AK...notasu!!

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
Okay, I was sitting at my dd's dance lesson tonight, eavesdropping (I know it's rude!). Overheard a woman telling another parent that from now on she was going to Roger Williams Park (in RI) since that's a Good zoo!! She went to AK and saw triple the number of animals at Roger Williams' the previous month. She said never again...that the AK park was a rip-off and that after spending about $400 for the day for her family she was never going there again!!! Now, I guess I could have explained the whole notasu thing, but I didn't. I don't really know her and felt it would have been out of place. So, my question to those of you that go to AK, and like it.....how do you deal with those that don't get the basic premise behind AK? I mean, it's not a zoo. It's so much more. Just curious as to how you all handle it.

I must say most people won't talk to me about Disney because they know I will never shut up but I will say that mom & are were last there in Jan. and we had a wonderful time at AK.

Every where we went we kept saying "Notazu"

The safari ride was great...the gorillas were amazing to watch...the theming is fantastic.

For the overall atmosphere I would take AK with out a question...its notazu!

Colleen :sunny:

Just a thought, but every less person that doesn't 'get it' is one less person to contend with in the crowds. Why not be happy?

I never said I thought AK was a zoo but I just don't find it very fun for my family. Many people have said they don't think MGM is more than a half-day park and I say "hoooray!! That's less people in line for RnRC and ToT".

Too bad people 'get' MK. That park could definitely use less crowds, lol.

I agree that AK is a park that you either get or don't get. Our family TOTALLY gets it! I really did not expect to be impressed but I was so wrong. The thing with AK is that you have to be willing and able to take it slowly and take in all your suroundings; no rushing from one attraction to another. It's all about the journey, not the destination. If they don't understand that, then they will never enjoy AK, no matter how you explain it.

I had my doubts about AK before it opened. There are several very good zoos within an hour or two from where I live.

But after our first visit to AK, it became one of our favorite places.

It really is not a zoo, but if you are looking for a zoo, try somewhere else. It is for my family, great entertainment, and an exciting day of something different.

We always like to find the anteater in the morning, wife always finds LE pins that are sold out everywhere else, I love the Flame Tree Barbeque for lunch, the otters, the gorillas, meerkats, the fruit bats, just walking through Asia and watching the big cats, the acrobats, the bird show, and the and the safari especially when you get an enthusiastic guide. And no trip to WDW would be complete without the Lion King show at least once.

No false advertising by Disney! They say- "NOTAZU" and it's NOT!

We like it and that's good enough for us!

Well, oursleves we "get it" we just don't enjoy it as much as MK and Epcot. MGM is fun for the few rides, but my wife and I are going on our lonesomes for a 3 day park trip and we will be jumping between parks, mostly MK and Epcot and MGM for the TOT and RNRC, but I will say, I enjoy Roger Williams in RI myself and as much as Ak is not a zoo, take alot of the "Zoo" out of it and the cost difference between the 2 is steep. Not saying I don't like AK, I do, but it would rate last on my parks personally.

Hey, that's why they make different types of parks for different types of people.

we like AK now, but, honestly I think it will be better someday when the original aspirations for the park are completed...it has the potential to be disneys' best park...

I must admit it took me a couple of visits to AK to 'get it'. The attention to detail is absolutely incredible!
Now working there, I've come to a greater appreciation of what it's all about, and it is definately "Nahtazu"!! ;)

Take it slow, take it all in, immerse yourself in the storyline and theming of each area, enjoy and discover the wonder of it all! ::yes:: :)

Thanks Donna, I knew there was an 'h' in there somewhere!!!! Yes, AK may be less thrilling that the other parks, but it sure is a terrific place to just amble around in. I think of it as my 'relaxing' park. I missed soooo much the first trip. I'm still finding new and different things, each time I go.

I never thought of comparing Ak to a zoo, so I guess I "got it" from the beginning.

AK is my 4th favorite of the major parks, but I still really enjoy it (it is just tough to beat the other 3!). I guess you have to understand that each park holds its own unique experiences.

my hubby and i love this park too...and also walk around singing "Nahtazu". (I think nahtazu is in one of the lyrics in the 'soundtrack' at AKL...hehehe)

But I agree with the previous poster - for those that think it's just a zoo and avoid it...is just more room there for the rest of us to enjoy the park!

I agree with Mickeymule except MGM is my least favorite park. I enjoyed AK. Absolutely LOVED Festival of the Lion King, Tree of Life, Kali, 3D movie, etc. but the whole Dinosaur area kinda ruined the atmosphere. I also didn't like Tarzan Rocks and wished I would have picked the bird show instead.

We are lucky in CT to not only have Roger Williams Zoo but the Bronx Zoo nearby. Somehow I was expecting the Bronx Zoo with the Tree of Life and shows all rolled into one. If I paid $400 for AK I'd be upset too. My expectations were too high for this park but I'd still rate it my second favorite park.

As stated above the beauty of Disney is it offers something for everyone and we should allow folks to express their opinions. On the other hand a lot of people don't "get it" about life in general.

Our first trip in October we went to AK. Me, DH, DS4, DS2, neice 7, neice 6 and MIL. We had a good time, everyone enjoyed the AK. Went back in Janaury just DH and myself and enjoyed it even more. Without the kids we just took our time and walked the trails. We missed the smaller trails when we had the kids with us, so we saw animals we missed the first time. We took the trails that lead right to the Tree of Life and just relaxed. We took the train to Rafikis Planet watch. I would have to say AK is much better than Roger williams Zoo. The last 2 times I have been to Roger Williams I didn't really enjoy it.

Just feel sorry for the "don't get it" folks. They're poor unfortunate souls . . .

We went to Roger Williams Park Zoo last October for the Jack-O Lantern show and that show was AMAZING but the zoo itself did not impress us at all. I can not even imagine wanting to go there over Ak! :crazy:

Just ask them how they liked the safari ride at Roger Williams and see what they say. Ask them how they liked experiencing the themeing at Roger Williams or how they liked the River Rapids ride.

I add to my son's love of animals with Roger Williams - I DO NOT replace our AK experience with it. There is absolutely no comparison. We just discovered Roger Williams and I do really like it, but AK it is not.

For me and my family, we LOVED AK from the first time we ever went and never once compared it to a zoo. And as a matter of fact it is in a tie for second place in our fav list with MGM. Epcot is our least favorite of the parks.

We have grown to LOVE AK! I actually think of it as a pseudo-zoo, but that's just semantics. :) Festival of the Lion King is a personal fave, as are the Kilimanjaro Safaris, Flights of Wonder, and lunch at the Flame Tree BBQ. It did take us until our third trip to WDW to fully appreciate AK, and now we can't imagine a trip to the World without spending a full day there. But I also realize that AK doesn't appeal to everyone, and that's okay. :) There's so much in the World for everyone to enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter