Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

Wakey

DIS Veteran
Well, I just visited the resort. I expected great things and was planning to stay in summer. Sorry if this sounds a little negative, but I wondered what others thought, maybe I am in the minority.

I’d say it’s OK but my least favourite DVC resort.

The location is not great. Yes it’s on the Skyliner, which seems to stop working a lot (I was at Beach Club and rode it a lot and got stuck a few times- once for 15+ minutes) but it’s stuck on this piece of land next to a road with very few positive benefits to the land at all. It also seems odd stood in the pool area with the French music etc, looking at Caribbean Beach. The good thing about the location is the access to the path around the lake- good for runners like me.

The standard view rooms would be a big no no for us- just a large car park and road to look at. Yes many standard views look onto car parks or access roads, but not just a great big car park devoid of much landscaping, trees etc.

Coupled with the grey building, of which I am not a fan, the resort did very little for us and from the car park side looks like some airport hotel. How come Grand Destino Tower looks great and this building looks so drab? When the sun is not shining it looks worse- it would probably have looked great in white?

The lobby is small, and not much going on.

On a positive note the pool area was quite nice, and those murals are beautiful.

This resort is not worth the points to us, despite the great rooms. But I’m sure some will love it, the good thing about DVC is the differing resorts to suit different tastes.

I am disappointed as I was looking forward to staying here, but my wife said she will not stay and I would rather be elsewhere as well, although I do wonder if we would be so negative after a stay? What’s the views of those who have stayed, non owners, in particular? Mabye the excellent rooms win you over?

We have no desire to stay there. I'm afraid of the skyliner and the theming looks kinda boring. Plus, we're big fans of the 1 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms and a 3rd bed like the sleeper chair or TV murphy bed. We're about to stay at wilderness and boardwalk in a few weeks, but the theme of wilderness and location of boardwalk makes up for the lack of room amenities.

My wife and I walked around a bit on opening day. Granted, we did not see inside any of the rooms and the rooms look extremely good from what I can see online. We also did not go to the top to check out the amazing view. However, we found the lobby underwhelming and the approach from the lobby from the sky liner to be confusing and underwhelming as well (the primary approach seems to be by car). The latest Disney Dish podcast discussed the Tower Studio rooms and said that they are uncomfortably tiny and poorly lit so I can't envision ever staying there. I also do not like having a Caribbean resort in the sight line and the overall aesthetic is a bit generic and not to my taste.

That being said, the larger rooms look lovely, and Topolino is getting good reviews so that alone will push us to try it one visit. I also like the coffee shop in the lobby - all DVC and deluxe properties would have full service coffee shops on premises if I had my way. It's on the expensive side in terms of point cost per night given what it is in my opinion so I can't imagine it being a regular thing but I would like to try it before I completely dismiss it.

Wakey, I know you are a fan of SSR (where I own and also enjoy). In many ways, Riviera seems the opposite of that. Everything is very compact and there not much in easy walking distance. I agree with you that it's good that DVC has some variety in their offerings.

We have no desire to stay there. I'm afraid of the skyliner and the theming looks kinda boring. Plus, we're big fans of the 1 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms and a 3rd bed like the sleeper chair or TV murphy bed. We're about to stay at wilderness and boardwalk in a few weeks, but the theme of wilderness and location of boardwalk makes up for the lack of room amenities.

The 1br at RIV sleep 5 - 2 in the queen murphy and another in the single murphy below the TV.

Chances are you aren't the only one underwhelmed by the Riviera. But the chances are equally as good there are many others who are very impressed with the Riviera.

Keep in mind that DVC is large enough to cater to a wide variety of tastes. Each of us can walk on to any of the 15 DVC properties and say "Wow, I love this!" or "Wow, this is definitely not for me!" There are no winners or losers in this game.

We tend to sample all the resorts, but honestly I don't know that we'll try Riviera. I just looked up a typical week when we go to WDW, and Riviera is 106 points more than our usual resort (BRV) which is not exactly a low point resort. I think Riviera looks very nice but that point schedule just isn't in line with the experience, IMHO. Disney seems to be banking on the Sky Liner being every bit as attractive as the monorail in driving demand. Not sure it is there yet, especially with the ongoing issues that are being reported.

Chances are you aren't the only one underwhelmed by the Riviera. But the chances are equally as good there are many others who are very impressed with the Riviera.

Keep in mind that DVC is large enough to cater to a wide variety of tastes. Each of us can walk on to any of the 15 DVC properties and say "Wow, I love this!" or "Wow, this is definitely not for me!" There are no winners or losers in this game.

Couldn't agree with you more, Wil.

It is obvious some people already have their favorite DVC resorts and anything else pales in comparison. I have learned not to judge a resort until I stayed there.

IMO how large or beautiful a lobby is meaningless at a DVC resort. It is more important that the resort has lots of areas for people to sit and enjoy a drink, a snack or the view, get a meal, or even read or search the internet. Dispersing the guests makes the lobby more attractive and inviting. Where as one that has many guests hanging out there with their luggage waiting for a bus or for a room to be ready is not very welcoming for new arrivals.

True- I acknowledged that. I suppose I’m just disappointed as it’s the only one we don’t even want to try and stay in. We have stayed in one me and my wife didn’t much care for (but my son loved) AKL (we don’t like the lack of walking and running spaces) but my son loves it so we will probably go back. Riviera is the only one the whole family said no to. I am a 1 bed sleep around booker- I like to stay in different resorts to give me different vacations each time. That’s why I bought in. Suppose I’m disappointed one is not included in that list from the off. Looks like Reflections will be more our scene.

I was thinking more about Riviera since I posted above. I think it’s the location alone that’s putting us off staying. If the same building and pools were set in a nicer area, surrounded by landscaping and trees, I may be more won over. We just stayed in BLT and we love that one, despite it not having a great aesthetic, but location and other positives outweigh the aesthetic negatives with BLT.

As suggested above, I know it’s best to stay in one to judge. I’m interested to hear anyone who was on the fence, owning elsewhere who stayed there and changed their opinion,

I saw it last week. Have no huge desire to stay there. But that has little to do with being underwhelmed overall. I don't like how close it is to a major road. And I think the point totals are not in line with its location.

But I think they did a great job. I toured it last week. I love the artwork, the walking paths, the classic grey exterior (insert smile!), the bar area.

And when I could actually ride the gondolas, I loved them! Twice they were down when I went over just to check them out.

I saw it last week. Have no huge desire to stay there. But that has little to do with being underwhelmed overall. I don't like how close it is to a major road. And I think the point totals are not in line with its location.

But I think they did a great job. I toured it last week. I love the artwork, the walking paths, the classic grey exterior (insert smile!), the bar area.

And when I could actually ride the gondolas, I loved them! Twice they were down when I went over just to check them out.

Yes I loved the gondola as well when it was working, it’s great, they just need to get it more reliable. I think they should have painted the hotel white, I,m not sure this grey is classic, maybe you are 🙃 joking. I live in Europe and don’t see many buildings like that. The hotel has largely been influenced by Le Negresco I think, which is white with a bit of Carlton which is beige. I’m struggling to recall a grey one 🙃

It is good you were able to visit and get a feel before you booked to stay there, Nothing more disappointing than thinking you will find something enjoyable and not,

Before DVC, I tried several times to try different resorts instead of Contemporary Every time we got there, within a day, I was changing resorts,,,which, when you stay cash, you lose any discount you had!,,

I had the same reaction when I walked in to stay at AKV that you had with Rivera. It was only for 3 nights and my DD was with me who loved it, but had I hated and haven't been back.

You won’t be alone and that is okay because you have so many other great places to choose! I agree that the artwork is truly amazing!,,

I’m at the Riviera right now having dinner at Topolinos. Quick impressions is that I think it’s very nice. I’m not sure my children would like it here.

As far as dinner so far at Topolinos, it has been exceptional. The veal tomahawk chop is outstanding.

The location so close to the busy road is also what puts me off from this resort. It somehow makes it feel much less deluxe? I was surprised at just how close the road was when I took a ride on the Skyliner back in October before the resort opened.

I think they should have painted the hotel white, I,m not sure this grey is classic, maybe you are 🙃 joking

Yes I was playing with you about your aversion to the building's colour. :laughing:

I got a kick out of how seriously you took the colour of Riviera. But hey I get rather testy when I see even a smidgen of the outside world at any Disney resort. So we all have something!

We are not DVC owners though we've stayed in 7 DVC resorts (mostly 1- and 2-bedrooms) and, among the 7, have stayed at BCV and BWV multiple times. We just stayed in a 1-bedroom, standard view at RIV and really enjoyed our stay though I will say we felt there were pros and cons to the resort (but we find there are pros and cons to all of the resorts).

Pros:

The 1-bedroom unit was quite large and very quiet! The biggest plus was the wall, pull-down murphy bed was SO much more comfortable than the pull-outs we are used to in the other 1-bedroom DVC units. This is enough to make me book again as we started booking 2-bedrooms as my DS12 got older simply so he could have a real bed to sleep on. The wall, pull-down at RIV will save us a ton of money over booking 2-bedrooms elsewhere

Location - we really liked it, but we are EP lovers, so I loved the quick Skyliner ride back and forth (it never went down when we were on it, so I know this only applies when it's working properly!). I was hugely impressed when it only took me about 20 minutes to get back to RIV after EP Forever on Dec. 30! I could not have done that by bus, boat or foot.

The staff was bending over backwards to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

The food - it was REALLY good, particularly the QS food!

The cafe - so cute and the coffee was good!

Standard view - we were on the 7th floor quite high up so I really didn't notice the parking lot. I had a direct view of Spaceship Earth, the EP fireworks and could see the MK fireworks as well. I will always book standard at RIV and request a high floor as I LOVE Spaceship Earth!

Cons:

The pool - it was quite boring and really not well-themed, IMHO. We did like the location of the QS, pool bar and gelato cart right by the pool, however, making grabbing lunch or dinner there really convenient

The lobby - too small, though pretty. We were there over the holidays, so the crowds might be thinner during different seasons.

The design of the QS cashier area. The QS just isn't well designed. The cashier area is pushed up close to the front of the restaurant and it means the line to order backs up into the hallway of the resort - it was a big of a strange set up. I don't think they thought through the traffic flow in this location. I did love that they give you a tracker so you can sit down and wait for them to bring your food to you.

We already have the same room booked for March. I will continue to monitor pricing for other resort villas, but as long as RIV prices out the same or less than some of our other favorites, I will always consider booking there. Again, the comfort of that larger murphy bed was a game-changer for our family.

There are many reasons why individuals like or don't like something and all are perfectly valid... for that individual. I do enjoy the perspectives of many different DVC members, but after 20 years or so of DVC, I pretty much already know what I like and what I don't like so I do tend to put more weight behind the reviews of folks who are somewhat like minded when it comes to restaurants, resorts, and rides. The various Riviera threads have been interesting, to say the least!

We are not DVC owners though we've stayed in 7 DVC resorts (mostly 1- and 2-bedrooms) and, among the 7, have stayed at BCV and BWV multiple times. We just stayed in a 1-bedroom, standard view at RIV and really enjoyed our stay though I will say we felt there were pros and cons to the resort (but we find there are pros and cons to all of the resorts).

Pros:

The 1-bedroom unit was quite large and very quiet! The biggest plus was the wall, pull-down murphy bed was SO much more comfortable than the pull-outs we are used to in the other 1-bedroom DVC units. This is enough to make me book again as we started booking 2-bedrooms as my DS12 got older simply so he could have a real bed to sleep on. The wall, pull-down at RIV will save us a ton of money over booking 2-bedrooms elsewhere

Location - we really liked it, but we are EP lovers, so I loved the quick Skyliner ride back and forth (it never went down when we were on it, so I know this only applies when it's working properly!). I was hugely impressed when it only took me about 20 minutes to get back to RIV after EP Forever on Dec. 30! I could not have done that by bus, boat or foot.

The staff was bending over backwards to make sure we enjoyed our stay.

The food - it was REALLY good, particularly the QS food!

The cafe - so cute and the coffee was good!

Standard view - we were on the 7th floor quite high up so I really didn't notice the parking lot. I had a direct view of Spaceship Earth, the EP fireworks and could see the MK fireworks as well. I will always book standard at RIV and request a high floor as I LOVE Spaceship Earth!

Cons:

The pool - it was quite boring and really not well-themed, IMHO. We did like the location of the QS, pool bar and gelato cart right by the pool, however, making grabbing lunch or dinner there really convenient

The lobby - too small, though pretty. We were there over the holidays, so the crowds might be thinner during different seasons.

The design of the QS cashier area. The QS just isn't well designed. The cashier area is pushed up close to the front of the restaurant and it means the line to order backs up into the hallway of the resort - it was a big of a strange set up. I don't think they thought through the traffic flow in this location. I did love that they give you a tracker so you can sit down and wait for them to bring your food to you.

We already have the same room booked for March. I will continue to monitor pricing for other resort villas, but as long as RIV prices out the same or less than some of our other favorites, I will always consider booking there. Again, the comfort of that larger murphy bed was a game-changer for our family.

interesting. Good to hear the parking lot view isn’t as bad as it looks from the higher rooms. Agree the rooms are superb. The Murphy beds are a big boon and also being put in SSR now, and BRV after that.

Yes I was playing with you about your aversion to the building's colour. :laughing:

I got a kick out of how seriously you took the colour of Riviera. But hey I get rather testy when I see even a smidgen of the outside world at any Disney resort. So we all have something!

I think the colour is a real negative when it’s overcast. As you approach on the Skyliner it looks like a big grey box. Not aesthetically pleasing in overcast weather. I think it being white would have improved it no end, but white will take more upkeep I’d guess.

interesting. Good to hear the parking lot view isn’t as bad as it looks from the higher rooms. Agree the rooms are superb. The Murphy beds are a big boon and also being put in SSR now, and BRV after that.

Good to know! Opens up so many possibilities for us! I really wish they would put them in BCV and/or BWV!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!