Adults wearing masks at MNSSHP = not allowed at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
I’ve read the MNSSHP FAQ, and it seems pretty clear-cut: “For guests age 14 and older...masks of any kind may not be worn.”

I 100% understand and agree with the reasoning behind that rule. However, I just wanted to check in here and see if that rule operated any differently in practice.

So, for example, if my 16-year old son shows up to a MNSSHP dressed up as Boba Fett or Kylo Ren, are there any circumstances or locations where he’d be allowed to wear the helmet? Would he be allowed entry if he took off the helmet? Or would be refused entry unless he went back to our hotel and left the helmet there (i.e., you can’t even carry a helmet in your hand)?

Again, I have no problem with the rule. I’m just trying to define its parameters.

Thanks much.

I would think he would not be allowed. The helmet covers the entire face and that is a no-no for safety reasons. He would most likely not be allowed to even carry it, as Cast members cannot be sure he would not just put it on once he left the entrance.

I can't comment on whether or not he would be allowed in with it, but I do think if he's not allowed to take it in, they will keep it at Guest Services and he would be allowed to pick it up after the party. I don't think you would have to go all the way back to your hotel. When we took my DS's GF for the first time, she didn't know that selfie sticks weren't allowed. When she went through bag check, they just had her take it to Guest Services and they held it there for her.

I'd probably say a no-go on it too. I'd switch to a different character or just do Kylo Ren without his mask.

This is from the WDW Website:
Dressing for Special Events

Please note these specific costume guidelines for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

While we encourage creativity, we also value safety and good judgment. If you’re planning to attend these special events, take a moment to read over our latest rules and regulations:

General

• Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that is considered inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests.
  • All Guests may dress as their favorite character, but may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests.
  • Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
  • Costumes may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
  • Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest.
  • Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from, unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards.
For Guests ages 13 and under:

• Costumes and some masks may be worn, as long as the mask does not cover the entire face and eyes are visible.
For Guests ages 14 and older:

• Layered costumes or costume props that surround the entire body are strongly discouraged and may be subject to additional security screening.
  • Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground. (e.g.,full-length Princess dresses)
  • Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
  • Themed T-shirts, blouses, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
  • Acceptable accessories include: transparent wings, plastic light sabers, toy swords, and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
  • Masks of any kind may not be worn.

Just curious and I think I know but what is the reason for this rule?

I’m just guessing, but I think the reasoning is three-fold, and it all ties back to liability on Disney’s part:

1.) Safety of the wearer - a mask might obscure vision, meaning (s)he might trip on a curb or run into a pole or something, or otherwise compromise their own physical safety.

2.) Safety of others - a mask-wearer who can’t see very well might be banging into people all night, or they might try to wear the mask on a ride, where it could fly off and hit someone.

3.) Thwart ill-intentioned guests - whether it’s low-level mischief or something much more scary and disturbing, Disney does not want someone to use a mask to make themselves unidentifiable to security cameras, security officers or eyewitnesses.

I will also point out that this isn't really an odd rule. I know the children's museum I used to work at had the same rule against anyone over the age of 14 could not wear a mask inside the museum. We were very strict on that rule and actually had to request a guest leave when they refused to listen (they were told when they entered they would not be allowed to wear the mask and as soon as they were out of eyesight (or so they thought), they put it back on. They then argued with security and were asked to leave.).

I’m just guessing, but I think the reasoning is three-fold, and it all ties back to liability on Disney’s part:

1.) Safety of the wearer - a mask might obscure vision, meaning (s)he might trip on a curb or run into a pole or something, or otherwise compromise their own physical safety.

2.) Safety of others - a mask-wearer who can’t see very well might be banging into people all night, or they might try to wear the mask on a ride, where it could fly off and hit someone.

3.) Thwart ill-intentioned guests - whether it’s low-level mischief or something much more scary and disturbing, Disney does not want someone to use a mask to make themselves unidentifiable to security cameras, security officers or eyewitnesses.

Pretty much what I was thinking too.

I saw a guy dressed as Jafar the afternoon of a MNSSHP. He was carrying a tall cobra stick. It was plastic, but I was thinking it could make one heck of a weapon in the wrong hands. I was a little surprised that it was allowed, but I see that it wasn’t breaking any of the posted rules.

I saw a guy dressed as Jafar the afternoon of a MNSSHP. He was carrying a tall cobra stick. It was plastic, but I was thinking it could make one heck of a weapon in the wrong hands. I was a little surprised that it was allowed, but I see that it wasn’t breaking any of the posted rules.

Well, someone could walk in on any given day with a wood or metal cane and suddenly start swinging it at people’s heads. Where do you draw the line?

Well, someone could walk in on any given day with a wood or metal cane and suddenly start swinging it at people’s heads. Where do you draw the line?

That’s a good point, but I guess someone with a walking aid has it because he needs it. Whereas this stick was only a prop, and the guy carrying it looked like he was in great shape.

No matter. Reading the list, it appears to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter