ABD China changes?

I just received word that our May 24th ABD China has been cancelled. Full refund or move to another trip.
If your trip was canceled then I'm assuming the May 17 one will be as well. They still haven't removed the dates from the website. Did they cancel due to low numbers or the virus?

500 million now quarantined in cities in China. All flights, roads and rail blocked. It ain’t gettin’ much better. Refunds all around in my estimation.

Due to the virus. I’m assuming the 17th is cancelled as well. Bummed as it was for my husbands 50th birthday and our first ABD. Now thinking of doing Japan on our own.
Darn, I'm so sorry! What a trip to have to be cancelled. But I've heard amazing things about Japan and can't wait to visit there, myself. You'll have a great time!

Just got word our May China trip has been cancelled, too. Now to see if I can get Delta to refund my airfare....
Yes, I'd like to find out if ABD cancels a trip, would they refund your airfare? Or only if you purchased it through ABD?
ABD's policy has always been that if they cancel a trip, you can get a full refund of your ABD cost, including airfare, even if you didn't book your airfare through ABD. I imagine in this instance, though, they'd probably want to know first if Delta will be refunding your money or not.

I don't know if the policy is any different if they are forced to cancel the trip vs deciding to cancel the trip...

Sayhello

We consider ourselves extremely fortunate in so many ways. We enjoyed the last ABD trip to China in 2019 - the end of October. We experienced very little disruption from the protests in HK, but they were very evident while we were there (our hotel was peacefully surrounded for about 4-5 hours our first day). That was at the beginning of the trip, and the rest of the trip was completely uneventful. The experience was amazing, including the 2 Asia Disney parks. But less than 3 months later, the virus was a completely new situation and quite concerning.

Like I said, we were fortunate in many ways - I hope the virus is something they can identify and offer solutions for in the near future - else travel to China will remain a big question mark for many months ahead. And if they're cancelling already for trips out into May (and maybe beyond), that's a really big deal. But much better safe and healthy. But I hope all of you with trips being cancelled get the chance to do the trip in the near future.

Due to the virus. I’m assuming the 17th is cancelled as well. Bummed as it was for my husbands 50th birthday and our first ABD. Now thinking of doing Japan on our own.
The Japan ABD is truly spectacular!

Sayhello

Vietnam now has an entire village quarantined a few miles outside Hanoi. As far as airfare refunds when ABD cancelled our trip they told us "since you did not make your plane reservations through ABD no refunds or paying change fees". Good luck with your airfare refund. Hopefully Delta will come through.

Vietnam now has an entire village quarantined a few miles outside Hanoi. As far as airfare refunds when ABD cancelled our trip they told us "since you did not make your plane reservations through ABD no refunds or paying change fees". Good luck with your airfare refund. Hopefully Delta will come through.
I thought that was because you wanted to reschedule your flight so that you could take the trip with another company.

Sayhello

First we wanted a full refund and ABD said no. Then we scrambled to find another travel company ( whom we love ) to come close to the same time and asked just for the change fee refunded and again NO. We weren't going to "eat" $4700.00 in airfare just because they decided to cancel.

If you do several of us have been to Japan recently - both with ABD and without. I've been several times on my own, and my last trip in April 2019 I mimicked a good deal of ABDs' journey (Ok, well, the parts I hadn't already experienced on an earlier trip). We'd offer any advice we can if you have questions! :)

Has the ABD South East Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia) trip for March or May been cancelled?
I called Thursday and they're saying it's still on. The region isn't getting any better. Cruisecritic is reporting some Norwegian ships are cancelling all stops in Vietnam through December. Until there is a treatment for the critical cases (right now everything is 'experimental') we don't want to go there and risk bringing it back to our community. I would never forgive myself if an elderly or immunocompromised person died and it was linked back to us. "Death by Disney" the headline would read, and we would be almost certainly be painted as callous jet-setters who only cared about taking their luxury vacation. No thanks. Don't want any part of it.

I called Thursday and they're saying it's still on. The region isn't getting any better. Cruisecritic is reporting some Norwegian ships are cancelling all stops in Vietnam through December. Until there is a treatment for the critical cases (right now everything is 'experimental') we don't want to go there and risk bringing it back to our community. I would never forgive myself if an elderly or immunocompromised person died and it was linked back to us. "Death by Disney" the headline would read, and we would be almost certainly be painted as callous jet-setters who only cared about taking their luxury vacation. No thanks. Don't want any part of it.
Have you told ABD this? I can't imagine what their answer is.

Sayhello

Oh yes. I have emailed and called. They are very nice on the phone, they listen to my concerns and reply that they are "monitoring the situation closely" and watching the travel restrictions put out by WHO, CDC, etc. There is no restriction right now to the countries on the itinerary so they don't see a reason to cancel. Perhaps I'm the only one who is concerned and everyone else is excited about the trip? I don't tend to be a worrier, we travel all over the world, Africa, etc but the diseases that we might catch anywhere else as a leisure traveler have proven medical treatments. This one doesn't.

If you want to see what clinicians worldwide are being told, go to UpToDate.com. It has the latest from WHO, CDC, etc. They took the paywall down for the coronavirus page so everyone around the world can access the information. I encourage you to go and inform yourself. All I can say is that is bound to come to the US eventually and you want to be in the group who gets a mild case (~80% of people) that doesn't progress to hospitalization (~20%). Keep your immunity up -- don't let yourself get run down. Get plenty of sleep, focus on healthy eating. No smoking, obviously & avoid lung irritants like secondhand smoke, pollution, chemicals. Stop drinking. Even moderate alcohol use messes with your immunity. Wash your hands often. Hopefully one of the many clinical trials running right now will have a breakthrough on a treatment or drug and then we can rest easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!