AKL Can’t Miss Meals

DisneyDoesMyHair

Mouseketeer
We are staying three nights at AKL-Kidani in May during our first trip to Disney. I am the foodie of our group and cannot wait to try all of the food at Disney, and especially at AKL. Fellow foodies, please share with me your can’t miss meal/snack/drink at the resort, so I can plan ahead!
For now, my short list includes the peanut butter (Okapi?) brownie and zebra domes at The Mara, and the bread service at Sana’a (we have lunch reservations here).

Everyone loves the Zebra Domes, they are also at Boma if you were planning to go there. Noone in our party ever likes them though so I am not sure what the big draw to them is. Boma is a number 1 favorite of ours for Breakfast or dinner. We usually go once a trip. Tried Jiko last trip and it was awesome. We did a quick service breakfast at Sanaa one morning but I would recommend taking the time to grab the shuttle to Jambo for quick service breakfast. Not only did it take FOREVER to order and get food, but the menu was very limited. It's neat being able to eat in Sanaa for breakfast but I would rather eat at The Mara.

Everyone loves the Zebra Domes, they are also at Boma if you were planning to go there. Noone in our party ever likes them though so I am not sure what the big draw to them is. Boma is a number 1 favorite of ours for Breakfast or dinner. We usually go once a trip. Tried Jiko last trip and it was awesome. We did a quick service breakfast at Sanaa one morning but I would recommend taking the time to grab the shuttle to Jambo for quick service breakfast. Not only did it take FOREVER to order and get food, but the menu was very limited. It's neat being able to eat in Sanaa for breakfast but I would rather eat at The Mara.
I have read great reviews of Boma, so we may need to try the buffet one evening. We will have to do Jiko next trip, as it is two DDP credits and we are already doing CRT for our signature. I would love to try it someday. Thank you for the tip to take the shuttle to Jambo for quick service breakfast!

We love Boma brunch and Jiko dinner! Try the pap and chakalaka at Boma along with the carving stations and the spicy mustard and sambal. Everything at Jiko is amazing - our favorite app is the wild boar tenderloin, for entrees we rotate amongst the filet, lamb, elk loin, and short rib. And their Kilimanjaro dessert is one of my favorites anywhere!

. Thank you for the tip to take the shuttle to Jambo for quick service breakfast!

You can also walk from Kidani to Jambo. It's about 10 minutes or less (and a good way to burn off some calories from all those WDW meals!)

If you want to treat yourself to some Zebra domes sooner rather than later, they also sell them in the Kidani gift shop (they're in the fridge).

Well the girls tried Boma for the 1st time in June and I have been informed that Boma is now part of our permanent list of places we must eat at every trip. I didn't complain because I love Zebra Domes and anyplace that has all you can eat zebra domes starts out with a 2 star advantage.

Well the girls tried Boma for the 1st time in June and I have been informed that Boma is now part of our permanent list of places we must eat at every trip. I didn't complain because I love Zebra Domes and anyplace that has all you can eat zebra domes starts out with a 2 star advantage.
How old are your girls? I have an 11 and four year old. They are both willing to try new foods, usually. But, I am worried the menu at Boma may be a little adventurous for their taste. I can’t wait to try the Zebra Domes! Every review of AKL I read mentions them!

You can also walk from Kidani to Jambo. It's about 10 minutes or less (and a good way to burn off some calories from all those WDW meals!)

If you want to treat yourself to some Zebra domes sooner rather than later, they also sell them in the Kidani gift shop (they're in the fridge).
I’ll have to grab some Zebra Domes on arrival day at the gift shop! Yay!

We love Boma brunch and Jiko dinner! Try the pap and chakalaka at Boma along with the carving stations and the spicy mustard and sambal. Everything at Jiko is amazing - our favorite app is the wild boar tenderloin, for entrees we rotate amongst the filet, lamb, elk loin, and short rib. And their Kilimanjaro dessert is one of my favorites anywhere!
We won’t be able to do Jiko this visit due to limited DDP credits. We are doing a lot of table service meals, and one signature at CRT, but we will keep this in mind for next time (wishful thinking that we get to go back).

How old are your girls? I have an 11 and four year old. They are both willing to try new foods, usually. But, I am worried the menu at Boma may be a little adventurous for their taste. I can’t wait to try the Zebra Domes! Every review of AKL I read mentions them!
18 and 10 and they really loved the place. The soups there are incredible as well you can make a meal of them.

Boma
Boma
Boma
Boma
and Boma

My kids are 14,11,10 and 8 and it has been everyone's favorite for the last 2 years
Go for breakfast if you think dinner is too adventurous. Their scrambled eggs with goat cheese are to DIE for, do you hear me?
And POG juice. And my 10 year old loves to start her day with a plate full of bacon lol

The Mara is great quick service. I prefer the chicken sandwich - so good and totally shareable. I always split it with one of the kids, its so BIG!

There is kids' section on the buffet with most of the usual kid foods - mac and cheese, pasta and meatballs, little corn dogs, nuggets, mashed potatoes.

Boma
Boma
Boma
Boma
and Boma

My kids are 14,11,10 and 8 and it has been everyone's favorite for the last 2 years
Go for breakfast if you think dinner is too adventurous. Their scrambled eggs with goat cheese are to DIE for, do you hear me?
And POG juice. And my 10 year old loves to start her day with a plate full of bacon lol

The Mara is great quick service. I prefer the chicken sandwich - so good and totally shareable. I always split it with one of the kids, its so BIG!
Boma it is! Lol I definitely would like to try the buffet at least once while we are at AKL, and the Mara chicken sandwich sounds like my kind of lunch. I forgot about POG juice! Definitely adding to my short list. Thank you for the tips!

Boma breakfast and dinner. I don't love the Zebra domes. They're good but I don't really understand the obsession. But I do love so many other things there. I love all of the soups. Breakfast is our favorite on property.

Sanaa is really good, too, although less options than Boma for a meat and potatoes type of person in your party.

The Mara is fine. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. We ate there a few times when we stayed at AKL and got tired of it very quickly.

Boma breakfast and dinner. I don't love the Zebra domes. They're good but I don't really understand the obsession. But I do love so many other things there. I love all of the soups. Breakfast is our favorite on property.

Sanaa is really good, too, although less options than Boma for a meat and potatoes type of person in your party.

The Mara is fine. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. We ate there a few times when we stayed at AKL and got tired of it very quickly.
Tell me more about the soups! What was your favorite Boma breakfast item?

They have a rotating selection of soup, including various stews, chowders, and curries. The butternut squash soup is especially popular and they might have that every day (not sure, however). At any rate you'll have several choices. So if anyone raves about a certain soup, don't get your heart set on it. Just know that there will be something else good to try!

At breakfast, the French toast bread pudding, ham, and omelettes are good. There are a few African-inspired dishes, but not as many as at dinner. The main positive is that the overall quality of the food seems higher than most of the other breakfast buffets.

Ok, hope you plan to eat all of your meals there:
Sanaa (just not breakfast, lunch and dinner are great)
Boma
Jiko
Mara (don't forget to get the peanut butter brownie and Okapi Brownie, I think that one is a little better personally)
Heck, even the pool bar at Kidani is awesome

Seriously, probably one of the best resorts for food.

Really like the breakfast buffet at Boma. Dinner also was good, but prefer dinner at other restaurants instead of a buffet.
Have not had a bad meal at Jiko, eat there just about every trip.
Sanaa - really good if you like Indian inspired food. The Curry was very good. The bread service is wonderful.

Boma is my favorite for dinner. The soups are just so very good. My husband is a very picky eater and he can even find things to eat there, even if he has to choose from the children's options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!