Air conditioning died....portable air unit ?

Hubby talked to2nd air guy and he found the part but he can’t make it til Thursday. He needs to check unit to make sure that’s what’s needed ( 1st company air guy said it was the motor). Once he verify it then he will I’ll order. Not sure how long it will take to get the part and air company is closed on the weekend. Looks like maybe nextweek. I asked dj how much is the motor and he was told depending on what parts are needed and could cost up to $1000. If it is that much dh is going to ask how much to change out the furnace part go see the price difference.

Oh gosh good luck!! I feel for you.
Finding this thread too late but we use portables at my parents house and they are fine and in college I needed to use the Casement Airconditioner for my window that opened to the side. It was expensive!!

Oh gosh good luck!! I feel for you.
Finding this thread too late but we use portables at my parents house and they are fine and in college I needed to use the Casement Airconditioner for my window that opened to the side. It was expensive!!
Thank you. Hubbys friend let us borrow his portable unit and its perfect for our den where we spend most of our time. It works good! We tried it in the evening so hopefully during 12-5pm it works just as good :)

Hubby called the place where we bought our unit and they even aid for the type of motor we are looking for we might have to call the manufacture. We've had our unit for 11 years

So very sorry central air should last a lot longer than that. I’m guessing you didn’t get a trane.

Whats a trane?

Trane is a brand of A/C, like Carrier, etc.

Our A/C unit is technically 20 years old, although it died at 9 years, 11 months and 3 days into a 10 year warranty, so it got refurbed for free back then. Unfortunately for us, it finally died (again) after getting bandaid fixes twice since the end of May. We're looking for a new unit at the moment, but we've been just getting by without the A/C. We lucked out and were in southern CA the week we had a heatwave here in PA.

Whats a trane?
What brand a/c do you have? If it is an off brand I can see parts being a little harder to find. But there are universal parts that fit a variety of brands, especially when it comes to motors.
I have a 27 year old Trane and I had a motor go out. I use a small HVAC company and they keep the universal parts of their trucks. The universal part had a longer shaft on it that I needed. The tech just measured the old part, but the shaft on the new motor to that length, and put it in.

The best central air unit. Yes you pay a little more but worth the extra cost. When I got mine 23 years ago it was about 500 dollars more than a carrier.
When I replaced my system in 1991, I got a bid from a Carrier dealer, and he later called back with a bid on a Trane system. He felt the systems were comparable, the difference being the Trane was on sale for $500 less, and they were throwing in a 10 year warranty. Only thing is, since he was not a Trane dealer, I had to give him a check made out to Trane to pay for the unit, and warranty work had to be done by an authored Trane dealer.

Trane is a brand of A/C, like Carrier, etc.

Our A/C unit is technically 20 years old, although it died at 9 years, 11 months and 3 days into a 10 year warranty, so it got refurbed for free back then. Unfortunately for us, it finally died (again) after getting bandaid fixes twice since the end of May. We're looking for a new unit at the moment, but we've been just getting by without the A/C. We lucked out and were in southern CA the week we had a heatwave here in PA.
ours is called air ease. The outside unit is fine the part is in the inside of our house
What brand a/c do you have? If it is an off brand I can see parts being a little harder to find. But there are universal parts that fit a variety of brands, especially when it comes to motors.
I have a 27 year old Trane and I had a motor go out. I use a small HVAC company and they keep the universal parts of their trucks. The universal part had a longer shaft on it that I needed. The tech just measured the old part, but the shaft on the new motor to that length, and put it in.
Our neighbor was in the business and he did it as a side job for us. We got a good deal and he was a reliable guy but they moved away a few years ago.

btw- its a variable speed motor on a 95 efficiency furnace.
We live in So cal and we use our air all the time in the summer and we use it through out the year

ours is called air ease. The outside unit is fine the part is in the inside of our house

Our neighbor was in the business and he did it as a side job for us. We got a good deal and he was a reliable guy but they moved away a few years ago.

btw- its a variable speed motor on a 95 efficiency furnace.
We live in So cal and we use our air all the time in the summer and we use it through out the year

Well, I've never heard of Air Ease but they have dealers here in Sacramento. But they seem to have some pretty low ratings, a lot focused on honoring warranty claims and customers having a hard time getting parts. Apparently they don't cover labor if a part fails under warranty, only the part. Yikes.

Well, I've never heard of Air Ease but they have dealers here in Sacramento. But they seem to have some pretty low ratings, a lot focused on honoring warranty claims and customers having a hard time getting parts. Apparently they don't cover labor if a part fails under warranty, only the part. Yikes.
hopefully gets us a few more years. Hubby said air guy said if it goes out its best to replace the outside unit and the inside to match. My husband mentioned Lennox brand. I guess company has lennox brand. I dunno what others they have. air Company has been in business for many years and good reputation. Its a family business in our area so if we do have to get a new system we should be good and have warranty

hopefully gets us a few more years. Hubby said air guy said if it goes out its best to replace the outside unit and the inside to match. My husband mentioned Lennox brand. I guess company has lennox brand. I dunno what others they have. air Company has been in business for many years and good reputation. Its a family business in our area so if we do have to get a new system we should be good and have warranty
The warranty comes from the maker of the unit, not the installer. The complaints about Air Ease on the web are the lack of a labor warranty, just parts.

Air guy is coming today. Please pray it gets fixed and there’s no other issues and pray it doesn't break the bank :).

Another update- window for them to come was 12-3. Hubby just got a call that they are stuck in a job and running late. They said it’s more like 5-6pm if we were ok with that. Dh said yes.

At this point , I don’t care if they come at 10pm as long as it gets done- lol! I don’t want to wait until nextweek . Glad they at least called to give us a heads up

Last edited:
its 6;40pm on a Saturday night and the guy just showed up. I'm so grateful. Keeping my fingers crossed the air conditioner gets fixed tonight

BTW- Hubby told me next week will be in the triple digits -yikes!!!!!

Air has been fixed!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a slightly under $500 so that's good. I was thinking it was going to be more expensive. Thanks for all your prayers

Just recently, my air conditioner went out of order. I have been looking for a very long time for those who could help me

Just note that parts are apparently coming slowly out of the production chain. We were out of AC for 3 weeks this summer just waiting on the part. It may be some companies are avoiding those jobs with parts they can't easily access.

We also needed a motor for our hot tub - took a year. Luckily that was not important.

So very sorry central air should last a lot longer than that. I’m guessing you didn’t get a trane.
Actually, that's highly dependent upon climate. In south fla, ac units generally last about 10-12 years tops on average (yes there are outliers that go longer, but on average.) The heat and humidity is just too intense here. I had a real lemon - a Rheem that broke several times within the first 6 years. They only warranty for 5 and not for labor, so it was costly. Later found out they were sued multiple times as thousands of units broke down in the first few years, but cases were dismissed.

OP: stay away from Rheem! I will never buy that brand again.

Friend of mine had a Trane: broke down in first 4 years. Ancedotal, I know, but I've been hearing more Trane complaints lately on forums: wondering if quality has slipped a bit lately.

Our HOA prohibits window ACs - I have a portable and LOVE it. It cools the hotter room I'm in most of the day, without running the central AC throughout rest of house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter