ABD China changes?

Anyone going on the April trip to China? Wondering if there gonna cancel the trips due to the virus that is spreading now.

Anyone going on the April trip to China? Wondering if there gonna cancel the trips due to the virus that is spreading now.

I'm following this outbreak too as we are set to go on the Southeast Asia trip in March and the virus is likely to spread beyond China. I've been reading that scientists don't think it's as serious as SARS, but there are too few cases to really know the fatality rate just yet. It does seem highly contagious as one sick person in a Wuhan hospital passed it to 15, possibly 16 hospital workers --all came down with pneumonia, 1 is in serious condition, the others are stable condition.

Right now CDC has put travel to China at level 1 but there will be an emergency WHO meeting tomorrow, Jan 22 which could change that status. I bet Disney would cancel if CDC puts out a warning level 3 which says to "avoid all non-essential travel." That would happen if this turns out to be a disease with a high fatality rate and/or adequate health care might not be available because hospitals in the region become inundated.

Yikes if it isn't civil unrest it's a potential public health emergency! Our trip isn't until the end of August so I don't think it's time for me to panic but it will be interesting to see how it affects the earlier trips. Looks like the WHO is meeting today to decide if it's a true emergency or not.

Yikes if it isn't civil unrest it's a potential public health emergency! Our trip isn't until the end of August so I don't think it's time for me to panic but it will be interesting to see how it affects the earlier trips. Looks like the WHO is meeting today to decide if it's a true emergency or not.
My trip is scheduled Mid September and my mom has been freaking out since the beginning with the civil unrest. She really wanted to cancel it right away. My cousins got back from China in November doing a tour on their own. They said only 1 area was scary and they would not go there again.

Ideally I have always wanted to go to Japan as well, and that would be the ABD I would switch to from China if they cancel with civil unrest. But if ABD cancels due to the virus, then I doubt I would want to go there at the moment as well.

They said only 1 area was scary and they would not go there again.
They wouldn't go back to that area or back to Hong Kong at all?

I'm hopefully optimistic about all of this being sorted out by then, but I did definitely browse other options during our dates and the Ecuador & Galapagos one sounds really cool. But part of the reason we want to go to China so bad is to get to the parks there, so it would be a real bummer to have to push that off.

ETA: less of a bummer than the failure of democracy or a worldwide epidemic, though. I realized I sounded very 'first world problems' just now. Obviously the resolution of those two issues is much more important than my vacation plans.

Shanghai Disneyland and parts of great wall are closed. The US has issued a travel advisory warning going there, but it's basically the area that is infected now. They better start contacting the early groups cuz I am definitely interested how this is gonna turn out to be.

Shanghai Disneyland and parts of great wall are closed. The US has issued a travel advisory warning going there, but it's basically the area that is infected now. They better start contacting the early groups cuz I am definitely interested how this is gonna turn out to be.
Same. I didn't see anyone respond that they're on earlier trips but maybe it will somehow trickle into the Disney news.

ETA: I also saw that Beijing is cancelling Lunar New Year celebrations, which is a huge deal.

If history is any indication it "ain't gonna be good"....
I was pretty young during the SARS outbreak but it seems like this time around the official actions have been swifter and they've been more forthright with communicating the scale and details of the virus. So maybe that will help keep it from spreading??

I just read a couple of articles and the language isn't terribly specific, but it does say that China has ordered agency to stop sales of tours, not necessarily to stop the tours. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before upcoming tours start getting notices.

Last edited:
Hong Kong Disneyland has now closed too... its good they are acting much swifter. It’s a bummer for people with trips scheduled but I’m sure safety is more important

We are scheduled to go on a mid-June China adventure, and when the CDC raise the level yesterday I called this morning and talked to an ABD representative. They said that ABD was monitoring the situation and have not made any "Business Decisions" on if they will be going forward with or canceling the China Adventures in 2020, I asking if she had any time frame for when they would make the decision, and they said no. I am hoping they make the decisions soon, before we have to start applying for Visa's and booking flights. But my family is almost to the point of we would rather lose the deposit then spend more money and then not be able to enjoy the trip because the Disney Parks are closed, or all of the other things we wanted to see are unavailable.

Hopefully they get everything figured out soon, because it just isn't a good situation for anyone involved!

We are scheduled to go on a mid-June China adventure, and when the CDC raise the level yesterday I called this morning and talked to an ABD representative. They said that ABD was monitoring the situation and have not made any "Business Decisions" on if they will be going forward with or canceling the China Adventures in 2020, I asking if she had any time frame for when they would make the decision, and they said no. I am hoping they make the decisions soon, before we have to start applying for Visa's and booking flights. But my family is almost to the point of we would rather lose the deposit then spend more money and then not be able to enjoy the trip because the Disney Parks are closed, or all of the other things we wanted to see are unavailable.

Hopefully they get everything figured out soon, because it just isn't a good situation for anyone involved!
Hm so it sounds like they haven't made the call on any of the adventures, even the ones in April.

I wonder what their policy would be if people wanted to voluntarily cancel the earlier trips especially. I would hope they wouldn't put up a fight to give a refund...I'm a physician and would absolutely NOT go to China for at the very least next 6-8 months.

This is not good. They really need to make a decision. I'm actually kind of surprised that they are even messing around with it. I would hope as @neurosx1983 said that they wouldn't balk at returning deposits if people wanted to voluntarily cancel. Such a bummer situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter