accessibility

acave1

Earning My Ears
hi! brand, brand new member....has anyone stayed in a wheelchair accessible room, in any DVC resort? if yes, was it actually wheelchair accessible? i.e. can a chair fit under the bathroom sink and easily through all of the living space?

thanks!!

I know my aunt did well in our two bedroom HA with roll in shower at SSR. I don’t remember the details.

At BCV we had a one bedroom that had an automatic door, and that was wonderful.

If you don’t get enough information here, maybe Disability forum will get you more answers.

:welcome:Home!

I think there are various versions of accessible rooms. Some have roll in showers, some just have really big bathrooms. Some have push button doors, some don’t.

hi! brand, brand new member....has anyone stayed in a wheelchair accessible room, in any DVC resort? if yes, was it actually wheelchair accessible? i.e. can a chair fit under the bathroom sink and easily through all of the living space?

thanks!!
We stayed in a BWV accessible GV and in an AKV Jambo accessible 1BR (club level). The GV had a roll in shower in two bathrooms and they had permanent shower seats, low light switches, a microwave on the countertop instead of above the range, lower countertops and a chair fit under the bathroom sinks and kitchen sink. The controls on the range were in the front, rather than in the back of the unit.

The 1BR was quite spacious with chair fits under both bathroom and kitchen sinks. Counters were lower. I didn’t take notice of the light switches. The bathroom had the usual grab bars but there wasn’t a roll in shower. It had a regular tub/shower combo with a removable shower wand.

So, it really isn’t consistent from one to the next.

Last edited:

I have stayed in HA rooms. There is a difference between a roll in shower room and a tub with grab bars and you have to request a roll in shower. The sink is accessible and doors are wide enough for a wheelchair. When I can't get a HA room, I book a room that has a walk in shower and bring a suction cup grab bar. You can pick one up at a big box hardware type store. I request a shower chair. Depending on the resort, make sure you don't have to walk up stairs to get to your villa.

I think there are various versions of accessible rooms. Some have roll in showers, some just have really big bathrooms. Some have push button doors, some don’t.
yeah, i noticed that some say specifically say wheelchair, some dont, different types of bathrooms, etc....a lot more options than what i'm used to seeing.

We stayed in a BWV accessible GV and in an AKV Jambo accessible 1BR (club level). The GV had a roll in shower in two bathrooms and they had permanent shower seats, low light switches, a microwave on the countertop instead of above the range, lower countertops and a chair fit under the bathroom sinks and kitchen sink. The controls on the range were in the front, rather than in the back of the unit.

The 1BR was quite spacious with chair fits under both bathroom and kitchen sinks. Counters were lower. I didn’t take notice of the light switches. The bathroom had the usual grab bars but there wasn’t a roll in shower. It had a regular tub/shower combo with a removable shower wand.

So, it really isn’t consistent from one to the next.
do you recall if the beds were lower, higher or normal height?

I know you didn't ask this, but in case it helps, I was in a wheelchair, but stayed in a regular 1 BR (fractured pelvis and ended up in a wheelchair days before my trip, in all the excitement we never thought about requesting HA). Everything worked out OK, except that reaching the microwave was a no-go. In HA units the microwave is lower.

We were in a 1 BR at OKW in October which was not a HA and I used the walk in shower with my own grab bar...I do remember that the king bed was really high for me and I had to crawl onto the ottoman to get into bed for 10 nights. In all the times we stayed, I just don't remember the bed being an issue... We stayed in a HA studio at AKL in 2018 and I didn't have an issue getting in bed so I think it must be a lower bed in a HA? Good question...

do you recall if the beds were lower, higher or normal height?

Yes, we've stayed in a few - BWV, VGF, AKV, PVB, VGC and VB. The one thing I can say about Disney and accessible rooms is that they vary and there always seems to be something with every one of them that is troublesome. However for the things you've asked about the answer is yes - the chair can fit under the bathroom sink and in general can navigate the rooms ok. It's still easier in the larger villas vs a studio but if something needs to be rearranged or even removed from a room to assist then the resort will assist with that. In general the beds are lower but not always. PVB is the one I most recall as definitely lowered. PVB also has door openers for the entry door so you don't need someone to assist. But the microwave is too high. Shower and bathroom was one of the better we've had for accessible there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!