A few questions about Oasis

Ottes4

Mouseketeer
We will be taking our first RC cruise aboard the Oasis later this month. We are well traveled with DCL, but I feel completely lost heading into this one.

My first question is do we receive a key card or wristband to get into our rooms and pay for items?

My second is regarding the RC ap. Is the ap a way to communicate with each other on board?

Third and last, which pool is the best for at sea days. Thank you! (Any other random tips for newbies will be appreciated too)

1. The Oasis uses keycards for the room access and paying for things on board.
2. Sorry, can't answer this one as I've never tried their ap.
3. No real preference on the pools. We would look for whichever seemed to be less busy.

Other tips:
  • Roast Beef sandwich at the Park Cafe is not to be missed.
  • If you enjoy wine and tapas, plan on hitting Vintages some afternoon. You might decide to skip dinner that day.
  • If you like high-end jewelry there is a Tiffany on board.
  • Boarding and debarking in Port Canaveral is similar to what you experience with DCL except fewer porters available.
  • Yes, there are a lot more passengers on the ship, but its also bigger to accommodate them all so it doesn't feel over crowded on board. However, in some of the ports this makes it very busy.

Just off last Sunday

1. The Oasis uses keycards for the room access and paying for things on board.
2. Sorry, can't answer this one as I've never tried their ap.
There was no mention of the APP on board, my understanding is this is not on all ships yet ...
3. No real preference on the pools. We would look for whichever seemed to be less busy.
unless you plan to participate in games, stay away from sports pool. adult pool in solarium isn't really a pool .... just an oversized 'tub' to soak in ... only pool that ever seemed crowded was the kid's splash area. I was often the only person in a 'hump' hot tub.

Other tips:
  • Roast Beef sandwich at the Park Cafe is not to be missed. heard this many times ... disappointing .... (as were many of the food venues .. dw got sick from a hotdog on the boardwalk)
  • If you enjoy wine and tapas, plan on hitting Vintages some afternoon. You might decide to skip dinner that day.
  • If you like high-end jewelry there is a Tiffany on board. KNOW YOUR PRICES b4 you buy ... do not ASSUME the prices are good (ALL SHOPS and in the islands)
  • Boarding and debarking in Port Canaveral is similar to what you experience with DCL except fewer porters available. but MORE folks can mean delays. We 'self' departed and were in line for a hour with easily 1000 others .... manage your expectations.
  • Yes, there are a lot more passengers on the ship, but its also bigger to accommodate them all so it doesn't feel over crowded on board. However, in some of the ports this makes it very busy. On arrival (we didn't get to the terminal until after 1pm) WINDJAMMER was packed with a line to get in being controlled by a gatekeeper. We thought uh-oh .. but this was not often repeated during the week. For the most part the ship did not feel crowded which was a nice surprise. We were never in a hurry to get off in the ports but I can imagine there HAD to be a bottleneck there with all the "me first" wanting to meet self booked excursions. I mean the gangway IS still able to let just so many off at a time.

2. The new app has chat, the old one (Royal iq) does not. On Harmony, we used an old fashioned magnetic whiteboard (purchased at the dollar store) to communicate.

Tips:
- you can bring 2 aboard 2 bottles of wine per stateroom upon embarkation. If you drink, you might as well take advantage of this.
- if you’re renting a car, make sure you are registered with the company’s loyalty card. That’s likely to put you ahead in the queue, and there will be a queue, even if you’ve reserved a car.
- as mentioned, take your time getting off at ports, unless you have an excursion. Waiting an extra 30min will save you time waiting in line.
- if you’re going to labadee, take the water taxi (which is free) over to Columbus cove. Less people and a nicer beach.
- MDR and Park cafe do custom salads for lunch.
- go to Johnny rockets or wipeout cafe for breakfast. Less options than Windjammer, but also less crowded and it’s lovely outdoor seating.

My first question is do we receive a key card or wristband to get into our rooms and pay for items?

My second is regarding the RC ap. Is the ap a way to communicate with each other on board?

Third and last, which pool is the best for at sea days.

We did Oasis last April. Loved it! As mentioned, you will receive a card, and the app is not a means of communication. We purchased one device internet for each stateroom our group had. Whichever people used the wifi code would put their phone on wifi calling which allowed us to call between each other via the wifi. We could also text as we all had iphones with imessaging.

Our favorite place to spend sea days was the solarium, however its restricted to 16 and older. We liked the upper level of the solarium in one of the circular areas that overlooked the pool and hot tub. The pool in the solarium is small and not meant for swimming, but is meant for sitting on the egde, drinking, hanging out, etc. which is all we wanted to do. It felt crowded at times but people turned over quickly. The servers also frequented the pool area as well. I will caution that if you want chairs, come down early! We got our chairs around 7:45am on sea days and often didn't have many to choose from.

Another tip I have would be to show up for activities and show reservations early. As I recall with show reservations, they allow the stand-by line in 10-15 minutes before show time. So we made sure to show up at least 20 minutes early so we had our choice of seat. Same for things like trivia in Schooner bar - there's surprisingly a good turnout for this, so show up early so you can grab a seat in earshot of the staff member hosting it. Lastly, my favorite shopping thing onboard was the port of call t-shirt day. It was a madhouse but I got three really cute t-shirts for good prices. I wear them to lounge in at home but I love wearing them to remind me of my trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!