A week at Disney without the parks?

MCharpie

Earning My Ears
We (family of 4 with 4 and 5 year olds) are looking forward to our 4th visit as a family in late April 2018:) We're strongly considering trying to use this trip to explore parts of disney outside of the 4 parks. Have you ever done this? We're considering staying at Beach Club and spending our days swimming, exploring the Boardwalk, visiting Disney Springs (haven't been since it was Downtown Disney!), booking character meals at resorts, renting boats, seeing the fireworks from the Poly beach, etc. So, what say you? My husband thinks we'll end up buying park tickets - which is certainly an option. I would love input from those who have tried it (or those who never would consider it!). Thanks in advance!

We do 10 days vacations every time we go and I manage to schedule just 2 days without the parks. That includes Downtown Disney, the pools and exploring other resorts (a fun thing to do). I think your husband may be right about boredom and if you wait to long you lose out on Fastpasses.

We (family of 4 with 4 and 5 year olds) are looking forward to our 4th visit as a family in late April 2018:) We're strongly considering trying to use this trip to explore parts of disney outside of the 4 parks. Have you ever done this? We're considering staying at Beach Club and spending our days swimming, exploring the Boardwalk, visiting Disney Springs (haven't been since it was Downtown Disney!), booking character meals at resorts, renting boats, seeing the fireworks from the Poly beach, etc. So, what say you? My husband thinks we'll end up buying park tickets - which is certainly an option. I would love input from those who have tried it (or those who never would consider it!). Thanks in advance!

While I love my "down" time at DS and resorts, four days of no parks would not work for me. I still love the parks but need a break now and then. Love DS for that. But at the end of the day it's about what works for you and your family! I would probably only do that if I was an AP holder and was at WDW ALL the time. But seeing as though you have not been in a while -I'd say the parks are worth it. Again - it's about your desires, not ours. ENJOY!

We've done long weekends there not going to parks (3 or 4 nights) and loved it. We had some extra DVC points and didn't want to buy park tix. It was great. We slept in, hung out by the pool, shopped, explored the area a little, nice dinners and night caps. It was wonderful to come home from Disney all rested and relaxed!

I know there's another thread that lists all sorts of things to do at disney outside of the parks. Search doesn't like me, but maybe you can find it.

Hmmm...that's an interesting one. I would say it's possible.

Here are a few other items to add to your to-do list: Movies on the beach at Beach Club. Mini-golf. You can walk to Fantasia Gardens from the Beach Club. You would have to take a bus to the Winter/Summer wonderland mini-golf course. Both are fun (DH and I visit them almost every trip!) Visit Tri-circle D ranch at Ft. Wilderness campgrounds. Do a monorail-resort tour. Come up with some sort of fun plan for each resort on the mono-rail: get a desert or a beverage or something like that at each resort. Take some time to walk through the lobbies of Deluxe resorts around you. If you really take some time to look at them, they have some fun and interesting things. Most people just cruise through the lobbies without a second glance. There is a boat that goes between the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge. I really enjoy that boat ride. You could check out the lobby at Wilderness lodge. While at Wilderness Lodge, check out the lobby at the Boulder Ridge Villas (DVC). There is (or at least there used to be) some of Walt's train stuff.

Have a great trip!!

I think with kids that age, it may be tough. Swimming will occupy some time, but Disney Springs and resort exploring is going to get old for them. Plus, if they know about the theme parks, it will be torture for them to be so close and not get to go. Imagine if you were that age and could see the Magic Kingdom and didn’t get to go?

I'm curious what your reasons are for wanting to not buy park tickets. Is it a cost thing? Are you just wanting to try something different. Because, honestly, if it's to avoid the cost, you'll probably spend most of the price of park tickets on character meals and other activities. I'd rather go cheap on food and have at least a little time in the parks.

Honestly, I couldn't go and at least not go to the MK at least one day.

I'm curious what your reasons are for wanting to not buy park tickets. Is it a cost thing? Are you just wanting to try something different. Because, honestly, if it's to avoid the cost, you'll probably spend most of the price of park tickets on character meals and other activities. I'd rather go cheap on food and have at least a little time in the parks.

Honestly, I couldn't go and at least not go to the MK at least one day.

It's not related to cost - we certainly can/would buy park tickets. It's because it's our 4th trip in 2 years and we were thinking of trying to do something different. We searched other vacation options yet found for our family, Disney really is the best location for us right now! Plus, we often leave our trips feeling like there's so many other things to do so when we made a list of ideas, we were thinking they could easily fill a week! Our kids love Epcot and Magic Kingdom. They didn't care for Animal Kingdom, though I'd love to see it now at night. We've yet to visit HS. Perhaps we'll do a few days of parks and try to squeeze in more activities on other days. As another poster mentioned, I don't want to miss out on FP+ so I'd like to decide before our 60 days!

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

I have done it for a long weekend (four nights) and I have an AP. I suggest picking a resort that you really love. My favorite for a non park trip is WL. I like the fact that it doesn’t feel like Florida. There are lots of activities right next door at FW, as well as the Lodge. You can’t really see the parks from there, so “out of sight, out of mind”.

I would find it much harder at an Epcot resort, since Epcot is my favorite park and I could just stroll in from there.

I actually did this once but my son was only 16 months old. We stayed at the Poly while my DH went to a conference at the Contemporary. We treated the Poly like it was a beach resort and barely ever left the pool/beach area. At night we would eat at DS. But this worked because my son was still taking daily, and long naps. While he napped I read a lot. But that's also my own personal idea of a perfect vacation.

It's not related to cost - we certainly can/would buy park tickets. It's because it's our 4th trip in 2 years and we were thinking of trying to do something different. We searched other vacation options yet found for our family, Disney really is the best location for us right now! Plus, we often leave our trips feeling like there's so many other things to do so when we made a list of ideas, we were thinking they could easily fill a week! Our kids love Epcot and Magic Kingdom. They didn't care for Animal Kingdom, though I'd love to see it now at night. We've yet to visit HS. Perhaps we'll do a few days of parks and try to squeeze in more activities on other days. As another poster mentioned, I don't want to miss out on FP+ so I'd like to decide before our 60 days!

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

I am considering something similar for next year. Looking at 3 or 4 nights at AKL with no park tickets and then a week at the beach near Clearwater. We do WDW every year and would not miss the parks. I've found there's plenty to do at any deluxe resort to keep us entertained but we prefer the ones with community halls. Have found our kids love their activities.

If we do waterparks this December I may buy waterpark annual passes and use those for the next trip as that seems to be a very good deal.

There is certainly plenty to do outside the parks to keep you busy but I don't know that I'd pay the price for a Disney resort, especially an Epcot resort and not go to the parks. You would have access to most if not all of the things you mentioned (other than the pools) by staying at a nice off site resort and spend less money. The selling point to paying as much as you pay for a Disney resort is the access to the parks. We don't spend all our time in the parks but I don't think we've ever been when we haven't at least popped into one for a hour or two. We are AP holders and go at least twice a year, heck I've been 4 times this year.

We did this once, but we were there for a business trip and our DD was only 6 months old. Between the work part of the trip, and the baby we didn't miss anything. But with kids I think it could be harder. That said, my kids would be happy if we went to a different resort pool everyday, and I think most of the resorts have little playgrounds? It will defiantly be a different tempo to the trip, but it could be a lot of fun! You will have to let us know if you do it and how it goes.

As an adult, I've always wanted to do this but always get seduced by the parks, though, so it's always a mix. My compromise is that because I'm on a mission to stay at every resort on property (six down, two more booked!), I make sure to schedule plenty of non-park time to fully enjoy all the resort has to offer. When I was little, our family trips were offsite but we would still do about 50/50 with park days and non-park days.

But honestly, there's so much you could do- this touringplans article has a lot of great suggestions, and I have in bookmarked for inspiration! The Deluxe Resorts, especially, have so much going on!

Last year before our cruise we did 4 nights at POR. We did not go to any park. We visited just about all the Disney resorts, went to many different restaurants, and spent a lot of time at Disney Springs.

We just took our 2 kids last month for a week. This year my husband and i celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary, and while trying to decide what to do, we decided on going back and stay at Disney (pop!..we love that resort) for a week in January But only doing 2 park days. We are going to explore the resorts and Disney springs, play putt putt, we have reservations at Hoop De Do Revue 1 non park night. And we are also considering going to Discovery Cove 1 day. Choosing only 2 parks was a hard one...we knew Magic Kingdom would be one, and decided not to do Hollywood since it's mostly shows right now. So that left Epcot and Animal kingdom. Animal kingdom is our favorite park next to MK...but we decided to go to Epcot because we have always felt rushed when we have been there, this time, with no kids, we can take our time and explore the world showcase...and all the yummy food is another perk! Even though my husband said "no disney" at first, he's liking the idea of a slower pace and getting to do some exploring!!

Im doing it in a few weeks with the kids, 8,6 and 3. We will be at Fort Wilderness tent camping for Halloween and have tickets for MNSSHP. Im considering it for our Jan 2018 trip as well depending how this goes. My kids love to roam the resorts pin trading and site seeing. We have made a day of just riding the busses, boats and monorail. I know lots of the campers that do this but then again its a different kind of trip camping vs staying at a resort. We are DVC too and plan to do a big trip at one of the DVC resorts after Hollywood Studios is complete.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter