A new training log (comments welcome)

Psymonds

Mouseketeer
I'll probably take some time in the future to gussy up the intro post but here goes:

Me: 42, overweight, historically active but now need to find motivation.
History: 15 or so halfs and at least one 13.1 distance evant (half or trail/hike) every year since 2010.

So I may have messed up but I did sign up for the WDW full. A full has been a long term goal and I wanted to run a well run race for a full.

DS15 I signed up for the half (he will be 16 by then) he's athletic, plays rugby/soccer, rec swim and has trained with the cross country team. In good shape but has no distance race under belt.

other goals: need to be in shape for backpacking trip with scouts in Rockies in June 2025. Went in 2023 and we spectacular, but put on about 20 lbs between june 2023 and jan 2024... because I wasn't training regularly anymore.

we are on week 3 of training together, started with just working week 1 of the Galloway plan (even though it's week -8 or so) and working on deciding if I want to do that or switch to Higdon, as I still have time for the novice program before the 18 week program. DS uses our morning runs as extra training given the 2 hours of sports practice in afternoon right now.

will try to update daily with thoughts. On chapter 7 of Higdon's book right now.

Week 3, Day 2 - 2.2 miles, 30 minutes. (based on the Galloway training program (week -8) I was going for 30 min) Left calf soreness (front outside of left calf) because I'm working on changing my gait a bit, so this felt like a bit of an interval workout with longer gait sections and then some shuffle jogging in between.

DS15 was able to run for the first time in a week without knee pain. He also told it to me straight that I needed to actually run more (I had taken a few walks as substitutes due to time constraints and him not being able to run on our 5 am segments and... not as much progress this week as last)

Did PR a segment on Strava... where i was practicing a longer stride length.

Long run tomorrow target is 3.5 mi.
looking as starting Higdon base training: novice 12 week program starting Monday.

Last edited:

well, I didn't run Saturday, because I didn't wake up early enough to get back before I needed to take DS15 to rugby, and the rest of the day was full.

And today DS 15 had soccer at 8 am, 60 miles from home, so we both got up at 5, got to the field by 7, he won the soccer game and we got home by 10:45 am.

after last weekend and prior 2 weeks with a "long run" of 3 miles, I had said said I wanted to do 4 this week.
Was not vibing with the sun and heat so I did 4 slow miles. Picked up a few new strava segments that I had walked and hiked before but not run (So a PR or 3!) and the good news is they're nice accessible PR's for breaking in the future :)

anyhow, need to spend some time this evening planning this weeks running.

OK, trying the novice base training prior to the 18 week training program.

I'm more than 30 weeks out but that gives me time to do more of the 18 week program.

WeekMonTueWedThuFriSatSun
1Rest1.5 mi run3 mi run1.5 mi runRest30 min walk3 mi run

the distances are shorter than my current runs, so Tue/Thu I will probably stretch to what I've been doing and Sunday I'll probably keep the long run longer than 3 for now. so here's the current plan:

1Rest2 mi run3 mi run2 mi runRest30 min walk4 mi run

and look! I've finished Monday already!

Tuesday/weds update:

DS15 bailed on me Monday night for Tuesday morning, and I waffled on running alone in the dark, so I opted to run later. Well that turned into running right at sunset. (and admittedly I did walk a mile waiting for DS7's baseball game to start) but I got my 2 miles running in.

And then I realized I was going to run 3 miles just 8 hours in the future. DS also had a tough swim practice last night (running sports alone do not prepare you for swimming fitness...) DS 15 and I agreed to shift, and do 2 miles this morning. That way we'll have mostly full rest for tomorrow.

so far:

1Rest2 mi run3 mi run
2 mi run
2 mi run
3 mi run
Rest30 min walk4 mi run

last night's run was a bit of a struggle, I think mainly mental. ended up with a lot of walk bits, but still faster over several segments than the 4 mile pace.

morning run was good. focused on not redlining/needing to stop, and longer strides. pace was down over a minute/mile and a negative split.

Last edited:
I think I need to get better at just going for a run in the morning, if I let my day's schedule dictate I'm behind every day:

1Rest2 mi run3 mi run
2 mi run
2 mi run
3 mi run

Rest
Rest
30 min walk
30 min walk
3 Mile run
4 mi run

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter