All About Pixar October 2019 Exercise Challenge

:welcome: BonnieF, Twlight Sparkle, and the team to VIolet Parr Violet (with PollyannaMom only a few minutes from that as well).

Pixar is really into realism. For example, Cars was the first Pixar feature to use "ray tracing," which accurately depicts light passing through and collidng with surfaces, including reflections. And in Up, Pixar didn't just depict the outer layer of the balloon cloud that lifts the house -- underneath the outer layer are inner layers of balloons that the audience can't even see.

In at least one instance, however, realism bowed to expediency. None of the human characters in Ratatouille have toes.

Congratulations to ljcrochet for turning Violet Parr Violet!

Which Pixar film was the first with a PG rating?

The Incredibles

Can you name any of the other PG Pixar movies?

Up, Brave, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, FInding Dory, Coco, Incredibles 2

Good morning from Amsterdam. I think vacation fatigue has set in. I spent the morning at the Anne Frank museum. Such a moving experience. We Uber-ed to the Rijksmuseum yesterday but still spent a solid 2 1/2 hours strolling though there. My legs are just exhausted from ten days of this! But it’s on to Paris today, where our pace should be slower. Two weeks in Europe sounds good when you’re planning but, boy, I’m starting to dream of my couch 😉😉
I’ll add 75 minutes because of the nature of museum walking. (1060/1800)
I’m not getting any of the quiz questions but I’ve enjoyed many of the Pixar movies mentioned. Coco was especially wonderful.

Congratulations to softball chick for turning Violet Parr Violet and to me for turning Lots-O'-Huggin Bear Pink!

Lots-O'-Huggin Bear (called Lotso) is the antagonist in Toy Story 3 (even though he's pink and cute and smells like strawberries). Interestingly, he was originally intended to be a character in Toy Story, but the technology to render his fur didn't exist then.

(Another possibility for pink was Bing Bong from Inside Out--Riley's imaginary friend who is a combination of cat, elephant, and dolphin and whose body is made of cotton candy.)

I thought yesterday would be a quiet day, going from Amsterdam to Paris. But I picked up a solid 20 minutes trying to find a bathroom in the Amsterdam train station. When I finally did, I didn’t have any euros soooo I had to go all the way back to my husband at track 15 and then back again to track 1 for the bathroom. Ugh!!!!! Bathrooms should be free!!! The train traveled at speeds up to 180 mph!!!! That was amazing!
Today we celebrated our 40th anniversary with champagne at the top of the Eiffel Tower! Not a pretty day, but the rain held off just long enough. I can’t believe we’ve been together for so long - it seems like yesterday!
(1080/1800)

395 minutes - walking at a zoo function, detail house cleaning, yard work, other walking, weights

Hoping to get one last ride in this evening since we head to London Tuesday. I would try for another ride tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain. : (

1550/1860

@BonnieF , your bathroom story is so funny! When I used to work in China years ago, the bathrooms were free, but the toilet paper wasn't. It was customary to carry those little packets of tissue in your purse or pocket. Otherwise you had to buy some on the spot. Do the European bathrooms at least provide toilet paper in the cost to use them?

Also, congrats on your anniversary! 40 years is impressive, and what a way to celebrate!

@sophy1996, I love Bing Bong but not so much Lotso! : ) My first magic band had Bing Bong inscribed inside for my name. We always use Disney character names for our bands rather than our own boring, real life names.

@softball chick , have fun at Wine and Dine!

@Twilight Sparkle, thank you for the good wishes! The t p was ‘free’ - but the admission was 70 cents!
@softball chick - good luck in the race!

I can add another 30 minutes for Sunday - walking to find a restaurant that wasn’t full! Moral of this story: make a reservation!!! Dinner at 9:00 is the norm here, but it’s killing me!
Wishing I’d packed a couple more sweaters!
(1110/1800)

Congratulations to Twilight Sparkle for turning Bing Bong Pink!

Earlier I mentioned the three-picture deal that Disney and Pixar signed in 1991. With that contract, Pixar received only a small percent of the profit (estimates I saw ranged from 10-15 percent to a high of 30 percent) and Disney owned the characters. After Toy Story became such a hit, Pixar had more leverage, and the two companies renegotiated their deal. In 1997, they entered into a 5-film, 10-year deal that equally shared costs, profits (including merchandise), and production credit (this was the beginning of Disney-Pixar productions). This contract also gave Disney the opportunity to buy Pixar shares, totaling about 5% of the company.

The first movie released under the new deal was A Bug's Life in 1998.

Got my 10,000 steps in on Monday - over 2 1/2 hours just walking around. We passed Notre-Dame. It’s so sad to see it so damaged but they are working furiously on restoring the roof. The flying buttresses are buttressed for support. ( I tried to add a picture but it goes upside down)
As much as I love Paris, I’m so ready to go home.
@Twilight Sparkle -have a great trip!
(1260/1800)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!