all about quick service dining plan

biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
My passholder newsletter just informed me that we can get buy one get one half off during our upcoming trip :) !! I need help pulling together all the details and how to maximize the use of a quick service dining plan. There are two of us staying at CBBR for 7 nights. DS and I are not huge eaters and generally don't drink much of the sweetened drinks offered in theme parks. We may share one butterbeer or soda per day. Anywho, here are my questions about the quick service plan:

- We will purchase the plan as needed in the parks. Do the credits expire the day you purchase or can you spread them out over a couple days?
- Are substitutions allowed? A snack/dessert instead of a drink? I'd love to get an entree with a dessert and just drink water at meal time.
- What are your favorite ways to maximize the value for each item, entree, snack, drink?

Thank you :)

- We will purchase the plan as needed in the parks. Do the credits expire the day you purchase or can you spread them out over a couple days?
- Are substitutions allowed? A snack/dessert instead of a drink? I'd love to get an entree with a dessert and just drink water at meal time.
- What are your favorite ways to maximize the value for each item, entree, snack, drink?

Thank you :)

- you do not have to use your daily credits during one day and can save to use whenever. For example, we don't end up using snack credits as we get full easily so spend them all on our final day for goodies back at home
- the majority of places do not allow you to swap your drink for a dessert but never say never. I'd just ask while queuing and you never know, you may get some some luck thrown your way.
- favourite ways of maximizing, hmm. I would suggest that look for the speciality non alcoholic drinks that aren't soda such as milkshakes, smoothies and flavoured lemonades as they're normally a little more expensive but can still be used in your plan.
Also, I try to look for snacks around the $5 mark to maximise the value of the credit. Regarding a qs meal, try again to look for things around $15 such. These dishes are higher value as they're quite big portions so if you're not too big eaters, you could always split one of the meals between 2 people.

- you do not have to use your daily credits during one day and can save to use whenever. For example, we don't end up using snack credits as we get full easily so spend them all on our final day for goodies back at home
- the majority of places do not allow you to swap your drink for a dessert but never say never. I'd just ask while queuing and you never know, you may get some some luck thrown your way.
- favourite ways of maximizing, hmm. I would suggest that look for the speciality non alcoholic drinks that aren't soda such as milkshakes, smoothies and flavoured lemonades as they're normally a little more expensive but can still be used in your plan.
Also, I try to look for snacks around the $5 mark to maximise the value of the credit. Regarding a qs meal, try again to look for things around $15 such. These dishes are higher value as they're quite big portions so if you're not too big eaters, you could always split one of the meals between 2 people.

Thank you for the reply. It seems mostly geared towards WDW. Are the ideas still valid at Universal? Thank you.

I didn't receive the passholder newsletter again. What dates is the BOGO 1/2 offer available?

I can't tell from the link...do you think this deal will be open to all passholders or will it be a certain level of pass?

I can't tell from the link...do you think this deal will be open to all passholders or will it be a certain level of pass?

According to the link...
Offer is available to Universal Orlando Annual and Seasonal Passholders from August 14-September 30, 2017. Offer available for in-park purchase(s) only when purchasing a Universal Dining Plan–Quick Service (“Dining Plan”) with presentation of a valid Annual or Seasonal Pass. Universal Dining Plan – Quick Service

According to the link...
Offer is available to Universal Orlando Annual and Seasonal Passholders from August 14-September 30, 2017. Offer available for in-park purchase(s) only when purchasing a Universal Dining Plan–Quick Service (“Dining Plan”) with presentation of a valid Annual or Seasonal Pass. Universal Dining Plan – Quick Service

Haha, I feel dumb for missing that. I swear I read several articles about it where it wasn't mentioned. Anyway, thank you!

Thank you for the useful information. We've never used meal plan at Uni but with this deal we will.
The T&C state "If purchasing two (2) Dining Plans, both Dining Plans must be purchased and used on the same day during normal theme park operating hours." which lead me to beleive that you did have to use all the credits in one day.
Running some calculations with the BOGO50% offer I was planning to aim for entrees over $13 and snacks/drinks over $3. Obviously the higher the price the better the 'value' you get out of the deal.

The T&C state "with presentation of a valid Annual or Seasonal Pass." So I think that means all levels.

Haha, I feel dumb for missing that. I swear I read several articles about it where it wasn't mentioned. Anyway, thank you!

Universal has a lot of links to conditions. Sometimes you really have to look for them.

Thank you for the useful information. We've never used meal plan at Uni but with this deal we will.
The T&C state "If purchasing two (2) Dining Plans, both Dining Plans must be purchased and used on the same day during normal theme park operating hours." which lead me to beleive that you did have to use all the credits in one day.
Running some calculations with the BOGO50% offer I was planning to aim for entrees over $13 and snacks/drinks over $3. Obviously the higher the price the better the 'value' you get out of the deal.

The T&C state "with presentation of a valid Annual or Seasonal Pass." So I think that means all levels.

I wonder how they will regulate the usage since that isn't the norm for the regular dining plan. We need a guinea pig, lol.

I'll be there solo, can one person use the entitlements from both plans?

Thanks!

I called GS trying to dig a little deeper into the TOS and having to use all the credits in one day. She couldn't say how the system will know that the QS plans you just bought will expire that day. The other people in the park buying QS without AP won't have expiring plans. She led me to believe the entitlements may last past the day of purchase, but don't bet on it!

My plan is to buy one day at a time and test it the first day by leaving a drink or two behind and see if it's available to use the next day.

Can anyone tell me if the combo meals work on the QS plan? TouringPlans.com says even a combo meal that includes a salad or milkshake can be used as an entree. Thanks :)

The same T&C were there last year and we were able to use the various credits on different days. Of course, your mileage may vary...
This. It's said it the last 2 years they've had it and it simply works the whole time. They don't even have a "separate" card or ring up for it- it's just a discount applied at the end to normal QS dining. You'll be fine. But like @biochemgirl said- just buy two and leave a drink behind and test for yourself.

Last year the following Potter drinks counted as drinks: lemonade, pumpkin juice and peach fizz.
These were snacks: The orange fizz, Grean Tea, and Butterbeer.

Butterbeer at $6.99 is the best value for snack. Also- Childrens meals can be bought for BOGO50%- although unadvertised. They are 14.99, so 22.49 for the BOGO. After two butterbeers that makes 4 drinks and 2 kids entrees a measly $8.49. Can't beat that.

Best "maximization" would be:
Rib Platter @ 3 Broomsticks @ $16.99
w/ Pumpkin Juice @ $4.50
Drink: Gilly Water @ $4.50
Snack: Butterbeer @ $6.99

Potential of $33 (x2) - $66 for $37.50

But even eating what you want, you'll come out ahead almost every time. The only downside is that it's a complete PITA to handle all the dining cards- in particular if youre a family a four and have kids credits too. You'll end up with a dozen+ cards you're shuffling around. I carry a Sharpee and mark each card with a "E, D, S" for Entree, Drink, Snack- then I mark it off when I use it. Otherwise, you'll have no idea.
Where Universal trumps Disney in value for dining plan (significantly with this deal)- Disney handles the IT/data management 100000x better. Let's not mention the Room key (I have to show for early entry), Express Pass and Park pass on top of it all.

Can anyone tell me if the combo meals work on the QS plan? TouringPlans.com says even a combo meal that includes a salad or milkshake can be used as an entree. Thanks :)
Yes- it counts as entree + drink. You'd still have an additional "drink" and "snack" credit leftover. Volcano Bay has Milkshakes or Icee combos as well that are entree/drink.

Last edited:
Does the Dining Plan work at Volcano Bay?

Also, the apple cider and pear cider are meal drinks in HP.

Does the Dining Plan work at Volcano Bay?

Also, the apple cider and pear cider are meal drinks in HP.
Yes. Not in the Cabanas- but for the restaurants. Also most meals have combos with Shakes or Icees to use as the "meal drink" portion of the entree (not the individual drink credit)

Yes. Not in the Cabanas- but for the restaurants. Also most meals have combos with Shakes or Icees to use as the "meal drink" portion of the entree (not the individual drink credit)

Ohhhh, THAT sounds like a great deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!