AK Caring for the Giants Tour...

I wonder how quickly times sell out? I notice our dates are still available (6 months from now), but I haven't finalized the days I want to be in which park. Do you pay when you book or pay when you get there? Could I do a reservation now, like for an ADR and change it as necessary?

I wonder how quickly times sell out? I notice our dates are still available (6 months from now), but I haven't finalized the days I want to be in which park. Do you pay when you book or pay when you get there? Could I do a reservation now, like for an ADR and change it as necessary?
You pay when you book, but you have up until 2 days before to make changes or can cancel.

I wonder how quickly times sell out?

When I went Saturday, I missed my scheduled time (Bus foul-up, Grrrr!) However, there were plenty of slots available throughout the day, she said. And there was another couple who signed in while I was there. So up until 15 minutes before the tour, there were only 2 signed up. Yet as we were headed towards the elephants, the previous tour was coming back, appeared to be about 20 people. And when I first stopped by to inquire in May, they told me that there were plenty of "same day" openings if I wanted to do it that day. So it doesn't appear to sell out often.

My husband and I did this tour on our honeymoon in June. There were six people total in our group. We thought it was well worth the $30! We loved seeing the elephants from a different perspective and they were pretty active the day we did it. Baby Stella was running around and there were some young giraffes in the background learning how to fight with their necks which was cool to watch. The guides gave us some great information on the elephants.

That being said, I'm not sure we would do the tour again (at least anytime soon). It was a great one-time experience but, coming all the way from California (which we don't do but every few years), there are other things in the park we still want to explore!

We will have two days at AK on our next trip and I'm thinking about adding this.

Surprised DD with in Nov. and loved it! I try to add something new each trip, and DD wants to be a vet, so this was perfect, especially as it was so affordable. I ended up not booking till the day before due to not being sure of our schedule that day, and got a 9:30 time, but when we got there, had wanted to take advantage of morning, so asked about changing, and got in on the 1:00 tour, which the girl indicated was a good time for them to be active. It was so cool to see them up close - I probably took 100s of pictures. Got to ask the keeper some questions which was great for my DD, and conservationist from Africa was very interesting. As a bonus, found out the tour cost goes to the conservation fund. Wish they would do it for giraffes as well! Will plan to check out the rhinos next trip.

I just book the Caring for the Giants Tour at Animal Kingdom, for $30 a person, it didn't sound like a bad price...

Has anyone else been on this tour? How was it?

By what I have found online, it sounds very cool (better than seeing elephants at a local zoo) and interesting!

This is an AMAZING tour and it's strange to find something that seems under-priced at Disney!! I would recommend it whole-heartedly!! We went in May 2017 and there was a baby elephant there at the time. It was cool to see the ride vehicles go by full of people who were getting glimpses, while we were getting as many full views and pics as we wanted!

I am really considering this for our December trip. I may wait until closer to time to book though since December weather is a little iffy. Does anyone know if you can pay with a Disney GC?

Does anyone know if you can wear sandals on the tour? The booking agent said your toes cannot be exposed (and mine are only slightly in the sandals). Has anyone taken the tour and been allowed to wear sandals?

I was on the tour in March. I wore sneakers. I don't think there's any hazard that would impede you in sandals, but you do walk in some areas that aren't a perfectly groomed path. It's nature. If there's a puddle, you'll get your shoes wet. You don't actually go into a barn area or interact directly with the elephants. You go to an area that's behind where they are on stage and can see them up closer and for longer than you would on a safari. And you're bussed over to that area.

Does anyone know if you can wear sandals on the tour? The booking agent said your toes cannot be exposed (and mine are only slightly in the sandals). Has anyone taken the tour and been allowed to wear sandals?
I believe when signing up they ask you wear closed toe shoes.

My daughter absolutely loves elephants so we did this last June and it was one of the highlights of the trip. The requirement when we booked was to wear comfortable shoes, no restrictions, and I wore sandals that day because I find AK hotter than other parks. I had no issues that day walking on the tour. There are steps to climb and a trail to follow.

Our group will have a 4, 5, and 6 year old. For those who have taken the tour, do you think it is worthwhile for children that young? They are animal lovers.

It's a good tour to see them closer than you would on the Safari ride. However, they ask that you don't make too much noise or call to them. A portion of the tour is talking with a local expert from the region about the elephants and conservation efforts. It may be a bit serene for young ones. Both times I've been on it there were only adults.

I will say that this is must see for elephant lovers. A good amount of time spent watching them. No real mobility issues (my wife uses a wheeled walker) and they have a ramp. You can't leave anything in the bus though.

They take you around the back so you can see where the elephants are all together (mostly). It would be akin to seeing them in a zoo setting, but with a very open enclosure. (note: they have more roaming room than the tour shows you). I have a ton of photos, but here's one to give you a sense. This was just one part of the area you can see. You can see the Safari going past on the other side. You get to stand and watch the elephants doing their thing and have your photo taken, if you like (with your camera, not a photopass). The 6 year old might appreciate it more than the 4 year old, but you know your kids best. You don't get to touch them or get right up close to them.

We did this tour in May , in the 4:00 slot. Unfortunately, we didn't see any elephants on the tour. At all. We were told that for the past few weeks, the elephants had all "called it a day" around 3:00. They knew it was close to their time to go inside, so they were just waiting by their gates. Therefore, most of the late afternoon tours weren't getting to see the elephants. When we got back, they had a lead waiting for us, and she gave us a single FP good for 5 people (but not for any Avatar rides). Not really a good substitute, IMO.

Because this was a surprise for DD who absolutely loves elephants, I decided to see if we could reschedule for our second AK day. They were able to reschedule us, and they didn't charge us for the second tour. We did the 12:30 tour, and saw 5 elephants that time, and they stayed out throughout the whole tour. It was great.

So, my recommendations: Don't book the last couple of tours of the day. And, if you have a tour where you don't see any elephants, they will reschedule you for free, but they won't offer it. You have to ask.

Do you call and makes reservations or can you do it the day of. Where do you meet to do this? Do you meet up by the safari ride? Thinking about this for our upcoming trip.

Do you call and makes reservations or can you do it the day of. Where do you meet to do this? Do you meet up by the safari ride? Thinking about this for our upcoming trip.
You can do both. I signed up day of. You do meet by the safari.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter