ABD Ireland May 2018: Packing Advice, Please!

daradactyl

Earning My Ears
Hey, Adventurers!

My husband and I are super looking forward to a spring tour of Ireland! This will be our second ABD: our first was our honeymoon last May in Spain. It was absolute perfection: our adventure guides were amazing, our tour group bonded immediately, and we all had a fantastic time. If there's anything at all that I would change, it would be on my own part: I packed way too much, and I'd love to avoid making that same mistake again!

It's with that in mind that I turn to you for advice: what on earth should I pack? The weather is anticipated to land anywhere from the high 40s to the low 70s. I know there's one formal night planned, and a lot of good walking around time. We'll be there for eight days with the tour, and four days before to explore my husband's ancestral homelands.

Thanks, everyone!

I was planning to ask a similar question about my upcoming Scotland trip. I'm specifically curious about whether we should pack more formal clothing for the group dinners.

OP, my general advice for the weather you are describing is to pack layers. If you bring enough short sleeve shirts for the trip (or however long it will be before you do laundry), then you can get away with just a few long sleeve tops to wear over them (because you can wear them multiple times before washing since they are going over another shirt) and a jacket, scarf and gloves. On our last vacation, we also cut down on what we packed by bringing a tiny bottle of Woolite and washing some things in the sink at our hotel. I wouldn't suggest that for thick items, because they take too long to dry. But for t-shirts and sundresses it worked well.

We have been on the Ireland trip and found layers work best! The weather is unpredictable. Most days, I wore a sweater and jeans. You definitely need rain gear!

O.k.

I live in Cork , Ireland , ( South ),

Casual wear for dinner ( NO SWEAT SHIRTS T shirts or Shorts ) . ( Most people here wear Long Pants )

No need for Suits .

Dress Smart style

Rain Gear it will rain .

Good walking shoes .

MOST Important Bring Travel Adaptors for Charging Phones 3 pin Flat -- --

Credit Cards & Debit Cards ( ATM ) will work Try and have Chip & Pin

Where is the ancestral Home area ?

We have been on the Ireland trip and found layers work best! The weather is unpredictable. Most days, I wore a sweater and jeans. You definitely need rain gear!

I agree on this. We did ABD Scotland followed by a few post-days on our own in Ireland. Found the weather similar. Rain jackets are a necessity for both, probably with a cozy sweater underneath. Jeans or quick-dry pants for the day. We were in Scotland in August and bought gloves and wool scarves to keep warm at times, so I imagine in May it can get chilly. My photography tip for these rain-prone trips: take a shower cap from the hotel room and use it to cover your camera while you are walking around. Makes a quick and inexpensive rain cover :) The Scotland itinerary has changed since we went, but if you scroll through the photos in my trip report that should give a sense of what people wore.

Whatever you do, take a warm sweater. Either pack it or wear it on the plane. No matter what else you do, make sure you have this extra layer. And definitely take a rain jacket and some spare socks. Have a great trip!!!

............and don't forget to pack some lozenges to aid that sore throat you will wake up with after a long night singing and drinking in the local pub.....( and maybe some aspirin if you imbibe more of "the creature" than you should) LOL.....Happy travels.

I haven't been to Ireland, but I backpacked around Scotland in August, many years ago. It was cold, coming from Houston! I had to go out and buy clothes. Definitely bring layers. In rainy countries, avoid jeans, as they get damp and never really dry out during the day. Consider something more in the performance fabric range, or get a cheap pair of rain pants to put over them (dh has some he keeps in his golf cart.) Slippers for the hotel if your feet tends toward cold. I have a pashmina I travel everywhere with. It works great as a blanket on the plane, a scarf when walking around, and can even be a hood in light rain. Good, water proof walking shoes.

avoid jeans, as they get damp and never really dry out during the day.

Definitely agree!

I went on a Scotland/Ireland trip for 10 days a couple of years ago and managed to have everything in a carry on (the only time I've been able to do this!). I did do laundry once halfway through but found that leggings, long sleeved t-shirts and a nice waterproof jacket as well as sturdy walking shoes (2 pair ideally in case one gets wet!) as well as my go to cashmere pashima worked very well. We'll be in Scotland in March this year and Ireland in June so will basically pack the same things (plus a warm sweater or two!) twice :)

I was just in Dublin for a week in January - I'm assured that the weather doesn't get a whole lot warmer even in spring - it was cold and damp most days I didn't bring enough socks or shoes I could wear them in and had cold feet for 8 days until I finally bought fuzzy booties in Penney's. I wore skinny jeans and a hoodie every day. I'd pack one sweater and carry one on the plane so you have two and can alternate. I had leggings but never wore them out of the house as I find the wind just rips right through them and the jeans kept me much warmer. Have fun! I wish I'd been able to explore more of this amazing country!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter