After almost 20 years at my job...

michellelovesthemous

DIS Veteran
....it was decided I wasn’t meeting their sales goals so now it’s time to say goodbye....let us walk you out....... Disneyworld is late summer that certainly can’t come soon enough. Gonna take some time get my life sorted out and freak about the cost of cobra medical insurance. :angel:

No advance notice ( like previous performance reviews, corrective actions, anything that indicated this might be coming)? If the answer is no, did this impact anyone else? I ask all these questions to see if you may have been discriminated against.

I've been through a similar situation, and learned that when one door closes, another opens. Keep your chin up!

I had a feeling it was coming but it’s still shocking because of my seniority I did a lot of lengthy interactions that had nothing to do with the goals and it became a struggle the last year or so to meet them all. The last few reviews stung.

Sorry to hear that...

File for unemployment immediately, brush up your resume, and don't be afraid to reach out to staffing agencies for help finding your next job. Many times, they charge the hiring company for their services, not the job seeker.

This happened to my girlfriend. I wish your seniority and dedication to the company came to mind but with management they only look at numbers unfortunately. I’m so sorry

No advance notice ( like previous performance reviews, corrective actions, anything that indicated this might be coming)? If the answer is no, did this impact anyone else? I ask all these questions to see if you may have been discriminated against.

I've been through a similar situation, and learned that when one door closes, another opens. Keep your chin up!
The OP appears to live in an At-Will state. Unless they feel the were discriminated against on the basis of a protective class it wouldn't be considered legally descrimination.

That does not however stop the OP from filing from Unemployment on the grounds of being let go unfairly in their opinion. If they were not on any sort of action plan that would strengthen their case. However, given the OP mentioned the last few reviews stung that may go against their approval of unemployment. I would still recommend the OP start the unemployment process to get the ball rolling.

Sorry OP for the bad news :( :(

This happened to my girlfriend. I wish your seniority and dedication to the company came to mind but with management they only look at numbers unfortunately. I’m so sorry
Sometimes what happens is the employee was allowed to stay at the company longer than they should have. Sometimes they've been at the company for a long time but transitioned from role to role to role. While the length of time at a company may be very important to the employee to the employer sometimes it just won't matter if performance is below expectations (don't know the OP's situation so I'm not speaking directly at them).

On the other hand I do know that sometimes it happens when an employee gets close to retirement age and can collect pensions, etc companies can push those people out to avoid paying. If in an At-Will state and that happened I would for sure suggest the person file for unemployment.

Yup we’re a at will state. They said I was fantastic in all areas but sales. Well Walt Disney did say that “...you may not realize it but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you...” I guess this was my kick!?:cool1:

I’m sorry, that hurts in all areas. File for unemployment, try not to let it get you down. You are employable, and will get a job!

Just Around the River Bend, my fate lives within me and I only have to be Brave enough to see it if I Let it Go and Keep Moving Forward. (My New Future In Four Disney Movies:D)

I'm sorry that this happened to you. This also happened to my dad and he was nearing retirement with just over 20 years under his belt. A big thing I've told him that aside from getting the basics covered (new resume, LinkedIn, COBRA, etc) is that he should build out some new routines. The ones he had before can be shifted around but keeping a schedule might help you through.

Another thing, which is sorta timely, I've been reading this book "What Color is Your Parachute? 2019" and I actually just recommended it to him today. I think you might also get some value also out of it.

I wish you the best of luck and that your trip brings you lots of joy.

It's just a shame that it took 20 years before "realizing" that you aren't cutting it with sales. Best wishes as you figure out your next step.

New to the forum and realize the date on the last post was nearly a year ago. With Corona Virus crushing so many job opportunities and small businesses having to close, A lot of us are in your same shoes. Our marketing agency does the marketing for a Disney ticket site named Get Away Today vacations. With the parks closed, our blitz approach to Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Ads, and Influencer Marketing are all on pause. I'm trying not to panic as we employ 11 people:( Just praying that the nasty Covid-19 virus goes away fast so the suffering can stop. Businesses are one thing... Someone losing a loved one is a million times worse! God bless all of you and your families!!! I hope your all safe, stocked with supplies, and financially stable to handle the fall when it ramps back up again! Our team was going crazy doing nothing so we started getting masks from our sources in China and donating them to the hospital. It didn't take long for the pricing to nearly quadruple making it impossible for us to keep donating free masks:/ It just feels like sometimes everything is stacked up against us! Anyways sorry for a soapbox post. Just really looking forward to talking Disney with everyone because I'm going nuts!!!!

New to the forum and realize the date on the last post was nearly a year ago. With Corona Virus crushing so many job opportunities and small businesses having to close, A lot of us are in your same shoes. Our marketing agency does the marketing for a Disney ticket site named Get Away Today vacations. With the parks closed, our blitz approach to Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Ads, and Influencer Marketing are all on pause. I'm trying not to panic as we employ 11 people:( Just praying that the nasty Covid-19 virus goes away fast so the suffering can stop. Businesses are one thing... Someone losing a loved one is a million times worse! God bless all of you and your families!!! I hope your all safe, stocked with supplies, and financially stable to handle the fall when it ramps back up again! Our team was going crazy doing nothing so we started getting masks from our sources in China and donating them to the hospital. It didn't take long for the pricing to nearly quadruple making it impossible for us to keep donating free masks:/ It just feels like sometimes everything is stacked up against us! Anyways sorry for a soapbox post. Just really looking forward to talking Disney with everyone because I'm going nuts!!!!
Welcome to the DIS! You're in the right place if you want to talk Disney, that's for sure! So sorry to hear about all the stress and what you are going through. GAT is a big favorite on this board and others. We're doing our best here to just keep swimming and help each other through this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!