Accessible Room WAITLIST (DVC)

I didn’t know they offered waitlists. JMHO but you require a specific type of AC room (there are many different ones), would call every single day & ask. Good luck

I have a friend that needs a handicap room I can remember him saying he was on the wait list for it I believe he got it

Tried to waitlist a Roll-In Shower room at Poly last year. Never came through, so I’m guessing that also the resort appeal has something to do with it.

Hi everyone, has anyone had a DVC waitlist for an accessible room come through?

And yet, when I say that I cannot climb stairs but don't need an accessible villa at OKW, MS and the CMs at OKW tell me that I should request a HA villa in order to be sure to get first floor. What about the people who really need one?

Hi everyone, has anyone had a DVC waitlist for an accessible room come through?

Hi, CastMember 02.

I have, but I made the request at my 11th-month eligibility date.

I know it sounds strange that at 11th-month that some of the dates in December 2020 were not available.

I stay at DVC BWV Standard Deluxe Studio with a Roll-in Shower. There are only a few of those rooms.

And since the studios are all lock-off rooms, anyone that also wanted a 1- or maybe a 2-bedroom could also request that room since it is attached to the handicap studio.

The days I was missing was one day here and there.

So I had to waitlist those unavailable days.

But I also went on the DVC Member website to check if any of those days opened up in case someone was giving up that date because they were requesting dates before their actual dates and then adding a new departing date while at the same time
adding a new departing date while at the same time deleting their arrival date.

I think they call it "walking" a reservation so they get what they want without waiting until their real arrival date.

Of course, most DVC members may normally have an arrival date before me and just happen to depart before I do making it unavailable for me.

So yes you can waitlist any of the different handicap rooms.

Two waitlisted days came through and the other three days became available online because I checked each day.

Before I started making my reservations at the 11th-month mark, my waitlist very rarely came through. So I either did a split stay at Pop Century or another available DVC Standard Deluxe Studio with a Roll-in Shower.

Good luck.

I didn’t know they offered waitlists. JMHO but you require a specific type of AC room (there are many different ones), would call every single day & ask. Good luck

Hi, keishashadow. Yes, you can and you are correct.

Just using a Standard Deluxe Studio as an example, the are some the "...many different ones.

Deluxe Studio – Standard View, Wheelchair Accessible with Roll-In Shower and Option for Hearing Accessibility
Sleeps Up to 5
Views of Boardwalk
Views of Resort Grounds or Parking Area
1 queen-size bed, 1 double-size sleeper sofa
Wheelchair-accessible route in room, grab bars for toilet and bathtub

Deluxe Studio – Standard View, Florida Special Accessible Room with Option for Hearing Accessibility
Sleeps Up to 5
1 queen-size bed, 1 queen-size sleeper sofa, 1 pull-down bunk-size bed
Grab bars for toilet, open bed frame, lower toilet height, portable raised toilet seat available

Deluxe StudioStandard View, Wheelchair Accessible With Tub and Option for Hearing Accessibility
Sleeps Up to 4
Wheelchair-accessible route in room, grab bars for toilet and bathtub

Deluxe Studio – Standard View, Hearing Accessible
Sleeps Up to 5
Views of Boardwalk

And yet, when I say that I cannot climb stairs but don't need an accessible villa at OKW, MS and the CMs at OKW tell me that I should request a HA villa in order to be sure to get first floor. What about the people who really need one?

Hi, Simba's Mom.

I don't know if you use a studio or 1-bedroom, but I was looking at Touring Plans and only found studios and 1-bedrooms with roll-in showers.

I guess OKW is so old they didn't have different types of Florida Special Accessible Rooms like the other villas.

I only found one roll-in shower studio on the first floor.
Bldg Disney's Old Key West Resort Building 13, Floor 1, SW-facing room1310, 2 Queen beds, Roll-in shower.

I found that hard to believe.

These eight OKW buildings each had two end units each on the first floor with
1 King bed, 1 pull out sofa, Roll-in shower except for 48 & 50 only had one.

OKW buildings: 20, 21, 27, 28, 34, 42, 48 & 50.

Last edited:
We have been wait listed multiple times for roll in shower/accessible units. We usually stay at OKW. Sometimes it’s the whole stay, sometimes it‘s a day or 2 here and there. It usually comes thru in the end.

To clarify and give more info on OKW.
Old Key West only has 1 bedroom, Studio and 2 bedroom units.
The 1 bedrooms and Studios are lock offs, which means there is a connecting door between them. That door can be unlocked to allow both rooms to be used together as a 2 bedroom unit. It can also be locked to use it as a separate 1 bedroom and studio.
OKW also has dedicated 2 bedrooms; they have the same general footprint as the lockoff 2 bedroom, with a second bedroom in the ‘studio’ area. The differences are a regular door between the ‘studio’ part and the living room area, no kitchenette in the ‘studio‘ area and there is only one door to enter the unit.
All studio and ‘2nd bedrooms’ have 2 queen beds.
There are also 2 accessible Grand Villas with roll in showers. Grand Villas are 2 floors and have 3 bedrooms (2 upstairs). Only the lower floor is accessible.

The touring plans listing for OKW is a bit out of date - the pictures are old and the 1 and 2 bedroom units have a king bed in the Master bedroom and a sofa bed and twin size chair pull out bed in the Living Room.

OKW has multiple types of accessible rooms. There are fully wheelchair accessible with roll in showers and fully accessible with a tub in place of the shower.
(All 1 and 2 bedroom And Grand Villas have either a soaking tub or whirlpool tub for the Master Suite as well as the shower or tub in the Master Bathroom).

Hi, Sue.

Thank you for the updated review. I have only stayed at an OKW studio just once and that is before I needed an accessible bathroom.

Touring Plans Room Finder online appears to be very out of date.

My personal experience has been at BWV studios.

I have often thought of staying at OKW again, but I need a more comfortable seating like a sofa. Unless things have changed, the OKW studios didn't have space for a sofa and just had a table with two standard chairs. I have to keep my right leg raised when sitting.

Now if I had money, I love those OKW very large one-bedrooms with a comfy sofa and chair.

Hi, Sue.

Thank you for the updated review. I have only stayed at an OKW studio just once and that is before I needed an accessible bathroom.

Touring Plans Room Finder online appears to be very out of date.

My personal experience has been at BWV studios.

I have often thought of staying at OKW again, but I need a more comfortable seating like a sofa. Unless things have changed, the OKW studios didn't have space for a sofa and just had a table with two standard chairs. I have to keep my right leg raised when sitting.

Now if I had money, I love those OKW very large one-bedrooms with a comfy sofa and chair.
OKW studios have always had 2 beds. Changing to one bed and a sofa has been brought up before, but my understanding is that because 2 beds was in the original sales offering documents, it can’t be changed.

OKW studios have always had 2 beds. Changing to one bed and a sofa has been brought up before, but my understanding is that because 2 beds was in the original sales offering documents, it can’t be changed.

Thanks, Sue. With the unusual shape of the room, that is what I thought, too.

They did a really good job with the large space in the one-bedrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter