A Jolly Holiday with Masseys: THE TRIP REPORT - WDW Dec2019

Time for a re-do.

I totally agree.

Elle had her fitbit on, when we went, so I'm not surprised. That was about the low end of our days, too.

What ended up being the day you had the most steps? Just curious.

There are several things on my list to do but seeing DHS at night is definitely near the top. And now, maybe at Christmas time would be the best. I adore the Christmas decorations there, and to see them lit up would be nothing short of amazing!

I know you would get some really great shots too. If I remember correctly you really like the Christmas decorations style at DHS.

I wanted to see that a few years ago when I did a Christmas trip, but ran out of steam by the time it happened.

I'm really glad we got to see it.

One of my very favorite rides in all of Disney!

We're twinzies! We need to do this together one day.

How is everyone enjoying their Memorial Weekend? We're not doing much, just taking it easy. I promise Michelle has not disappeared again. She and Danielle took the kids to Austin, Tx to visit with Brent and their cousin. Dennis & I were suppose to go but Dennis couldn't get off work. I got this yesterday as proof that they made it.

Last weekend we needed to get outside so we planned a picnic. Rain was coming so Dennis & went to scout a place that would have a covered area. We tried the little pond w/walking track at the hospital. We found some turtles.

Lots of ducks & geese (and lots of their droppings) and this little guy.

After seeing this Danielle was a hard pass. We drove to one of the local parks. Certain areas were roped off but we saw lots of people out enjoying the day. By the time we had our food organized and was pulling into the park it was raining but the radar showing it was going to move off really fast. We grabbed a table and enjoyed our food.

After eating we went to the fishing pond to feed the fish and turtles. It was really nice just to be out. The rain had helped to bring the temperature down.

I also want to share some pictures of the kids so you can see how much they have grown. These were taken the day before Easter. We did a hunt for the kids. It was going to be raining for Easter day.

Did you notice JP's hair? This was the "quarantine hair cut" Michelle gave him.

John Paul was at the beach for his actual birthday but when they came home we had a little celebration. He's so big now.

I'm sure we're all watching the news to see how things are progressing as the country starts opening back up. Most of us had to cancel trips due to covid-19. I know I'm really missing Disney. I'm really enjoying all the videos posted by different people showing their takes on the rides and shows. My favorite videos are of the Dapper Dans singing and Mariachi Cobre. I'm always saying I want to slow down and enjoy the entertainment and sights more and after this I really plan to do that. It's not just the rides I'm missing. And you may ask when might I try to follow through with this promise? Well I have booked a short weekend trip for Danielle and I. We have always wanted to do the Halloween party and Food & Wine. I really don't know if they will even still have both but I'm ok just to spend some time there and see the decoration in MK. Danielle has fall break October 8th & 9th. We're going to fly in early Thursday morning (yes were going to do the 5:45 am flight out again) maybe spend some time in DS, rest up and hit the party(if they still have it). Friday we'll sleep in a little then hit the Food & Wine (if they still have it). Saturday is still up in the air. I think going back to MK is going to end up winning. This is my favorite park and we both really want to see the decorations. This was Danielle's home park for her short time in the DCP. She really wants to see HEA again. I have my annual pass but Danielle won't be able to hop around. She will be using some park passes we have left over from our Christmas party night (and that's a story for another time). We're going to be flying out late Sunday afternoon so we should have some more time in DS unless Danielle wants to buy a one day ticket. She really wanted to drive but I would have had to take extra time off work and that's a long drive for so little time. I really hope things are much better by then. We're booked at Movies for now. If they release an annual pass discount we may upgrade. We're also planning to add the quick service meal plan so we'll have lots of snack credits for Food & Wine. I keep telling myself I'll be ok with wearing a mask while there and really hoping I'll be use to it by then. I wore it to Mass today but my glassed kept fogging up. I've been wearing it to go to the grocery store and any other shopping I do but it's really starting to get hot. Anyone else planning any trips?

Glad you all are doing well! I have enjoyed reading about your trips over the years. This is definitely a hard time for us Disney fans, we have a trip planned in July ourselves that we are still hopeful to get to do something on. Of course we understand health and safety comes first, so we aren't going to get angry over the outcomes. We understand it is what it is at this point and we will try and make the best of the situation! Like always I think it helps us Disney fans have a trip to look forward too, whatever the circumstances!

Glad you all are doing well! I have enjoyed reading about your trips over the years.

Thank you! We enjoy writing and reliving them.

This is definitely a hard time for us Disney fans, we have a trip planned in July ourselves that we are still hopeful to get to do something on. Of course we understand health and safety comes first, so we aren't going to get angry over the outcomes. We understand it is what it is at this point and we will try and make the best of the situation! Like always I think it helps us Disney fans have a trip to look forward too, whatever the circumstances!

I really agree with this. I hope July happens for you. If they can host the NBA I would hope they could host some Disney fans. It does help just to have something planned. If it doesn't work out we'll just plan again.

What ended up being the day you had the most steps? Just curious.
You know, I don't remember now. I think it was a MK day, but I'm really not sure.
How is everyone enjoying their Memorial Weekend?
1. our long weekend was last weekend and to be honest, DW worked through it and I worked through most of it. This weekend's been tough as I worked all through it on the night shift and I'm exhausted.
I promise Michelle has not disappeared again. She and Danielle took the kids to Austin, Tx to visit with Brent and their cousin.
Very nice! :)
I got this yesterday as proof that they made it.
Nah. Obviously photoshopped against a green screen.

;)
We found some turtles
:goodvibes
and this little guy.
That's so weird. I associate gators so much with Florida that it doesn't occur to me that they'd be elsewhere.
After seeing this Danielle was a hard pass.
:laughing:
We grabbed a table and enjoyed our food.
What did you have?
Cute photo of you guys!
I also want to share some pictures of the kids so you can see how much they have grown.
A lot!
Did you notice JP's hair? This was the "quarantine hair cut" Michelle gave him.
Totally straight. Completely. :rolleyes1
Well I have booked a short weekend trip for Danielle and I.
Yay!!
Anyone else planning any trips?
:sad1: No. The border isn't open so I can't get down there. I am starting to think about maybe a Canadian road trip of some sort, but right now travel of any kind is discouraged and I'd have to self-isolate (for work) for two weeks afterwards.
I just haven't got the desire to plan anything right now. Maybe in a few more months? Possibly in September?

It's so great to read your latest update and see you all :goodvibes
I love the plans you and Danielle have made for September. I would love to go then to see all the Fall decor and celebrate my birthday plus my son's on the 17th! Best present I ever got was him finally deciding to make his appearance into the world , 12 days past due, on my 32nd birthday!
Not going anywhere for now though as like @pkondz our borders are shut and we are still on lockdown. I'd be happy just to hug my daughter and grandson if I'm honest. It's been 10 looong weeks! They visit our garden once a week which I think we can safely up to twice a week now but while that's great compared to not seeing them at all, I miss normality. Still best to be safe :goodvibes
We had a July trip planned but that had to be cancelled due to non-covid reasons (I'll PM you) though covid certainly added to the reasons. I am now waiting on travel insurance giving me back our flight money so I can put it in our holiday account for our next trip. We still hope to all go Christmas 2022 but if it's at all possible I'd like to go next summer too. We shall see.
Good to see everyone looking so fit and well. Michelle isn't the only mum to do some haircuts. I did all 3 males here with varying degrees of success:rotfl:
The sun is out here today and it's a Bank Holiday so no-one is working from home so youngest son has decided it's a pancake breakfast kinda day. He does almost everything but I still like to supervise the actual cooking so I'll see you soon :thumbsup2

I know you would get some really great shots too. If I remember correctly you really like the Christmas decorations style at DHS.

They are definitely my favorite!! Reminds me of my childhood so much. The Africa decorations are fun too, but in a totally different way.

We're twinzies! We need to do this together one day.

::yes::
How is everyone enjoying their Memorial Weekend?

Pretty chill!! Last day after a week off to sort of relax and prepare for a work re-set in a lot of ways. Cooking ahead, laundry, a bit of cleaning, etc...

Lots of ducks & geese (and lots of their droppings) and this little guy.

He's smiling!!
Most of us had to cancel trips due to covid-19. I know I'm really missing Disney.

Yep. And me too. As you say, not even the rides as much as 'the bubble'.
I really hope things are much better by then.
I do too. I just don't know when things will be even remotely normal enough to travel there and not be such a major bummer that it's just not worth it. Who knows.

You know, I don't remember now. I think it was a MK day, but I'm really not sure.

My most steps was on a day where we did a little more than a park,

1. our long weekend was last weekend and to be honest, DW worked through it and I worked through most of it. This weekend's been tough as I worked all through it on the night shift and I'm exhausted.

Doesn't sound fun at all. I really hope you get some rest soon.

That's so weird. I associate gators so much with Florida that it doesn't occur to me that they'd be elsewhere.

Gators are pretty big here in south Louisiana. It's very swampy.

What did you have?

Popeye's Spicy Chicken. Yum.

Cute photo of you guys!

Thank you!

No. The border isn't open so I can't get down there. I am starting to think about maybe a Canadian road trip of some sort, but right now travel of any kind is discouraged and I'd have to self-isolate (for work) for two weeks afterwards.
I just haven't got the desire to plan anything right now. Maybe in a few more months? Possibly in September?

I know this is really hard for you since you love to travel so much. Hopefully things will improve and we'll get a vaccine in the coming months.

I would love to go then to see all the Fall decor and celebrate my birthday plus my son's on the 17th! Best present I ever got was him finally deciding to make his appearance into the world , 12 days past due, on my 32nd birthday!

What a great birthday gift! I don't have any kids w/birthdays near me. I'm looking forward to seeing the fall decorations in person having only ever seen them in others photos.

. I'd be happy just to hug my daughter and grandson if I'm honest. It's been 10 looong weeks!

I really hope you get to do this soon. :hug:

We had a July trip planned but that had to be cancelled due to non-covid reasons (I'll PM you) though covid certainly added to the reasons.

Thanks for the PM. I'm so sorry you had to cancel. I know it will be even more special when you make it back. Even with the news that the will be opening in July it doesn't sound like it with be the best experience.

We still hope to all go Christmas 2022 but if it's at all possible I'd like to go next summer too.

Both trips sound fun. I could do without the summer heat but would love another Christmas trip.

The sun is out here today and it's a Bank Holiday so no-one is working from home so youngest son has decided it's a pancake breakfast kinda day. He does almost everything but I still like to supervise the actual cooking so I'll see you soon :thumbsup2

I watch "Call the Midwife". It seems like they usually do a Bank Holiday episode. Is this the holiday that kicks off your summer? Yours sounded really good. How did the pancakes turn out?

Pretty chill!! Last day after a week off to sort of relax and prepare for a work re-set in a lot of ways. Cooking ahead, laundry, a bit of cleaning, etc...

I'm glad you had a great break. It's always hard to get back to the grind.

He's smiling!!

I do believe he is.

Yep. And me too. As you say, not even the rides as much as 'the bubble'.

The whole experience.

I do too. I just don't know when things will be even remotely normal enough to travel there and not be such a major bummer that it's just not worth it. Who knows.

What is normal now? I wonder what we'll all be thinking this time next year?

My most steps was on a day where we did a little more than a park,
That makes sense.
Doesn't sound fun at all. I really hope you get some rest soon.
I did, thanks. :)
Gators are pretty big here in south Louisiana. It's very swampy.
Yeah, makes sense. I don't know why I didn't think of that.
Popeye's Spicy Chicken. Yum.
ooohhh… been meaning to try that. We got a Popeye's up here only recently. (And an Earl of Sandwich too!!!)
I've had their regular chicken and it was really good. Want to try the spicy next, but not sure when that'll be.
I know this is really hard for you since you love to travel so much. Hopefully things will improve and we'll get a vaccine in the coming months.
Oh, I sure hope things start to settle. I know they're saying there'll be a 2nd wave first, but I really do hope things will at least semi-normalize.

I really hope you get to do this soon. :hug:
Me too!
I'm so sorry you had to cancel. I know it will be even more special when you make it back. Even with the news that the will be opening in July it doesn't sound like it with be the best experience.
We definitely made the right call. It’s so expensive to get to WDW I’d totally want the full experience. I’d miss the fireworks more than the characters to be honest. Hopefully things will be closer to what we’re used to by the time I’m there again :goodvibes
I watch "Call the Midwife". It seems like they usually do a Bank Holiday episode. Is this the holiday that kicks off your summer? Yours sounded really good. How did the pancakes turn out?
I always get overruled by the boys on “call the midwife “ but I’ve loved the episodes I’ve seen. We can have sun or storms May and everything in between but the weather is usually headed towards summer. It’s been glorious this week. Kids finish school normally at the end of June for the holidays 😊
It’s surreal at the minute isn’t it! Who knows what normal will be in the future but hugging family and leaving the house would be a good place to start:hug:

I did, thanks. :)

I'm really glad to hear that.

ooohhh… been meaning to try that. We got a Popeye's up here only recently. (And an Earl of Sandwich too!!!)
I've had their regular chicken and it was really good. Want to try the spicy next, but not sure when that'll be.

I'm jealous you have an EOS. Popeye's is really big here since it was started by Al Copeland in New Orleans. It's our go to chicken joint. Everyone loves the spicy, except for Danielle. We have to get her the regular chicken tenders. She's so high maintence.

Oh, I sure hope things start to settle. I know they're saying there'll be a 2nd wave first, but I really do hope things will at least semi-normalize.

It would be great if we could avoid the 2nd wave.

We definitely made the right call. It’s so expensive to get to WDW I’d totally want the full experience. I’d miss the fireworks more than the characters to be honest. Hopefully things will be closer to what we’re used to by the time I’m there again :goodvibes

I agree. If it was my family vacation and I had dropped a lot of dough I would want the whole experience. Danielle want to see HEA more than anything. She heard it every night she worked in the castle and never tired of the music.

I always get overruled by the boys on “call the midwife “ but I’ve loved the episodes I’ve seen.

I got Dennis hooked into watching it with me. I just started watching it a few months ago. We watched the first 8 seasons on Netflix and finished up not too long before season 9 started on PBS. Now I have to wait for season 10.

Kids finish school normally at the end of June for the holidays

Yeah for ending distance learning.

It’s surreal at the minute isn’t it! Who knows what normal will be in the future but hugging family and leaving the house would be a good place to start:hug:

I totally agree!

I'm jealous you have an EOS.
I Googled. There are only 33 in the US. There 2 in the Philippines (!), 1 in France (! again) and... only 1 in Canada. And it's here. :)
Popeye's is really big here since it was started by Al Copeland in New Orleans
Did not know that.
Everyone loves the spicy, except for Danielle. We have to get her the regular chicken tenders. She's so high maintence.
:lmao:
Well, after I try the spicy, maybe I'll be like Danielle too. ;)
It would be great if we could avoid the 2nd wave.
Pretty unavoidable, I think.

I Googled. There are only 33 in the US. There 2 in the Philippines (!), 1 in France (! again) and... only 1 in Canada. And it's here. :)

You're so lucky!

Did not know that.

Dennis worked for him at one of his other restaurant ventures after he sold Popeye's.

Well, after I try the spicy, maybe I'll be like Danielle too.

I hope not. All the cool people like Spicy8-)

Pretty unavoidable, I think.
:(

I'm glad you had a great break. It's always hard to get back to the grind.

It sure it, but having a trip on the horizon helps a little. ;)

I just don't know. Meantime, I've got other places I want to travel and will be starting a PTR for Italy very soon. Only 3 1/2 months now til that happens and then next year Greece and Turkey. :) Hopefully some littler, but no less important trips in between.

Just got caught up with your latest updates. :goodvibes I understand the need to get a little Disney time in, and I think experiencing Disney in the fall will be a fun experience for you. I honestly don't know how you guys are handling the masks in the summer southern heat! It's warm here (mid-70's) but no humidity and even still my mask fogs up my glasses constantly.

This will be the first summer I don't go back to the states and the first year I haven't been to Disney since 2010! It's a strange feeling, but I just keep telling myself this is allowing Alex to build up a lot of vacation leave for an epic future trip.

Nice to see you are planning another trip. Love the quarantine haircut!! My mom gave my dad a similar one lol.

It hasn't been open very long.
I may have had the Holiday Turkey sandwich... twice...

You just had to rub it in.

Oh! Huh! Good guy?

Interesting guy. He passed in 2008.

I'll give it a try (at some point... maybe tomorrow even? Not sure) and let you know. :)

Did you try it yet?

It sure it, but having a trip on the horizon helps a little. ;)

Yes it does.

I just don't know. Meantime, I've got other places I want to travel and will be starting a PTR for Italy very soon. Only 3 1/2 months now til that happens and then next year Greece and Turkey. :) Hopefully some littler, but no less important trips in between.

You have lots of interesting places to look forward to. I'm looking forward to you PTR.

I honestly don't know how you guys are handling the masks in the summer southern heat! It's warm here (mid-70's) but no humidity and even still my mask fogs up my glasses constantly.

Danielle is having a real hard time at work. She's a server and works the patio a LOT.

This will be the first summer I don't go back to the states and the first year I haven't been to Disney since 2010! It's a strange feeling, but I just keep telling myself this is allowing Alex to build up a lot of vacation leave for an epic future trip.

So sorry you're going to miss seeing family & Disney this summer but you have the right attitude. BIG trip in the future.

Nice to see you are planning another trip.

It really helps to have something to plan. With all the changes the planning should be interesting. I'm sure things will be changing and updating up until we go.

Love the quarantine haircut!!

Thanks!

My mom gave my dad a similar one lol.

Pictures?

Park Day 2- Epcot Sunday, December 15th. It's a Beautiful Morning

We were up early to get ready for our first Epcot visit. Luckily not too early since the park wasn't opening until 9. Originally we planned to take the bus but the night before it was announced that the Skyliner would be opening earlier for the riders headed to DHS for the 7 am opening. We were thrilled to get a chance to ride the sky buckets again.

Before I get too far into our day I want to recap what our tentative plans were for the day. Of course we wanted to hit the park for rope drop and head straight for Soarin'. We had a FP for Test Track 9:15-10:15 and were hoping to use Rider Swap. Our next FP was Living with the Land 10:15-11:15 then Spaceship Earth 11:15-12:15. I wanted to see Epcot Forever since we have never seen it and since it was Christmas time I was hoping it had the extra Christmas tag. We didn't plan on seeing the Candlelight Processional but if I could sneak a peak from the back I would be thrilled. Gary Sinse was the speaker that night. We wanted to catch Living with the Land at night to see the Christmas decoration lit up too. My really big must see was the Christmas storytellers and entertainment through out the park. I did not want to miss hearing Voices of Liberty sing Christmas songs. We wanted to try some of the Holiday Food Kiosks and bring JP to meet Pooh since he loved him so much on his first trip. I also wanted lots of pictures of the Christmas decorations. We had a dinner ADR for Coral Reef at 5:45. Looking back I can see this was a pretty tall order for the day. Let's see how much we actually get done.

Our morning started with the one thing I was really dreading, bathing John Paul. Showers are not fun for 2 year-olds. I really did not like having to fight with him in the shower but at least the doors opened at both ends. Dennis positioned himself near the shower head end and was on the other end. There was a shower head that was removable so Dennis was able to move it around instead of making the poor kid stand under a shower head. We used team work, Dennis did the rinsing and I did the scrubbing. It didn't take too long with this approach but we still had tears. John Paul was soon dried off, dressed and given his milk, banana and grapes. I brushed his hair as best I could but did get a text from Michelle advising that I had done it wrong.

We were soon out the door and headed to the Skyliner. Dennis took lots of pictures on the walk there.

We loved looking at all the different character buckets.
The ride to Epcot is longer so we had a chance to really look around and enjoy the views.

I was amazed and how BIG Caribbean Beach Resort was. It just seemed to go on and on. We even had a brief stop while going over part of the resort. We got our first look at the Riviera Resort as we passed through the station without stopping since it was not open yet.

John Paul's favorite sight was the Fire-station.

As we came into International Gateway we got a glimpse of the work being done in France. I really hope this gets finished before the Fall.

Continued in next post.

Park Day 2- Epcot Sunday, December 15th. It's a Beautiful Morning continued.

This was our first time entering the park through the "private entrance". The crowds didn't look too bad, at least not nearly as bad as the front entrance.

Dennis had the camera this morning and was taking lots of photos. It really was a beautiful morning.

We made our way through the United Kingdom. Don't you just love empty park pictures.

We were held up for a little while around Canada waiting for the rope to drop. Not too back we did make it for rope drop. Originally we had planned to head towards Soarin' but Danielle proposed we do something for JP and head towards Frozen instead. I was very proud of her for suggesting this. This is what I would have wanted to do even though we planned on going her after our breakfast with the Princesses on Tuesday. Once the park opened instead of taking a left we walked straight onto Norway.

Love the Christmas trees everywhere!

And we made it!

Waiting in line wasn't too bad. Once they opened the ride we walked right on. I think we were the 3rd or 4th boat.

Continued in next post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter