All You Need is Love: an offsite, non-Disney PTR (counting down to May 2018)

It might be the antibiotic upsetting your stomach, Gina. Try taking it with a bit of food and see if it helps:hug:

What a cool opportunity for your daughter!! She must be SO excited! Does it make you a little nervous to know she's venturing so far from home?

I wish I had considered a similar career path, back when I was young and had the energy to conquer the world :rolleyes:. I guess it just wasn't my destiny. Of course, my school didn't offer such amazing trips, either!!

I'm sure I'll be sick with worry while she's there. But she's the type of kid that will sign up for some volunteer thing in an exotic country (she has tried already....lol) so I figure since we can't take her to any of these places, I'd rather she get some experience travelling in different countries with a group and teachers before she jet sets everywhere!

She's been working hard and saving her money for it. We told her she needs to pay for it as we've paid a bundle for her sports stuff already, plus saving for her education, so she's on her own for this!

It might be the antibiotic upsetting your stomach, Gina. Try taking it with a bit of food and see if it helps:hug:

I agree.....pretty sure the medication was the culprit. The specific drug they put me on was a six day script, with a large amount taken the first day (six doses), and gradually decreasing until the final day (one dose). The first three days were doozies, but now that I'm winding down, its not nearly so bad. And my cough is almost gone! :cheer2: So it was worth the discomfort :thumbsup2.

I'm sure I'll be sick with worry while she's there. But she's the type of kid that will sign up for some volunteer thing in an exotic country (she has tried already....lol) so I figure since we can't take her to any of these places, I'd rather she get some experience travelling in different countries with a group and teachers before she jet sets everywhere!

She's been working hard and saving her money for it. We told her she needs to pay for it as we've paid a bundle for her sports stuff already, plus saving for her education, so she's on her own for this!

I think its fantastic that your daughter has such an adventurous spirit. The world is a great big place and just waiting to be explored....She's young and healthy and in the perfect stage of her life to have these awesome experiences. She's going to learn so much on her travels. Kudos to you to letting her spread her wings and fly! That's not easy for us mommas, whose first instinct is to want to hold their hands until they're 30 ;).

Sending some hugs over on here as well! Hopefully you get well soon. Those steroid pill packs are NOT fun. I'm quite use to them and it never gets easier.

Which part of Michigan do you hail from? Maybe we're neighbors? ;)

Grand Rapids area so not quite neighbors, unfortunately! We had to drive to DTW for our first couple of trips, but we're thrilled to now have Southwest at our airport and I can't get over how much less stressful it makes the travel days to be 15 minutes from the airport. My sister's family is in Ann Arbor and they struggled with getting nonstops from DTW last year too, it's kind of surprising for such a big airport.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. And that there some excitement for your trip again. That can't be easy knowing it's a radically changed trip-but it's to a place you love and enjoy and are familiar with. I'm sure that helps!

Did you see the meteor that was over Detroit? Been all over news!

Grand Rapids area so not quite neighbors, unfortunately! We had to drive to DTW for our first couple of trips, but we're thrilled to now have Southwest at our airport and I can't get over how much less stressful it makes the travel days to be 15 minutes from the airport. My sister's family is in Ann Arbor and they struggled with getting nonstops from DTW last year too, it's kind of surprising for such a big airport.
Ack hit reply too fast! I used to live in Grand Rapids- went to high school in Caledonia! (for a couple years anyway until we moved to St. Louis).

Ack hit reply too fast! I used to live in Grand Rapids- went to high school in Caledonia! (for a couple years anyway until we moved to St. Louis).
Hello all! I grew up in South Bend which is just two hours South of you guys. Have visited Grand Rapids a few times as well.

So sorry to hear about your nephew :sad1:. That sounds like it's got to be a tough one for your whole family. Sending you a big hug :hug:. I hope he made out okay in court, and that his parents (your sister? brother?) are doing alright under the circumstances.

Sounds like you NEED that vacation badly, my friend. That, and a fruity margarita or two with little coloured umbrellas peeking out of them.
Thanks. This has been the worst week of my life. I now understand what people mean when they say they are emotionally exhausted. I've lost weight, haven't slept more than 3-4 hours a night, have had a constant stomach ache and just replay it all constantly in my head. It's my brother's son and the family is a mess. I've known for a long time about my nephew's issues. However, they were trying to keep it to themselves and just glossed over it in order not to burden me or my family. Things took a very bad turn last week and I was asked if I could help. In the process of us formulating some plans I had to be informed of the ugly truth. Things did not go as we had hoped in court and to be completely honest I can't help but think that maybe this is for the best. Things will either get better or worse as a result of this latest event but I guess this is just the path it's meant to take.

There was no way I could have gone on vacation without spending every minute worrying. Now I will not.

Last edited:
That was a lot to catch up on, I'll be honest I forgot you'd started the PTR, oops. Sorry to hear about Jake but agree that it's better to have done it now. It's not an excuse but she may have been surprised at the proposal and some women just won't say no in that situation because of how awkward that would be. Either way of doing it if you aren't "feeling it" is bad and it's not good for either of them that she didn't give him a reason. I would think that would be bothering her as well but I don't understand how someone can walk away without at least some explanation.

I guess being a healthy, effective communicator isn't everyone's gifting......though I have to wonder why schools don't teach those skills right alongside math, science and art.

I understand this but I don't see how schools could ever teach these skills simply because we all communicate differently and not everyone is comfortable sharing their feelings or themselves with anyone. I tend to compartmentalize a bit in that I don't necessarily talk about everything or I wait until I've worked through things and then talk about it. But I also do it to an extent with my friends in that there are things I'll talk with friend a but not friend m and I won't talk about this with either of them but will to friend f. Partly because it's the dynamics and the history of the friendship, how long we've known each other, what we've already gone through and know about each other and not wanting to put it all on one person. On the flip side there's stuff that I'll post on here with you all, because I'm comfortable but I also don't have the same history, so it's safe. I think I've only mentioned the above to friend a and no one else.

I'm excited to read about your May trip, it makes me think I should do stuff outside of Disney for my 9 day trip but since I don't want to do Universal or get a car and will be solo some, I'm kind of looking forward to 9 days in the bubble in Nov. I may uber to one of the outlets to check out the disney outlet and the other stuff but I'm not sure which is the better option.

Sending some hugs over on here as well! Hopefully you get well soon. Those steroid pill packs are NOT fun. I'm quite use to them and it never gets easier.

Thank you Callie :goodvibes. I took the last dosage this morning, but the cough/mucous/cold still lingers on :(. When I saw the doctor last Saturday, he assured me I'd be 100% after taking the 6-day script. I'm thinking I may be back at the clinic again before the weekend is over, unless I see a significant improvement.

I've heard great things about Grand Rapids, but still haven't made it there to explore just yet. Hopefully this summer :thumbsup2. It's only a two hour drive from here, so definitely workable for a day trip or weekend getaway!

Glad to hear you are feeling better. And that there some excitement for your trip again. That can't be easy knowing it's a radically changed trip-but it's to a place you love and enjoy and are familiar with. I'm sure that helps!

Did you see the meteor that was over Detroit? Been all over news!

I didn't see the meteor shower, but EVERYONE is a-twitter about it. I will admit, my meteor knowledge is minimal at best, but ..... don't meteorologists generally know when something that noteworthy is heading our way? :confused3 I'm a bit baffled that it seemed to, quite literally, come out of nowhere. It's super cool but rather unsettling!

Hello all! I grew up in South Bend which is just two hours South of you guys. Have visited Grand Rapids a few times as well.

Too fun, we're in Forest Hills but my best friend's kids go to Caledonia!

Well, now I'm feeling like the ONLY person who hasn't been to Grand Rapids :rotfl:. I've been missing out!!

Thanks. This has been the worst week of my life. I now understand what people mean when they say they are emotionally exhausted. I've lost weight, haven't slept more than 3-4 hours a night, have had a constant stomach ache and just replay it all constantly in my head. It's my brother's son and the family is a mess. I've known for a long time about my nephew's issues. However, they were trying to keep it to themselves and just glossed over it in order not to burden me or my family. Things took a very bad turn last week and I was asked if I could help. In the process of us formulating some plans I had to be informed of the ugly truth. Things did not go as we had hoped in court and to be completely honest I can't help but think that maybe this is for the best. Things will either get better or worse as a result of this latest event but I guess this is just the path it's meant to take.

There was no way I could have gone on vacation without spending every minute worrying. Now I will not.

Aw man, I am so sorry to hear that :sad1:. Sending you a big hug across the miles :hug:. It is SO hard to see the lives of people we love turned upside down, and I can't even imagine the pain that your family is enduring. I hope it helps to know that you, your brother and your nephew are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Your getaway, under the circumstances, cannot come soon enough.

That was a lot to catch up on, I'll be honest I forgot you'd started the PTR, oops. Sorry to hear about Jake but agree that it's better to have done it now. It's not an excuse but she may have been surprised at the proposal and some women just won't say no in that situation because of how awkward that would be. Either way of doing it if you aren't "feeling it" is bad and it's not good for either of them that she didn't give him a reason. I would think that would be bothering her as well but I don't understand how someone can walk away without at least some explanation.

I understand this but I don't see how schools could ever teach these skills simply because we all communicate differently and not everyone is comfortable sharing their feelings or themselves with anyone. I tend to compartmentalize a bit in that I don't necessarily talk about everything or I wait until I've worked through things and then talk about it. But I also do it to an extent with my friends in that there are things I'll talk with friend a but not friend m and I won't talk about this with either of them but will to friend f. Partly because it's the dynamics and the history of the friendship, how long we've known each other, what we've already gone through and know about each other and not wanting to put it all on one person. On the flip side there's stuff that I'll post on here with you all, because I'm comfortable but I also don't have the same history, so it's safe. I think I've only mentioned the above to friend a and no one else.

I'm excited to read about your May trip, it makes me think I should do stuff outside of Disney for my 9 day trip but since I don't want to do Universal or get a car and will be solo some, I'm kind of looking forward to 9 days in the bubble in Nov. I may uber to one of the outlets to check out the disney outlet and the other stuff but I'm not sure which is the better option.

I guess I don't see teaching communication skills to introverts any differently (or less effective) as teaching physical education to the non-athletically inclined. Some will excel, others will find it a challenge, but hopefully the positive lessons and messages will be beneficial over the long term. Lord knows gym class was not my finest hour :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:.

I think the general consensus is that the best Disney outlet is in the Premium Outlets on Vineland (unless that's changed in the last year or so). The one in the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores has never impressed me much......it seems to have lots of stuffies and kids t-shirts, but not much more (and occasionally, we've stopped in to find the place darn near empty). We've used Uber multiple times now (to Capone's, to Discovery Cove) and find it a GREAT way of getting around town at a very reasonable price. I'm not sure if we've just been super lucky or what, but we've had excellent drivers and can't offer a single bit of criticism. If I were going solo on a trip, you can bet your boots that's how I'd be getting from place to place offsite :thumbsup2.

So I definitely owe you all a decent update.....we had some "life" stuff happening this week that found my evenings booked up with unusual commitments and my focus firmly redirected elsewhere. I've definitely dropped the ball where this trip report is concerned, but hopefully I'll get back on track this weekend. I literally haven't even ran a quote for a car rental since......last Sunday? I'm not too concerned that I've missed out on any substantial rate drop (prices have been boringly steady since I made the initial reservation) but as time marches on, I need to be more diligent on keeping on top of that.

I did see on the Capone's Facebook page that prices are increasing as of February 1st. Steve and I need to have a conversation before Monday about whether or not he wants that dinner show included in our May plans, and if the answer is yes, I'll purchase the tickets before the price hike goes into effect. I don't think it's a substantial or shocking increase by any stretch, but a penny saved is a penny earned, right? Honestly, we've gone on the last 4 trips and I'd be quite content to take a break from it this go around, but I'm absolutely agreeable to a fifth visit if its important to Steve. I will let him make that final call.

We are hoping to head back to Canada next weekend for a visit with Jake, assuming Mother Nature cooperates and the weather is good for travelling ... he's got a rare weekend off, so it seems like the perfect opportunity for a few days together.

We're due for a warm up here in SE Michigan tomorrow and Sunday (temps in the 40's, woohoo! :woohoo:) so maybe that will help me kick this pesky cough and cold. I'm hoping we can get out for a nice long walk at one of the zoos while the sun is shining, and breathe in some fresh air for a couple of hours......in the middle of winter, there's no better medicine for the body AND the soul ::yes::.

As of today, the countdown is at 105 days :banana:. I can't believe we'll be in double digits in less than a week :crazy2:.

Thank you Callie :goodvibes. I took the last dosage this morning, but the cough/mucous/cold still lingers on :(. When I saw the doctor last Saturday, he assured me I'd be 100% after taking the 6-day script. I'm thinking I may be back at the clinic again before the weekend is over, unless I see a significant improvement.

I've heard great things about Grand Rapids, but still haven't made it there to explore just yet. Hopefully this summer :thumbsup2. It's only a two hour drive from here, so definitely workable for a day trip or weekend getaway!

I didn't see the meteor shower, but EVERYONE is a-twitter about it. I will admit, my meteor knowledge is minimal at best, but ..... don't meteorologists generally know when something that noteworthy is heading our way? :confused3 I'm a bit baffled that it seemed to, quite literally, come out of nowhere. It's super cool but rather unsettling!

Well, now I'm feeling like the ONLY person who hasn't been to Grand Rapids :rotfl:. I've been missing out!!

Aw man, I am so sorry to hear that :sad1:. Sending you a big hug across the miles :hug:. It is SO hard to see the lives of people we love turned upside down, and I can't even imagine the pain that your family is enduring. I hope it helps to know that you, your brother and your nephew are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I guess I don't see teaching communication skills to introverts any differently (or less effective) as teaching physical education to the non-athletically inclined. Some will excel, others will find it a challenge, but hopefully the positive lessons and messages will be beneficial over the long term. Lord knows gym class was not my finest hour :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:.

I think the general consensus is that the best Disney outlet is in the Premium Outlets on Vineland (unless that's changed in the last year or so). The one in the Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores has never impressed me much......it seems to have lots of stuffies and kids t-shirts, but not much more (and occasionally, we've stopped in to find the place darn near empty). We've used Uber multiple times now (to Capone's, to Discovery Cove) and find it a GREAT way of getting around town at a very reasonable price. I'm not sure if we've just been super lucky or what, but we've had excellent drivers and can't offer a single bit of criticism. If I were going solo on a trip, you can bet your boots that's how I'd be getting from place to place offsite :thumbsup2.

That is what I've heard about the outlets. We used uber put last trip to get to/from a few places and it was good. I don't have any worries about doing it alone.

I think teaching to introverts isn't the issue, I think it's not about communication style but how you are emotionally and mentally. I'm an only child so I spent a lot of time alone and learned how to process stuff myself. There's some stuff I don't feel like I should bother others with because they won't care. That's were a lot of it comes in, not my inability to talk to anyone anywhere. But in this situation I also know it should have been discussed and it's not something to ignore. I would think most, and her given her education, would also know that. There's either embarrassment or shame in her reason and she's protecting herself I imagine which makes sense but isn't ok in this case. It's why ghosting is such crap unless you've o my been on 1 to 2 dates, then it's just easier ☺

a penny saved is a penny earned, right?

At the risk of sounding pedantic (oh who am I kidding, I'm a pedant if ever there was one, hush toi DDS), a penny saved is more like 1.25 to 1.3 pennies earned. When taking into effect taxation, you have to earn that much to get a penny to save.

Just thought you out to know... :crazy:

I must be feeling that hug because I'm feeling better today. Thank you!!!!! This one was a lulu for sure. I realize exactly how lucky I am and I will never again complain that my life is boring. Boring is exactly what we should all be so lucky to have.

I feel a little guilty for going away now but......only 16 more sleeps.

I finally got back to work today but of course I got the all clear at nearly 1pm when I had to go and see GC at 3pm. So I furiously worked for those two hours and got a little bit done and GC was good about me arriving late. I'm heading in tomorrow and will work away as late as possible....might work Sunday too.

IMG_2245.JPG I hope you are out and about in this beautiful weather. This is my only free weekend before we leave ( I have to judge at skating competitions the next two weekends) I was hoping to try the new skating trail under the Gardener but instead I'm snuggling with my sick "little" boy (who will probably make me sick )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!