Allure of the Seas - is it too big?

dthogue

DIS Veteran
I have been on all the Disney ships as well as RCCL Mariner and Freedom of the Seas. Currently booked on the Allure for October. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the ship is just too big? I am traveling solo and am looking forward to spending time on deck watching the sea go by (I have an inside cabin). I read somewhere that its hard to see the ocean on this ship? Is that true? or are there decks that are open to the ocean? I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating city for 7 days!

Tammy

I had sailed every class Royal had to offer except Oasis until this past October. I feared it was too big with too many people. After sailing aboard her to Western Caribbean, I am happy to report I was wrong. I was amazed at the engineering of the ship with its many diverse venues and activities. I never felt crowded or stuck inside. There are plenty of places to watch the sea as that is one of my favorite things to do after I drop the kids at their club. The Radiance class is still my favorite, but I would sail this ship again without hesitation. The only problem for me was with young kids, the kids club never seemed to be nearby. Enjoy!

Oh my gosh no. We did Freedom and then did Oasis (sister to Allure). There are so many places to sit and watch the ocean, watch people etc that you can find a new spot each day, more than once a day. I loved the size because it never felt crowded. On Freedom we could never find deck chairs, or lounges in the adult section. It always felt crowded. Didn't have that experience at all on Oasis. We are now booked for Harmony.

The key is to research the cruise sites and google to find everyone's little spots. Some are tucked away and you don't even realize they are there. They are like little treasures. Some are obvious like the adult solarium, get there early for a nice cushy lounger facing the ocean.

One day our group went snorkeling, and I stayed behind with DS (disabled) and we wandered all over. He likes quiet. We found some great spots. For awhile we sat in a few different spots around the running track because at some wide spots they had chairs and loungers. No one knew it was there we hardly saw a soul. The upper decks have all kinds of loungers everywhere. Look for some of the smaller decks in front of the ship, most the activity is in back.

11987199_10153278902744102_6954673925015026030_n.jpg 11998907_10153281486794102_6980844313631014278_n.jpg 12049212_10153281499894102_1754963249526364955_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have been on all the Disney ships as well as RCCL Mariner and Freedom of the Seas. Currently booked on the Allure for October. I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the ship is just too big? I am traveling solo and am looking forward to spending time on deck watching the sea go by (I have an inside cabin). I read somewhere that its hard to see the ocean on this ship? Is that true? or are there decks that are open to the ocean? I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating city for 7 days!

Tammy

So, I guess I am in the minority that thinks, Yes, it is too big. I love the Freedom as well as some of the smaller RCCL ships, but Allure was too much for me. I felt like some of the service gets lost with so many people and there is so much going on, I always felt like I was missing stuff. But as to your specific question, it is not hard at all to see the ocean! You will find many places around the decks where you can sit and watch the world (ocean) go by. If you are inside on the Promenade, you will get that city feel, but that is true of almost all of the ships with the Promenade.

So, I guess I am in the minority that thinks, Yes, it is too big. I love the Freedom as well as some of the smaller RCCL ships, but Allure was too much for me. I felt like some of the service gets lost with so many people and there is so much going on, I always felt like I was missing stuff. But as to your specific question, it is not hard at all to see the ocean! You will find many places around the decks where you can sit and watch the world (ocean) go by. If you are inside on the Promenade, you will get that city feel, but that is true of almost all of the ships with the Promenade.
I think bumbershoot is also not a fan of the Oasis class, so you're not alone AND in quality company to boot.

For me, I love the Oasis class ships, so obviously Allure is fine for me. But when I first went on the ship, I did find it a bit overwhelming, and it took a day or two before I was fully comfortable with the Allure.

We've sailed on the Oasis a couple of times and have another one booked. We've also sailed on at least 3 of RCL's smaller ships.
I'm wondering if anyone thinks that the ship is just too big?
I guess some people might think its too big. We don't. We find it very manageable. It kind of has to be big to carry all those passengers. Think of it as just being NYC as compared to Baltimore.
I read somewhere that its hard to see the ocean on this ship? Is that true?
No, definitely not true. There are lots of places you can see the ocean.
I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating city for 7 days!
Well, you actually are. But there is so much to see and do on board the time will fly.

My one complaint of oasis class is it is harder to see the ocean. We said if we ever sail it again we will have a balcony. I really missed the normal deck 5 where you can sit and watch ocean go by.

That said, you still can see the ocean and the activities like water diving show are amazing and worth experiencing. But freedom class is definitely our preferred RCCL CLASS.

Its funny as we have Mariner booked and wonder if I'll find it too small (not 100% we'll keep this booking). We loved Allure and didn't find it too big at all, but we like the big ships. There are lots of people but it never felt crowded and it lets people spread out over activities, shows and areas. I definitely remember seeing the ocean, but since we came with kids, we aren't the types to just sit by the pool and watch the seas. At the end though you can see it (near rock wall, aqua theatre and other end at Flowrider).
Don't miss the Aqua shows and broadway show..and check out Central Park. Those in itself make the Oasis class so unique and special! We're booked on Symphony for a year out too and can't wait.

Its funny as we have Mariner booked and wonder if I'll find it too small (not 100% we'll keep this booking). We loved Allure and didn't find it too big at all, but we like the big ships. There are lots of people but it never felt crowded and it lets people spread out over activities, shows and areas. I definitely remember seeing the ocean, but since we came with kids, we aren't the types to just sit by the pool and watch the seas. At the end though you can see it (near rock wall, aqua theatre and other end at Flowrider).
Don't miss the Aqua shows and broadway show..and check out Central Park. Those in itself make the Oasis class so unique and special! We're booked on Symphony for a year out too and can't wait.

I have the Mariner booked twice already and I think that after her massive overhaul this April, you will find plenty to do! I can't wait for the laser tag, bamboo room, etc. I really like the size of the Freedom Class, and this is just a smidge smaller, so hopefully not too small.

I have the Mariner booked twice already and I think that after her massive overhaul this April, you will find plenty to do! I can't wait for the laser tag, bamboo room, etc. I really like the size of the Freedom Class, and this is just a smidge smaller, so hopefully not too small.

Yes the refurb looks very cool...and waterslides and flowrider as well. Thanks.

We only sailed the Oasis once, and will stick to smaller ships in the future. We have Radiance booked next on RCCL, to Hawaii.

We have Radiance booked next on RCCL, to Hawaii.
Just out of curiosity, is that from Seattle? Or is this a South Pacific repo? We did Sydney - Honolulu on the Radiance a few years ago.

We did Oasis last year and really enjoyed it. I agree with PP that there is so much going on that it felt like we were missing things at times, and I was glued to my compass to make sure we did what we wanted to do. And it was difficult to make advanced reservations for dining and shows because the times would often overlap or there was little availability. BUT I liked that there were so many options. We were never bored. Those that want to relax can certainly do that and those that want to keep busy can do that too, so there is something for everyone. We ate at all the restaurants we wanted to and saw all the shows we wanted to, and we think we saw the whole ship. We didn't feel like we missed out on any of that because of the size.

My dd and I sail on Allure in Sept. This will be my 4th cruise and my first of RCCL. I am sailing the Carnival Vista in May with my dh and I am looking forward to seeing the difference between the 2 ships/2 cruise lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!