A sign that resale restrictions will be removed or changed soon?

BWoody

Tusker Lager Lover
Noticed something interesting today. I am a post Jan. 2019 resale only owner. So, I am unable to book at RIV. In fact, when I search for rooms it will not even show up in the search results. I just now checked availability across all properties out of curiosity, and to my surprise, RIV showed up in the search results. Of course when I tried to click through on a room it said the room was no longer available, and I tried doing it a couple times with different room types and dates to make sure I didn't just miss something, so I still can't book there. However, could this be a sign that they are preparing to remove restrictions and open up RIV to resale owners and possibly let RIV resale only owners book other resorts? Not sure why RIV would suddenly start showing up now.

It is probably just a technical glitch, but one could hope :)

I would imagine it is a technical glitch, since it won’t actually let book. Sales has not even been open throughout this and incentives To reduce price would be much more popular to the average buyer than those restrictions.

Noticed something interesting today. I am a post Jan. 2019 resale only owner. So, I am unable to book at RIV. In fact, when I search for rooms it will not even show up in the search results. I just now checked availability across all properties out of curiosity, and to my surprise, RIV showed up in the search results. Of course when I tried to click through on a room it said the room was no longer available, and I tried doing it a couple times with different room types and dates to make sure I didn't just miss something, so I still can't book there. However, could this be a sign that they are preparing to remove restrictions and open up RIV to resale owners and possibly let RIV resale only owners book other resorts? Not sure why RIV would suddenly start showing up now.

My money is on an IT SNAFU. DVC is not going to backpedal on the post-1/19 resale restrictions. If anything, they probably wish they could make it retroactive to all resale points.

Maybe not a snafu.

They want the white cards to search and see what they're missing, especially if RIV has better availability for a while if they make developer inventory available to deal with points extension.

Maybe not a snafu.

They want the white cards to search and see what they're missing, especially if RIV has better availability for a while if they make developer inventory available to deal with points extension.
Right?! I always thought it was so odd that you couldn't see it. If I were them I would be putting it right in front of everyone who has restrictions to say hey look at this pretty new resort. If you buy direct you can stay here too.

I (resale owner) noticed that change too but didn’t have enough available points to try and test out a booking. I saw on a FB group that another post Jan 19 resale owner wasn’t able to book, but WAS able to make a waitlist. Who knows if that waitlist would ever actually go through but still. Interesting ...

I noticed this too a day or so ago. I did try and book a night to see if it would go through (I was going to cancel if it did since I know as a recent resale buyer I’m not permitted to use my points there) and it would not go through. It kept giving me a message about it being unavailable or something and telling me to search again. I also thought being able to see RIV availability was an IT glitch and kept expecting it to go away.

edited to add a screenshot of what it shows if you try to book495483

Last edited:
Unless Disney starts to build a lot more of the so called DVC 2 properties, white card owners won't be missing out on too much. (unless they change or place more restrictions in the future)

Unless Disney starts to build a lot more of the so called DVC 2 properties, white card owners won't be missing out on too much. (unless they change or place more restrictions in the future)

Just to clarify, its resale owners who bought after Jan 2019 who can’t book RIV. Resale owners with white cards prior to that can!

I saw that too, OP. I just tried to book a night in December near our upcoming trip, and no matter which night I picked (I tried 5 different nights at different points in the month), it said the room was no longer available even though it was showing availability. Disney IT strikes again!

In 2042, post 1/19 resale owners will no longer be able to book HHI, VB, BRV, BCV, and BWV because those resorts will no longer exist as a part of DVC I.

In the mean time, Reflections and probably another 3 or 4 new DVC resorts will come online in addition to RIV...all of which post 1/19 resale owners will not be able to book unless they own there. There is a long-term plan in effect. Going forward, resale buyers will either be restricted to their home resort (RIV & all future DVC II) or they will have an ever dwindling selection of resorts that they can book. As the flexibility of buying resale constricts, owning a white card is not going to be as appealing. And that’s the goal. It’s not about now, or even the next five years. It’s look deep into the future.

In 2042, post 1/19 resale owners will no longer be able to book HHI, VB, BRV, BCV, and BWV because those resorts will no longer exist as a part of DVC I.

In the mean time, Reflections and probably another 3 or 4 new DVC resorts will come online in addition to RIV...all of which post 1/19 resale owners will not be able to book unless they own there. There is a long-term plan in effect. Going forward, resale buyers will either be restricted to their home resort (RIV & all future DVC II) or they will have an ever dwindling selection of resorts that they can book. As the flexibility of buying resale constricts, owning a white card is not going to be as appealing. And that’s the goal. It’s not about now, or even the next five years. It’s look deep into the future.
I think you are on point there. If I make it to 2042 I will be 67 and may or may not be heading to Disney that much so I guess I am not thinking in that regards. Disney is looking at the 20 something age crowd I guess. But I do think that thier DVC 2 plan will get delayed a bit now, as will many things though.

My guess is they will offer an extension to the contract like they did for SSR.

My guess is they will offer an extension to the contract like they did for SSR.
Whoops, I think you mean OKW. ;)

A lot of people here were around when the OKW extensions were offered and it’s a hot mess. DVC won’t do that again.

I would be happy if this were true, but I doubt it is real. More likely another glitch in the program.
While we purchased before these restrictions have much effect on us, it would still be nice to see them gone.

why is it a mess?
Points are tied to specific units, units are tied to the resort’s land lease from Disney.
To Extend OKW, DVC had to extend the lease on the entire resort, and then ask all owners to either buy the extension or pretty, pretty please sign a notarized quit claim deed to give the extension back to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter