Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

I had booked a tower studio at DRR for a solo trip this coming August (I like to say I've stayed at all the WDW DVC resorts, so "needed" to do a stay at DRR ASAP!)...but then, when I was at WDW (w/family) in January, on a couple of different days I took the Skyliner over from HS and Epcot......I found while I didn't dislike DRR at all, neither did I particularly like it...it just didn't feel like Disney to me. The resort and its grounds are pretty, and I'd have enjoyed the jogging path around Caribbean Beach, I'm sure...but it felt like I was at "any ol' high-end hotel," not like I was at Disney.

And, when it turned out that while I'd expected to really love the Skyliner, I didn't, I concluded that there was no real reason for me to stay at DRR. (About the Skyliner: it didn't scare me, exactly; but I was a little bit uneasy on it and I didn't find the overhead view of "down below" particularly inspiring either.) So I canceled my DRR reservation and booked my solo trip at BLT instead...

So, I'm also not a fan of DRR, although I certainly wouldn't refuse to stay there and I definitely don't dislike it. I just prefer any other DVC resort (except for the WL resorts--I will not ever go back there--very bad experience there a few years ago and I'm not over it yet)...It kind of surprises me--normally, the higher the cost (money, points or calories) of something, the more I love it! It's unusual for me to prefer something that costs less (points, money or calories!)...

I have a dinner reservation for Topolino's for my May trip and am looking forward to that--the restaurant is getting rave reviews...but visiting the restaurant(s) will be good enough for me...

I tried to get breakfast at Primo Piatto this morning at 8:15. The line did not move and the mobile order app told me that it was closed. I eventually gave up and ate at DHS. I’m disappointed because it looked really good.

I tried to get breakfast at Primo Piatto this morning at 8:15. The line did not move and the mobile order app told me that it was closed. I eventually gave up and ate at DHS. I’m disappointed because it looked really good.
What time were you there? Are you staying at Riviera right now?

What time were you there? Are you staying at Riviera right now?

No. I’m staying at Kidani. I got my boarding pass for ROTR and wanted breakfast. I figured I’d take the Skyliner to Riviera and eat there.

Oh cool. What did you think of Riviera?

I had dinner at Topolinos last month. My opinion hasn’t really changed too much since then. I like it but I don’t think I’ll buy any points there. I plan on doing a stay with my family next year to really try it out.

Today I’m not loving the Skyliner. It’s really windy and it was swaying pretty bad going over CBR.

Just to remind folks that comparing DVC properties to Disney hotels is not entirely accurate or fair

Ummmm its completely fair. BWV/BWI are all the same structure and hotel. Not sure why I care what is BWI or BWV as far as amenities when its all one resort. So can I not count the boardwalk as an amenity then?

I'd be willing to bet that Disney is having a bit of a problem renting Riviera for full price

I was showing someone at work when I was traveling last week the prices. They laughed at the $500/night cost for the tower studios. Can't remember the dates they randomly looked at.

Finally visited in person today and still feel the same as I did when I rode by on the Skyliner back in October - meh. I had breakfast at Primo Piatti and it was yummy but the setup in there is awful. It was not particularly busy but there was quite a backup to order and I found the placement of the beverage area and coolers to be odd. The pool actually seemed better in person than it had seemed to me from photos and videos. As others have said, the lobby and shop are sort of underwhelming. I did like the little library area but I would have preferred it to be tucked away in a slightly quieter spot - there is lots of coming and going in that area.
I will say that all of the cast members were lovely and friendly and the public restrooms were quite nice.
I stayed at Gaylord Palms for a night at the end of a WDW trip years ago to see the ICE thing they do at Christmas and while it was a lovely hotel with a lot of fun theming my family and I all agreed that it was lacking something that the Disney resorts have. Sitting by the pool there you were aware of the road just beyond the fence. Disney resorts always make me feel a world away from anywhere else. Riviera felt similar to Gaylord Palms to me - it feels like you are right on the edge of Disney property and seeing so many other non Disney hotel high rises from the resort ruins the magic a bit for me. I think I could overlook the small lobby and less expansive footprint if the resort was located in a more set apart piece of land. I just think about the way the drive up to Wilderness Lodge feels or walking all the way around Crescent Lake or looking out over the savannas at AKL and this is not that at all. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I visited for the first time last week. To start, as a younger DVC owner with no children, I think I'm drawn more to a resort with understated theming. With that in mind, I was really impressed by Riviera. Yes, the lobby is modest and I don't see myself wanting to spend any more time in that space than is necessary, I still think they nailed the boutique/luxury feel that is lacking at WDW. A few positives for me: the food was great, easy access to a beer or cocktail courtesy of Le Petit, those mosaics are quite impressive, the Skyliner is game-changing and I love bocce! (btw, can any DVC member use that court?). Taking all of this into consideration, I added on......at Copper Creek! Those resale restrictions are just ridiculous. 🤪

How has the skyliner been? I think thats what really is make or break for this one. If the skyliner works well, it's great because of how much DHS and Epcot are expanding.

I just got back from my first DVC stay (split stay BLT and BWV). I really enjoyed both of those resorts. I have a July reservation for RIV and decided to take the skyliner over and check it out. Unfortunately, while the rooms do seem nice in pics/videos, the resort itself....I just wan't a fan of anything I saw. I wanted to like RIV, but it's a pass for me. July is now poly lake view.

Last edited:
Was the BLT lobby an afterthought? I vaguely recall needing to check-in at the Contemporary in the early days of BLT.

They decided to add a check in desk at BLT after a few years. When it opened check in was at CR. I really liked the BLT lobby prior to the check in being added. It had a big tree during the Christmas season but the desk was placed where it used to go.

p1737358942-4.jpg

p1736980399-5.jpg

Of course CR used to get the Mickey Head Wreath.....

p1859734560-4.jpg

They decided to add a check in desk at BLT after a few years. When it opened check in was at CR. I really liked the BLT lobby prior to the check in being added. It had a big tree during the Christmas season but the desk was placed where it used to go.

p1737358942-4.jpg

p1736980399-5.jpg

Of course CR used to get the Mickey Head Wreath.....

p1859734560-4.jpg

I think if they were doing it now they’d have the iPad check in and maybe 1 desk.

So we finally got a chance to see our home resort last weekend. We could not get a room there but drove over from OKW for lunch and a quick walk around.

I would like to thank the many naysayers on this tread who helped lower my expectations! I expected to find a tiny lobby but was pleasantly surprised at its size, look and theming. I expected to find a small useless store and instead found it to be fine. The QS was not too busy but it was a bit slow, was very surprised by the overall size and number of tables since the QS at deluxe resorts are usually much smaller. And most importantly, lunch was very good. We sat in the library area with our desert and it was a great little spot to hang out.

With all the complaints about it being nestled amongst a moderate resort, I was also pleasantly surprised with the drive into it – all you see is Riviera. Until you go out back, you don’t even know CBR is there.

Also tried the skyliner for the first time, I’m no fan of heights or swinging in the air from a string but it was great, no motion or height issues at all for me. As long as they solved the slowdowns/breakdowns, it will be a great addition to the transportation options.

This non-park long weekend trip allowed us to visit a number of DVC resorts and the complaints about the lobby, store, and quick serve really ring hollow now that I have seen what the other DVC focused resorts have to offer: OKW – similar lobby size, slightly bigger store, no comparison on the hole in the wall QS and the studio felt really cramped compared to the RIV model rooms; BLT – tiny lobby, no theming; BCV – really nothing special about the lobby or theming; SSR – cavernous lobby…but why…seems like a giant waste of space, small store, decent QS, and again, minimalist theming. I’m not sure why so many expected Riviera to depart from the way most of the other DVC only resorts were designed.

Our first stay there will be later this year so we will see how the overall experience goes but so far, so good.

So we finally got a chance to see our home resort last weekend. We could not get a room there but drove over from OKW for lunch and a quick walk around.

I would like to thank the many naysayers on this tread who helped lower my expectations! I expected to find a tiny lobby but was pleasantly surprised at its size, look and theming. I expected to find a small useless store and instead found it to be fine. The QS was not too busy but it was a bit slow, was very surprised by the overall size and number of tables since the QS at deluxe resorts are usually much smaller. And most importantly, lunch was very good. We sat in the library area with our desert and it was a great little spot to hang out.

With all the complaints about it being nestled amongst a moderate resort, I was also pleasantly surprised with the drive into it – all you see is Riviera. Until you go out back, you don’t even know CBR is there.

Also tried the skyliner for the first time, I’m no fan of heights or swinging in the air from a string but it was great, no motion or height issues at all for me. As long as they solved the slowdowns/breakdowns, it will be a great addition to the transportation options.

This non-park long weekend trip allowed us to visit a number of DVC resorts and the complaints about the lobby, store, and quick serve really ring hollow now that I have seen what the other DVC focused resorts have to offer: OKW – similar lobby size, slightly bigger store, no comparison on the hole in the wall QS and the studio felt really cramped compared to the RIV model rooms; BLT – tiny lobby, no theming; BCV – really nothing special about the lobby or theming; SSR – cavernous lobby…but why…seems like a giant waste of space, small store, decent QS, and again, minimalist theming. I’m not sure why so many expected Riviera to depart from the way most of the other DVC only resorts were designed.

Our first stay there will be later this year so we will see how the overall experience goes but so far, so good.

I wonder if you’ll feel the RIV point premium over all those other resorts you listed was worth it after you stay there.

I wonder if you’ll feel the RIV point premium over all those other resorts you listed was worth it after you stay there.

Not PP, but I can tell you it will be for me, especially since my other resorts of choice are BLT, VGF, and BCV, all which cost me a similar level of points.

It’s a beautiful resort but not for everyone.

RivShore you have some good points, but to suggest the lobby at Beach Club is no good, I would not agree, it’s a lovely lobby and full of atmosphere at Christmas for example. There is no comparison between Beach Club and RIV in my opinion.
I agree if BLT was stuck on its own like RIV it’s lobby would be a lackluster set up, but having stayed at BLT, the facilities and lobby are really all over the bridge in Contemporary which we went into every day at Xmas, and the quick serve there is very good.
OKW and SSR are a different type of resort , more like small towns, where going to the lobby is much less frequent. Some people like that style, some not, but they are not self contained hotels. The quick serve at OKW is lackluster, it was a new concept as DVC and clearly they did better quick serves following on.
The shop I could not comment on as I never buy anything from shops generally so never went in.
I am glad you like it, as it is a risk buying sight unseen.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!