? about camper axle ?

ILoveDisney&Cruising

<font color=peach>DVC member since 2006 ... wish w
We had one tire on our camper that was really worn (inside of tire, left rear) ...... have had it in repair shop # 1 for over a month and they've done absolutely nothing with it (don't get me started).

They gave us every song & dance in the book - could be this, could be that, could be under-inflated tires, blah, blah, blah.

Today we removed it from their care and took it to repair shop # 2 across town. They said just by looking at it & the way it was worn, that it was most likely a bent axle.

Problem is - we leave in about a week and they don't have time to order an axle (when you factor in the holiday & 2 weekends), so are putting on one that they have in stock and is 1/2" too short. They said with only 1/4" difference on each side that it won't be a problem.

Anybody know if this is so? We'll be driving a long way and don't want problems on the road!

The camper is about 4 years old - is a bent axle 'common'? Dealer # 2 said it could have been from hitting a pothole, curb, or the like. Sure don't remember hitting one THAT hard! Or they said it could be from overloading it. (who, us?? :confused3 )

Thanks much for any input on the size thingy (that's for you, John!).

I feel so honored, thank you! The size thing would not be an issue in my opinion. As long as the tires don't rub on the inside. Which I am sure they won't with just a 1/4" difference. I had a car trailer once that bent an axle when I was backing it up really sharp, and the wheel went down in a little pothole and kinda got stuck. 50 miles later the inside of that tire had cords hanging out, and was flat as all get out.

You could have bent the axle backing into a campsite and got it caught on the edge of the pad or something. Have you ever looked at the tires when you are turning really hard, one will be angled in and one out.

JMHO hope it helps.

I would take the axle and not worry about it as long as the weight rating is the same or higher, the tires don't rub and the bolt pattern is the same. With the difference only being a 1/4" on each side I am surprised the dealer even told you. Just my 2 cents.

oops, my bad ....... I was just chatting with DH and the new axle will be 1/4" longer, not shorter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter