A new car with an ECV lift

arminnie

<font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br
Our van is 12 years old. As it's a Honda with just over 100,000 miles that we have well maintained. It is still a great reliable vehicle. But I need a lift for my ECV and don't want to put one in a car that old. Plus there is a $1000 rebate for a lift on a new vehicle.

I know exactly which version of the minivan I want. I have picked out the lift (Bruno Joey) and have a place to install it. I just need to pick out the color of the van and decide which dealership will give us the best deal on the van.

I've been putting this off for about 6 months now. DH says that when I get the lift (Bruno Joey) he will not see me as I will free to roam without him. I don't think that it will change my Disney plans that much as I am happy using the buses 90% of the time.

I haven't used the Minnie van service yet as it just got expanded to a resort that we use after our last trip.

I have a Bruno Joey lift installed in my van and it has worked well for me. I have a Ford Transit Connect which is a modified cargo van that seated seven until I had the back two seats removed to put in the lift. Ford also gave $1000 towards the lift.

Nice!
Have fun enjoying your new found freedom.

That's so awesome! I hope you'll post pictures once you get the lift installed in your new van! :)

I finally did it! Yes it took me months to make this happen. Just got my new van (dark grey) and got it back today from having the lift installed. I've been gone all day so I'm too tired to go anywhere with it tonight!

I'll post a picture soon. It's raining here right now.

Does this van go to Disney with you? It would be great to see how it fits/works in the HC parking spots - are there only a few spots with the correct alignment to use the lift? Does WDW do the pull forward/park behind for the accessible spots like they do for the regular parking? I would think there are a lot of logistics to deal with when having a lift on your vehicle - hope it works out great for you :)

Does this van go to Disney with you? It would be great to see how it fits/works in the HC parking spots - are there only a few spots with the correct alignment to use the lift? Does WDW do the pull forward/park behind for the accessible spots like they do for the regular parking? I would think there are a lot of logistics to deal with when having a lift on your vehicle - hope it works out great for you :)
Yes - we drive to Disney. We drove it earlier this month, but the lift was on order and hadn't yet been installed. Because we were driving some and not using the buses I left the scooter in the car when we got back to the resort (SSR). I tried to limit how often my DH had to manually get the scooter in and out. I used my rollator to get to the room, and it was very hard on me. I use the rolator around the house but am limited in how far I can walk without duress.

The van is a Honda Odyssey where the back seats fold down. They are now permanently down as the lift was installed over them. Entry is from the rear so I only need room behind the car. A regular pull in parking place is fine. I don't think the HC spots at Disney do the double parking like at the regular lots. But even with that I'm sure it could be arranged to always be the second car. I will have to avoid parallel parking places.

The biggest issue is going to be packing the car for a road trip. Suitcases are going to have to go in the back seat.

Suitcases are going to have to go in the back seat.

My family has gotten very creative with getting the luggage stowed in the rear with the chair. I think the records is three full sized suitcases, two maximum sized carry-on bags, a backpack and a briefcase. But I had the seats removed and the lift mounted on the floor so I may have a bit more room than you. And I have a back-up camera so blocking the rear window view was not an issue.

My family has gotten very creative with getting the luggage stowed in the rear with the chair. I think the records is three full sized suitcases, two maximum sized carry-on bags, a backpack and a briefcase. But I had the seats removed and the lift mounted on the floor so I may have a bit more room than you. And I have a back-up camera so blocking the rear window view was not an issue.
We have the back-up camera too - I'm not quite used to using it yet though. Old habits die hard.

I "think" the second row seats may be easier to remove than they were in my previous vans. This is my 3rd Honda Odyssey. I removed the 2nd row seats temporarily in the first two for various moves. But boy was it hard to get them back in. They were heavy and had to be placed exactly in the right place to reconnect. I did it a few times on my home, but the last time I had my DH to do it. He hated it. These are supposed to have a different connection and slide side to side.

Without the 2nd row seats we'd have plenty of room. But sometimes I want that 2nd row of seats. If we go out to dinner with friends I want to be able to give them a ride while also taking scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!