A movie I hope Disney would make and a return to 2D animation...

deltanine

Earning My Ears
I have been hearing a few people on the internet say that they hope Disney would make a 2D animated film again and thankfully, I have an idea for such a thing that I would like them to make.

I would like Disney to make a third Tarzan movie with Queen La as the main villain. I mean, La is like an evil female version of Tarzan but with magical powers. In my opinion, she'd be the perfect arch-nemesis for Tarzan. Plus, she themes herself around leopards and Tarzan’s original human parents were killed by one. In fact, I think the Tarzan movie would have been better if she were the main villain instead of Clayton. The film starts with La pulling of an evil ritual that re-creates her original body. Remember Tarzan's fight scene with Sabor? I think a battle between Tarzan and La could be just like that only much more epic. At first, Tarzan could use his spear just like when he fought Sabor, while La uses a knife, her wits, and her athleticism, and their battle is a battle of equals. But then, after he has her on the ropes, La starts using her magical powers, both with and without her magic staff, yet Tarzan defeats her using just his spear, his wits, and his determination. That would be a very epic (and sexy) battle between two sexy warriors of the jungle.

Throughout the movie, La would have not one but two diabolical goals. One: brainwash Tarzan into becoming her mate forever. Two: turn Opar from a mere lost city in the jungle into a colossal empire where every man, woman, and child serves her in exchange for food and shelter. Though, due to La’s ruthless nature, some of her commands would be unreasonable, and she would abuse, torture, and even execute citizens who fail her tasks. Of course, she summons a horde of monsters to help her accomplish the latter goal, which even includes abducting the Waziri tribe and subjugating them into her empire. In fact, she even turns some of the jungle wildlife into monsters that serve La, such as giant spiders or man-eating plants. To accomplish her former goal, La attempts to battle Tarzan mano a mano and subdue him, capture him alive, bring him to her home, and perform an evil spell that would make Tarzan a mindless slave to Queen La.

Throughout the movie, Tarzan battles La several times, but only wins the final battle with her, and also fights other villains from the Tarzan TV series like Mabaya and Tublat, both of whom La attempts to team up with. She succeeds in teaming up with Mabaya, but not Tublat. In addition, I would like the same music that played during Tarzan's fight with Sabor in the first movie to be re-used in one of the early battles with Queen La in this one.

She can have new abilities as well: after her new body is re-created, La has the ability to transform her jaw into that of a snake, and if she bites someone with her snake-mouth, she injects them with an evil curse venom that slowly turns the victim into a mindless minion of Queen La. One of Tarzan’s earlier fights with La ends with her doing this to Tarzan himself, but Jane and the Waziri tribe help free him from the curse. In fact, La would now have several powers and transformations based on numerous jungle animals, not just leopards. For example, she could transform her arms into snakes that attack whomever La commands them to, Beast Boy style. And transform into a lamia at will.

And remember that skimpy jungle-girl outfit Jane wore at the end of the first movie? How about Jane wears it during most of this film and is a jungle warrior in training; not as experienced as Tarzan but experienced enough to hold her own in a fight.

Also, the final fight should be particularly epic. The climax should consist of Jane, Tarzan’s gorilla family, and the Waziri tribe battling La’s monstrous minions throughout the jungle, while Tarzan battles Queen La herself in her palace in Opar. And the film ends with Tarzan actually killing La but making her death an honorable one; he kills her just by stabbing her with his spear.

Finally, no songs! With the exception of a replaying of “Two Worlds” in the end credits.

I even have voice casting ideas:

Tony Goldwyn as Tarzan

Minnie Driver as Jane Porter

Glenn Close as Kala

Diahann Carroll as Queen La

Keith David as Tublat

Nigel Hawthorne as Professor Archimedes Q. Porter.

Rosie O'Donnell as Terk

Wayne Knight as Tantor

Last edited:
How can they have money issues? They're Disney! They make gobs of money every year!

How can they have money issues? They're Disney! They make gobs of money every year!

It's not so much "money issues" as that 2-D animation is more expensive than 3-D (well, at least hand-drawn is), and arguably lass popular these days, so they just don't see the return on investment with it.

I enjoyed Disney's take on Tarzan, but I'm not sure it makes sense to go back to that well. I don't know that it has a strong, nostalgic following like some of the others.

Tarzan is one of my least favorite of the Disney films so I'd have no interest in another one. I enjoyed the first 15 minutes or so but it went downhill from there. If they could eliminate the character of Turk, however...

It's not so much "money issues" as that 2-D animation is more expensive than 3-D (well, at least hand-drawn is), and arguably lass popular these days, so they just don't see the return on investment with it.

I enjoyed Disney's take on Tarzan, but I'm not sure it makes sense to go back to that well. I don't know that it has a strong, nostalgic following like some of the others.

But Queen La was one of the most popular villains in the Tarzan TV show. I'm sure that those who watched it would love to see her be the villain in a future movie. That's why I made this thread in the first place: so that anyone who wants this movie to happen could ask for it.

But last year, Disney made Mary Poppins Returns. Sure that movie sucked, but its existence shows that Disney could be willing to revisit their older IPs.

Well, I'm glad to see you like the movie, but in this conversation, I think we should set our opinions of that movie aside for a moment. I am just trying to say that the fact that Mary Poppins Returns was made in the first place should serve as proof of Disney's willingness to return to older franchises, as should the making of The Incredibles 2, even though that is a Pixar film. I'm just saying that if Disney could make another Mary Poppins, then they could make another Tarzan. Of course, Bill007 pointed out that he wasn't a huge fan of the film, but the film still has its fans. And I'm sure they would like a new Tarzan movie too. And any that watched the movie's follow-up TV series would like seeing Queen La as the villain of a Tarzan movie.

Well, I'm glad to see you like the movie, but in this conversation, I think we should set our opinions of that movie aside for a moment. I am just trying to say that the fact that Mary Poppins Returns was made in the first place should serve as proof of Disney's willingness to return to older franchises, as should the making of The Incredibles 2, even though that is a Pixar film. I'm just saying that if Disney could make another Mary Poppins, then they could make another Tarzan. Of course, Bill007 pointed out that he wasn't a huge fan of the film, but the film still has its fans. And I'm sure they would like a new Tarzan movie too. And any that watched the movie's follow-up TV series would like seeing Queen La as the villain of a Tarzan movie.

I think maybe they could do something on D+ in the style of Tangled: The Series maybe. That is not traditional hand drawn animation, but it is 2D and has a unique look. If they were to revisit Tarzan I think that is the more likely direction. Could be good too - Tangled is amazing!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!