A Kid-Centric Trip to Japan and TDR - Trip Report (Completed - copied to blog)

Loving your TR so far - great pictures.

I have a question about your split stay. So to do a split stay do you check out in the morning, leave your bags at reception, go to the park and when you come back they're in your room and you just check in on return? Or do you have to leave the park at a certain time to check in?

I want to do a TDR/Miracosta split stay but can't find any information.

Loving your TR so far - great pictures.

I have a question about your split stay. So to do a split stay do you check out in the morning, leave your bags at reception, go to the park and when you come back they're in your room and you just check in on return? Or do you have to leave the park at a certain time to check in?

I want to do a TDR/Miracosta split stay but can't find any information.

Thanks! :)

Yes, check out in the morning, leave bags with bellhop (not reception), they'll transfer to MiraCosta (no laptops or electronics though for liability reasons), and it'll be placed in your new room. We did pre check-in in the morning and were asked if we want the room exactly at 3 or after 4:30. If at 3, we were told we need to be back exactly at 3. But after 4:30, we can come back anytime after. When we came back at night, we still had to go to reception to pick up our room keys. This was a lot faster than the pre check-in process though.

If you don't want to do pre check-in, you should be able to do regular check-in, but probably after 4:30 unless you want to get there exactly at 3. We didn't do this, so just a guess.

I'm looking at the TDR hotel website and what they describe seem different from our experience. Maybe they've changed some things (our stay was only 2 months ago though). The website says you can get your room keys at pre check-in so you can go directly to your room later. We had to pick up our room keys later for both Disneyland Hotel and MiraCosta. Also, it says if you're paying by credit card, you can do express check-out and don't need to stop by the reception desk. I distinctly remember both hotels telling me that I need to come back at check-out with the same credit card that I presented at pre check-in.

Hopefully you will experience what's described on the website, that certainly is a lot more convenient!

Last edited:
Thanks! :)

Yes, check out in the morning, leave bags with bellhop (not reception), they'll transfer to MiraCosta (no laptops or electronics though for liability reasons), and it'll be placed in your new room. We did pre check-in in the morning and were asked if we want the room exactly at 3 or after 4:30. If at 3, we were told we need to be back exactly at 3. But after 4:30, we can come back anytime after. When we came back at night, we still had to go to reception to pick up our room keys. This was a lot faster than the pre check-in process though.

If you don't want to do pre check-in, you should be able to do regular check-in, but probably after 4:30 unless you want to get there exactly at 3. We didn't do this, so just a guess.

I'm looking at the TDR hotel website and what they describe seem different from our experience. Maybe they've changed some things (our stay was only 2 months ago though). The website says you can get your room keys at pre check-in so you can go directly to your room later. We had to pick up our room keys later for both Disneyland Hotel and MiraCosta. Also, it says if you're paying by credit card, you can do express check-out and don't need to stop by the reception desk. I distinctly remember both hotels telling me that I need to come back at check-out with the same credit card that I presented at pre check-in.

Hopefully you will experience what's described on the website, that certainly is a lot more convenient!

Amazing thank you - that doesn't sound like the level of hassle I was imagining! Please entertain me while I'm being dumb - is pre-check in online a la Walt Disney World hotels or do you swing by reception in the morning? We will probably be arriving long after half 4 for the first half of our stay and then the second half we'll be checking out early for a full day at the parks.

I guess I'll leave the electronics at home and play it by ear. Did you pay for both stays separately then?

Amazing thank you - that doesn't sound like the level of hassle I was imagining! Please entertain me while I'm being dumb - is pre-check in online a la Walt Disney World hotels or do you swing by reception in the morning? We will probably be arriving long after half 4 for the first half of our stay and then the second half we'll be checking out early for a full day at the parks.

I guess I'll leave the electronics at home and play it by ear. Did you pay for both stays separately then?

No, pre check-in is not online. I wish! It's at reception and it take a good 10 minutes because everything seems to be on paper. We did just swing by reception in the morning since our check-in day for Disneyland Hotel we were going to Disneyland and out check-in day for MiraCosta we were going to DisneySea.

Yes, they were separate reservations, so I had to pay the 30,000 yen deposit twice. Which actually worked out for me since the exchange rate was more favorable when I paid the deposits.

Lunch at Ristorante Di Canaletto looks soooooo good! Another to-do (or rather to-eat) added to my list for the next time! ;)

Was switching the hotels hassle for you? When we went to WDW we did a split stay, and even though Disney made it easy transporting the luggage and all, I did not like that I had to pack and unpack in the middle of the vacation. Maybe I need to be light-packer like you...:teeth:

In your opinion, Miracosta, TDH, Sheraton, which one was the best overall?

Lunch at Ristorante Di Canaletto looks soooooo good! Another to-do (or rather to-eat) added to my list for the next time! ;)

Was switching the hotels hassle for you? When we went to WDW we did a split stay, and even though Disney made it easy transporting the luggage and all, I did not like that I had to pack and unpack in the middle of the vacation. Maybe I need to be light-packer like you...:teeth:

In your opinion, Miracosta, TDH, Sheraton, which one was the best overall?

I did feel the TDH to MiraCosta switch was a hassle because it was only 1 night each. I didn't unpack, but of course still had to take out stuff we needed. If I could go back in time, I would just stay 2 nights at the MiraCosta even though it would cost more.

I really loved the MiraCosta and the Venice view we had (I'll post pictures later :)). It's hard to say which is the best without considering the cost. I don't think I can say the MiraCosta was 3 times better than the Sheraton (Monday night at the Sheraton - 15,300 yen, MiraCosta - 49,000 yen). But for some reason, Tuesday night was 29,000 at the Sheraton and sold out on Wednesday - then I could justify to myself staying at the Disney hotels. :)

I really liked the Ocean Dreams rooms at the Sheraton and I felt that it was worth it to pay a little more (about 2000 yen maybe) since I think the standard rooms aren't remodeled. Of course, it's not as close to the parks at TDH or MiraCosta, but the monorail being so convenient, I felt like the difference wasn't that big. I thought the best thing about TDH (besides the distance to TDL) was the lobby - which anyone can visit.... Not that the room wasn't nice, I just didn't think it was any nicer than the Sheraton. The best thing about the MiraCosta was the view from the room and I would love to go back. But it will be a fight between my frugal side and my splurgey (is that a word? :laughing:) side.

So that was a very long answer to a very simple question. :rotfl:

But it will be a fight between my frugal side and my splurgey (is that a word? :laughing:) side.
I know what you mean! And the frugal side usually wins for me :lmao:

Thanks for the comparison. I have wanted to stay at one of those themed rooms at TDH, or Miracosta, and still do, but will be definitely checking out Sheraton when we plan our next Tokyo Disney trip. The rooms are nice, the location is great, and I know you don't have to stay at Disney to get the great service in Japan.

Now looking forward to reading more of your TR. :)

Day 11, Part 3 – American Waterfront

After lunch, we started walking toward American Waterfront and took some pictures along the way. The patio area to the right is Ristorante Di Canaletto. There were some renovations going on, but they tried to make it blend in.

I got a Fastpass for DH for Tower of Terror at 2:45 PM for a return time of 9:30 PM. I would skip it since I’m not a fan of free fall drop rides or anything remotely scary (yeah I know, I’m a whimp :laughing:). I showed DS a YouTube video and he didn’t want to go on either, even though DH tried to bribe him. :)

Then we walked around a little on the deck of the SS Columbia. DH took a panoramic photo, and no, the ship doesn’t bend like that. :rotfl:

Another photo from the deck:

When we got down, the show A Table is Waiting was starting soon. DH suggested watching from the side outside the stage area where there’s shade, but I thought why not sit since there’s still seating. We went in and sat, but DH was right, the clouds had parted, the sun beat down and it was HOT! Okay, objectively I think it was 80 degrees (Fahrenheit) that day, which doesn’t seem that bad, but without clouds it felt very hot! Halfway through the show, DS complains he’s getting a headache. We thought about leaving, but we were in a middle row and felt like it might be rude. It’s a cute show, no plot that I could tell, just lots of dancing around in funny food themed costumes.

Mickey waving from the ship as the show was starting:

When the show was over, we found the closest place for a drink and a place to sit, which was the Hudson River Harvest. They had a White Sour Orange Drink for 330 yen and a Sparkling Cocktail (Peach & Whiskey) for 680 yen. Since I saw the cocktail, I wasn’t sure if the White Sour Orange Drink had alcohol – I didn’t think so for 330 yen…. I tried to ask the CM, but she didn’t understand. :( I got it anyways and didn’t taste any alcohol, so the kids had some too. I hope I was right!

We then walked to Cape Cod:

The kids were still thirsty and there was hardly a line at Cape Code Cook-off (home of Duffy), so we went for drinks and a little dessert (only because I wanted the souvenir cup :laughing:).

There’s a time limit of 45 minutes and we were given a piece of paper with the time we needed to leave. Only DD was into the show, but the rest of us enjoyed sitting in an air-conditioned room! :) Our table was a little far back:

Day 11, Part 4 – Port Discovery and Lost River Delta

We headed to Port Discovery, where the kids went on Aquatopia four (!!) times. It was mostly walk on, so I didn’t mind. They like it when the “watercraft” goes under the waterfall (important point - you don’t get wet :)). It seems random which ones will go under, but DS was convinced the line on the right goes under more often (I have no idea if this is true).

Then we walked to Lost River Delta, mostly just to collect the crystal there for DD’s Crystal Compass. I couldn’t convince DS to go on either Raging Spirits or Indiana Jones and neither DH nor I felt like taking the time to go alone. We have Indiana Jones in California, so eventually I will get DS on it! Or DD will finally be tall enough, she is more the daredevil. :) From reviews, Raging Spirits is just a short coaster, so I was okay with missing that too. The outside is very unique though – fire on water:

We had missed getting the crystal at Mermaid Lagoon, so we went back there:

Lovely sunset view of Arabian Coast:

We went back to Lost River Delta to see if we could take a steamer to somewhere closer to the front of the park since we had a 7:30 PM reservation at Oceano (in the MiraCosta). But the wait was 30 minutes (there may not be that many running), so we went back to Port Discovery and caught the Electric Railway to American Waterfront. I’m not sure if it really shortened the walk, but it was something extra we got to go on. :)

View from the train:

So it ended up that we didn’t go on any of the steamers or the Venetian Gondola! I was very sad about that :sad: - need to go back!

Day 11, Part 5 – Oceano

The dinner buffet at Oceano was our splurge meal of the trip. It was 5500 yen for adults, DS was 3400 yen, and DD was 2780 yen (I’m not sure what the age cutoff are). My main reason for wanting to eat there was for their balcony view of Fantasmic. However, I didn’t realize that the buffet balcony was side facing with only the short end directly facing the Mediterranean Harbor. The review I read was for the course dinner and the entire balcony was directly facing the harbor. There are tiers on the balcony, DH carried DS and they were on the top step. DH said the view was good. I carried DD in the middle step and the view was bad. :( My view was blocked by a trellis and a big projection light used for the show. I couldn’t see much of the sorcerer’s hat.

A CM stood near the entrance of the balcony and made several announcements in Japanese close to show time. I asked our waitress and she told us it was to invite us out to see the show. When it was actually time to go out, there was another announcement in Japanese, so we only figured it out when everyone starts walking over – very casually, no rush at all. :) In the U.S., I can imagine a mad rush or people just standing at the balcony door an hour before. :rotfl2:

The food was good for a buffet with very dainty portions.

The lobster consommé in the middle was the best thing I had there. It comes from a huge pot, but very little liquid that the CM carefully scoops out.

When we first got there, we saw macaroons in the dessert section. DD loves them, but we said she could only have them afterwards. Well, when she finished her dinner – they were gone and didn’t get refilled! :sad2: Some other desserts:

After dinner, we went to one of the stores near the entrance to pick up the alien popcorn bucket for our alien fan friend. We saw it there our first day at DisneySea, so our plan was to get it on the last day when we were staying at the MiraCosta and avoid having an extra thing when we moved hotels. We got a popcorn voucher with it – hmm, a little flaw in our perfect plan. :laughing: But DH got some caramel popcorn later and we had it for breakfast the next morning. popcorn:: I saw some bubble wrap behind the CM as she was ringing us up and I asked her for one, thinking she would just stick it in the bag. Well, this being Japan, of course, she then proceeded to carefully wrap it in the bubble wrap. :)

DD tried her compass on the “Wing of Wishes”, but we could never tell if it was working.

Last edited:
Day 11, Part 6 – Some nighttime photos

I took the kids to pick up the room keys at the MiraCosta and then to our room. DH went to use his FP for Tower of Terror. He took these lovely photos on the way back. Oh, how I wish the MiraCosta had a kids’ club! It would be so romantic to take a stroll with DH after dark without the kiddos.

When he got back, I set out to sign my bill at Disneyland Hotel. The line for the front desk was quite long. I guess everyone was checking in after the parks had closed. On the way back, I took these photos. I see it was close to 11 PM :):

Day 11, Part 7 – Hotel MiraCosta

I booked a Venice side room because I have a thing for Venice. I went many years ago on a short 1 day visit as part of an organized tour and have been meaning to go back ever since. Besides, it was one of the cheapest rooms, the only cheaper one would be a Porto Paradiso Partial View. I scoured the internet for Venice side view photos while planning and didn’t find many, lots of photos of the harbor views though! I LOVED the Venice view that we got. :lovestruc

The view outside at night was beautiful with the strings of lights around the canal and no people. But too bad I couldn’t get a good photo with the reflection on the glass. I asked DH to try (he’s the better photographer), but I think he forgot or fell asleep…. I couldn’t open the window to try either since it only opens a couple inches. I wonder if it’s to prevent people from climbing out into the park after closing. :laughing:

Yes, the obligatory toiletries photo again :):

Headboard detail:

The next morning:

Before park opening…

…after park opening. Oh, there’s Ristorante Di Canaletto (pinkish building on the right), I didn’t even notice at the time.

Paintings outside the rooms:

Day 11, Part 7 – Hotel MiraCosta

I booked a Venice side room because I have a thing for Venice. I went many years ago on a short 1 day visit as part of an organized tour and have been meaning to go back ever since. Besides, it was one of the cheapest rooms, the only cheaper one would be a Porto Paradiso Partial View. I scoured the internet for Venice side view photos while planning and didn’t find many, lots of photos of the harbor views though! I LOVED the Venice view that we got. :lovestruc

The view outside at night was beautiful with the strings of lights around the canal and no people. But too bad I couldn’t get a good photo with the reflection on the glass. I asked DH to try (he’s the better photographer), but I think he forgot or fell asleep…. I couldn’t open the window to try either since it only opens a couple inches. I wonder if it’s to prevent people from climbing out into the park after closing. :laughing:

Yes, the obligatory toiletries photo again :):

Headboard detail:

The next morning:

Before park opening…

…after park opening. Oh, there’s Ristorante Di Canaletto (pinkish building on the right), I didn’t even notice at the time.

Paintings outside the rooms:

Oh wow the view from your room! We're also eyeing up a Venice Miracosta room and you've just further cemented the decision

You rode Aquatopia 4 times... you beat us, we rode only 3 times ;) DD would have ridden more if I let her, but 3 times was enough for me. :laughing:

I am surprised to hear Cape Code Cook off did not have any lines. Given Duffy's popularity, I thought there would be a crowd of young ladies there, and didn't even bother to check it out. Maybe next time we will go there for drinks. :drinking1

Reading your report, I wish we could have stayed longer and took in the parks' atmosphere more. Great night time photos! Definitely a perk of staying on-site!

Last edited:
Day 12 – Departure

Today we were leaving TDR and Japan. :sad:

Our room was pretty far from the lobby. The hotel is very spread out since it lines the front part of the Mediterranean Harbor. As we made our way to the lobby, we saw a view of the walkway entering DisneySea. Goodbye beautiful DisneySea!

I checked out (didn’t forget this time! :laughing:) and we waited for the airport limousine bus outside, where DH took these photos of the grand vehicle entrance.

On the bus, we took one last photo….

So sad! :sad: But we will be back!!!

That concludes my trip report! Thanks for reading! I’ve enjoyed reliving my trip. I added links to the first post for anyone who doesn’t want to read the whole thing. :) I’m happy to answer any questions, though I’m certainly no expert, just an obsessive planner. :laughing:

What an amazing trip and report! I am taking notes (hoping for 2018)!! Your photos are gorgeous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter