Alternatives to Interstate 95

sharonel

Earning My Ears
We're driving to WDW in November from Toronto. From what I've heard most people use the I95, but it's incredibly busy, many trucks, etc.

Is there an alternative route people have used that are just as quick but not as busy/stressful?

Hi there,

I've never driven it, but a know a lot of Canadians swear by I75 - there's a much talked about book ("Driving the I75"?) to help along the way. Personally, I've never really noticed the traffic on 95 once we get past Washington, D.C. The outlet malls, Daytona Beach, Savannah, GA., and a fantastic seafood restaurant (www.dixiecrossroads.com) in Titusville near Cape Kennedy make it all worth while!

We drive I95 from Connecticut each year. We rarely hit traffic if we time it right. The goal is to drive through NYC, D.C., and Richmond during the night (before morning rush hour, after evening rush hour). The middle of the night is when we drive and we drive straight through!

Good luck!

I hate the I95 route for the exact same reason...too many trucks. :( My preferred route now is the I79/I77/I81 route but I don't know if I'd want to do it in November. You go through the mountains (which is why fewer trucks use it) and it's absolutely beautiful. But if there's snow or you have bad weather, it would would be extremely stressful. I would try the I75 route as posted above (but don't know if the truck traffic is any better that route). You could always drive down that route and choose which of the two routes you prefer for the trip back.

Enjoy your drive...I love driving to WDW but this year we're flying (DD can't miss too much school now that she's in Grade 11...our driving trips have always been in the summer).

I have only driven once and we took I-75. We drove straight through with no stops but there was alot of truck traffic when we went especially (sp) at night.

We are taking 79/77/95 this time on the way down leaving Oct 24th but since we are coming home Nov 7th we will take I-75 home.

For the Oct vets do you think we will hit bad weather late Oct. We thought we would be OK???

Also we aren't sure if we will drive straight through, we have heard there isn't alot of 24 hour gas stations on this route?? Anyone know?? Is there alot of gas stations right on the highway or do you have to get off?????

Sorry for asking so many questions....very nervous and we leave in 33 days......yikes....

You have to get off most times but it's not that bad...it's just not like what you find on the 401. We stopped once at about 1 am (couldn't find a motel...made the mistake of not reserving one in 2001) and didn't have a problem...as long as you time it for a larger town, you shouldn't have a problem.

We drive back and forth from Atlanta to Toronto twice per year.
Here are my thoughts.....
- I like the 77/79 route (we start at I-85, instead of I-95) BUT if the weather is bad, it is a much more stressful drive. We went that way northbound at Xmas last year. We had freezing rain through the mountains at night and it wasn't a very pleasant drive. We decided to stop at that point, but couldn't find adequate accommodation for at least 45 - l hr after we wanted to stop. The other thing is, I'm not sure about the abundance of 24 gas, but there are much further distances between cutoffs. For example 1-75 has gas/logging at just about every 5-10 miles or so. You can drive through West Virginia without somewhere to stop for 1/2hr - 1 hr depending on where you are.
- If you are planning on driving straight through and are going 77/79/95, try to plan it that you are driving through the WVa mountains during daylight. This will help if you run into any rain.
- as far as time difference, there isn't that much depending on where/when you stop. I-75 is a easier drive, so I guess you can get where you are going a bit faster (If you know what I mean)
- I LOVE Dave Hunter's book "Along 75" We drove back this summer southbound on 75, and I followed along with the book the whole way. The book describes historical and interest stories (Very interesting civil war stuff when you enter GA!) It was a great time passer, and you can actually decide exactly which restaurant to stop and when. So, because of the book, I'd say I much prefer the I-75 route now. (Although those starting from Toronto will have that BORING 401 drive to start their journey :rolleyes: .....at least this way you can stock up on Tim's :)
I hope this helps, and happy driving!

Over the years we've driven all of the routes and we now swear by the I75 route. It might be boring on the 401 -- I drove the stretch between Toronto and Windsor for 3 years every other weekend while I went to school in Windsor and yup it's boring. One advantage to the I75 route is once you're on it in Detroit that's it, you're on it til Florida -- it's hard to get lost. For those of us with directional challenges this is a definite consideration.

But the main reason we like the I75 is Dave Hunter's book "Along the I75". The book allowed us to stop at the 2 Timmy's in Ohio -- absolute must stops. We can also decide that we want to eat at some particular restaurant and be able to tell where one is as the book as all the hotels, food and gas for each exit. The tidbits of info in the book are also amazing. Really makes the drive go quickly.

We've never really had a problem with bad weather or trucks although occassionally there's been construction -- but what highway doesn't have construction at times. Dave Hunter's website tells you where the construction is before you leave and you can also get an idea for gas prices too.

Just my two cents.

Sharonel,

We're driving down to WDW in November too. The last time we drove to Florida we went in mid-November and the I77/79 route was fine. It is all dependent on the weather. Even if the weather over all is good there can be heavy fog in the morning in the mountains. After you're through the mountains the drive is easy.

Unless there is a bad weather report we'll be using the I77/79 route again. The view when you start coming down out of the mountains is amazing.

If you do a search on I75 and 77/79 in this forum you'll find lots of discussion about which route is better.

The time of year (November seems okay but I wouldn't want to drive through the mountains in winter), the time of day when you're leaving (it's about 10 hours to Beckley, WV where the mountains start and you don't want to drive through them at night) and whether or not you're driving straight are the biggest factors in deciding which route is better. There is also a healthy amount of personal preference. I personally would rather drive through the rural areas then cities.

Many of you have commented on the rather boring 401 freeway between Toronto and Detroit....having driven it myself (and I completely agree...it's a snoozer!) I couldn't help but wonder WHY it's so boring...after all, the land is flat but so are neighboring Michigan and Ohio freeways and I-75 (or any other interstate) doesn't have the same boring feel.

Here's what I came up with...my list of "Why the 401 is so Boring..."

1. possibly too few highway signs going on to tell you where you're at

2. radio reception is terrible....(at least when driven a few years ago...with the exception of London stations, all I seem to pick up are US stations out of Detroit, Cleveland, or Buffalo

3. No interesting billboards to read (is it true Cdn law calls for billboards to be placed so far back off the highway you cannot read them safely....doesn't that defeat the purpose???)

4. Not much in the way of commercial development along the 401 in the small towns it straddles (think..."Stuckeys, Waffle House, and Cracker Barrel)...where are the 200' high signs trying to rope you in to these places???

5. The 401 itself seems a little more treacherous than your average interstate....shoulders aren't paved as wide as they should be....eastbound and westbound traffic too close together in the country....lanes seem narrower than interstate standards...maybe drivers are subconsciously thinking too much about just wanting to get off this road and that makes the trip seem longer and more boring!

Road Warriors, I'm interested in your take on this!

Jersey Shark

I think you're right on all counts jersey shark and I'd add one more.

There's no Along the 401 to tell you interesting tidbits along the way. The book by Dave Hunter certainly makes Ohio interesting because the highway itself really isn't.

We used the I75 last December/January and I have to second (third? fourth?) the praise for Dave Hunter's book "Along the I75". For our family (DH, DS9, DD6, me) it was the first time we'd driven to Florida.

For what it's worth, we started out about 6:45 a.m. from Toronto on Friday December 27th and hit Lima, Ohio for lunch and Georgetown, Kentucky for dinner (where the kids changed into their pyjamas). We stopped for the night in Cleveland, Tennessee (just north of Chatanooga) at about 10:45 p.m. at a Jameson Inn, and by this time the kids had been asleep for about 2 hours. The cost was $68, including taxes and a continental breakfast. The total mileage for that day was 1,358.2 km. We lost some time that day with a rush hour delay in Cincinnati, construction, and a prolonged lunch stop.

The second day we hit the road at 6:30 a.m., stopped for lunch just north of the Florida border, and drove up to our WDW hotel at 6:09 p.m. (956.2 km, for a total distance of 2,314.4 km). Since it was a Saturday we had lighter traffic, even through Atlanta.

We definitely liked the idea of driving further the first day and having an easier second day. The book was helpful in telling us, for example, where we could find an exit with both a McDonalds and a human fast food outlet for the adults. It also helped with finding name brand gas stations and suggested Jameson Inns as being clean, reasonably priced and reliable. (We found that to be true, and also stayed in one on our way home).

We'll be using the I75 on our trip this December, too.

We have driven down to Orlando a few times in the last 3 years. As we live in eastern Ontario we take I81 to Virginia and then I66 east to I95. We found the traffic very heavy this past April. Not sure what we will try next time. I saw a write up for a new I95 travel guide that may be helpful.

http://www.drivei95.com/

John

A quick couple of comments on the routes to FL....

a) rather meaningless to comment on a highway that had "lots of traffic"....was it Wash DC during rush hour? Generally speaking once you're in the southern states (anywhere south of DC along 95 or south of Cinci along 75) traffic generally becomes lighter.

b) finding fuel/food/services these days as an issue?? The signage for such services is plastered all over the interstates and failing that, just look for how far the next town will be to plan when you'll stop. Failing that, in the small towns lining the interstates, the Texacos and Mobils and Exxons of the world compete with one another by placing 200' high signs to grab your attention!! You'd really have to be BLIND to miss them!
Besides, even if you find them after hours...most gas stations are now open 24 hours even without staffing by attendants (just use your credit card!) What would be prudent when driving anywhere is never let your tank get below one-quarter full!

c) the best overall quality economy lodging chain I have found is the Fairfield Inn by Marriott....all rooms guaranteed to be clean, comfortable, run by staff who really are well-trained to take care of you, and the free continental breakfast is a nice touch too.
Marriott is invading Canada in a big way these days....you'll soon see these popping up all over the place in Canada.

Happy motoring!

a) rather meaningless to comment on a highway that had "lots of traffic"....was it Wash DC during rush hour? Generally speaking once you're in the southern states (anywhere south of DC along 95 or south of Cinci along 75) traffic generally becomes lighter.

Not sure I agree with that one Jersey Shark. We hook up with I95 near Fredericksberg and found traffic somewhat heavy all the way south. Coming home was awful. Traffic coming to an absolute standstill and then starting up again all for no apparant reason. Of course those who decide the passing lane is theirs and they will stay there no matter that they are driving 50 mph don't help matters any.:tongue:

So by busy, I meant that on this last trip I found I95 to be much 'busier' than any of our other 4 trips in the last 5 years.

John

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter