• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

a ? FOR ANYONE WHO'S STAYED AT ONSITE US/IOA $ POFQ(WDW)

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
Hi...we have 6 full days and 7 nights arriving 7/4. We have both RPR and POFQ booked for all 7 nights while we decide how to break up our trip. We were at WDW for the 4th last year and thought we'd see the fireworks at US this year. Our flight arrives at 5p.m so not really a park day...enjoy resort and maybe Citywalk. If we stay 4 nights at RPR, will POFQ be a let down?(so to speak;) ) We have read on others posts that it is hard to do WDW after having FOTL perk...but we feel that 5 days is a bit too much for US/IOA. Mostly because DS 7 is not a thrill rider. He is excited about nick studios, MIB, SEUSS LANDING ETC., but again having FOTL will make the day move quicker. We can only afford 2 parks at WDW...so only need 3 nights there. Of course, there is also a shuttle lift off scheduled for 7/11...maybe we should spend a day at KSC? Do you think the RPR will be enjoyable enough on its own with the 2 US parks? Would you skip POFQ altogether and drive to WDW twice to avoid the hotel move?Would you skip WDW and do KSC? Kids and DH have never been there and we did SW(2 days) and all 4 WDW parks last summer....HELP!:confused:

We were at Universal/IOA last year for five days and weren't bored at all. We were two adults, one of whom does NOT like coasters at all. Don't know what the RP will be like, but if it's anything like the HRH, there's not problem with enjoying a day or more just hanging out at the hotels. You could always do a day at SeaWorld.

If you are really into Space & Science the Kennedy Space center is a great one day trip. If you simply want to have the thrill of seeing a launch (and it IS thrilling), make sure you are near a TV when it is due to go off, watch the detail of the lift off (you can actually see more on TV than at the Space Center, the viewing area is quite a distance off and even has tv monitors there) and then just step outside and watch the sky to the East and slightly North. Depending on weather conditions seeing the shuttle should be no problem from right there in Orlando.
In fact, Orlando is about 135 miles closer to the launch site than where I live and I see most clear weather launches even from here day or night! Even with the naked eye you can see the bright fire of the rocket accelerating and especially the smoke trail, and you can tell when the shuttle separates from the boosters. Bring along a good pair of binoculars for a breathtaking view.
Other than that, 3 days is usually just right for a visit to US/IOA- less is okay and more is great, but I think 3 is optimum. Then if you really want to avoid Disney there is Sea Word, Discovery Cove, Wet and Wild, and at least a dozen smaller attractions- You'll find lots of coupon books and brochures at your hotel or local shops.
The Onsite hotels @ US/IOA are simply the best, and with the entertainment discount less expensive than Disney too, and since there is no perk for staying onsite @ Disney other than park transport you might consider staying in the same hotel for the whole trip IF you have transportation around town. Shuttles and busses can be a real hassle and cabs can get tres expensive.
:jester:

I would defenitely plan 1 "down" day just for hanging around the pool at a hotel. We try to do it in the middle of our vacation. Seaworld is a great (at least) 1day outing. I would do the WDW part of your trip first and save the HRH for the latter part. Two full days may be enough for you at Universal, I think 3 is optimal (actually I think about 5 is the best but I LOVE coasters:D).

We did the Kennedy space center tour. It was fun but the kids were a little board by the end of the bus tour. It is very interesting and informative.

finfan - my son (then 10) and I had the thrill of watching a launch 3 years ago (he's a space camp 'vet'). If 7 is not your youngest child, it may be a lot of waiting for younger children. And be aware that launches are often postponed, even at the last minute - our launch was postponed 3 times and launched the 4th - each time well into the evening - once during the final countdown. We still loved the excitement of being on site and listening to the shuttle communications over the loudspeakers (the silver bus carrying the astronauts to the shuttle even passed by our car the one night!) - but I know many were disappointed and couldn't keep rescheduling their plans to come back - we were determined and, all that said, it was amazing and fun for us. The center has lots of interesting exhibits and movies, but you know best what interests your children and how much 'museum' type touring they will enjoy. Can't wait to hear how the RPR is, we're staying there in Aug - be sure and let us all know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter