Ages of your kids for Stroller use?

What Age do people stop taking a stroller for their children?

• Total voters
Our last trip my kids were almost 2 and 4. We brought a double but my son walked a lot

We're going back with kids 2, 4, 7 and 10. We are planning on bringing a double again for the younger two however I wouldn't be shocked if I have to shoo my 10 year old out of it at times and my 7 year old will probably be in it at the end of the night. We don't visit Disney a lot and the days are going to be long. I wouldn't bring a stroller just for them but if we have it I don't think it's going to scar them if they get a short break in it. I don't think I can push my oldest but I can see him sitting in it while we're stopped. He'll also probably end up helping to push it too.

I have to say that barring medical issues, I don't understand it when parents say that their 5 or 6 year old could run circles around them. Sorry, but when my kids were 5 or 6, no way on earth could they outlast me. Even now at 15, 12, 12 they'd probably struggle...and they're all athletes. I don't think a little child, or even a pre-teen, should have more stamina than a sub 50 year old parent. So I don't see a big deal with using a stroller at an "older" age for Disney, and I'm glad we did.

I have to say that barring medical issues, I don't understand it when parents say that their 5 or 6 year old could run circles around them. Sorry, but when my kids were 5 or 6, no way on earth could they outlast me. Even now at 15, 12, 12 they'd probably struggle...and they're all athletes. I don't think a little child, or even a pre-teen, should have more stamina than a sub 50 year old parent. So I don't see a big deal with using a stroller at an "older" age for Disney, and I'm glad we did.

There are scientific studies that say the average 9 to 11 year old boy has the same or greater energy levels than trained athletes. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...levels-greater-endurance-athletes-scientists/

So I don’t think the posters saying that are exaggerating.

I do think ten is a bit to old for a healthy capable 10 year old, but I wouldn't judge someone if they had a stroller for their older child. They are convenient, they cut down on the where is my kid stress in crowds, they keep everyone moving at the same pace when their are kiddo distractions left and right. It's a preference and it's really none of my business. Some kids are strong and robust. They can out pace the family on sugar power alone. Some kids need a bit of break to keep going. No big deal. You do your family the way that works for you.

I'm not saying the article cited isn't accurate, and I'm far from a doctor who can completely critically assess the results, but the testing they did was for short bursts of energy and recovery from that, sprinting etc. Which is significantly different than slogging on for 10 hrs at a clip walking 10 miles.

We were originally going to bring a sit and stand we had from teh last 2 trips on this one, for my 3 yr old and 9 month old. We used it when my oldest was 5 and 6 and the youngest was a 7 months and 1.5 year. Decided to opt for a double, I bought a City Mini Select on craigslist. I think the 3 year old is still going to need a real stroller at times and the baby is going to need more recline.

Plus im hoping, the double is easier to manage, the Joovy sit and stand was a beast in size on the bus and the fact that it didn't really lock closed was a huge pain.

Our last trip my kids were almost 2 and 4. We brought a double but my son walked a lot

We're going back with kids 2, 4, 7 and 10. We are planning on bringing a double again for the younger two however I wouldn't be shocked if I have to shoo my 10 year old out of it at times and my 7 year old will probably be in it at the end of the night. We don't visit Disney a lot and the days are going to be long. I wouldn't bring a stroller just for them but if we have it I don't think it's going to scar them if they get a short break in it. I don't think I can push my oldest but I can see him sitting in it while we're stopped. He'll also probably end up helping to push it too.

This what happened with our trip with a 2,3,4,7,10,14. We had a double and single. There were times the 7 and 10 SAT in the double, no movement...think as portable bench. But I'm sure if we had being willing to push them around, they would have loved it. The 7 year old was dissappointed that we weren't bringing the sit and stand like we did when he was 5.

I'm not saying the article cited isn't accurate, and I'm far from a doctor who can completely critically assess the results, but the testing they did was for short bursts of energy and recovery from that, sprinting etc. Which is significantly different than slogging on for 10 hrs at a clip walking 10 miles.

Yep, that study is absolute apples and oranges when comparing a week long trip (or longer) at WDW. Besides, I'd bet if I found the time I to look, there's probably research to show that a well conditioned adult would "last longer" than a 10 year old in WDW type conditions. For a WDW trip, IMO it should be the kids who would wear out a lot faster than the parents. That's not to say I don't wear down on a WDW trip. I do, without a doubt if we overdo it. But my kids, and any kid, would wear out before I do.

Yep, that study is absolute apples and oranges when comparing a week long trip (or longer) at WDW. Besides, I'd bet if I found the time I to look, there's probably research to show that a well conditioned adult would "last longer" than a 10 year old in WDW type conditions. For a WDW trip, IMO it should be the kids who would wear out a lot faster than the parents. That's not to say I don't wear down on a WDW trip. I do, without a doubt if we overdo it. But my kids, and any kid, would wear out before I do.

And yet, millions of kids that age have been able to walk all week for their vacation. Healthy kids have plenty of energy. Just think of what they do to "relax". If you go back to your room to "rest" mid day, the kids don't want to lay down, they want to go swimming which is more physical activity. Pushing a kid that age in a stroller has zero to do with the kids and is 100% the mentality of the parent. Even the parents that post on here saying why they put their 8-9yo in a stroller was because they did not want to match the pace of shorter legs. That's fine if a parent wants to put their older kid in a stroller. But own up to it. Don't lie to yourself and everyone else that it is for the child's benefit. It is because the parent wants to tour at a pace that they did before they had kids. Let's not put this on the child. If they are healthy, well fed, well rested(as they should be) then they will not have any issues.

Pushing a kid that age in a stroller has zero to do with the kids and is 100% the mentality of the parent. Even the parents that post on here saying why they put their 8-9yo in a stroller was because they did not want to match the pace of shorter legs. That's fine if a parent wants to put their older kid in a stroller. But own up to it. Don't lie to yourself and everyone else that it is for the child's benefit. It is because the parent wants to tour at a pace that they did before they had kids. Let's not put this on the child. If they are healthy, well fed, well rested(as they should be) then they will not have any issues.

Hmmm...I'm one of the parents that posted on here saying why I put our 8 or 9 year olds in a stroller. You can think I'm lying to myself or to anyone else, don't care. Fact of the matter was that it had everything to do with the kids and nothing to do with the parents. DW and I had far more stamina than the kids at that age and we simply didn't want them wearing out on a long trip. It's just fact. You're welcome to any opinion you'd like, but I can tell you that at least as far as our family goes it's an indisputably incorrect "opinion" that you have.

When I first took my daughter to WDW several years ago, she was 3.5 years. I didn't bring a stroller because it would have been too much of a pain since we are minimalists when we travel. I had no issues with her walking the park with me. Of course, when she was tired, we left the park to rest so I wouldn't have to carry her...

Hmmm...I'm one of the parents that posted on here saying why I put our 8 or 9 year olds in a stroller. You can think I'm lying to myself or to anyone else, don't care. Fact of the matter was that it had everything to do with the kids and nothing to do with the parents. DW and I had far more stamina than the kids at that age and we simply didn't want them wearing out on a long trip. It's just fact. You're welcome to any opinion you'd like, but I can tell you that at least as far as our family goes it's an indisputably incorrect "opinion" that you have.

Don't you think that there is another option then putting them in the stroller? Like taking more breaks, slowing down your walking pace to match those of shorter legs, not setting the alarm and waking everyone up early, having some half days to swim at the resort? There are plenty of things that a parent can do to keep from wearing out their kids on a WDW vacation. And even just taking a few extra sit down breaks during the day makes all of the difference. Kids can have the stamina to make it through the day, IF the pace is set to their level. Just like if you had grandma with you, you would not rush her just to be able to do 1 or 2 extra rides in a day. Everyone has their limit, but for the most part, kids are just fine touring at a normal pace. Kids have self awareness at the age and I don't know any 9yo that would not be self conscious being pushed in a stroller. And telling a 9 yo that they have to sit in a stroller because they are slowing you down is unfathomable to me.

Don't you think that there is another option then putting them in the stroller? Like taking more breaks, slowing down your walking pace to match those of shorter legs, not setting the alarm and waking everyone up early, having some half days to swim at the resort? There are plenty of things that a parent can do to keep from wearing out their kids on a WDW vacation. And even just taking a few extra sit down breaks during the day makes all of the difference. Kids can have the stamina to make it through the day, IF the pace is set to their level. Just like if you had grandma with you, you would not rush her just to be able to do 1 or 2 extra rides in a day. Everyone has their limit, but for the most part, kids are just fine touring at a normal pace. Kids have self awareness at the age and I don't know any 9yo that would not be self conscious being pushed in a stroller. And telling a 9 yo that they have to sit in a stroller because they are slowing you down is unfathomable to me.

Putting a child on a leash is unfathomable to me, that's literally what you should do to a dog, not a human child, but plenty of parents do it. Besides, we never told the kids they "had to", they were all too happy to have a taxi. :D Sure, there are a million ways to do WDW, and you're making a lot of assumptions...that alarm clocks are set, fast walking pace, etc... None of those were the case for us. We haven't rope dropped in years (it's a total waste of time, IMO) and we don't walk exceptionally fast. We also don't do full days, but our summer trips were over 2 weeks long. This was purely a decision we made in the best interest of our kids. Since DW and I are exercise nuts anyway, and we wanted to keep the kids from wearing down, we made the decision to offer the stroller rides to the kids. It worked fabulous for us. It was really a win/win for our family. They got to see more of WDW and do more without getting tired and cranky, and we got to keep up with exercise. If that's a bother to you, not sure what to tell 'ya.

I think the poll ages are too old- my kids are 8 and 9 right now and there's no way I'd even consider getting them a stroller. A healthy 10 year is capable of walking and keeping up at WDW. Our cut off age was 4- after 4 my kids had no desire to ride in a stroller and we had no desire to push them.

That being said, I'm not a park Nazi- we usually get to the park early, take a midday break, then back to the parks until closing. The midday break is amazing for everyone in our family- rest/nap/swim.

We stopped using the stroller when my youngest turned 4 and my oldest was just about to turn 6. Rented one that trip and lugged it around the first 2 days then left it in the room the rest of the day. My kids have no issues doing 7 to 10 miles of walking a day and don't complain a single bit.

Good shoes, mid day breaks, a mix of attractions (sprinkle in the sit down shows throughout the day like Country Bears and Tiki Room), and we're fine.

My three daughters were each walking the parks by the time they were four. I realize this won’t work for everyone, but it worked for us. I think a ten year old might be uncomfortable in a stroller (depending on his size) based on the size restrictions Disney put into place last year.

Once the kids are done potty training and needing stroller naps, I don't personally see the need for a stroller.

Our last trip, DD was 7 and DS was almost 2. We had a single stroller for DS who really was only ever in it for naps and leaving the park at night. Otherwise, it was parked in stroller parking most of the day or wheeled empty to the next area. DD never once asked to sit in it, never needed carried, and would have still been happy to tour the parks for a few more hours had they stayed open later. She's not athletic in any sense and complains walking the grocery store, but she was having so much fun at Disney that she didn't want to stop. Sure, her feet were sore at the end of the night, but she was still the one high tailing it to one last ride 2 mins before park close or persuading us to park hop to MK for EMH after Epcot closed, despite it already being 10 pm. We don't hit rope drop, but we get to the parks around 10:30 or so and stay until after close, taking in EMH when available. We alternated park days with water park days/ Disney Springs nights where we again were out of the hotel by 10am not returning until at least 10pm and those non-theme park days we didn't bring a stroller at all. DH and I are both Marines and were 27 and 29 at the time and DD had no problem handling the pace of the trip. DS did fine without the stroller every other day and walking a good bit of the time still on our park days. We were there for 13 days as well, so not a short trip.

None of the ages listed in the poll.

Not going to discuss my age (LOL!) but lets just say the man and I take grandchildren to WDW. A day off from the parks is a good recommendation for us as well. I'd be fine rope dropping from time to time but nobody else is interested so it's rare that happens. At this point our average summer trip is a bit over a week with the December holidays coming in at about 2 weeks. When we get tired we find a sit down restaurant or plop into a seat at theater attractions. Nothing wrong with sitting outdoors and gather our thoughts or people watch either.

We generally enter the parks around 11:00 AM and leave around 5:00 PM to prepare for dinner, frequently at DS. Sometimes we return later in the evening to watch fireworks, wander the resort, etc.

We are used to walking, as we live in a metropolitan area that discourages car use. Never had a child with us who went into the "whines" due to over-walking/overly tired and thank goodness for that. The way I see it, their legs are newer than ours, they are fortunate to be in good health (as are we) so lets enjoy ourselves in moderation.

Last edited:
Look — everyone’s different. My Disney motto is You Do You. You do whatever works best for you and your family. As long as it’s not hurting anyone — it’s none of my business. For my family, this year we will be bringing our single city mini for my 3 year old daughter. My 8 year old daughter will be walking. I have no interest in pushing her and she has zero interest in riding in one. The last time she truly rode in a stroller was the year she was six — and even then that was really only if we were in a rush or at the end of the day. We mainly used it for our bags and such. So I personally can’t imagine pushing a 10 year old in one — but hey, you do you 😉

Look — everyone’s different. My Disney motto is You Do You. You do whatever works best for you and your family. As long as it’s not hurting anyone — it’s none of my business. For my family, this year we will be bringing our single city mini for my 3 year old daughter. My 8 year old daughter will be walking. I have no interest in pushing her and she has zero interest in riding in one. The last time she truly rode in a stroller was the year she was six — and even then that was really only if we were in a rush or at the end of the day. We mainly used it for our bags and such. So I personally can’t imagine pushing a 10 year old in one — but hey, you do you 😉
“You do you” doesn’t really apply here since OP isn’t talking about her own kids, but instead trying to convince friends that their 10 year old needs a stroller.

“You do you” doesn’t really apply here since OP isn’t talking about her own kids, but instead trying to convince friends that their 10 year old needs a stroller.

You’re right — that’s not what I meant though. I meant that the friend should do whatever they feel is best for their 10 year old. If they want to bring a stroller and feel it’s necessary, good for them. I would imagine that regardless of what the original poster says, that the friend is capable of making his or her own decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!