A New Adventure Calls to Us- a Disneyland Paris TR extravaganza! COMPLETED 3/15

oh neat that you get to go back! What’s on your list to see?
The Luxembourg Gardens, As I’d been trying to decide which one to visit but this sounds like the best one,

the Cluny Museum, which I’ve not heard of and looks fascinating. When we were in Paris we booked a half day tour and the driver took us to an old sunken Roman arena that is a park today, I didn’t realize Paris had places like that aside from the catacombs.

and possibly the L’Orange art museum - I too am not much of an art person,,though I’d like to see the Louvre, but the Water Lillies paintings would be special.

So how does one have a surprise day in Paris? Well mes amis, it goes like this: I wanted more time in Paris so we made it happen. The end.
Thanks for the update!

Wait... there appears to be more.
It looked like a great alternative to Versailles, which we wanted to avoid since we were still on the tail end of the tourist season in Paris.
Avoid... Versailles...

:faint:

The one place I didn't get to and regret not going.
Like this shot. ::yes::
He came back out and said, “Uh, I don’t think we’ve been locking our hotel room door…”
Whoops!!
Turns out to lock the door you actually have to…lock the door.
:lmao:
I guess that’s the norm when you essentially have dessert for breakfast every day.
Man... that looks unreal!
In l’Orangerie (which is the only art museum we visited *insert disgusted gasps here*)
Well you have me beat. We went to exactly... zero.
They have lots of Renoir, Cezanne, Matisse, etc.
What? French artists? In France?
You don’t realize how massive these paintings are until you see them like this!
Wow! They're huge! I had no idea. I'm not really an art person either, but I would've liked to have seen that.
I also wanted to go back to Pont Alexander III to get some photos so we headed that direction. When we got there my camera battery gave its last flicker of life, but never fear for I always carry a spare! However, when I inserted said spare my camera refused to acknowledge it as the source of life that it is. So we walked all that way and I could only use my phone for photos. Womp womp.
Well... poop! Did that battery ever work? Or was it just a paperweight now?
Do you ever stop to think about how heavy all that is? A horse had to wear its own armor (probably close to 100lbs), carry a dude (probably 150-200 lbs minimum) who is wearing his armor (100 lbs again). How did they not all just drop from exhaustion??
I have thought of that.
I believe I read that if a knight fell off his horse, he had servants run out on the field of battle (when it was semi-safe) to help him stand up.
The architect, who understood physics, knew that wasn’t an option. So what did they do? They built a dome inside the dome. So when you look up you aren’t seeing the true top of the dome, just the 2nd one they put in to please the Sun King.
Are you kidding me. Holy crap.
What a grade A d-bag.
:rotfl: I've never heard Napoleon referred to in quite that way before
And now I can tell you from experience that the croque monsieur at Be Our Guest is nowhere NEAR authentic (but it’s still yummy).
Correct.
Paris croque monsieur = yum!
BOG croque monsieur = garbage.
(I would just like to note that this was the first time I think I’ve ever spelled medieval right on the first try)
:laughing: I think you have me beat!
And... every time I see or hear that word, it always makes me think of a pair of radio DJ's that I used to listen to.
If the word ever came up (and it did from time to time) one of them would say in a low voice "midi-evil"
is built on top of the ruins of an old abbey which was built on top of the ruins of an even older Roman bath. So yeah, it was like really old.
Oh yes. I was there when it was being built. The bath, I mean.
the Unicorn Tapestries from the middle ages
Before they went extinct.

:rolleyes:
And guess what two things weren’t available when we were there.
:sad2:
They even had some decorative columns that were carved over 2000 years ago.
Cool!
If you like old stuff, go to the Cluny Museum.
Or have a DISmeet with me.
Our Old Stuff in Paris Tour continued with a stop at the oldest street sign in Paris, at 42 rue Galande.

It was carved in the 1300s.
Really! Cool!
This tree was planted in 1601
Yes, but it was much smaller then.
Once at the river we took some time to browse the Bouquinistes, which are those little green huts along the river that sell books, art, and other novelties.
Familiar with them of course, but had no idea that's what they're called!
We also saw a stall with a magazine announcing Walt Disney’s death. I considered buying it, but at €45 it was a bit out of my price range.
Meh. That's old news.

:rolleyes1
Next we wandered north to the Ile de Saint-Louis,
I went there. Best ice cream in Paris... and it was closed when we were there. Because... one always closes an ice cream shop in summer.
But guys, did you know that the Louvre is freaking huge?
I did. One reason why we didn't visit it (inside I mean.) We didn't have the time.
Me and the lifeless stumps attached to the end of my legs weren’t too happy about that.
Oh dear...
[We didn't eat here but isn't it so pretty?]
::yes::

The Luxembourg Gardens, As I’d been trying to decide which one to visit but this sounds like the best one,

the Cluny Museum, which I’ve not heard of and looks fascinating. When we were in Paris we booked a half day tour and the driver took us to an old sunken Roman arena that is a park today, I didn’t realize Paris had places like that aside from the catacombs.

and possibly the L’Orange art museum - I too am not much of an art person,,though I’d like to see the Louvre, but the Water Lillies paintings would be special.
Great choices! Hopefully the parts of the Cluny that were closed for us are back open when you go!

When you go to Luxembourg, give yourself plenty of time to just chill and soak it in. We only had about 30 minutes but I easily could have spent a couple hours, especially if we had brought a snack and a book or something.

Wait... there appears to be more.
You should know by now that with me there is always more.

Avoid... Versailles...

:faint:

The one place I didn't get to and regret not going.
Not forever, just during the peak season. When I go back to Paris it's definitely on my list to visit.

Well you have me beat. We went to exactly... zero.
*disgusted gasp*

What? French artists? In France?

Well... poop! Did that battery ever work? Or was it just a paperweight now?
Nope. It worked with my old camera (a D3200) but not with my new one. Boo.

Are you kidding me. Holy crap.
Imagine working for that guy

I've never heard Napoleon referred to in quite that way before
You're welcome

Correct.
Paris croque monsieur = yum!
BOG croque monsieur = garbage.
I wouldn't call it garbage, but it's definitely not as good (although I could do without the layer of mayo. Not a mayo fan.

On our next trip I'm going to try the one at Les Halles in Epcot to see if it's the same.

If the word ever came up (and it did from time to time) one of them would say in a low voice "midi-evil"
:rotfl:

Or have a DISmeet with me.
Preferably not at the bath.

Best ice cream in Paris... and it was closed when we were there. Because... one always closes an ice cream shop in summer.
It was closed for us to. And wouldn't you know it opened the day we left for DLP.

You should know by now that with me there is always more.
I’m learning this, yes.
Not forever, just during the peak season. When I go back to Paris it's definitely on my list to visit.
Ok. You’re forgiven.
*disgusted gasp*
It was a whirlwind taste of Europe trip.
Imagine working for that guy
Nope!
On our next trip I'm going to try the one at Les Halles in Epcot to see if it's the same.
I should too!
Preferably not at the bath.
:lmao:
It was closed for us to. And wouldn't you know it opened the day we left for DLP.
:sad2:

I don't blame you one bit for forgoing your original plan and deciding to spend another day in the city. You covered a lot of ground and saw a lot!
But oh dear, dead camera batteries and unlocked doors...just a few minor hiccups in the day. :rotfl:

The louvre is huge!!! I felt like it took me forever just to leave the building.

I've never seen Monet's water lilies, but I've heard about the room it's housed in. Sounds incredible.

The louvre is huge!!! I felt like it took me forever just to leave the building.
I thought it would never end. I can't even imagine how overwhelming it is on the inside.

I've never seen Monet's water lilies, but I've heard about the room it's housed in. Sounds incredible.
It's so peaceful. You can tell that the space was set up for that exhibit because everything about it just invites reflection. And it wasn't so busy that all the people were distracting, which was nice.

Uhm what?

So our door didn’t have a modern key card type lock, it had an actual key with an actual keyhole. But there was this latch in the knob you had to push to open and when it closed it made a really loud click, which I assumed was the sound of it locking itself automatically.

I assumed wrong.

Turns out to lock the door you actually have to…lock the door.

I almost fell over I was laughing so hard.

OMG Dying, sorry but that is just to funny! So typical of me, i would just assume in 2019(2020) these doors would just lock, i probably wouldn't have even figured it out

In l’Orangerie (which is the only art museum we visited *insert disgusted gasps here*) we started in the lower levels and browsed their collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art. They have lots of Renoir, Cezanne, Matisse, etc.

But so lovely! You visited tons of museums and cultural sights! No Gasps from this lady!

We weren’t terribly far from our hotel at this point so instead of taking the Metro we decided to walk and find somewhere on the way to stop for lunch. I had a croque monsieur which was incredible, but really, really greasy. And now I can tell you from experience that the croque monsieur at Be Our Guest is nowhere NEAR authentic (but it’s still yummy).

YUM! looks so good, you had an amazing extra day in Paris!

Your photos are fabulous and make me want to hop on a flight right now and visit again!

So typical of me, i would just assume in 2019(2020) these doors would just lock, i probably wouldn't have even figured it out
If Jon hadn't needed to get back into the room for something we probably never would have realized it!

No Gasps from this lady!
Whew okay ego saved!

YUM! looks so good, you had an amazing extra day in Paris!

Your photos are fabulous and make me want to hop on a flight right now and visit again!
It was a great day, and it might actually be my favorite day from Paris. We just did what we wanted and walked where we wanted and the weather was amazing and the food was incredible.

I'm loving your trip report and can't wait to read more. Looking at your beautiful photo's makes me relieve our own Paris and Disneyland Paris trip. We were there in October and did some of the same walks and visited many of the same places that you did.

I'm loving your trip report and can't wait to read more. Looking at your beautiful photo's makes me relieve our own Paris and Disneyland Paris trip. We were there in October and did some of the same walks and visited many of the same places that you did.
It's such a magnificent city, I really fell in love with it!

I was a bunch of updates behind, but finally all caught up!!

it’s also the setting and inspiration for the story of The Phantom of the Opera. As a huge Phantom fan, this was on my must-visit list.
Oh my gosh, I would have been extremely excited about this, as well!!! I love Phantom!!

One other thing that I thought was super cool (but then again I’m a history and music nerd so maybe I’m alone in this) was that they have a library with almost every libretto of every opera since the 1600s. How cool is that??
Don't feel like a nerd!! Anything that's been preserved for that long is pretty incredible and worth ooooh-ing over!!

Side note: I very recently learned that baguette is literally translated as “wand.” So though we think of bread, in the story I think they were actually referring to a magic wand. Which make much more sense.
This part of your day was actually pretty hilarious. I love that you attended fairytale storytime :) though it does suck to miss out on something else you actually paid for :( I will forevermore think of baguettes as wands!

Oh my gosh, I would have been extremely excited about this, as well!!! I love Phantom!!
I was so excited, but hardly anyone else was. Guys, don't you know what this is????

This part of your day was actually pretty hilarious. I love that you attended fairytale storytime :)
I still think about that and laugh. It was such a classic vacation/language mess up!

I will forevermore think of baguettes as wands!
And I will forever think of wands as baguettes :rotfl:

Take me to church- our final day in Paris

This was our very last day in Paris and we wanted to make the most of it! So after packing up a bit we went out in search of breakfast. We found a lovely place called Smiths Bakery where we ordered way too much. There was a seat outside so we sat in the sunshine to enjoy our final Parisian breakfast (spoiler alert- it was not our final Parisian breakfast).

The first sights we saw were two cathedrals in the Saint Germain neighborhood. The first one was one of the oldest churches in Paris (older than Notre Dame), Saint Germain des Pres. Some of the Romanesque architecture remains and it’s got some truly fantastic stained glass.

A few blocks away from Eglise Saint Germain is Saint Sulpice, which is the second tallest church in Paris (right behind Notre Dame). Saint Sulpice is a newer construction (relatively speaking) and was built mostly during the mid-1600s. Its look is a little different. One of the towers was never fully finished, so it’s a few feet shorter and less decorated than the other. And maybe it’s just me but I feel like the towers are out of proportion with the width of the building. I think if they were wider it would look more balanced.

Still pretty though.

[This was randomly stuck to the side of the church on Rue de l'Abbaye (Abbey Road) and it's perfect]

Anyway, it was another cute and super cool church to check out. Jon was getting very bored of churches at this point so we took a break from religious architecture and grabbed second breakfast.

Wow, guys, this might be the most colorful patisserie we visited in Paris. It’s called Maison Mulot and everything is bright and colorful and looks delicious! The only downside is there’s nowhere to sit and eat and they don’t provide utensils. So we walked down the block and sat on a park bench and ate these lovely and delicately-made pastries with our grubby, not-so-delicate hands.

[This is so good I can still taste it]

[Our 2nd breakfast view]

Regardless of how we ate them, these things were delightful. Definitely stop at Maison Mulot if you’re in the Saint Germain neighborhood.
After we finished our second breakfast, we began to head north toward Le Marais. On the way we realized that we needed a bathroom break.

We passed a short line to the Conciergerie and decided that would be our best bet for quick bathrooms. Since we had the museum pass we could get in without getting a separate ticket.

We breezed through bag check, flashed our museum passes and went straight for the WCs.

An unintended benefit of the Museum Pass- access to bathrooms.

Since we went through all the trouble of getting into the Conciergerie, we decided to take a few minutes and look around.
Conciergerie: Come for the bathrooms, stay for the history.

The Conciergerie is on the Ile de la Cite, just a few blocks from Notre Dame. It was first built as a royal palace and transitioned into other uses when the royal family moved into the Louvre. It’s famous for being a major prison during the Revolution and was where Marie Antoinette was held before her execution. There’s a memorial to her in the space where her old cell was.

Part of the building is open as a museum, but the rest still functions as the law courts for Paris.

There was a lot of stuff up about the Revolution (most had an English translation beneath the French) and I learned that the guillotine was in use as an official method of execution until 1977. Very weird to think about (hopefully it wasn’t the same one the whole time).

Okay, with our bio/historical break out of the way we continued our walk to Le Marais. Le Marais is a neighborhood north of the Seine that’s known for being trendy and eclectic. Along with the Latin Quarter, it’s one of the older parts of the city since it also escaped demolition in the 1800s. We did a lot of window shopping, though I anticipated doing more actual shopping. I just didn’t find anything that struck my fancy and wasn’t way out of our budget.

[Victor Hugo's house!]

We made a pit stop by Victor Hugo’s house, which was closed for renovation, then had lunch at a creperie and cidrerie where I had my first savory crepe! I also drank cider out of a mug for the first time. It was delicious, but wow they hardly gave me any and it was like €5.

Our main attraction for the afternoon was something that Jon found and was really excited about called Atelier des Lumieres, which is a digital art installation. Essentially they’ve created digital art experiences where they project art onto the walls and it’s all themed to music.

When we were there the main exhibit was on Van Gogh, and let me tell you- it was incredible. It’s in an old foundry so it’s this big open space. There are some benches and seating areas but a lot of people just sit on the floor, too. You can move around if you want or just sit and watch.

There was a rotation of three shows, the Van Gogh which was a little over half an hour, one on Japanese art, which was 10 minutes, and another one that was only a few minutes and quite honestly I don’t remember it because I fell asleep. It was dark, I was exhausted, and the music was very peaceful. Sorry not sorry.

The Van Gogh piece was formatted to kind of go through his life and his work chronologically. It was really moving and they used music to tie into the mood and the place where he was mentally during the different phases of his art. They even somehow animated a lot of the art so it moved across the walls. It was absolutely incredible.

The Japanese portion was cool because they made it super action-packed. I know that sounds hard to believe, but again they animated parts of it and used music to help tell the story.

All in all we were there for about an hour. After we wrapped up we headed to the Metro station to catch a train to Bateaux-Mouches for a river cruise.

I would like to point out that in my notes, my phone autocorrected Seine cruise to swine cruise. You have my permission to picture that however you like. A cruise with pigs? A cruise in a river of pigs? A cruise to look at pigs? Whatever you fancy.

The cruise was pretty standard and not crowded at all. It was 5:30 in the afternoon so the sun was at a weird angle which made some of the lighting strange and sometimes you would pass out from under a building and BAM sunshine would be right in your eyeballs. But it was nice (minus the burning retina). We sat in the very back of the boat to hopefully have more of an unobstructed view, which generally worked in our favor.

Except there was a super thirsty guy in front of us who was riding by himself and spent the whole time taking Snapchat selfie videos with that one sunglasses filter. And not only that, but he brought his own Bluetooth speaker that he would hold near his phone so that his personal soundtrack could play in the videos. He was obnoxious, but he was prepared.

The cruise provided views of the city that we hadn’t seen yet. Those of the Eiffel Tower & Notre Dame were particularly stunning. I wouldn’t say the cruise is a must-do, but if you have the time it’s a nice way to see a lot of things in a short amount of time.

[

From the cruise we walked to the Arc de Triomphe. My goal was to see sunset from the top and we got there right at golden hour. We took a few pictures then decided to go grab some dinner before actually going up to the top.

My notes tell me that the food at dinner was just okay but whatever wine I liked was amazing.

Have I mentioned how much I miss French wine?

When the sun went down a little more we made our way through the underground tunnel and up the Arc. It was fairly crowded but the views were great and the lighting was spot on. Similarly to the Eiffel Tower, we walked around, took photos, and soaked in the views as the light was fading. Once the light was all the way out it got pretty crowded because people were waiting to watch the Eiffel Tower light show.

Welcome to Paris, I hope you like looking at things through someone else’s phone.

After taking in as much of nighttime Paris that we could, we eventually descended and made our way back to the hotel to pack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter