles. Sorry it was a rough time! Hope the foot has healed.
Foot is mainly fine again, I still need to be careful and not hike 20 miles. But otherwise it is ok.
Having 17 kids and being able to afford 17 kids are two different things.
:rotfl2:
Ah, so Taco Bell IS the same over there after all.
See, I never made that connection, but you might be on to something there. I was fine though despite the Taco Bell.
That sounds a lot like Universal, actually.
It does, but it's also very different in layout and themes etc.
It's got to be Big Bird.
Yes of course....

:rotfl2:

5/20 Part 1: Boarding the Disney Dream

Today is the day! We are going to board our cruise! I was very excited - I hadn’t been on a cruise ship since 2016.

Yes, here we go again with our attempts at completing a trip report. You don't wanna know what the oddsmakers in Vegas say about our chances of being successful. But I will say that in the time off between our last installment, the American M (ME!) took a last-minute 15-night transatlantic cruise on RCCL's Odyssey of the Seas with my mom and brother. And spent some days touring Rome ... and even planned a quickee visit to WDW real soon (REAL soon because I need to get back to the German M). With that in mind, I'll try to keep my comments to a minimum. Don't worry, dearest fans. I'm destined to fail. Like a health foods restaurant in Delaware.

When I did only check in, I had noticed that boarding didn’t seem to start until later than usual. I had gotten us boarding group 5 - and I think our port arrival time was 12:15 pm. Normally group 5 would have a much earlier time, but I suspected they didn’t let us board earlier because the ship needed to be cleared into Europe after the Transatlantic cruise.

Since we didn’t get into bed early the day before with the late dinner and the packing, we did sleep in. We had asked for a late check out, so we had the room until 1 pm. Arranging for that made me totally nervous as I was afraid that Michael would want to not leave until 1 pm. But I tried to be as relaxed about it as possible, ultimately a couple hours more or less on the ship were not going to make or break the cruise.

But we managed to leave the hotel at 12:30 pm and I had ordered a cab through an app that seems to be popular in Barcelona called Cabify. I think it’s the Spanish Uber. Our driver Tomas was originally from Lithuania and he was really nice. He and I talked quite a bit about this and that, about Catalonia and its special language and so on.

We got a first glimpse of the Disney Dream in that line of ships:

IMG_4683-L.jpg

And then a bit closer:

IMG_8221-L.jpg

We arrived at the port at 12:50 pm. And there was a mass of people! First I stood in a 15 minute line for just the luggage drop off! When we arrived there was a sign for the different PATs and it directed us and everyone with lower PATs to directly enter the terminal. But by the time I had dropped off the luggage that option had disappeared. I asked two different CMs why that line disappeared and they just told me to get into the one long long long line for check in. It stretched not just around the corner but along the whole length of the building. We got in line and the line was not really moving at all.

Do you see the end of the building on the left way off in the distance, there the line would turn and then still go another 50 yards or so:

IMG_8222-L.jpg

I also overheard that quite a few people around us had far later PATs than the actual time. So I went back in search of a CM (they really are just port employees there) and she agreed that we should be let in closer towards the front, so I went to get Michael and she let us into line at the corner of the building. From there it was still quite a wait until we were finally through security. At Check-In we were told that rooms would not be ready until 3 pm!! This was again not great, as I had hoped that by getting onto the ship so late would at least mean that we could get rid of the carry ons. We finally got on board at around 2 pm.

Hmm ... recall it differently. I recall an insane line. I recall an unhappy spouse. I recall telling her to go find a CM, a female CM because I am a sexist and I also understand how the world works, and nicely explaining our situation. I recall being sure it would net positive results and it did.

I don't think either of these stories invalidates the other... We just focus on different details dearest. ::yes::

And we saw the first bit of Shimmering Seas (the DCL 25th anniversary celebration) decor just before boarding the ship.

IMG_8225-XL.jpg

IMG_8226-XL.jpg

IMG_8227-XL.jpg

Obviously our first stop was going to grab some lunch, but the app said that only Cabanas and the pool deck food options were available. As in previous cruises we had planned to go and get a sit down lunch. I asked a CM and she said that Animator’s Palette was open, so we went there and I finally tried to relax a little despite being seated in a strange corner.

IMG_8228-XL.jpg

IMG_4687-XL.jpg

IMG_4688-L.jpg

We both ordered the Mixed Salad as a starter and then Michael had the Muffelatta sandwich, while I had the Grilled Salmon Salad. The food was good, but Michael’s chips were stale and my salad lacked dressing.

IMG_8232-L.jpg

IMG_8233-L.jpg

IMG_8234-L.jpg

While waiting for the food I started looking into the app and suddenly saw that the departure time for our excursion the next day had been moved from 8:45 am to 6:45 am. I thought this for sure must have been a mistake, how would they think anyone wanted to leave at 6:45 am for a 4 hour excursion - and why hadn’t we been notified.

Someone's memory is failing here, which is understandable considering we should have written this a long time ago. No, what happened was we discovered this insanity while moving through the line inside after M got someone to let us cut the line. We agreed this was insane and couldn't believe both the time and that DCL hadn't informed us of this before. M was obsessed with dealing with this once we got seated for lunch.

I decided to deal with this immediately and left Michael sitting at AP while trying to locate the Port Adventures desk with some difficulty. It seems that the classic ships’ layout is more ingrained in my brain… Once I found the Port Adventures desk, I was told that since our arrival time in Toulon had been brought forward, the tour operator had requested that time change. I was pretty upset that they really wanted us to leave at 6:45 am, which I thought was ridiculous. Yes, wer were docking now at 6:30 am instead of 8:30 am, but we also were still due to stay until 4 pm or so. So, I cancelled the excursion to Aix en Provence. This was really a bummer as we had hemmed and hawed about whether we had wanted to do it or not. But then my father said that Aix is very pretty and we definitely should take the chance to go there…

While I was out, I decided to swing by where the dining changes can be made to verify that we had the private table that we requested. There I was told that we were seated with two more people at a table for 4. To me this is worst assignment you can get. I asked if it was possible to be moved and that was no issue. A little while after when I had refreshed the app, it showed our new table number.

The thing that kind of bugged me was that we had first dining and on this cruise this was the less popular option. When we went to dinner, there were plenty of empty tables. Why they would not grant the request without us having to ask, when there was so much space is beside me.

Very dangerous to seat me with strangers. Let's say they get their 'news' from OAN or the like, there's a good chance they will leave dinner with a salad fork sticking out of their shoulder. I like making friends on cruises. I don't like forced intimacy with people I may like ... or not.

So, all in all not the greatest start for the cruise. There were other things that were off on this cruise. For example, the dining times, which were 6 pm and 8:30 pm for us, were displayed incorrectly in the app (5:45 pm and 8:15 pm). Also, it showed the Golden Mickeys for day 2 at first and then that was changed to later in the cruise. They also somehow managed to not get the delivery of the Little Mermaid movie to the ship so they couldn’t show it when it premiered during our cruise. They also didn’t have any of the special 25th anniversary merchandise available in the shops. I couldn’t help the feeling that the ship wasn’t really ready for doing something else than the 3/4-night cruises to the Bahamas.

SPOILER ALERT: This is generally what continued to occur during the cruise. Not that it wasn't wonderful or anything, because it was ... just that the Dream and most of her crew were used to short hops to the Bahamas and it showed.

Today is the day! We are going to board our cruise! I was very excited - I hadn’t been on a cruise ship since 2016.
That's longer than I went and I was dying. Before the cruise this past winter, I hadn't been on one since 2018. I can't believe that I have to wait until next Fall for the next one!
I had noticed that boarding didn’t seem to start until later than usual. I had gotten us boarding group 5 - and I think our port arrival time was 12:15 pm.
That is odd.
We had asked for a late check out, so we had the room until 1 pm. Arranging for that made me totally nervous as I was afraid that Michael would want to not leave until 1 pm. But I tried to be as relaxed about it as possible, ultimately a couple hours more or less on the ship were not going to make or break the cruise.
See, I wouldn't have arranged for late checkout, I like to arrive in advance of my PAT.
We arrived at the port at 12:50 pm. And there was a mass of people!
Which is why I like to get there in advance of the time! Everyone else does!
I don't think either of these stories invalidates the other... We just focus on different details dearest. ::yes::
:lmao: You are such the diplomat.
As in previous cruises we had planned to go and get a sit down lunch.
As it should be!
We both ordered the Mixed Salad as a starter and then Michael had the Muffelatta sandwich, while I had the Grilled Salmon Salad. The food was good, but Michael’s chips were stale and my salad lacked dressing.
I like the starter salad, but my "go to" on this menu is the Roast Beef. I love it every time!
Yes, wer were docking now at 6:30 am instead of 8:30 am, but we also were still due to stay until 4 pm or so. So, I cancelled the excursion to Aix en Provence.
Yeah, who wants to be up and about at that ungodly hour? Oh wait? Are you reading my TR? :laughing:
While I was out, I decided to swing by where the dining changes can be made to verify that we had the private table that we requested. There I was told that we were seated with two more people at a table for 4. To me this is worst assignment you can get.
Fran and I got lucky once when we had this assignment. But for my next three cruises, I'm traveling with friends so hopefully they seat us all together.
Why they would not grant the request without us having to ask, when there was so much space is beside me.
They probably think they know better and you would like to "meet new friends".
Very dangerous to seat me with strangers. Let's say they get their 'news' from OAN or the like, there's a good chance they will leave dinner with a salad fork sticking out of their shoulder. I like making friends on cruises. I don't like forced intimacy with people I may like ... or not.
Yeah, I can see that not being an ideal situation. I doubt they keep political leanings in the Disney Dossiers.
I couldn’t help the feeling that the ship wasn’t really ready for doing something else than the 3/4-night cruises to the Bahamas.

I sure hope by the WBTA next year they have it down!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter