A good and bad memory of Middle School

We didn't have 'middle school' in Philly. You go to elementary school from 1st-8th grade and then right to high school. So, let's just say 8th grade for me:

Good: I was top of the class.
Bad: A lot of the other kids never let me forget it.

Back in my day it wasn't "middle school". It was Junior High (grades 7-8).

Good - I wound up in choir there and found I loved singing.

Bad - as usual, I wasn't a good student, had no friends, and thought I was "weird".

Well - I recall that the Catholic school I went to had 1-8, although I'd already moved to a public elementary school before it got to the later grades. I think they have kindergarten now, but back then most of my classmates went to a public school for kindergarten first, or perhaps skipped it. I said something about this at a parent-teacher conference once and was told there was no requirement for students to attend kindergarten.

Went I went we called 7-8 "junior high school". Eventually it was changed to "middle school" although I'm not sure about the grades. I remember a family friend who started going to middle school when our school district switched to specific school emphasis. My old school turned into some sort of honors program and he said he entered it in 6th grade. I still live in the same district, and it's my understanding that the middle school is now 7-8.

As for my good memories - it was my after school activities, although after a while my parents said I couldn't do it any more after I got home late one day riding the bus home in the wrong direction.

My bad memory was the time another kid started beating up on me for no legitimate reason. It was weird too. I was walking with some candy in my hand that I promised that I'd give to someone in exchange for a quarter I needed the previous day. Somehow that set him off as I walked by him and some adults came by to separate us. I wasn't really injured, but I couldn't figure out why this was happening. He said something about me taunting him with the candy in my hand. It was totally bizarre. He wasn't a typical troublemaker, but this was just weird. I reminded him of that a few times when we were in the same classes in high school.

God is there anything good about middle school? 🤣

I guess good - I was awesome at climbing the wall in PE circuit training
Bad- just about everything else

This is so horrible - my first taste of alcohol was in middle school. A friend brought Jagermeister to school and we all drank it at lunch. Looking back that was really awful!!! IDK how our afternoon teachers didn't notice 😂

Back in my day it wasn't "middle school". It was Junior High (grades 7-8).

me to, but I put Middle School so the young ones will get it, LOL

My bad memory was the time another kid started beating up on me for no legitimate reason. It was weird too. I was walking with some candy in my hand that I promised that I'd give to someone in exchange for a quarter I needed the previous day. Somehow that set him off as I walked by him and some adults came by to separate us. I wasn't really injured, but I couldn't figure out why this was happening. He said something about me taunting him with the candy in my hand. It was totally bizarre. He wasn't a typical troublemaker, but this was just weird. I reminded him of that a few times when we were in the same classes in high school.

so many of the boys were super bullys during them years, in my own persoanl study I found out they were often the ones with no father or bad father in life

God is there anything good about middle school? 🤣

I guess good - I was awesome at climbing the wall in PE circuit training
Bad- just about everything else

This is so horrible - my first taste of alcohol was in middle school. A friend brought Jagermeister to school and we all drank it at lunch. Looking back that was really awful!!! IDK how our afternoon teachers didn't notice 😂

yep middle school sucked, I drank my first Mad Dog

me to, but I put Middle School so the young ones will get it, LOL
Well, in later years the Junior High became the Middle school. It was built to house 3 grades. Depending on the student load in the area, it is either 6th, 7th, and 8th OR 7th, 8th, and 9th.

Last edited:
so many of the boys were super bullys during them years, in my own persoanl study I found out they were often the ones with no father or bad father in life
This kid was from a stable, middle class family with two parents. He ended up going to a fancy private university I guarantee most people here would have heard of. He was always kind of arrogant though. I still couldn't figure out why he did it. Since he didn't have a history of any kind of bad behavior he wasn't even written up for assaulting me, although that was probably worthy of a suspension.

That school drew kids from a very large area with racial and economic diversity. We had kids from middle class families to kids who lived in housing projects. I generally didn't mix with the poorer kids, and I don't remember any problems. For the most part kids hung out with other kids of similar economic backgrounds.

We had K-6 elementary schools, then a Jr (7-8)- Sr (9-12) High School. Though Jr high kind of kept to one area, had its own library and gym, and we all shared a common cafeteria and auditorium.

Some of the positives were I got to meet a lot more kids from all over town, as the four elementary schools all came together in the Jr-Sr High, and there was a nice range of classes, after-school clubs and activities offered.

The only negatives I can recall were the time pressure of switching classes with only a few minutes between, and remembering lock combinations, regular and gym lockers. Those things led to nightmare scenarios that still occasionally pop up!

7th and 8th grade in my district was called "Intermediate" school. Nothing memorable either good or bad.

This would be junior high for me, and it was 8,9 because the high school did not have enough room for the 9th graders.

good - Chorus for me too. Loved our teacher and he really picked great songs to sing with great harmonies. So much fun!
bad - Gym class. All of it. In particular being forced to try the uneven parallel bars and getting stuck upside down, too terrified to let go. Embarrassment central!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!