A September Solo PTR!

KristieK13

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

My name is Kristie and I'm a 32 year old single, childless, head strong, career woman who has no luck with dating because men are intimidated by my success... at least that's what I tell myself when I wonder why I'm still single!! 😂

I'm taking a trip to my favourite place in the world on my own because I have no partner, all my close friends are married and/or with kids, no one in my life seems to share my affinity for Disney, and to be honest... I LOVE to travel on my own! My first solo trip was to Paris when I was 23.

This won't be my first solo Disney trip. I was able to visit Disney World after a 20 year (!!!) hiatus in February this year (right before the shall-not-be-named pandemic really took off). I was only on property for about 23 hours... I managed to fit in a quick trip after a cruise I took for a friend's wedding. I couldn't stay long due to budgeting and the fact that I had my 10 week old corgi at home that my sister was puppy sitting! I did 8 hours at Magic Kingdom and 3 hours at Hollywood Studios. Obviously... this was NOT enough and I knew I needed to go back ASAP. I've had my appetizer, and now I'm ready for the main meal!

Obviously my trip is pending the progress of the pandemic, but I'm still planning as if I'm going because I need something to look forward to during these dark days.

I've booked my hotel and flights (all refundable, thankfully), and I'm working through the rest of the schedule. True to my type A personality, I've come up with 3 different itineraries, which include 2 different crowd-avoiding strategies, and 1 "relaxed" vacation strategy.

Here are some of the basics:

When? September 19th to September 26th

One full week in the happiest place in the world, likely during Food & Wine!

Where? Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista Disney Springs

I stayed here for the one night during my quick February trip and I found it to be incredible. The hotel is considered a "Disney" hotel for the purposes of perks (extra magic hour access) and has beautiful, clean rooms and grounds. However, the biggest perk in opinion, is the transit access. The hotel provides buses to the parks twice an hour, but I never used them (I also heard bad things about them, namely timing issues, but I can't personally comment). I took a hop skip and a jump to Disney Springs (just across the road), and a bus to every single park AND resort is there at much more frequent intervals. This was particularly useful because I wanted to ride the monorail to see the monorail resorts, and to try out the new skyliners. For example, on the way to the Magic Kingdom, I took a bus to the Contemporary, jumped on the monorail, saw all 3 monorail resorts, and landed at the Magic Kingdom for my day at the park! This time around I plan to visit different resorts for dining reservations and to explore the grounds. It's also nice to know that since Disney Springs is open later than most things in Disney, there will almost always be Disney Springs bus service relatively late in the night at all parks & resorts.

That's all I have to share for now. I have lots of plans and I can't wait to share with you!

139 more days!

Kristie ::MinnieMo

Last edited:
A little more about me :)

Basics

Occupation: Anti-Money Laundering Risk Advisor (specializing in virtual currencies) 💰
Pet: A 5 month old corgi named Archie:dog:
Interests: Anything to do with the United Kingdom 🇬🇧, Toronto Blue Jays ⚾, baking 🧁, documentaries 📽, yoga 🧘‍♀️, and of course... DISNEY :smickey:

Disney Favs

Favourite character: Dale 🐿
Favourite movie: The Little Mermaid 🧜‍♀️
Favourite song: Into the Unknown ❄
Favourite park: Magic Kingdom 🏰
Favourite ride: Pirates 🏴‍☠️
Favourite Snack: Dole Whip🍍

Hi Kristie! Following along, I won't be solo but I will be there alone with you in Sept 🤞 from the 22-28th! DH and I will be at AOA for DGD and DIL's 1st visit:goodvibes Looking forward to hearing your plans!

Following along. I have a solo trip planned the week before you ( Sept 13th - 19th) Hoping we both get to go in Sept!

An update...

It's been 15 days since I last posted and boy... has life changed in that timeframe.

Have I mentioned that I'm fairly unlucky in life? I am one of those people who frequently finds that the odds stack themselves against me and strange freak accident type things happen to me. Some examples: In December, I picked a puppy out of the litter of tiny Corgi babies, and the puppy passed away while I was on my way to meet him for the first time. In January, while on a cruise with my family, I got extremely ill with sea sickness for the first time in 12 cruises for the ENTIRE cruise. In February, I got food poisoning on another cruise and spent the entire sea day vomiting (which also happened to be the night before my first trip to Disney World in 20 years). In March, I found out that an ex boyfriend (that I hoped to never see again) had moved into my condo building by bumping into him in the lobby.

April spared me. But then came May...

Just as I started to become more and more optimistic that the possibility of going to Disney World in September was becoming a reality as COVID measures started become more lax (at least it has here in Canada), during a routine outside trip to let my puppy do his business, I fell on stone steps an broke my ankle.

Like... REALLY broke my ankle. In 2 places. The tibia and fibula. A bimalleolar fracture. And I'm having surgery tomorrow.

The recovery process doesn't look like a good time. I'm told I won't even begin to start weight bearing until July. I won't be able to fully weight bear for weeks after that. And walking? Don't even think about it until September.....

SEPTEMBER.

I don't know what this means for my trip. I am pretty stubborn- I still want to go... it just may end up being a VERY different trip than I imagined. Maybe I'll end up going with one of those little knee scooters and get to by pass the lines because of my temporary "disability"... is that a silver lining I see???

Who knows at this point.

Regardless. I'll continue to plan my dream trip, because while I consider myself a realist, I'm also an optimist when it comes to the unknown (despite believing that I'm unlucky in life... which sounds pessimistic, but my record speaks for itself). Am I confusing you yet?

Fingers crossed for a successful surgery and a miraculous recovery...

I'll see you on the other side where I'll share something exciting... FOOD PLANS!!!

I am truly sorry to hear about your ankle and the possibility of it affecting your Disney trip! Like we don't have enough to worry about this year :sad2:

This isn't quite the same but, back in September of 2017 my DS15 tore his ACL playing high school football. That's a BAD injury always, and this took him out of his beloved basketball as well. It's a horrible surgery and about a year recovery. We had a Thanksgiving WDW trip planned but had to nix that of course but did move it to spring break that March.
His surgery was Nov. 10th so the trip brought us to about 4 months post-surgery. It was a different trip with lots more resting and he did get sore, but we ended up having a great trip; just "tweaked" it from our usual. And FYI he tore it again that May :( had surgery again in July and we went to Disney again that November. Same deal, had more rest time, and had a great trip. Best of luck to you and keep planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter