Airmiles Armchair Chatter

How so? I see the 45 pts / dollar on the card plus 15 / dollar regular offer, so that's 6% which is already pretty good. But I don't understand the other 7%?

We've had the regular card since long before the World Elite card was offered. I've been thinking of upgrading, but I don't really shop much at Shoppers (or any drug store), or even Loblaws anymore. The hook for me is gift card purchases. 4.5% back on WDW gift cards at Shoppers could add up.
Its an offer they have going for the rest of the year. I'll post the link but not sure how to post the page itself.

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/m/en/campaign/sem05/whyjoin1/

Nice! Looks like it's only good for current cardholders until August 10, but that's still a great deal for the next month.

And if I don't get around to upgrading, even my old basic PC Mastercard is good for 11.5%. Thanks for the info!

Fairly decent hunting trip at Rexall today!! Pre:tax total was $76.72, used the survey coupon to bring it down to $71.72 and snagged 196 AM
  • Flyer threshold spend $70 =100 AM
  • 2 Gaviscon (stupid gastritis will act up eventually!) flyer offer of 10 AM LnG offer of 12 AM
  • Toothpaste $4.99 LnG offer of 5 AM (only one brand hubby can tolerate and it's rarely on sale, so BIG BONUS!)
  • Shampoo for hubby (why does someone who is basically bald have so few choices that work??) LnG offer of 4 AM
  • LnG Threshold spend $25 get 50 AM
I've done better but not in a very long time, happy ducky

Metro was a different story though, if it wasn't for the oatmeal offer & cream loaded offer we'd have 2 base miles :P

How so? I see the 45 pts / dollar on the card plus 15 / dollar regular offer, so that's 6% which is already pretty good. But I don't understand the other 7%?

We've had the regular card since long before the World Elite card was offered. I've been thinking of upgrading, but I don't really shop much at Shoppers (or any drug store), or even Loblaws anymore. The hook for me is gift card purchases. 4.5% back on WDW gift cards at Shoppers could add up.

FWIW, pretty sure you usually get 3% back on gift cards at SDM with World Elite, 4.5% on in-store items. The 4.5% they advertise includes the 1.5% Shoppers base points which you don't get buying gift cards.

I hope to check out this bonus offer of theirs on Tuesday.

I am done with my 6x25L for 100AM at Shell. With DH's work pickup truck, it's easy to do multiple fills when you only fill 25L each time. ;) So, if someone needs an extra fill to reach their goal, send me your AM card number by pm and I will try to remember using it next time we go to Shell (we just fulled our personal car so it might take a week or so but I should be able to add a couple 25L to my car before the end of the month)!

FWIW, pretty sure you usually get 3% back on gift cards at SDM with World Elite, 4.5% on in-store items. The 4.5% they advertise includes the 1.5% Shoppers base points which you don't get buying gift cards.

I hope to check out this bonus offer of theirs on Tuesday.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I think you're right, though I didn't realize it until you said so. So it's a 2% bonus over the base PC Mastercard (or any other 1% dividend card), which is still not bad for a no-fee card. I knew 4.5% sounded too good to be true!

PC optimum confuses me. You get PC points for regular shopping at Shoppers, but not anywhere else unless you ahve their mastercard? So at Fortinos, I would only get bonus points through the personal offers, nothing for regular shopping like at Metro for airmiles?

PC optimum confuses me. You get PC points for regular shopping at Shoppers, but not anywhere else unless you ahve their mastercard? So at Fortinos, I would only get bonus points through the personal offers, nothing for regular shopping like at Metro for airmiles?

That's right. Shoppers always had a certain number of points that you got for every dollar spent (it was 10 pts with the old Shopper's Optimum system, now it's 15 pts with the new system). Grocery stores (No Frills, Zehrs, Loblaws, RCSS, Fortinos, etc) never had the points/spend, just the bonus, and that's still their system.

You can get most bonus points on all items at any store that carries that item, although it's often more advantageous to get that item at say, No Frills, because it's less expensive on average. I COULD buy Kraft PB at Shoppers, but it's $7.99/kg. That same jar is $4.99 regular price at No Frills (and sometimes less with a sale). Even with the 15pts/$1 at Shoppers, buying at No Frills is just better economics.

I am done with my 6x25L for 100AM at Shell. With DH's work pickup truck, it's easy to do multiple fills when you only fill 25L each time. ;) So, if someone needs an extra fill to reach their goal, send me your AM card number by pm and I will try to remember using it next time we go to Shell (we just fulled our personal car so it might take a week or so but I should be able to add a couple 25L to my car before the end of the month)!
I think I'm going to be one short.....my DD forgot and filled her tank elsewhere. Can PM the # is you're still game???

Hubby and I are having a pretty miserable week (yeah i know it's only Tuesday!!) and last night we tried one of the new treats we picked up at Sobey's, guess we'll be heading back before tomorrow night now ... they were seriously, TOO GOOD!!

What's happened to make us both eat TWO of these goodies at 10 pm??

• Temperature just keeps rising - at 8 am it was already 27 in the living room and the bedroom is 2 flights of un-aircondtioned stairs above that :crazy2:
  • The union office can't wait till September so he's gotta head out west by the middle of August
  • Needs to buy a new computer to get the programming and testing done BEFORE that time!
  • Flights & car rental are a LOT more $$ mid-summer compared to late August
  • The hotel he normally stays in is fully booked and I'm having real trouble finding something else
  • Flights out of KW airport are at least $200 more than Pearson so I'll need to drive in & out and I haven't driven the new car yet, NOT a nice way to learn its tricks!! (we only have the one car and i rarely need to go anywhere alone when it IS here!!)
  • I'm NOT going with him anymore ... he can only afford to be away from home base for a week so he'll be too busy for much "us time" and I really don't want to spend a week in what will more than likely be, just a hotel room :guilty:
  • Now i need to figure out something we can do for a break -- we haven't been anywhere together for longer than an overnight trip to TO since Jan 2017 and that is hard on my mental health!!!!
So which treats did we like so much????
upload_2018-7-17_11-9-17.png

Hubby and I are having a pretty miserable week (yeah i know it's only Tuesday!!) and last night we tried one of the new treats we picked up at Sobey's, guess we'll be heading back before tomorrow night now ... they were seriously, TOO GOOD!!

• Temperature just keeps rising - at 8 am it was already 27 in the living room and the bedroom is 2 flights of un-aircondtioned stairs above that :crazy2:
  • The union office can't wait till September so he's gotta head out west by the middle of August
  • Needs to buy a new computer to get the programming and testing done BEFORE that time!
  • The hotel he normally stays in is fully booked and I'm having real trouble finding something else
  • Flights out of KW airport are at least $200 more than Pearson so I'll need to drive in & out and I haven't driven the new car yet, NOT a nice way to learn its tricks!! (we only have the one car and i rarely need to go anywhere alone when it IS here!!)
  • I'm NOT going with him anymore ... he can only afford to be away from home base for a week so he'll be too busy for much "us time" and I really don't want to spend a week in what will more than likely be, just a hotel room :guilty:
  • Now i need to figure out something we can do for a break -- we haven't been anywhere together for longer than an overnight trip to TO since Jan 2017 and that is hard on my mental health!!!!
View attachment 337576

Have you priced out your flights with the new SWOOP airlines?

They are the WestJet no frill one and found the prices to be decent BUT you are only paying for your seat. You need to pay for carry on and checked bags.

https://www.flyswoop.com/

Also, if you dont do this already, use the Hopper App or Google Flights.

Last thing, flights prices do tend to go down Tues and Wed

View attachment 337576

Hi Sweetie
Yes you and Hubby do need a break away.
I know it's hot here right now but if it were me I'd be looking at planning a trip away during the cold/winter.
I wish airmiles would hurry up and go *online* for their travel rewards.
Thinking of you and sending ~~Cool thoughts ~~~your way.

PS I got some of the strawberry drumsticks and oh my gosh they are good!
I might have to go for a little drive this afternoon.:tiptoe::car:
6522.jpg

To me Shell is the mystery. I've signed up for their offers, I did massive loads of gift cards, I fill up and swipe my card....yet I still can't seem to attract any of their offers like the threshold monthly fill offers.....not sure how to get on their radar

I stopped getting those Shell offers, it's been so long, can't remember the last time. I'm pretty sure it's because we (mostly me, sometimes my husband) are already pretty diligent at filling up there, they don't need to throw any incentives our way.

View attachment 337576

Hi Sweetie
Yes you and Hubby do need a break away.
I know it's hot here right now but if it were me I'd be looking at planning a trip away during the cold/winter.
I wish airmiles would hurry up and go *online* for their travel rewards.
Thinking of you and sending ~~Cool thoughts ~~~your way.

PS I got some of the strawberry drumsticks and oh my gosh they are good!
I might have to go for a little drive this afternoon.:tiptoe::car:
6522.jpg

Hmm...I might have to try both of these Drumstick flavours, didn't see them at my Sobeys. I DO plan to go back for more Haagen Daz before this promo is over. Might have to hit up another Sobeys tonight after work!

Have you priced out your flights with the new SWOOP airlines?

They are the WestJet no frill one and found the prices to be decent BUT you are only paying for your seat. You need to pay for carry on and checked bags.

https://www.flyswoop.com/

Also, if you dont do this already, use the Hopper App or Google Flights.

Last thing, flights prices do tend to go down Tues and Wed
Yup, I looked at them but for a flight from Hamilton to Abbotsford ... too far on a very tiny plane AND the only return flight is a red-eye. Only one flight per day is also problematic when travelling on business and there is a very real possibility that he might need to extend his stay which Swoop wouldn't allow. Both Westjet & AC will let him change his flight for about $100 --- sounds like a lot but he'd make that up in the extra he'd get to charge the client. Biggest problem is that i would have to drive in and out of Hamilton .. on expressways that I'm not familiar with, just too much stress for the Duck.

He HAS to be there for 8 am Monday and (hopefully) return the following Sat (or Sun, Monday or heaven-forbid, Tuesday). I actually was able to get the airfare down to about $600 using a bunch of combos that he can decide from -- WJ return, or some Aeroplan points for a fancy-pants highest level of business class one way and returning on a WJ flight. The union has agreed to cover his hotel so that concern is gone, I just need to pick a couple for him to choose from and he'll let them know. Rental car will cost at least $700 but i have a code that will get him 100 AM if he goes with Budget :P

And for our trip??? I just stumbled across the fact that the Agawa Caynon train has packages that will give us 3 nights accommodations, tickets on the train, & entry to just about every museum there is in the Soo for around $800. We've always wanted to take the train but the drive getting there is soooo long until i had a wonderful thought that will let us do another bucket list, PORTER flies from Billy Bishop to the Soo and we can use AM!!!!! I have the bizzarre wish to use the tunnel to the airport and Porter looks like a great airline to try out! It will take fewer AM than flying to Vancouver and the rental car has an offer right now that gives you 100 AM BACK. I'm thinking we'll even add an extra night in Toronto on either end and use our tickets to the aquarium that i got with AM.

I'm feeling a bit better now that i have a plan of action that will at least get us out of the house together. Just gotta pick which hotel we want to stay at -- or do we go with the fully furnished cabin????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter