ABD newbie - some additional questions

Donalyn

DIS Veteran
I just realized that Disboards had an ABD page, so I've been looking around here the past few weeks. My questions may have been asked before, so forgive me.

1. When do the new itineraries normally come out for the year? I'm looking specifically for when the 2019 dates will drop for the Italy trips. Any thoughts?

2. How do you book your trips? Through ABD? Through a different provider? If so, who and why?

3. Pre- and post- trip extra days - again, how do you book such days?

4. ABD for teens - we are planning Italy for 2019, when our girls will be 15 and 12. Do the kid activities tend to be geared to younger kids or do they get somewhat customized for the ages of the kids on the trips?

Any other recommendations for a ABD newbie? Thanks so much.

I can only answer # 2 and 3:
#2 you can either book directly through Disney or through a TA. We use Kevin at Dreams Unlimited Travel (the sponsors of the DIS Boards).
#3 you do that the same way as booking the ABD itself, directly with Disney or your TA.

I just realized that Disboards had an ABD page, so I've been looking around here the past few weeks. My questions may have been asked before, so forgive me.

1. When do the new itineraries normally come out for the year? I'm looking specifically for when the 2019 dates will drop for the Italy trips. Any thoughts?

2. How do you book your trips? Through ABD? Through a different provider? If so, who and why?

4. ABD for teens - we are planning Italy for 2019, when our girls will be 15 and 12. Do the kid activities tend to be geared to younger kids or do they get somewhat customized for the ages of the kids on the trips?

1. Usually May-ish.

2. Through my travel agent - Dreams Unlimitted. Convenience. They give a discount. Contact in case something goes wrong.

3. Often through my agent. Sometimes on my own if it's much cheaper or much more complicated (different city or hotel than where ABD starts)

4. Not strictly customized. But kids of similar age groups tend to group together. I wouldn't worry about that. Those are pretty good ages for ABD.

Lately it's been in the late-April through late-late May timeframes.

I've booked both directly through ABD and through a TA. I've found pluses and minuses for both. I have a hard time giving up control of my reservation, so I in general prefer booking directly through ABD. However, TA's can, if they know what they're doing, help you out if there are issues with your reservation or while you are traveling. For example, I had some issues with how the early booking discount was applied to my Iceland reservation, and my new TA really stepped up to get ABD to fix that.

Depends. If you go through a TA, you can work with them to see if doing them through ABD is the best option or not. If you're booking directly through ABD, you can work with them to see if you want to book it with them (usually pricey) or do it yourself.

From what I've seen, they are geared towards the mix of kids' ages they have.

So many! I'll come back when I have some more time and add some suggestions.

Sayhello

Last edited:

I have used Costco and a travel agent. My travel agent agreed to give me a discount that amounts to the same at what Costco would give me in rebate cards.

I booked directly through ABD so I would be sure that we got the airport pickups.

My girls are currently 12 and 14, and we just got back from an ABD. There were mostly teens on our trip and they guides made adjustments accordingly. The teens can choose to stay with the adults or do kids activities.

Reserve the ABD on the first day it's available for the best price. Wait for a while to book the airfare in case you need to change your trip before the final deposit is due. We have actually had good luck with the pricing from ABD directly.

Howdy! I can only answer part of this, because I travel on their adult only itineraries. BUT I always ask the guides how it works with kids around. So my answers are second hand there, but still...kinda...from the horse's mouth.

1 - I think that one has already been answered. Know in advance that people who have previously traveled with ABD are usually allowed to book a day ahead of newbies.

2 - I have booked both through ABD and travel agents. In my experience, the hosts of our board here are the FAR superior booking agent when it comes to ABD vs. other Disney-certified agents I have used for the same thing. You may get a discount when booking through a travel agent. Maybe not. Depends on the trip and the agency. ALWAYS ask if one is available.

3 - I book my pre/post days through ABD. It's easier now to book your own and connect to the trip, but we found it easier to just put everything on one reservation.

4 - When we have talked to the guides about having kids on the trip, it sounded like everyone did the same general activities BUT they were quite willing to tailor things to specific age groups if that's what they encountered. I wish I had traveled with these guys ages ago, but hindsight is 50/50.

I think your questions have been answered pretty well. I'll just add that I have found these boards super helpful, especially the Trip Report thread, Other Options thread and threads related to my itineraries. People are very friendly and there is a wealth of knowledge here so please don't be afraid to ask questions :)

1. - May usually but the first year they did a river cruise was announced in April if memory serves. I cannot recall seeing ABD pricing drop. It tends to increase.

2. Travel Agent for the discounts offered on the ABD trip itself. Airfare on my own since we fly using points and miles.

3. I have booked through ABD and I have booked on my own. It all depends on what I want to do pre and post trip and if it is more convenient to book with ABD or on my own. If I have no plans pre or post trip that are far away from the ABD hotel, I will likely book with ABD. If my pre and post days are in areas away from the hotel, I book on my own.

4. While I have been on both family itineraries and adult only itineraries I have no idea since I don't have kids. I can say that all the kids seemed to be having a great time no matter their age.

(As Disney Insiders, we booked last May 17 when the new itineraries were released.)

(We booked directly through ABD since we had booked this same trip with them in 2008. They took care of all the details.

(Rates for pre and post will be the same regardless of whether ABD or travel agent books.)

(Our family is traveling with granddaughters 18 & 16, and 10 year old grandson. The two older ones will be remaining with the adults.)

Don't worry if your questions have been asked previously! ABDers LOVE to talk about these trips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!