ADR or delivery? Help me decide!

DJP1201

Mouseketeer
We're taking a red eye, and will arrive around 6:00am the next day. When we get to the airport we'll be taking ME to AKL, where we have breakfast reservations. I figure we'll eat breakfast and go to AK after. Later that night we have reservations at 5:00pm for Mama Melrose, then Star Wars dessert party. I'm considering canceling ADR at Mama Melrose. If I do cancel the ADR I will order delivery from Giordano's. I'm considering this because I'd like have the kids rest a little between AK and the dessert party. What would you do?

If the dessert party is before 9:00 pm, then I'd cancel the ADR. With less time than that, I'd still be full from dinner to really appreciate the desserts.

Have you done this before? Do you know that everyone in your group can sleep well on the plane? The day you have planned would be tiring even if it were day 2 and you had slept in your hotel room the night before.

We're taking a red eye, and will arrive around 6:00am the next day. When we get to the airport we'll be taking ME to AKL, where we have breakfast reservations. I figure we'll eat breakfast and go to AK after. Later that night we have reservations at 5:00pm for Mama Melrose, then Star Wars dessert party. I'm considering canceling ADR at Mama Melrose. If I do cancel the ADR I will order delivery from Giordano's. I'm considering this because I'd like have the kids rest a little between AK and the dessert party. What would you do?

I would definitely do the delivery or eat at AKL and make some time for a rest. We haven't done a red eye, but we've done a very early arrival, and we were all dragging by noon.

One more caution: that breakfast reservation. I assume the red eye is a direct flight, and that brings the risk down incredibly, but you're still risking missing that ADR and being charged the no-show fee. There can always be mechanical delays, weather delays, just delays that will make your flight late. I guess it depends on what type gambler you are: risk the no-show or wait until you're in the air or on the ground and make the reservation then, if available.

A lot of your plans assumes that your children are seasoned travelers and won't have a problem sleeping on the plane. That out of the way, the breakfast sounds fine and a Giordano's (sounds Italian?) delivery over eating at Mama Melrose would allow more time for bodies to get in gear for the dessert party.

My friends normally get in around 6:00am to 7:00am and use DME to get to their resort room. This year their flight was delayed by over 2 hours which meant they missed their connecting flight... then had to wait around 3 more hours for the airline to sort everything out and to get them on another flight to Orlando...and they had both of their daughters and families which means 5 grandkids... Luckily she made them bring their big strollers ( 3 double strollers) and the kids slept in them or things could have gotten ugly.

So they missed lunch at Tusker house it took a act of congress to cancel their ADR once they realized there was no way to make it... By the time they made it here...got on DME and to the resort they were so tired, they just did a pool evening to decompress and grabbed QS which every thought was so much easier than trying to make it to a ADR or head into the parks.

Thanks for the responses, they were what I needed. I've cancelled all reservations for the day we arrive. I changed the reservation for the dessert party to the next night. This will open the day up for whatever everyone is feeling up to. It will also relieve a lot of stress. I would much rather everyone be rested for the dessert party as well. Thank you everybody.

Thanks for the responses, they were what I needed. I've cancelled all reservations for the day we arrive. I changed the reservation for the dessert party to the next night. This will open the day up for whatever everyone is feeling up to. It will also relieve a lot of stress. I would much rather everyone be rested for the dessert party as well. Thank you everybody.
That's great! You can explore when you fee like exploring (great for some pool time and a nap which sounds perfect to me!) and if you do feel like you are up for it, maybe a visit to a hotel with fireworks view? Or just resort exploring sounds great to me :)

and I wouldn't do delivery really at any time, its always so stressful waiting for them and whatever time they want to show up......your resort food court would be fine for that first night, would give you a nice way to explore your own resort....

Sounds like you have your original question sorted out, but just wanted to mention that we really liked the Mara which is the QS at AKL. Typically, QS options at deluxe resorts can leave a bit to be desired, but we were pleasantly surprised with the options at the Mara. I would definitely visit there for a quick breakfast or dinner when you're ready, rather than ordering off-site or trying to make an ADR.

Cancelling sounds like a smart move. There are always available ADRs on the day of because of cancellations. Once you have landed in Orlando and see what time schedule you are on, you can probably get a breakfast ADR no problem for the time that works best with your arrival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter