ABD Insurance Opinions Needed

aroundtheriverbend

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I tried to search this as I'm sure it's been discussed before but haven't had much luck - what have you found the best ABD trip insurance plan to be? We are going on the Danube cruise in December 18, so it would be for the trip as well as the airfare (which I believe we will be booking through ABD). The ABD insurance seemed priced very high, but is that what you suggest using?

No pre-existing conditions, but you never know what can come up with jobs, health, etc.

Thanks,
Allison

I suggest going to insuremytripdotcom and comparing prices for policies with similar coverage. I find ABD to be high. If you have anyone under 18 traveling with you, it will be much cheaper not to purchase the insurance from ABD.

I like Allianz insurance. Covers the trip and the flights (delays, cancellations, lost bags, etc). Cheaper than thru ABD.

I have always found it more economical to purchase your own trip insurance, especially if you are adding pre or post days. I use the same website that @Bobo912 uses and have for years -- their customer service has always been outstanding.

Also check what trip insurance you have in place automatically via the credit card you are using to book the trip. For example, I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred does something like up to $5000 per person automatically per trip (don't quote me on the number).

Just echoing what others have said about using insuremytripdotcom to do some comparison shopping. I've tended to end up with Travel Insured policies, although, as BluesTraveler pointed out, for some trips lately, I'm tending to rely solely on the coverage through our Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Last edited:

I love working with Steve from tripinsurancestore dot com. We DO have a preexisting condition that could take us out of the game at the last minute, and he always finds us the best coverage/price combo. I like that I can choose either to pay all at once or as I add on expenses. This way, I insure exactly what I've paid for instead of a rounded up best guess. I also like that the detailed take-with-me letter he sends out just before I leave, with what to do/who to contact and how, if anything should go amiss.

I agree with the above! insuremytripdotcom is my favorite because they have *so* many good options; you can pick just what you need. tripinsurancestoredotcom is also great. They don't offer as many options, but they have a *fabulous* FAQ.

Sayhello

So chase sapphire will only cover up to 10K. I looked at insuremytripdot com and they list only 3 agencies when I looked at recommended. The first one is worldwide trip protector CF travel insured international and it's actually more than what ABD is quoting for an insurance. Next one is Travelex insurance services as travel basic which is only 300 cheaper than the first one. I was planning on going with just chase sapphire but the amount back is so low, and ABD you get 20 K as max. For those that did insuremytripdotcom which one did you choose? Or did you look at comprehensive?

My family always purchases trip insurance for ABDs and any other big trips. We just came back from two weeks in Europe (partly on a British History Tour about Anne Boleyn, so not an ABD). If I’m remembering correctly, I insured $7,500 of the trip (many hotel days were on points), and the site mentioned previously found a good rate for us.

So chase sapphire will only cover up to 10K. I looked at insuremytripdot com and they list only 3 agencies when I looked at recommended. The first one is worldwide trip protector CF travel insured international and it's actually more than what ABD is quoting for an insurance. Next one is Travelex insurance services as travel basic which is only 300 cheaper than the first one. I was planning on going with just chase sapphire but the amount back is so low, and ABD you get 20 K as max. For those that did insuremytripdotcom which one did you choose? Or did you look at comprehensive?

The CSR insurance also doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. That took it out of the running for us.

CSR says they do cover pre-existing conditions, but it's the time frame of what your pre-existing conditions is. They have the same time frame as the ABD insurance, which excludes 60 days before booking of your trip. ABD will cover pre-existing as long as you pay in full within 14 days of adding it, and not based on the PIF. However, CSR does not cover any medical claims you incur on travel, they focus more on trip delay and interruption. ABD insurance says they will cover medical claims so I went with both to be on the same side.

We generally never get trip insurance, but dh and I are leaving for a trip in 2 weeks where it was required. We used insuremytripdotcom, which was very easy. We are doing a G Adventures/NatGeo trip in 2020 and they require trip insurance also. I haven't seen what they offer yet as far as coverage and cost to compare what I can get elsewhere. For our June trip, I learned that WHEN you purchase the insurance is important. If I'd gotten it within 2 weeks of putting money down, I could have got the 'cancel for any reason" coverage. So this time I'll shop around a bit before paying the deposit on the trip.

CSR says they do cover pre-existing conditions, but it's the time frame of what your pre-existing conditions is. They have the same time frame as the ABD insurance, which excludes 60 days before booking of your trip. ABD will cover pre-existing as long as you pay in full within 14 days of adding it, and not based on the PIF. However, CSR does not cover any medical claims you incur on travel, they focus more on trip delay and interruption. ABD insurance says they will cover medical claims so I went with both to be on the same side.

I was referring to having to cancel your trip because of a pre-existing condition. The CSR does not cover that as their travel interruption/cancellation page outlines.

What’s Not Covered
This is not an exhaustive list. Examples include:
  • Travel arrangements canceled or changed by a common carrier, tour operator, or any travel agency unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation
  • Change in plans or financial circumstances
  • A pre-existing condition
  • Traveling against the advice of a physician
  • A declared or undeclared war
  • Trips that exceed 60 days in duration are not covered

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

If traveling OUT of USA Always Take out Travel Insurance no matter what the cost .

You Never know what happens .......... better to be safe than sorry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter