Adult only trip for 40th - ideas for managing group expectations?

jaceraden

Ringleader to 3 kids in a Disney loving family
Trying an adults only trip for my 40th birthday next year.

There will be 6 of us. 2 will be Disney newbies. Several in the group can't do major rides due to neck/back issues/fear of rides.

I'm used to all out touring and being in charge of the plan for my family. Any tips/tricks for adult touring and things to check out that we would miss when travelling with young ones?

I highly recommend a night at Jellyrolls on the boardwalk. I believe the cover charge is $12/person (at least it was about a year ago) and the drink prices are steep, but there is no minimum for how many drinks you have to buy. Also, there is no food available (they will put some baskets of popcorn on the tables.)
Also, if you want to request songs, bring some cash for tipping.
You have to be 21+ to go, so that is definitely something you can't do with young ones :)

The main thing with a group, I think, is to allow for your group to have a couple of times to split up and do different things. I did one trip with the extended family (usually it is just me and DH) and I planned and planned, but all that went out the window when we got there... and was I realized is that I didn't account for the fact that it was perfectly okay for the group to break up based on different interests. So there may be some times that part of your group goes for the major thrill rides while those that would rather skip those rides take in a show or something more tame, and then you all meet back up for a cupcake or cocktails. When I let go of the idea that a group trip required 100% togetherness, we were all much happier.
:cool1:

Other ideas for adult fun:
If your birthday falls during one of the EPCOT festivals, you could eat/drink your way around the world.
Trader Sam's is a fun time with the antics and special effects.
Monorail resort restaurant/lounge progressive dinner a.k.a. drinking around the lagoon.

I'm facing a family trip in Dec. 2018 and we will have challenges trying to make everyone happy. There will be 4 generations on that trip. Fortunately, we will all stay at the same resort. Also, the dates of the trip is not a big factor. We have agreed on this part so far. We are going to choose dates based on free dining opportunities; we love that promo. There are other promotions and it may help to go at a time when you can get a deal.

Anyway, I have realized breaking up at times may be the only solution. Besides different likes and dislikes you may find some are early risers and some are not. The same is true with late nights. Some will be okay with being out late and others will not.

We will absolutely have meals all together. But even that can be a challenge. We have a vegetarian in the group, for example. We will probably do more buffet restaurants just to make it easier and hopefully there will be something to everyone's liking.

It may take some discussions to figure out how much you can be together for rides and shows. I would strongly suggest to try and be in agreement on your first, three fastpasses each day; so, you can at least be together for a few rides. Then, everyone can book their fourth fastpass and so on together or not. I think it's best to get the first three fastpasses done early. That will give you more opportunity for additional fastpasses. Pick core hours that everyone can agree to being at the park together early. This may not be rope drop or early extra magic mornings. Then, use your first, three fastpasses during those core hours.

I find it particularly hard to guide someone who has never been to Disney World. Try to provide some links; so, they can get a better understanding of it all. Provide some links for u-tube videos for rides and shows. Get the Disney World vacation DVD.

Also, I have come to realize it's harder to take a group trip. Everyone will need to compromise some to make it work.

Keep in mind everyone's pocketbook may not be the same for the trip. Make sure everyone realizes the cost of the trip especially the newbies. If you want to do extras like backstage tours or dessert parties and such make sure everyone can afford it. This includes any night time club entertainment. Alcoholic drinks are quite expensive at Disney.

If you prepare and plan properly it can be great fun going with others.

Last edited:

Definitely make sure everyone knows it's okay to split off and do your own thing! It's hard to keep everyone happy - some people want to start the morning with a boozy coffee & rides, some want to sleep in, some want to go to BOG and have breakfast...I've had a lot more fun on trips when everyone feels comfortable saying "That's not really my jam, I'm going to go do X while you do Y and I'll meet up with you for lunch/swimming/Space Mountain later!". Doing your own "pub crawls" is fun for adults - you can do this in Epcot, DHS, Disney Springs, on the monorail, etc. You can also take a midday break at the hotel pool and have drinks in your hotel room instead of paying the Disney price for drinks. :P I'd also make sure everyone is familiar with the app so they know how to look up shows, change their fastpasses, or make dining reservations without your help. That way if the group does split up you don't have someone wandering around lost & unhappy because they don't know how to find any shows or whatever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!