All Work and a Little Play Makes Jen a Happy Girl!

jenseib

Mommy to Claire
Hello all!

I have been MIA for a while and just haven’t had time to write about my most recent trips. I decided today to make a change and get back to writing! I have all the pictures edited for this one, so writing it shouldn’t take me too long!

This trip was a work trip. As some of you know, I sometimes travel for work and usually they include a fun destination. I have times where it can be incredibly boring just like any work related trip, but usually my work trips have some fun thrown in…either by me adding to it or the vendor itself having some fun surprises.

This trip took place Nov. 12 -17, 2017. I had the option of extending it through Nov. 19, but my family had a trip planned for NYC starting on Nov. 21, so I decided it was best to be home a few days before flying away once again.

I’ll start with the boring part of how this trip came to be without going into all the nitty gritty details.

For this conference I was attending as a “Star”, which means I was selected to attend. Without getting too detailed, several people wrote recommendations about me and I was selected to join “Cruise World” in Fort Lauderdale. This conference consisted of classes and talks from many of the higher ups from different cruise lines for Nov. 15-17. Being a Star meant that you would have to attend all events offered as well as so many select classes. I had to arrive by noon on the 15th and I had to stay till at least 3 PM on the 17th. At an extra cost, I could have elected to stay until the 19th to go on several ship tours…which I would have loved to do, but again, I had a family trip coming up the next week and I was also trying to save money.

I did luck out however! They then announced they were selecting 14 Stars to come in early and do a tour of Fort Lauderdale and see things that the city offers and several of the hotels as well. I was shocked when I was selected as one of the 14! That meant I would now need to arrive on the 12th and the tours would start very early on the 13th.

I booked my flights and I have a ton of points with Southwest so of course I decided to fly with them. Even though my flight is technically free when flying with points, I do try to be savvy with how I use them. I found a few direct flights, which made me happy and the cheapest one was for very early in the AM, 5:30 AM to be exact. I booked it. That would mean I would have a day to just relax in the warmth before all the touring began.

When looking at flights home, there was one that left 4:55 on the 17th. Since I was supposed to attend the conference until 3, it might cut it short, but I do have TSA precheck, so I felt confident I would make it. Otherwise I would need to stay an additional night, which I really didn’t want to do. I did contact the Star leader and she assured me I would be able to leave a little early to catch my flight.

The next thing to figure out was transportation. At first no transportation was going to be included to any of the hotels.

My first stay was going to be at the Marriott Pompano Beach Resort and Spa. After looking at different shuttle options and Lyft and Uber, I figured it was going to be about $50ish to get there.

I inquired to Caitlan, who was our contact and in charge of this portion, and asked about the best way to get to the hotel and she let me know they were now arranging for private transfers! AWESOME!!! I just had to give her my flight number and other info.

Later we were then informed that we would get a voucher for lunch that first day too if we arrived by a certain time. Another plus!

They would get us over to Cruise World in time on the correct date and from there we could go to our hotels after the day’s conferences. Cruise World had 3 hotels it was using and I chose the closest one that was in walking distance and I also had several friends staying there as well.

I now had everything set and I just had to pack and decide on what this fluffy gal has that still fits and looks professional enough. LOL….Yeah I keep gaining weight and I was worried about finding clothes that I didn’t look like a total moose in.

I was excited and a bit nervous to meet new people. This would be the first time I went to a conference without knowing anyone very well (besides a few facebook posts for a few weeks beforehand) and I hoped I would fit in and not be a total loser. I was also excited to meet up with several of my other friends later in the week. It was going to be so nice to see them again.

And let’s get this things started!!!!!

hello6 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I am here. I am looking forward to reading all about it. I am attending my first CLIA conference in May and have applied for one of 22 places that are sponsored by Royal Caribbean. Now I have to wait not so patiently until 9th April to find out if I have been successful. It will be interesting to see how the two events compare.

Corinna

Never want to miss a Jennifer TR! So here I am and now starting to read.

Yay!!!!!

I am here. I am looking forward to reading all about it. I am attending my first CLIA conference in May and have applied for one of 22 places that are sponsored by Royal Caribbean. Now I have to wait not so patiently until 9th April to find out if I have been successful. It will be interesting to see how the two events compare.

Corinna

Awesome. I looked at the US one but it will interfere with our Washington DC trip for Claire's class. I have thought about signing up for my MCC and going to that will give a lot of credits towards the certification.

Welcome!

Signing on! :)

Glad you made it early!

Nov. 11, 2017, Saturday

I usually like to fly out of Columbus because often the prices are a bit cheaper and they typically offer some direct flights to places I am going….and the airport is small!

My sister also lives there, so I can go the night before and spend the night with no extra costs. She usually can take me to the airport as well, so that makes it nice. With my flight coming home on Friday night it worked out well too as she was actually coming to Toledo for the weekend. If I had stayed till Sat and flew home she would have not been able to pick me up and I would have had to leave my car at the airport.

I left my home late afternoon and headed the 2 ½ hours to my sister’s house. My sister had told me my Aunt and Uncle wanted to go out to dinner with us, so that sounded like a nice plan. She made some reservations for later that evening. I usually try to time to get to her house not too long after she gets home from work.

I arrived and we took my bags in the house and soon were heading out to meet my Aunt and Uncle for dinner. I believe we ate at a Japanese place at the nearby mall and the food was good, but I did not take any pictures.

We had a nice evening of conversation and food and then it was time to head back to Amanda’s house. Sadly the weather was chilly so we couldn’t take an evening walk. We like to do that when it is warmer. I was happy to be heading south where it would be at least a bit warmer than home, though rain had been forecasted for most of the week.

We watched some tv and I called home as well to let the family know I had arrived and all was good. I went to bed knowing that I rarely sleep well before traveling. I have all sorts of thoughts going through my mind and a bit of anxiety and it is rare that I get a good night’s sleep before flying.

I"m here! So happy for another TR. Congrats on being an extra special Star! :)

Jill in CO

Joining in! It has been a while since you have had a trip report! Looking forward to it!

I"m here! So happy for another TR. Congrats on being an extra special Star! :)

Jill in CO

Thanks. It was really a nice trip all around and being a Star was really nice. We got special perks that others who just came to attend didn't.

Joining in! It has been a while since you have had a trip report! Looking forward to it!

Hello! I wish I had more trips in my future! LOL. The winter is really getting to me this year. This is the first year in several where I haven't made a trip to the south in Feb or March and my body knows it!

Nov. 12, 2017, Sunday

I was up very early and we headed off to the airport! I have TSA precheck but the line was actually kind of long. Luckily it’s a small airport! I watched those in the non precheck line and I still got through faster, but not by much.

Last summer, Claire and I took a 5:30 flight to Florida and I was amazed at all the people who were just as crazy as us to fly that early. It was the same case this time around too.

I found my gate and settled in and plugged my phone in and read some magazines and people watched. I saw a lot of people flying in for cruises and I did some listening as well as groups of people talked about their upcoming vacations. It made me long to go on a cruise!

As the time got closer to boarding, I packed up my belongings and headed to the restroom and then waited to get in line to board. Once in line, there was a lady a few people behind me that was elderly and we got to talking along with a few others. She ended up sitting next to me on the plane and she was going to sell her mother’s home as her mother had died and it was finally time to close on her condo. She said she had to pack up some things and finally get all taken care of. She was such a nice lady and we talked quite a bit. She was flying back on the same flight as I coming home, so there was a chance we would see each other again at the end of the week.

When flying early you get to see the sun come up.

hello15 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I kept noticing some orbs in the sky and I wondered if it was a reflection on the window. My new friend told me that it was Jupiter and Venus and that they were supposed to be seen for a few days. In the picture above you can see a light in the sky and below it is a very faint 2nd light….I took several pictures but it just couldn’t capture what I saw.

hello16 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I love to look at the clouds from above!

hello17 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The flight was uneventful …. Except of course for seeing the planets….and soon we were landing in Ft. Lauderdale!

I exited the plane and made my way out. There was some construction going on and I had to weave in and out of people waiting to go through security coming in. EEK! I hope it’s not that bad when I go home. The lines were REALLY long!

I found a guy holding a sign up with my name. I feel famous! I didn’t think to take a picture…and I should have. I probably will never have anyone doing that for me again.

He said the bags hadn’t started coming through yet, so I told him I was going to run outside a minute and would be back shortly.

AHHHHH!!!! I smell Florida!

hello18 by Jenseib, on Flickr

You all know that smell. There is just something so different and wonderful about the smell! I was so happy to be in warm weather and sunshine. I could go for a dose right now. Now our winter hasn’t been as bad as some have been having, but it still seems like it is dragging on. The last week or so we have had temps in the 40’s but we have also had winds from the north east which drops the wind chill to the low 30’s. If we didn’t have the wind, we would have some nice days….and I just need some nice days for my mental health!

I headed back in and we found they moved to another carrousel for our bags to come out, so we headed that way. My bag came out and we headed off to the parking garage to get in my chauffeured vehicle. My Memory is fading, but I believe I had an SUV of some sort.

And we’re off!

hello19 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was about a 30 minute ride and I snapped pictures along the way.

hello7 by Jenseib, on Flickr

hello8 by Jenseib, on Flickr

hello9 by Jenseib, on Flickr

hello10 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Some of my pictures may be out of order as I forgot to sync my phone and camera to the same time zone. I’ll do my best at figuring out where they go.

hello11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

hello12 by Jenseib, on Flickr

hello13 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Soon we were pulling up to the Marriott and we unloaded my bags and I tipped and thanked my driver and headed in to check in. I was REALLY hoping my room would be ready as I was hoping to nap. No such luck!

They did check me in and took my bags and I just kept a day bag to keep with me with swimsuit and other needs. At first the gal said I was to get a breakfast and lunch voucher. I wasn’t sure if she was right or not because I was only told about a lunch voucher. She checked with someone else and found she was wrong…it was just a lunch voucher. And she gave me a card for beach chairs and towels and told me she would text me when the room was ready.

I knew I was the only there at this point as the next ones would arrive a couple of hours after me and then throughout the day others would arrive….some coming in basically in the middle of the night.

I was starving now and I needed to get some food, so I headed to the hotel restaurant. I found that many of the staff were just not with it there. I was waiting for a table and they told me to have a seat….then the gal went off and several more families arrived and a guy came up and sat them all. I spoke up when he came back and told him I had been waiting before all of them and was told to wait till a table opened. He apologized and they seated me at a table behind a pole. UGH! I was getting hangry…and those that know me…I don’t do well when I am hangry.

See the empty table by that pole…that’s where I was seated.

marriott1 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I took a look at the menu and everything was pricey, which can be expected at a beach resort hotel. I decided on home fries and a bagel and some tomato juice.

I had a frazzled waitress who seemed to keep forgetting about me. She never asked if I wanted more juice and never gave me water and I was so thirsty. That made me a little annoyed. She brought my food and I had to flag her down for ketchup.

marriott21 by Jenseib, on Flickr

The bagel was yummy, and the home fries were just ok. They had vegetables in them and had I known that I would have not ordered them. The peppers had a very strong taste and I couldn’t eat all of it because of that.

Then I waited and waited for my bill. My gal had totally disappeared now. I just wanted to leave and head to the beach. I was annoyed because this breakfast was going to be about $15 plus tip and the service was awful. They did have a buffet too but I didn’t want to spend that amount and I didn’t want a full meal. I finally waved down another server and she went and found my server who brought me my check. I was pleasantly surprised when my bill was only $5 and some change! She didn’t charge me for the juice or the bagel. OK, I take back all my nasty thoughts! LOL!

I paid the bill and headed out and stopped at the water cooler and downed some water.

I then stopped at the desk and asked if there was a store within walking distance where I could get some diet coke and there wasn’t. They told me I could get some from the little snack bar store area, but of course there wasn’t any diet pop in the cooler. They went and found some for me and stocked it back up.

I headed off to the restroom and changed into my swim suit and then headed outside and took a look at the pool and beach!

marriott22 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott23 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott24 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I had to go to the little booth and they got me my towel and cushions for the beach chairs.

marriott25 by Jenseib, on Flickr

It was REALLY SUPER windy and I asked if this was normal for this time of year and they said it could be windy, but it was more than normal.

I plopped on my beach chair and enjoyed the few of all the kite surfers.

marriott26 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott27 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott2 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott3 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Love the sand!

marriott28 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott30 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott31 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A little video of my view.

https://www.facebook.com/jenseib/videos/vb.1256074446/10215021240705225/?type=3

I took a nap then on the lounger. The weather was warm but not horribly hot and I did get a little bit of sun burnt on my arms and nose while sleeping. It felt good to get some rest and the best place for a nap is on the beach!!!!

I did walk up and down the beach a bit too and collected some shells and stones.

marriott32 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott33 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott34 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott35 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott36 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I tried to get a little artsy with some of my shots.

marriott37 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott38 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott39 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott40 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott41 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott42 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott43 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott44 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott45 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott46 by Jenseib, on Flickr

A look back at the hotel.

marriott47 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott48 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott49 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I loved watching the waves.

marriott50 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott51 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott52 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott53 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott54 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott56 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I have no clue why it foams, but I thought it was neat.

marriott57 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I found a neat little rock.

marriott60 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott61 by Jenseib, on Flickr

I finally got a text that my room was ready so I grabbed my stuff and headed inside to get my bags and off to my room!

marriott29 by Jenseib, on Flickr

marriott11 by Jenseib, on Flickr

Early flights :faint: I know the drill, but then you get a lot more time at your destination, so it's worth it. Thankfully our airport is super tiny and we never arrive more than 45 minutes before the plane leaves. Everything has its pros and cons. ;)

Yeah for an uneventful flight and a chatty neighbour. Makes the time fly even faster.

Ah ......... Fort Lauderdale! Been there twice - not the most impressive city and no need to return any time soon for us.

But the Marriott looks nice. LOVE all the beach photos ...... I take a lot of them too. Where is the "Jen in a swimsuit" selfie?? :goodvibes Can't wait to see photos of your room.

Early flights :faint: I know the drill, but then you get a lot more time at your destination, so it's worth it. Thankfully our airport is super tiny and we never arrive more than 45 minutes before the plane leaves. Everything has its pros and cons. ;)

It's rough getting up so early, but I am usually happy in the end that I booked the early flight down. Now coming home...that's a different story!

Yeah for an uneventful flight and a chatty neighbour. Makes the time fly even faster.

The flight did seem to go fast! And it was nice not having to fight Claire for the window seat!

Ah ......... Fort Lauderdale! Been there twice - not the most impressive city and no need to return any time soon for us.

I remember you writing about Ft. L in one of your reports. There are definitely good and bad areas to stay. My hotel was nice, but honestly I wouldn't pick that location to stay if I wanted to do other things. But the beach was nice.

When my mom and I stayed a few years ago, we were not on the beach and our area was not the greatest, but we did have a car and were able to get out and do things. There is a lot to offer in the area and of course it is a huge cruise port, so it is great to see options to stay at before or after cruising.

But the Marriott looks nice. LOVE all the beach photos ...... I take a lot of them too. Where is the "Jen in a swimsuit" selfie?? :goodvibes Can't wait to see photos of your room

The beach was nice and I rarely ever stay at a beach hotel. That kind of vacation would bore Skip to death and really, Claire wouldn't like it so much either and I could only handle a couple days. I need some action.

Um no! No need for any swimsuit selfies of me. hahahaha

Yay!! A new report. I love Florida beaches. Can't wait to hear more!

Thanks for joining in!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter