Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Magic Your Way tickets that were purchased from a third-party reseller like Undercover Tourist, a travel agent, or from Disney as part of a Magic Your Way Vacation Package are consideredwholesaletickets.

• If you are upgrading a wholesale, unexpired Magic Your Way ticket, originally purchased on or after 2/12/17, to a new ticket with more days or features, and the ticket is unused or partially used but still valid, the ticket you are turning in should be bridged to the current gate price. Subtract the current gate price of the ticket you’re buying from the current gate price of the ticket you’re turning in, and that’s what you should be charged.
Someone on this thread a week ago posted that they upgraded their Canadian am ticket to an ap and this is how it was priced.

That was me! September 27th I handed in a 7-day pass that I got from Air Miles during the Canadian resident promotion and upgraded it to a Platinum annual pass. Later when I did the math it seems he gave me a value of $458US towards the pass, so it cost me $371US to upgrade it to the AP. I didn't know there was a new policy at the time and I was expecting to receive a value of $295US for the 7-day pass, so it was a wonderful surprise and welcome savings for sure!

I'm finding this so complicated, freezing the value of old tickets when they increase the price, expiring tickets at the end of the year. Just so hard to plan ahead, I guess I just need to figure out how to best work with it.

I'm there in two weeks, I was going to use 5 day Canadian am tickets but they expire 2030 so I'd really rather hold onto them. I only have points for one more ticket (at 4695 am ugh) but I think I might get it and it will save one more 2030 expiry ticket.

Slightly different topic but I may also try to add hoppers to my 5 day Canadian am vouchers. From what I am reading on mousesavers and disboards' threads, these might now be valued as current year wholesale tickets and would be bridged to current gate price as long as Disney hasn't increased prices or expired the tickets. Another reason for not redeeming ahead of time!

From mousesavers again:

Magic Your Way tickets that were purchased from a third-party reseller like Undercover Tourist, a travel agent, or from Disney as part of a Magic Your Way Vacation Package are consideredwholesaletickets.

• If you are upgrading a wholesale, unexpired Magic Your Way ticket, originally purchased on or after 2/12/17, to a new ticket with more days or features, and the ticket is unused or partially used but still valid, the ticket you are turning in should be bridged to the current gate price. Subtract the current gate price of the ticket you’re buying from the current gate price of the ticket you’re turning in, and that’s what you should be charged.
Someone on this thread a week ago posted that they upgraded their Canadian am ticket to an ap and this is how it was priced.

I'm going in two weeks as well and will try to upgrade to parkhoppers. If this is a new policy, then we will upgrade, otherwise we will not. I will report back.

Slightly different topic but I may also try to add hoppers to my 5 day Canadian am vouchers. From what I am reading on mousesavers and disboards' threads, these might now be valued as current year wholesale tickets and would be bridged to current gate price as long as Disney hasn't increased prices or expired the tickets. Another reason for not redeeming ahead of time!

I think Tinkershelly got lucky. Many others have tried upgrading and NOT gotten the gate price as credit for their Canadian Resident tickets. The bridging policy is not supposed to apply to discounted tickets.

Hope it works out for you though, and please post back and let us know if it does! I have 4 Canadian Resident tickets that we would probably upgrade if we could get gate price, but it's not worth losing the discount.

I ordered a child's 7 day Canadian Discount Ticket and I received a hard plastic ticket. No code like the adult ones I received that you have to redeem for an actual ticket. No mention anywhere about needing a Canadian passport, or anything about Canadian Resident ticket anywhere on the order form either. Anyone else order a child's Canadian discount and get this? If they sent a regular ticket by mistake, do they expire?

I got the same. I’ve linked to MDE and on MDE it says expiry 2019-01-14

Maybe not so great if you actually wanted the specific ticket you bought, but for anyone who was thinking of picking up the child Canadian Resident tickets to upgrade, this is awesome! If Air Miles is still charging Canadian Resident rates for these tickets and then sending out regular tickets, they will be upgradable at a much lower cost.

I don't expect it will last long though. Likely it was either a relatively isolated mistake, or the Cdn. Resident tickets will soon be removed from the Air Miles site.

I'm kinda tempted to pick up a couple though. My youngest is nearly 9, and will be 10 before he'll need a new ticket, but even at the discount value those Cdn. Resident tickets are a better use of Air Miles than the new adult tickets.

So confusing! But good to know they won't ever expire the tickets. You just might have to pay extra.
Unless you have the "never expire" ticket.

Does anyone remember what the value is for the CDN 7-day child ticket? I think the adult value is $295.54 by what I've read here.

I'm going in two weeks as well and will try to upgrade to parkhoppers. If this is a new policy, then we will upgrade, otherwise we will not. I will report back.

Are your tickets the CDN tickets, or the ones that they're handing out now (hard plastic) that are supposed to still be CDN? I'd be very interested to know what value they attach to them now as we use the value of the tickets toward renewing AP's.
We've been having the debate this morning as to whether to take the chance and order some of the current child tickets and hope that we get full value. As of now, I think we're waiting to hear as it's not in our best interest to use those tickets if they are of reduced value.

I think Tinkershelly got lucky. Many others have tried upgrading and NOT gotten the gate price as credit for their Canadian Resident tickets. The bridging policy is not supposed to apply to discounted tickets.

Hope it works out for you though, and please post back and let us know if it does! I have 4 Canadian Resident tickets that we would probably upgrade if we could get gate price, but it's not worth losing the discount.

You could be quite right, might be some wishful thinking. I haven't seen anyone report about unsuccessfully upgrading in this circumstance, likely I just need to look a little harder. They would have to be AM tickets purchased after 2/12/17, not ones purchased directly from Disney and they would have tried to upgrade after the Canadian promo ended. I also don't know when the policy change occurred, mousesavers current posting date is Aug 2, 2017.

I have just ordered a 5d ticket for 4695am, hopefully it gets here in time. If I can't upgrade the Canadian tickets, I will just upgrade the regular am one.

Last edited:
That was me! September 27th I handed in a 7-day pass that I got from Air Miles during the Canadian resident promotion and upgraded it to a Platinum annual pass. Later when I did the math it seems he gave me a value of $458US towards the pass, so it cost me $371US to upgrade it to the AP. I didn't know there was a new policy at the time and I was expecting to receive a value of $295US for the 7-day pass, so it was a wonderful surprise and welcome savings for sure!

@Tinkershelly, yes it was you! I apologize as I didn't have time to search for your post and give you credit.

Did you convert your Canadian voucher to a ticket and then upgrade to an ap later ... or straight from voucher to ap?

Also, would you happen to know when you ordered your am voucher? ie. was it after the Disney offer ended May 20? Just wondering if that might make a difference.

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble logging onto the Airmiles site. I don't know if they are down updating things or what. Tried my # and DH# it keeps sending me to the pink log in page and won't let me get any further.

Hi Hon
Thanks for the good wishes.
I think you need to have a sampler pack (3-4 choices) for company...lol.
Hugs Mel

I took your advice and picked up two others so I do now have a sample pack for dinner tonight.

Anyone else having trouble logging onto the Airmiles site. I don't know if they are down updating things or what. Tried my # and DH# it keeps sending me to the pink log in page and won't let me get any further.

Can't get in either. I ordered a ticket at 12:10pm and haven't been able to get in since shortly after that. App is working but perhaps limited functions????

Glad to see I am not the only one...never had this before so I came to our thread to see if anyone else had posted...This is the message I see when I try to log in "Oops system error, please try later"

Are your tickets the CDN tickets, or the ones that they're handing out now (hard plastic) that are supposed to still be CDN? I'd be very interested to know what value they attach to them now as we use the value of the tickets toward renewing AP's.
We've been having the debate this morning as to whether to take the chance and order some of the current child tickets and hope that we get full value. As of now, I think we're waiting to hear as it's not in our best interest to use those tickets if they are of reduced value.

No, mine are the paper ones that say CDN special on them.

I took your advice and picked up two others so I do now have a sample pack for dinner tonight.
I can get in however maybe the issue has resolved itself by now. Try now if you haven't already.

Maybe not so great if you actually wanted the specific ticket you bought, but for anyone who was thinking of picking up the child Canadian Resident tickets to upgrade, this is awesome! If Air Miles is still charging Canadian Resident rates for these tickets and then sending out regular tickets, they will be upgradable at a much lower cost.

I don't expect it will last long though. Likely it was either a relatively isolated mistake, or the Cdn. Resident tickets will soon be removed from the Air Miles site.

I'm kinda tempted to pick up a couple though. My youngest is nearly 9, and will be 10 before he'll need a new ticket, but even at the discount value those Cdn. Resident tickets are a better use of Air Miles than the new adult tickets.
Yes, if we were going before the expiry I'd be excited! I know someone mentioned that you'd still be able to use the value of the ticket after it expired to put towards a new ticket. However I imagine you'd have to do that in person and wouldn't be able to make FP in advance with an expired ticket.

I'm so tempted by that carry-on Minnie Mouse suitcase... but know that I should just keep saving til I have 5200AM for another 7 day ticket... :)

I'm so tempted by that carry-on Minnie Mouse suitcase... but know that I should just keep saving til I have 5200AM for another 7 day ticket... :)

I know the feeling,,,
I just cashed in 850 for two Escape movie packages and then decided I needed another one,,
I am supposed to be saving for more Universal tickets.
But on a good note I'm getting my Christmas shopping done.
Hugs to you
Mel

@Tinkershelly, yes it was you! I apologize as I didn't have time to search for your post and give you credit.

Did you convert your Canadian voucher to a ticket and then upgrade to an ap later ... or straight from voucher to ap?

Also, would you happen to know when you ordered your am voucher? ie. was it after the Disney offer ended May 20? Just wondering if that might make a difference.

I just looked back at my Air Miles account and I got that voucher in Nov 2016, so I'm not sure how I got the full value of a 7-day pass. And I brought the voucher to Guest Services at the Magic Kingdom and turned it into an AP directly. I'm not sure what the cast member did, he might have turned it into a 7-day pass before turning it into an AP, he didn't say and I definitely didn't ask!

I have another Canadian resident voucher which I ordered from Air Miles in July and which has a date on the back of March 2017, so I do know it was the November voucher that I used. I don't have an explanation for my good fortune, but I'm definitely doing the happy dance.

I just looked back at my Air Miles account and I got that voucher in Nov 2016, so I'm not sure how I got the full value of a 7-day pass. And I brought the voucher to Guest Services at the Magic Kingdom and turned it into an AP directly. I'm not sure what the cast member did, he might have turned it into a 7-day pass before turning it into an AP, he didn't say and I definitely didn't ask!

I have another Canadian resident voucher which I ordered from Air Miles in July and which has a date on the back of March 2017, so I do know it was the November voucher that I used. I don't have an explanation for my good fortune, but I'm definitely doing the happy dance.

Thank you so much, all your info is helpful. I have 4 Canadian vouchers, 2 issued May 2017 with 2/26/17 and then two issued July and August with 3/9/17. I was hoping yours was timestamped somehow after May when the promo was over but definitely not the case. I will try the August one first regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter