Adult ordering off of Child's menu at sit down restaurants?

KittyKitty

DIS Veteran
HI

As I get older, I tend not to eat as much. I have ordered child's items at counter service places, but wondered if sit downs are ok with that? Paying out of pocket.

Thanks

Aycte, prix fixe menus and buffets are all priced by age, no exceptions

aywhere else? Yes, usually
3rd party owned may be case by case, ask

i would encourage you to ho w apps at a ts meal. So much better quality and so good!

I haven't heard of anyone being able to successfully order a child's portion at a TS restaurant. And since I almost always travel solo, sharing isn't an option. Occasion;;y I'll find an appetizer I can order, but often I end up leaving a large amount on my plate. Too bad Disney restaurants didn't at least have doggie bags!

i would encourage you to order apps at a ts meal. So much better quality and so good!
This is a great suggestion. Many restaurants around WDW have great apps. And most menus have some apps that offer small portions up to larger portions. So you can order a few to fill you up and also try different flavors.

I think going forward in the short term Disney is going to be more strict on things like Adults ordering kids meals at TS locations. With reduced capacity a given, I could see them adopting a prix fixe menus at more high demand places similar to BOG. I could see Le Cellier for one going to that. The space is so small and they have always packed them in. Now with social distancing I'd guess they will have maybe 50-60% the amount of tables. They don't want a table of four coming in and ordering cheese soup and diet cokes.

My guess it will be dependent on specific restaurant and then specific server/manager. But if not too hungry the soup/salad and an app option should usually be available and not overdo smaller stomachs.

I haven't heard of anyone being able to successfully order a child's portion at a TS restaurant. And since I almost always travel solo, sharing isn't an option. Occasion;;y I'll find an appetizer I can order, but often I end up leaving a large amount on my plate. Too bad Disney restaurants didn't at least have doggie bags!

I’ve taken leftovers to go

I’ve taken leftovers to go

I have taken leftovers to go many times. Usually, when there is too much food on my plate, I leave what will travel well so I can nibble on it in the park later (think fruit, cold veggies) or don’t eat the fries and get them in a cup to go as the kids will still eat them as we walk to the next thing we do.

There have been reports that some of the third-party owned restaurants don't permit it (e.g., I've heard Via Napoli) mentioned, but it seems to be luck of the draw. As long you as you don't mind the possibility of being told "no", it doesn't hurt to ask. I will say that as a former waitress who used to be asked this question as a strict restaurant that didn't allow it, if the answer is no, go easy on your server (and still tip)--they don't set the policy.

A bit OT, as I know you are asking about ordering a kids' meal at a kids' price but some of these kid meal accommodations can be tricky. We went to Yak and Yeti recently. My teens really wanted the kids' mac and cheese. The server said she couldn't allow them to get a kids' meal as they were too old but did some kind of 'work around' for us. When we got the bill we realized we were charged $20 for each mac and cheese! $40 for two bowls of mac and cheese. One bowl cost more than my husband's adult chicken entree! I did ask for a manager to talk about it (a rarity for me) as I felt it was crazy. She was nice, but pretty much told me too bad. Live and learn...

A bit OT, as I know you are asking about ordering a kids' meal at a kids' price but some of these kid meal accommodations can be tricky. We went to Yak and Yeti recently. My teens really wanted the kids' mac and cheese. The server said she couldn't allow them to get a kids' meal as they were too old but did some kind of 'work around' for us. When we got the bill we realized we were charged $20 for each mac and cheese! $40 for two bowls of mac and cheese. One bowl cost more than my husband's adult chicken entree! I did ask for a manager to talk about it (a rarity for me) as I felt it was crazy. She was nice, but pretty much told me too bad. Live and learn...
It’s double portion for double price so kids meal must have been $10,they are usually pretty clear about how this works.

We've done it once at The Plaza during lunch, but that may have just been luck. It's not something we do regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!