Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I don't know how I did it, but I took my very small food budget for the month and headed out for Blue Friday at Safeway and I somehow earned MORE AirMiles than I spent in actual dollars. :) Spent $144, earned 187 AM!

So excited! *dancing around like an emoji*

On second thought, I don't actually know... I grew up using the Imperial system in the USA - metric is totally weird for me. What drives me nuts is that Canadians are able to convert back and forth so easily between metric and imperial AND that sales promotions always take advantage of listing the cheaper unit when the price is higher. If the price looks too high in LBS, they switch the pricing unit to KG and sometimes even OZ, just to have a little more fun. :( AUGH
What?? Blue Friday? I didn't see anything in the online flyers. Did I miss it?

Oh wow! Very nice! I didn't think they would let you redeem a GC for another GC... I read the terms on their website and it says "Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law." Maybe Disney gift cards don't fall into the categories of Grocery/Fuel/Liquor??
I was able to use the Foodland gift cards to buy LCBO gift card successfully in the past both at Sobeys and Foodland. I just did that last weekend at Foodland. I hope Sobeys stays the same as I am going to buy some Cineplex gift cards for Christmas tomorrow.

Happy with my Sobeys purchase today
they had the frozen fruit pops as part of the ice cream deal so I bought a couple of boxes of the Pineapple ones.
I did buy 2 meat lovers and 2 chicken/spinach pizzas
total airmiles earned
Hugs Mel
Thanks Mel! I love pineapple pops too! I am definitely going to Sobeys tomorrow!!

Oh wow! Very nice! I didn't think they would let you redeem a GC for another GC... I read the terms on their website and it says "Cards can be used for all in-store purchases except another Corporate Gift Card (grocery, fuel or liquor) or as prohibited by law." Maybe Disney gift cards don't fall into the categories of Grocery/Fuel/Liquor??
Think they fall under Entertainment ;)

My sobeys shopping last night was really disappointing. I had the coupon for buy $100 get 100, but only ended up with 117 AM. There were hardly any in store AM bonuses and my offers didn't have anything good either.

What?? Blue Friday? I didn't see anything in the online flyers. Did I miss it?
Maybe it wasn't? It's the friday coupon that is $100 get 100 AM

except there were a LOT of AM items that I was able to stock up on!

Chocolate chips, coffee, french fries, plus some bonus book coupons that gave me free butter and extra AM on ground beef...

Well, I was just turned away from Sobeys in Pickering... they wouldn't even try to ring through my gift cards to pay for a Disney gift card. They just called the manager who said "no way can you use a gift card to buy a gift card."

I was pretty upset by the way she spoke to me so I just abandoned my cart full of groceries and left the store. :mad:

Last edited:
I'm really mad at myself. I plotted out my shopping today with way more detail than usual. I started at Rexall... that all went according to plan. Then across the parking lot to Sobeys which is where things failed. Somehow I miss calculated the dollar amount of what I had by $5 and change. I was using the Little Book of Bonuses coupons and needed the spend $60 one as the 4th....so that was a miss and I only got the 10 bonus instead of the 25. Then as I'm walking out I realize that I'm missing the 75 for the pizza/ice cream deal. As I waited at customer service I look in my bags and low and behold I've bought 2 of the wrong pizzas. I really should have returned them and got the right ones but at that point I needed to get home.

At Rexall I spent the $50 to earn 100 and then I redeemed 285 miles to get the extra 100 but it's not on my receipt so I certainly hope it comes through.

Well, I was just turned away from Sobeys in Pickering... they wouldn't even try to ring through my gift cards to pay for a Disney gift card. They just called the manager who said "no way can you use a gift card to buy a gift card."

I was pretty upset by the way she spoke to me so I just abandoned my cart full of groceries and left the store. :mad:
That sucks. Each store is different on what they allow. Should have some consistency . But there is no excuse for treating people in a mean way. I would have done the same thing.

At Rexall I spent the $50 to earn 100 and then I redeemed 285 miles to get the extra 100 but it's not on my receipt so I certainly hope it comes through.
Is this a Rexall offer? I didn't see it anywhere in my scanning. Either way here's the timeline for when i did this at the end of October:

• got email on 27th of October
  • cashed in $30.00 worth of miles on the 31st, earned 275 that day
  • November 13th got the extra 100.
SO for an out-of-pocket $20.00 I snagged 375 AM (and all those cash miles are left over from LAST YEAR's StB so they were *free*)
I chose to wait to shop during the week so i could use the e-mail coupon AND my LnG threshold spend to get more miles

Not a good AM hunting day for me either! Planning to use the STB Sobeys Cash miles coupon. Got 4 ice creams and pops. Got my favourite Popcorns which were on sale. But the STB coupon wouldn’t go through. Kept saying reward limited. I gave up and paid with the gift card. It’s my 9th STB coupon. Just want to get the bonus 25 miles since I am getting the ice creams anyways. Oh well, I will save the cash miles for future opportunities. Yet I am still upset with my plan not working as expected. Also forgot to bring my other Foodland gift card to get some LCBO gift cards.

I was turned away once as well. The lady made me feel like I was dumb or what. I only asked if I could purchase a LCBO gift card with the Foodland gift card. I never tried that Sobeys ever again. I have two other Sobeys and one Foodland that are ok with it. However they are pretty far from home.

I also try to pick early morning on the weekend when only one or two cash registers are open and a younger looking cashier to do the exchange. It seems that younger cashiers work in the morning.

Last edited:
We had an A-MAZ-ING trip to Sobeys today!
Card #1 :

• 2 Lysol wipes & 2 Toilet cleaner $3.99 buy 2 get 15 AM
  • 4 of our offers in the book from the mail :Juice, margarine,(on sale!) yogurt & ice cream sandwiches -- used 4 got the extra

Total pre-tax: $45.77 (paid mostly with last giftcard) snagged 87 AM

Card #2: we bought nothing without AM attached ALL targeted offers

• Sweetened condensed milk 7Am
  • Butter 6 AM
  • 2 Herbal Essence Shampoo **** on sale for $2.99 PLUS had shelf offer of 5 AM (not sure if it was per bottle or each??) 6th StB coupon
  • Cashed in AM 7th StB coupon

Total Pre-tax:$12.46 (put the remaining $2.46 on gc) snagged 53 AM plus the 25 for redeeming (that i *think* posts later??)

Is this a Rexall offer? I didn't see it anywhere in my scanning. Either way here's the timeline for when i did this at the end of October:

• got email on 27th of October
  • cashed in $30.00 worth of miles on the 31st, earned 275 that day
  • November 13th got the extra 100.
SO for an out-of-pocket $20.00 I snagged 375 AM (and all those cash miles are left over from LAST YEAR's StB so they were *free*)
I chose to wait to shop during the week so i could use the e-mail coupon AND my LnG threshold spend to get more miles
It was an AM email. The only thing was the 'learn more' tab to click on only took me to the eflyer page. I didn't find any details. If it works I will get 238 for $25 OOP. Same with me, the cash miles are from last years STB.

I was VERY tempted to use the STB coupon for the fragrances today (20 for the coupon plus 20 in store offer) but in the end I've finished Christmas shopping and my girls don't need any more stuff like that.

It was an AM email. The only thing was the 'learn more' tab to click on only took me to the eflyer page. I didn't find any details. If it works I will get 238 for $25 OOP. Same with me, the cash miles are from last years STB.

I was VERY tempted to use the STB coupon for the fragrances today (20 for the coupon plus 20 in store offer) but in the end I've finished Christmas shopping and my girls don't need any more stuff like that.
Yup, that's how my offer came and it worked perfectly!

Thanks Mel for the load n go info, very easy.
I am disappointed with my recent Sobey's shopping experience. First of all the nearest Sobey's is 20 minutes away and the largest is 45 minutes away so shopping there is a trek..... Bought the pizza's, for some reason I thought it said buy 3 pizzas get 75 am so I did x 2 for dh card. Had one last night for dinner and it was awful(like cardboard) and just realized from reading other posts that I was supposed to buy ice-cream or something.....so I didn't even get the am...
To take the pizzas back will mean a 20 minute car ride...
now I remember why I stopped couponing....IT'S THE FINE PRINT THAT GETS YOU!!,
I'm almost ready to give up.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter