AHS: cult

It started off so well. Finally had that "creepy" vibe.

Then it went off the rails.

Cult never even started on the track.

Looking back, really only season 1 was great. Season 2 had its moments, then all the rest really just fell terribly short, culminating on this latest one's extreme terribleness.

And still I'll watch at least one episode of the next one....

There were a couple episodes of Cult that I thought OK, this is going to be good, but then with each episode after it lost me.
Of course what do I know, I actually like Hotel. I could have done without all the sex and gore, but I really liked the characters themselves in that one.

I will agree, the first episode of Roanake was great, super creepy. Then it all went downhill, fast. Too much sex for no reason at all (typical Murphy) and a total waste of Gaga. Not even sure why he brought her back for that season.
I liked some of Hotel, it wasn't up to season one or two, and again had too much sex for no reason. But it did have one of my favorite characters ever, Liz Taylor. Loved that part of the storyline.

This was the first season that didn't have some type of supernatural element, and that disappointed me also. Not that it would have helped.

I think the only "supernatural" element was the Charles Manson character haunting him. But you're right, they should stick with the supernatural and scary elements and get away from this gore fest of the past two seasons.

I know many didn't, but I did like Hotel and Freakshow. It's just gone downhill since Coven -- with Roanoke and now this being the two worst yet (for me)! I can put up with gore and sex nonsense when there is a storyline and an endgame.

I think the only "supernatural" element was the Charles Manson character haunting him. But you're right, they should stick with the supernatural and scary elements and get away from this gore fest of the past two seasons.
And I only saw that as a delusion, not really a haunting.
Every season we hope it's better, and every season it's not, so my hope for next season is pretty much gone at this point LOL.

This was the first season that didn't have some type of supernatural element, and that disappointed me also. Not that it would have helped.

What was the supernatural element in Freak Show? I could be totally forgetting it but I don’t recall one.

What was the supernatural element in Freak Show? I could be totally forgetting it but I don’t recall one.
The storyline with the guy, forget his name, but he was played by Wes Bentley, who came back once a year from the dead. He took Twisty with him, and that's when we got to see Twisty take off his mask.

The storyline with the guy, forget his name, but he was played by Wes Bentley, who came back once a year from the dead. He took Twisty with him, and that's when we got to see Twisty take off his mask.
Something like Edward Mongrave or Morgrave. He took Elsa Mars too.

Riiiiight. As I suspected, I totally forgot about him. Mordrake. He was in Hotel too, or at least mentioned.

Considering the material they had for this season --- it was so disappointing to see what they came up with.

For myself, in most of the past seasons there was usually at least a character or 2 that at the end of the season you could see as identifiable (if not honourable or decent --- or at the very least reasonable.) Where this story has no one who is good or honest or displaying basic human characteristics --- how can an audience care about any of the characters. Had Ozzie been the only one standing at the end of the season that would have been fine by me ... Everyone was horrible and to some extent were really lousy human beings --- so having watched the finale the season was fundamentally flawed. I think they need to go back a bit and concentrate on the storytelling rather than trying to do shock and awe. There were ways to make it topical without making it superficial.

Last edited:
Considering the material they had for this season --- it was so disappointing to see what they came up with.

For myself, in most of the past seasons there was usually at least a character or 2 that at the end of the season you could see as identifiable (if not honourable or decent --- or at the very least reasonable.) Where this story has no one who is good or honest or displaying basic human characteristics --- how can an audience care about any of the characters. Had Ozzie been the only one standing at the end of the season that would have been fine by me ... Everyone was horrible and to some extent were really lousy human beings --- so having watched the finale the season was fundamentally flawed. I think they need to go back a bit and concentrate on the storytelling rather than trying to do shock and awe. There were ways to make it topical without making it superficial.

And Ryan Murphy needs to keep his personal views and agenda out of the storytelling!

And Ryan Murphy needs to keep his personal views and agenda out of the storytelling!
I don't think he could support another season of political "horror", so hopefully next up we get something like the haunted cruise ship a PP mentioned.

I don't think he could support another season of political "horror", so hopefully next up we get something like the haunted cruise ship a PP mentioned.

yeah that was me -- I had read last year about this idea, but then I think the outcome of the election changed his mind. [LOVE your avatar, btw]

yeah that was me -- I had read last year about this idea, but then I think the outcome of the election changed his mind. [LOVE your avatar, btw]
Oops, sorry for not remembering.
LOL, this sounds to me like Hotel on Water...
I know a lot of people really didn't like Hotel, but I found Liz Taylor, Iris, and March/Hazel to be a really fun storyline. The whole side story about Alex becoming a vampire and making all the kids sick was so stupid. If we could get more "tragic figure/interesting backstory that's horrifying" dynamics on a cruise ship I would 100% be in. Or we could get something terrible like that movie Ghost Ship.
Also I really enjoyed the serial killer dinner in Hotel, but then found the Manson stuff super tiring this season.

I know a lot of people really didn't like Hotel, but I found Liz Taylor, Iris, and March/Hazel to be a really fun storyline. The whole side story about Alex becoming a vampire and making all the kids sick was so stupid. If we could get more "tragic figure/interesting backstory that's horrifying" dynamics on a cruise ship I would 100% be in. Or we could get something terrible like that movie Ghost Ship.
Also I really enjoyed the serial killer dinner in Hotel, but then found the Manson stuff super tiring this season.
I didn't mind Hotel. I didn't love it, and parts of it I downright hated, but as I posted earlier, Liz Taylor is one of my all time fave AHS characters!! It was way better than Coven or Roanoke, but hopefully if he does the cruise ship idea he does it better. I couldn't stand Evan in that season either. Didn't mind his character that much, but couldn't stand the way he portrayed him. Yep, I think my Evan love is definitely gone LOL.

I didn't mind Hotel. I didn't love it, and parts of it I downright hated, but as I posted earlier, Liz Taylor is one of my all time fave AHS characters!! It was way better than Coven or Roanoke, but hopefully if he does the cruise ship idea he does it better. I couldn't stand Evan in that season either. Didn't mind his character that much, but couldn't stand the way he portrayed him. Yep, I think my Evan love is definitely gone LOL.
Yeah if nothing else, this season made me find Evan repulsive. Which I guess means they did SOMETHING right.

I didn't really like this season....just mediocre.
I did like Roanoke. Like Hotel....could have done with less sex scenes.
Favorite is still the first one.

I didn't really like this season....just mediocre.
I did like Roanoke. Like Hotel....could have done with less sex scenes.
Favorite is still the first one.
I liked actually liked Roanoke too. At least they tried to do something different and did turn those "true ghost story" shows on their head.

UGH -- Ghost Ship was an awful movie. I liked hotel better than Coven (just didn't like the torture/dismembering, etc. done by Kathy Bates character), but gotta say since so few of his regulars returned to this season, maybe they played it smart!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!