Keep Moving Forward: A Training Log (Comments Welcome)

It's probably mental, but better safe than sorry! I convinced myself before my first marathon that I had a hernia (I did not.) :rotfl: I've loved following your journey and can't wait to see how great you do next week!

After a brief hiatus to rest my ankle, I was back at it this morning for 6 miles @ EA (9:47/mile). I tried to take it really easy and just listen to my body. For the most part, I think it went well. I felt a slight twinge of tightness/pressure in my ankle, but nothing significant. I had kind of a general sluggish feeling, but I'm told that's typical for the taper period, so I'm not going to sweat it.

One week until my 26.2 mile "victory lap" and the end of this training. I'm sure I'm going to be worrying about my ankle at least a little bit between now and the race, but aside from that, this is best I've ever felt going into a marathon. Four more easy runs and then it's time to rock and roll.

Today's Distance: 6 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:48/mile
Time: 58:51
Miles This Week: 23
Year To Date: 547

Current forecast for Sunday: partly sunny, high of 71 and a low of 50. That's a bit warm for my tastes, but at least it shouldn't rain and we're starting at 7:30, so hopefully I'm running a majority of the race in the 50s.

Also, here's a quote on the race from a buddy of mine who has run across all of Iowa's 99 counties: "It should be a terrible course, and by terrible I mean it should make a great story."

So...yeah. He's referring to all of the hills on the route. You can see the elevation changes here.

Anyway, not the most encouraging words, but I'm not too concerned. I've run on a lot of hills during my training and I'm confident I can handle whatever the course throws at me. I think the bigger thing to focus on is staying hydrated. It's been a while since I've run in that kind of heat. But, there will be water every couple of miles and I'll be wearing my hydration belt, so no big deal.

So, as I previously mentioned, I started a whole new job this week. I've quickly determined that meant tossing a stick of dynamite into my running routine. At my old job, I was up at 5:30, into work by 6:30 (after a 40 minute commute), out of work at 2:30 and generally home by 3:30 and running by 4. With my new job, I don't start until 8 or so and with almost no commute, but then I don't get home until 5 or so.

Since my sleep habits aren't going to adjust overnight, I decided to keep my regular wake up time this week and just get up and run. Fortunately, the weather is decent, so it's not much of a chore. We'll see what happens this fall when I'm getting into Dopey training and it won't be quite as warm.

Anyway, I did 6 miles @ EA this morning and everything felt pretty good, maybe a little on the fast side. That should serve me well tomorrow morning when I did 6 miles @ EB.

Distance: 6 miles
Avg. Pace: 9:34
Time: 57:29

Up and at 'em early again this morning for 6 miles at EB (9:06/mile). The run itself was fine - weather was nice, everything felt pretty good, maybe a little on the fast side.

DopeyBadger and I had a good chat throughout the day going over goals, pace, and his "rules" for the race. I'm starting to get pumped. I truly think a PR and a sub-4 hour marathon are realistic possibilities and I would truly be pumped if I can pull that off. The course is going to be hilly, so I'm tempering expectations slightly, but I'm anticipating a good run on Sunday. The weather should be good, too.

Today's Distance: 6 miles
Avg. Pace: 8:58/mile
Time: 53:52

I'm excited to see how you do on Sunday! You've definitely put in the work ... I'm looking forward to seeing you get that PR and sub-4 hour result!

I love The Office! Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Attachments

• 5FD74A59-DFBF-47A1-A37B-3C0F1AB7C78A.jpeg
    5FD74A59-DFBF-47A1-A37B-3C0F1AB7C78A.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 7
36 hours, gang.

I kicked off the morning with 5 miles @ EA (9:47/mile). It was a nice, easy run. I'm feeling good and ready to roll on Sunday.

I picked up my bib and swag bag today. The CRANDIC marathon is named for the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City railway (CR AND IC, get it?). Anyway, the shirt and gear are pretty sweet. They threw in a train whistle with the Run CRANDIC logo on it. Fun stuff. One of my buddies is the race director and hooked me up with some Run CRANDIC socks. The shirt is gray, which is fine. The half marathon runners get a red shirt, which looks super sharp, but whatever. I'll try to post pics of the swag later.

Anyway, not much else to report. I'm super chill and feeling fully trained. Right now, I'm more hyped for Avengers: Infinity (8 p.m. tonight!!) than the race, but talk to me again tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be pumped for the marathon.

Keep moving forward.

Today's Distance: 5 miles
Pace: 9:29/mile
Time: 47

Well, it's just about go time. The race starts in 18 hours. I've set my alarm for 4 and I need to be on a shuttle to Cedar Rapids no later than 5:15. It's supposed to be 35 degrees at 6 a.m. and 56 degrees at 11 a.m., so I'm thinking sleeves, tights and a beanie for the race. I'm going to throw a crummy long-sleeve shirt over top to stay warm and ditch it at the start. I'll also have my hydration belt with two (12 oz?) water battles and a pouch containing two packages of the Clif energy chews. The course has water/Gatorade stops every two miles or so up until Mile 20, then they're every mile, so that should all be fine.

I had my final taper run this morning - 2.5 miles @ EB (9:06/mile). It was a breeze. Everything felt fine. Legs were a little tight, but I think that's typical of my body on any run. I was paying close attention to my left side. I somehow aggravated my rib cage yesterday and couldn't even sleep on that side last night, but it didn't seem to hamper my running. I'm guessing/hoping it's entirely cleared up tomorrow morning.

Mentally, I'm feeling good. I've done as much as I possibly can to prepare for this race. I stuck very closely to DopeyBadger's plan. I'm not worried about any lingering injuries or anything else, really. Tomorrow should be a good day.

So...goals:

- Finish
- Have fun
- Set a marathon PR (PR now is 4:22:25)
- Get a sub-4 hour marathon

Here is a photo of our shirts and the train whistle mentioned in the previous post. Fun stuff. I'm giving the train whistle to my daughter and hoping she'll use it to cheer me on tomorrow.

View attachment 319640

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!