A few questions for first time!!

adjzc74

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We are planning our first trip to WDW in March 03 and I have a ton of questions but will only start with a few, LOL.

1) We will have a 9yr. and a 3yr. is a stroller necessary? If so would it be easier to rent or just bring an umbrella stroller.

2) Is it worth it to join the Disney Club. I am thinking that it probably is but I just want to make sure.

3)I am totally overwelled trying to plan out our days. I am so afraid that we will miss something or waste time, any good advice??

4) Will we have a big problem if we wait until about a month before to make our room reservations? Or should we just go ahead and do it as soon as possible?

Thanks for any advice and I am sure that you will be seeing more posts from me!!
Amy

Last yr, we took a stroller for our then 18mth old DS, but not for the 4 and 6 yro DDs. They were fine without one and we knew we could rent one if necessary. Next March, our youngest will be 3 yrs old and I will take our stroller for him. You walk a lot and a 3 yr old couldn't keep up and he could easily get lost amongst all the people.

Absolutely you need to make room reservations asap. March is peak time and if you wait until a month before, you probably won't get a room.

As for the Disney Club, the benefits are getting less and less. However, March generally sees few, if any, discounts other than DC and AAA on room rates. We booked using DC for March 2003 and got a small discount. If you are already AAA members, use that.

1) A stroller for the 3 yr old will be a must. I personally think that renting the stroller from the parks is just much easier than hauling it around on the buses or through the parking lot.

2) Disney Club is a good deal for the tickets and for the hotel. It's an okay discount for park merchandise, but the real savings is in the hotel deals and small discount on admission.

3) The best advice I can give is to relax. Plan out those things you feel you absolutely must see/ride. But leave time in the schedule for "down time". With a three year old (in fact with all ages groups) I recommend taking some time out of each day to take a rest in your hotel. It's amazing what a couple hours away from the parks can do for you! Our DD and DS have been going with us since they were very young. They are 9 and 6 now and we all still need that mid-day break so we get some time off. We usually use that as lunch and swim time (although I have nodded off at the pool more than once).

4) I would recommend making your reservations as soon as you can. You are going in prime spring break season and it will be busy.

As a Mom of 5 Disney cherubs ages 5 to 13, I will be bringing a stroller, double umbrella because that is what I have. Last time we went hubby wanted to rent and I ended up shelling out 80 bucks between disney and seaworld. I could have bought one for that price. I have explained to him several times, that it is cheaper and very easy to bring our own. Also ours has a big basket underneath for extra clothes, sweatshirts, and water bottles. We have taken the kids twice and have gone at it non-stop. This will be last time with all of them because of school regulations so we want to make sure we enjoy it and the young ones are comfy and can take naps if need be. My 9 DS on occasion has even sat in the double on occasion when we do the zoo or science center!

Faith, trust, and pixie dust to you!

Definitely a stroller for the 3 y/o-we also took our own for our 2 y/o DD because it was padded and has a huge basket underneath for ponchos, umbrella, camcorder, backpack, etc. We went for our first time in June and I would suggest you make a list of must see/do attractions-I let my 9 y\o DD help with the list. I took my list with me every day so I could remember which things were most important to all of us. I joined the Disney Club and it is worth it for the discounts on lodging(we saved about $300)-if you plan on buying any souvenirs you get discounts at WOD in DTD. I used these websites as well as The Unofficial Guide and Birnbaum's to get ideas and information. There is a lot of helpful tips on Deb Willis' website(www.wdwig.com)Happy planning:cool:

I just wanted to thank all of you for your replies!! It is so overwhelming trying to plan all this stuff!!
Thanks again,
Amy

1. Bring a stroller or rent one. Easier depends. My kids aren't big on the umbrella strollers all day and the big stroller is too much bother, so we rented. But renting is expensive and you will only have it within the park. Getting your child to your hotel room after a full day strollerless can be a hassle.

2. We don't bother with the Disney Club. You used to get a lot of stuff with it and it was almost impossible not to get it for free (through work or as Disney Shareholders). I've never bought it since I've had to pay for it.

3. You will miss something (unless you are planning on being there for a month!) and you will waste time. Figure out what you "must" see and do and schedule your days around a three or four things. Look at the rest as gravy. Get to the parks early to get your big popular attractions in early - before the lines get unmanagiable, and make use of FastPass where available. Early is especially important when traveling with a small child. A nap can eat up the afternoon, and if the nap doesn't happen, you will be leaving the park early.

4. Why wait to make room reservations? You might as well make them now. I think you'll need to make a deposit on them. Disney hotels haven't been booking up (they now have a ton of hotel rooms, years ago you HAD to make reservations months in advance to stay on site), but why risk disappointment? Where are you planning on staying?

Originally posted by adjzc74
1) We will have a 9yr. and a 3yr. is a stroller necessary? If so would it be easier to rent or just bring an umbrella stroller.

2) Is it worth it to join the Disney Club. I am thinking that it probably is but I just want to make sure.

3)I am totally overwelled trying to plan out our days. I am so afraid that we will miss something or waste time, any good advice??

4) Will we have a big problem if we wait until about a month before to make our room reservations? Or should we just go ahead and do it as soon as possible?

Thanks for any advice and I am sure that you will be seeing more posts from me!!
Amy

1. Yes, I would bring a nice light umbrella stroller for the 3 year old. It's a pain and costly to rent. You have to wait in the rental line each morning and then you won't have one for DD or the resorts etc...

2. DC keeps loosing discounts but it's still worth it to some people for the Disney Store discounts, the Downtown Disney discounts (10% after spending $25), National rental, resort discounts, pass/ticket discounts etc....

3. You will NOT see everything. Just do what you can. Have a plan but don't expect to always keep to it. Try to start out early in the morning if you want to get more done but that's hard with little ones.

4. You really need to book your resort ASAP. Don't wait if you don't have to.

Good luck!

adjzc74...

when are you going in march '03?

our family and friends are going 03/01 - 03/09.

i can't wait!!!!!!

yes you need a stroller, yes you need ressies now!!! we have rented a home and i searched for weeks before i found one at the price i wanted.

i'm still debating on the DC myself, may do it to get a discount on the AP, at least one of these will save us tons of $$ since i plan on going again in the fall of '03.

read the boards and you can find TONS of ideas, ect to assist in your trip. let me know if i can help, plannings not my best quality, i love the "commando" routine, attack, attack, attack from open to close, drop at night, start again tomorrow. you can always rest when you get home!!!!!

1. Another vote for taking your own stroller. Not only will you have it for DTD and your resort but you won't have to stand in line each day to rent one. Saves money too.

2. Depends. You will be visiting during peak time so there probably aren't DC discounts. The shopping discount isn't as good now since Once Upon a Toy opened as many of the items from World of Disney (where you can get the discount) moved to the new store and there are no discounts here. They also just limited the passes you can get a discount on so you would need to see if the savings is enough for you. I have the DC and saved enough on APs to more than cover what I spent but I don't think I will renew next year. :(

3. As others have said you won't see everything. Make a must do list of attractions and rides you will be dissapointed to miss. Form a plan around this. Also read these boards and ask questions. With small kids its good to have a plan but also be prepared to toss the plan right out the window if needed. An afternoon break is always great and the kids will love to swim every day.

4. Make your ressies now if you know your dates. This assures you have a room. You can make changes as needed or if you see a better rate, but at least you will have a room. You anly need to make one night room deposit and the rest is due upon check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter