Airport/Customs?

alisonbestford

<font color=990066>Can cope with the dentist after
Can anyone help me on this one please?
We're off to WDW in May and I've been given the responsibility of looking after my daughter's engagement ring during the flight and until she is officially proposed to......🤭
Other than guard my hand luggage with my life is there anything else I need to do at the airport? :thanks:

Can anyone help me on this one please?
We're off to WDW in May and I've been given the responsibility of looking after my daughter's engagement ring during the flight and until she is officially proposed to......🤭
Other than guard my hand luggage with my life is there anything else I need to do at the airport? :thanks:
Is your daughter travelling with you as if so and you get pulled where they have to check your hand luggage, she may see the box.

I'd carry a copy of the bill of sale ..... I doubt you'll have trouble on the US side but returning home they could suspect you bought in the US and look for import duty. SO, be prepared to show it was bought 'at home'

US Customs generally recommends this for high end jewelry/watches/cameras .... carry documentation when you take it out of the country so when you return you can prove you didn't buy it during the trip. I don't worry about stuff with some age but brand new????

Last edited:
Is your daughter travelling with you as if so and you get pulled where they have to check your hand luggage, she may see the box.
Yes she's travelling with us but she knows about the ring - just not where and when..... She's even suggested wearing it through customs then taking it off until her boyfriend proposes.......Seems like a lot of hard work to me ;-)

I'd carry a copy of the bill of sale ..... I doubt you'll have trouble on the US side but returning home they could suspect you bought in the US and look for import duty. SO, be prepared to show it was bought 'at home'

US Customs generally recommends this for high end jewelry/watches/cameras .... carry documentation when you take it out of the country so when you return you can prove you didn't buy it during the trip. I don't worry about stuff with some age but brand new????
Fab suggestion - thankyou.
That's not something I'd thought of.....But I do have the receipt so will make sure that comes with us 🙃
Flipping heck - the hoops we'll ending jumping through for a WDW proposal!

Last edited:
US customs shouldn't care - you're not leaving it in the US.
If you were planning on leaving it there, it might possibly be an issue.
But it's being taken out of the US again at the end of the trip.
I doubt UK customs will care either, since it will be on her finger when you return to the UK, but as others have suggested, you should have the receipt with you to prove to UK customs that it was purchased in the UK (just in case they do care).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!